Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Carl Zeiss Optical Inc Monocular (5x10 T MiniQuick)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on November 12, 2008
Backpackers and fishermen that occasionally need longer views and spotting, this is it. It's is lighter than most pens, so you have no excuse to leave it. Optics are a high quality multi (crisp with negligible edge distortion) with a decent exit pupil and field size for such a small tool. Focus ring is smooth and useful range (I estimate about 5 foot to infinity through a just over 360 degree twist). Shirt clip is small but stout and reliable.

Don't expect to bird much with this small package, but it is great for watching a fishing heron, deer, and landmark spotting. Holding it can be a bit dainty, but I found that by adding a light enveloping fist around the tube after focusing, I can adequately brace against my orbit to stabilize very fine detail. I found that half a very small dropper bottle covers the ocular lens securely on the tapered optics tube, which I think is a good idea since the optics will generally be exposed at the top of your shirt pocket otherwise. With the objective lens down and in my pocket, it is safe.

It is however not waterproof as I found inadvertently in the laundry. I contacted Zeiss service for advice on drying etc., and they graciously replaced it. Quite unexpected, but they have earned my return business.
on August 24, 2009
After trying several other "pocket" scopes over the years I've finally got the real deal, which goes to prove dad's old bit of wisdom; "Buy Cheap, Buy Twice" (or more!)
The Zeiss MiniQuick is a really exceptional blend of form and function.
World famous Zeiss optics in a package the size of a large fountain pen or marker.
So light you don't even notice it in your pocket.
As an every day carry optical aid you couldn't really ask for more.
This little wonder would make a very thoughtful gift for hunters, hikers, fisherman and other outdoor folk. Especially backpackers, kayakers and others who like to travel light.

Here's a tip:
Once you get the focus where you like it, hold your scope slightly recessed in your fist and steady your hand against your eye socket and cheek. Steady, Eddie.
on May 27, 2009
It's hard not to like this monocular, you will not find a smaller, lighter monocular on the market. Unfortunately, image quality is just fair. I tried about a dozen different monoculars looking for the ideal one, and this one just wasn't it for me.

If size and weight are the most important factors for you, then this is by far the best choice. With it's pen clip you can easily carry this in a shirt pocket. It's just a little bigger in diameter than a ball point pen, and about the same weight. It's also easy to focus.

While there is nothing bad about the image quality, it's nothing special either. I could honestly make out distant objects at the same resolution with an $18 Carson 7 x 18 monocular.

A good alternative to this model would be the Nikon 6x15 Monocular II. While it's certainly bulkier than the Zeiss, it will still slip very easily into a shirt pocket and is still relatively light. The Nikon offers vastly superior image quality in my opinion.
on March 26, 2012
I have carried one of these around in my pocket for decades. It is enough to see whats going on without being too heavy. I dropped one and it went to pieces, but Zeiss replaced it immediately, without question. It has doubled in price over the years, but is still worth it.
on October 31, 2010
The Miniquick monocular is a true masterpiece of ultra-portable optics, which is exceptionally light (0.84 ounces), durable, and gives excellent image quality; however, you may need to consider the following limitations before buying it.

() While it gives a high image quality in daylight, it is less effective for dim lighting. This limitation is inevitable for an ultra-portable monocular, since a small-diameter objective lens is inherently insufficient for collecting enough light in semi-darkness.

() While its length is slightly smaller than that of a pen, its diameter is noticeably greater than that of a pen. Overall, its size is roughly the same as that of a white board marker. It does NOT fit comfortably into a shirt pocket (unless you are used to carrying a white board marker in your pocket).

() The optics quality is not superior to other small monoculars, such as Brunton Echo and Carson Close-Up, while the price is much higher ($140 vs. $15-$20). The main advantage that you get for the high price is very small weight, as Miniquick is 3-4 times as light as other similar monoculars.
on January 16, 2011
I bought this for my dad, who is majorly into birding, for Christmas. He has a pair of super expensive Carl Zeiss binoculars that he uses when he actually goes birding, but he didn't have anything to keep in his car or on his body in case he saw something but didn't have his heavy binos with him. This is where the monocular comes in now. I knew Carl Zeiss was a good brand, but I'm on a budget and ended up getting this. The bang for the buck (according to him) is fantastic, and it's the perfect thing to keep in his pocket or in his car if he ever has to look at something moderately far away.

It doesn't have a huge zoom, but it is crystal clear, and the focus works well.

It's a great gift, and I'm surprised he likes it as much as he does given how picky he is about his birding stuff.

Happy hunting!
on February 25, 2014
while i found this unit to be all that was advertised, and the view quality to be clear, I was somewhat disappointed in its power. It fit nicely into my backpack, but did eventually break - about 4 months after purchase. Next time, I'll choose a cheaper, more powerful solution.
on July 2, 2013
This is our third Zeiss monocular. (One was stolen while traveling so we needed to replace it.) We no longer use
binoculars as this instrument is so compact and easy to put in a pocket or purse, and though I wear glasses I have no
trouble focusing on any object or view. Sure wish we had not spent so much money on binoculars in the past
(even those with stabilizing - too heavy!!!) as we will never use anything except a monocular from now on!
on February 1, 2014
I just want to add some information for prospective buyers. Please note that the material used to construct this monocular is primarily plastic. The monocular can be disassembled by unscrewing the eyepiece. The housing tube is constructed of plastic or some type of injected molded resin, as is the focusing ring, the eyepiece housing, and the actual focusing mechanism itself under the focusing ring. I would not say that this is cheaply manufactured, because the precision of the molding appears quite high, however the item as a whole was not as rigid or durable as I had imagined. If you turn the focusing ring too hard at the end of it's travel, you can actually cause the plastic thread within the focusing mechanism to skip/crossthread. If you hold the monocular in between your thumb and index finger in each hand and apply moderate pressure to the middle of the housing, you can actually flex the eyepiece and focusing ring at their plastic threaded attachment points to the body of the monocular.  I think if the body of this device was made of aluminum, it would be more rigidity and this would contribute to it's durability.

On a positive note, the glass is exceptionally clear and well manufactured. However there was an annoying fingerprint stain on the inside of the front lens. The image quality is actually very good. It is clear up to the border of the field of view, and the overall images are crisp and sharp. Actually I have never had optics that were this sharp out to the borders of the FOV. Ultimately, I think that this is what you were actually paying for as well as the size factor.
on December 21, 2008
I carry this and use it often. 5 power isn't 10x but for half the price and convenience it's a bargain. Other optics don't compare to Zeiss.