Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Size: 360|Change

on May 22, 2008
I am a layman. I have provided Vitamin D3 at this dosage to a number of individuals with auto-immune diseases such as type II diabetes, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis and congestive obstructive pulmonary disease. In almost every case, these individuals have experienced a reduction of symptoms. There is a very extensive literature supporting the theory that Vitamin D reduces auto-immune symptoms. Most human cells have a Vitamin D (VDR) receptor and these cells do not mature unless Vitamin D is available. This in itself may explain why Vitamin D3 provides such a wide range of health benefits.

It is also important to assure that you get minimums of calcium (1000 mg), magnesium (500mg) and zinc (15mg) from diet or supplements as Vitamin D "uploads" these minerals from the diet. Many manufacturers provide an inexpensive three (large!) pill daily cal-mag-zinc supplement based on these minimums. You can find these formulations at Walmart and large chain drugstores. They will also carry liquid formulas providing calcium and magnesium.

Vitamin D regulates gene expression, appears to be essential for proper immune system function, fights infection including bacterial infections such as bacterial colds, tuberculosis and bacterial pneumonia, reduces the incidence of cancer, and strengthens bone and muscle. Carlson informs me that the Vitamin D3 this product is made from lanolin (sheep wool fat) irradiated with Ultraviolet B light. As a vegetarian, I appreciate the fact that life is not taken to produce this product.

Spring, fall and summer noontime sunshine exposure provides adequate Vitamin D. Stay out a short time if your skin is light, but stay out longer if your skin is dark. Very light-skinned individuals can make adequate Vitamin D from arm and face noontime exposure in 15 minutes or less. Very dark-skinned individuals may require up to 2 hours to achieve the same level. Skin color is adaptive to sunlight levels, so that people from equatorial regions are darker-skinned and people from Iceland, who are starved for sun and Vitamin D, are very light-skinned. Get it? That's all there is to skin color. It's interesting that primitive cultures living far from the equator prize the few foods that naturally concentrate Vitamin D3, like fish liver oil and sea mammal blubber. Cod liver oil is about the only food supplement that provides a lot of Vitamin D. Milk has a little added and you can get 2000 a day by drinking 20 8-ounce glasses!

It is important that individuals who are not frequently exposed to the sun, who regularly wear sunblock or who are dark-skinned take Vitamin D3 supplements. Also, individuals who are elderly or obese generally require more Vitamin D3. Many researchers feel these groups should take 5,000 i.u. daily. As you get older you have more difficulty absorbing D and fat cells tend to sequester (trap) Vitamin D. If you are too poor to get tested for Vitamin D deficiency but are not frequently exposed to direct sunlight on your skin, I would encourage you to take 2000 i.u. daily of Vitamin D3. The FDA says a daily dose of 2,000 i.u. is completely safe. Other competent researchers feel a dose of 10,000 i.u. is generally safe, and very beneficial in some conditions such as multiple sclerosis. If your physician has not read recent literature about Vitamin D, encourage a thorough review of widely-available research findings on D. One source is [...], Dr. John Cannell's site. You can do your own research. There are many research articles and abstracts available on the Net. Search for "Vitamin D" deficiency to get started.
88 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2008
This is a great value!

One year of vitamin D for $15.00!

Vitamin D deficiency is one of the most common micronutrient deficiencies. And yet, it does not receive the glamour or media coverage as many of the other supplements. Many of these more popular products have much less science behind their alleged benefits than does vitamin D.

Besides being important for optimum bone health and calcium metabolism, vitamin D is being studied for a number of potential beneficial effects on disorders as varied as cancer, atherosclerosis, type 2 diabetes and others. The research is still too preliminary to know how (and if) vitamin D will ever be considered useful for disease prevention (other than osteoporosis). However, the emerging science is exciting all the same.

The conventional wisdom of the long recommended dose of 400 IU day as being adequate is beginning to be disproved. In addition, sun exposure is also often not enough for most individual's requirements. This is true not only in the cold north during the winter but even in sunnier climates.

Many people enjoy nonfat milk and yogurt, which are excellent sources of calcium (about 300mg/cup). However, even though dairy products are one of the best sources of vitamin D in our diet, there is only perhaps 100 IU vitamin D per 8 oz glass.

Many calcium/bone/vitamin D experts, including myself*, recommend 800 to 1200 IU day as the minimum daily dose of vitamin D for most people. Some even recommend more.

Myself, I take 2000 IU day because I was deficient a few years ago. This dose has maintained my blood levels within the optimum range. I do not recommend 2000 IU day for all of my patients unless they too have been shown to be deficient and have had difficulty maintiaining their vitamin D levels with lower daily doses.

