Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2011 3:35:37 AM PST
This author rationalizes foolish behavior and seems to think "everybody does it":

"We're wired to avoid pain and pursue pleasure and security. It feels right to sell when everyone around us is scared and buy when everyone feels great. It may feel right-but it's not rational." -Carl Richards

His own words summarize the situation nicely:

"I felt we could afford around $350,000. ... We ended up buying the house and paid the asking price of $575,000. ... I should have known better." -Carl Richards

I fail to see how this is anything but a tale of short-sighted selfishness.

For further insight on this author and his story, see the MSNBC piece at: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45221933/

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 9:12:36 AM PST
Steve Heller says:
Anyone who buys this book is enabling the author to continue acting foolishly. Read the MSNBC piece referenced above and you'll see why he should be living in a cardboard box.

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 10:03:00 AM PST
A Customer says:
No, I'll not be buying this fool's book. Spent money like a drunken sailor, bought a house he couldn't afford, then took out a SECOND mortgage, and left US, the taxpayer's holding the bag. Claims to be a "financial pro", and is trying to hawk a book on us. STAY AWAY from this guy.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 10:20:40 AM PST
Jaxsue says:
I'm not a "financial pro" like the author, yet I managed to not overbuy or overextend myself during the heady days of heavily-inflated housing prices. I always did 20% down on a home I could afford. That home's now paid for. How'd that go for YOU, Mr. Richards?
Thanks, but I'll take financial advice from myself, not from some guy who acted irrationally and left people like myself holding the bag.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Nov 10, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about