Like any vitamin, it is possible to overdose and get too much of a good thing. If you have any question of what your vitamin D status is, or how much vitamin D you should be taking, you should discuss with your doctor. Perhaps laboratory blood testing might be indicated.

The blood test that is used to assess vitamin D status is 25-OH (or 25-Hydroxy)vitamin D. Optimum levels are 25-OH vitamin D levels of between 30 and 80 mg/dl.

*I am a physician who is board certified in: Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism; Clinical Lipidology; General Internal Medicine; and Nutrition. The above comments are my general insights into vitamin D deficiency as well as a review of this product. They are not intended to diagnose or be specific medical recommendations for the care of any given individual. If you have questions, please consult with your physician.
88 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2007
The source of Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) in this product is lanolin, which is sheep wool fat. Lanolin is irradiated with ultraviolet B (UVB) rays to create Vitamin D3. Vitamin D3 is the best source of supplemental Vitamin D. Vitamin D2 which is plant-source, does not metabolize predictably in the human body. This animal-source Vitamin D does not take life. I have found Carlson to be an excellent manufacturer. I believe 2000 iu a day is an appropriate minimal dose for an individual who does not get much direct noontime sun. 2000 iu is the highest safe dose according to the FDA, but current research suggests that 4,000 iu daily of Vitamin D3 is safe and may be essential for dark-skinned individuals or individuals who get no midday sun. There are ample references on the Internet to this issue of dosage.
on May 13, 2013
The top portion of my bottle was filled with actual 2000 IU capsules however when I got to the middle of the bottle I found these "MINI" ones which for sure are not 2000 IU. I have never seen a bottle of any supplement or prescription with different sizes of pills or capsules. I am going to discard the rest of the bottle as I don't know what they have inside. I have also taken some pix of the MINI capsules which I hope I can upload. This is ridiculous!
review image
on June 17, 2012
One of the ingredients on the label reads "may include corn oil". I am suspicious that any corn that is not organic is genetically modified, and I try very hard not to include GMOs in my diet. It is not easy as corn, soy, and canola seem to be everywhere. I contacted the company twice asking if the corn could possibly be GMO and they didn't answer. So I am assuming that the possibility exists. I don't know about the quality of the rest of the product, but I doubt I'll finish the bottle.
on February 20, 2009
Exactly what the doctor ordered and much cheaper than we can obtain it locally. Great product, fast shipping.
on July 9, 2010
Carlson Vitamin D is a good product at a very reasonable price on Amazon. My only gripe is the size of the capsule is larger than it has to be. You can find other brands of Vitamin D 2000iu capsules 1/4 the size of Carlson. I even once received the small size in the Carlson product. Thus, I am surprised to receive the larger size Carlson capsules once again with my latest order. Not a big deal, but a nuisance to those who have to take a daily regimen of multiple pills.
on March 29, 2016
Why Carlson? I've used the Carlson brand over the years and always associated it with the highest quality and put my trust in it. Whenever I've seen reports that dig into the vitamin or supplement industry and find issues with this or that brand, I've not seen the Carlson name ever mentioned. When I have had casual conversations with owners of health food stores and asked for recommendations or somehow come to discuss the Carlson brand, it has been in positive, glowing terms. And in my experience over a couple decades, I've had positive experiences with whatever products I've purchased from Carlson.

Why 2000 IU? Finding the recommended safe dosage is like asking someone which religion is right for you. Unless you specifically had been tested and know you are deficient, it is difficult to pick a number because of variables like age, types of food you eat, etc. I believe 2000 IU is a safe without overdoing amount. And it is very easy to flip to 4000 IU daily by taking 2 soft-gel pills.

I like these pills, they are small enough not to bother me when I take them and they keep very well.
on September 6, 2014
Very good value for what seems to be a high quality product. Are about 2/3 way through our first bottle. Look forward to seeing the results of our blood work The next time we go to the doctor. Will definitely be purchasing another bottle And checking out their other products.
on May 9, 2012
I take about a dozen vitamins & mineral supplements every day. As another reviewer pointed out this purchase gives you a year's worth of Vitamin D for around $15.00. A true bargain. As with all Gel Caps it's easy to swallow & there really is no taste to it. Regarding the X-Date: It's the law that the X-date has to appear on the lable. Carlson Vitamin D3, 360 Soft Gels didn't do us any favors by using font size 5 (just guessing), in black ink, on the brown part of the label. It's on the front of the lable in the brown background where it says Vitamin D3, 2000 IU, 360 Soft Gels. Look to the far left of the "2000 IU", right near the 1463b imprint, & it's printed sideways, in black ink. To see it you probably should use a bright light & shine it at an angle on the imprint and lo & behold, there is the X-Date. So, ya-all place your worries on something else & be glad that at least this part of your life is cheap, quick, simple, & effective.