Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

80%
20%
Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$8.99

on October 27, 2010
I've been a fan of Here Come The Mummies for about 3 or 4 years, I own their previous three albums, and have seen them many times in concert and I gotta say this latest album is awesome, like Libido Knieval awesome.

The first album was great, then Everlasting Party raised the bar with an addictive album that became even more addicting once you saw these guys in concert. Single Entendre came out next and although it has some great hits like "Luscious" and "Libido Kneivel" I didn't find myself listening to most of the songs over and over and over again like I had with the last two cd's. Compared to Everlasting Party (the album that made me a Mummies fan) I felt a bit let down and worried that perhaps the best had passed them by. Not that Single Entendre was horrible, but it's hard to match the amazing stuff in "Everlasting Party".

Luckily, "Carnal Carnival" is what I've been waiting for! This album is full of good songs that only grow on you the more you listen to them.

I'm very happy that HCTM comes right out of the box with an amazing first song to kick us in the face with awesomeness. In my opinion the first song usually makes or breaks the album, and this one hits a home run everytime. The song "Carnal Carnival" has that HCTM energy that you expect from the grooviest undead on the planet. You listen to this song and want to jump up and down and sing real loud as if you were at one of their concerts. You will be listening to this song over and over. THIS is how you start an album!!! This song is just as good as "Believe" and "Tip Toe", and miles ahead of "Ugly". When the first song is this good you know you are in for something special. This will be the next BIG thing at their concerts, I guarantee it.

Next up is "Freak Flag", which continues the momentum from the first song. This song just gets better and better as you keep listening to it (a common thing for songs on this album). I also think this song is going to be popular at their concerts, all of us Mummies fans love letting our "Freak Flag Fly" at their shows,

Song 3 is "Chunky" which is just comical! They slow down the tempo a bit on this one but it's fun to learn the lyrics and listen to.

Song 4 is "Hurricanes, Floods & Fires" which is one of their more generic love songs. It's not a bad song, but it isn't much new if you've heard some of their stuff before and its not one you will be listening to as much as some of the other gems on this album. The song's lyrics just seem a bit too forced to work for me.

Song 5 is "Eye of Horus" and its another great one. It starts off with an odd chorus, which I think the Chorus will be fun at their shows when everyone is singing and dancing like crazy. The more you listen to this song the more it will grow on you. At first I didn't care much for it and now I'm listening to it a lot.

Song 6 is "Love Triangle" and it's probably the best or second best song on the entire cd. I'm not a big fan of their love songs BUT this one has an amazing tune, the lyrics compliment the sound from the instruments, it's really that good. The guitar, bass, trumpets, saxophone, drums, piano, all of it just comes together and sounds so insanely polished that you can't believe HCTM isn't more well known for their music. This is the Mummies at their best.

Right after Love Triangle is the song "Splurge" which is nearly guaranteed to make you lol (that's laugh out loud for you older Mummies out there) like I did the first time I heard it. It's not going to be a song that you remember for an amazing beat or solo but it's just HCTM being silly and having fun. Be sure you listen to this song all the way to the end for the real kicker, there's one phrase that will keep you listening to the song again and again because it's just pure awesome. Only Java the mummy could pull this off btw.

Song 8 is "Stroke of Midnight" which isn't as powerful as the first song or "Love Triangle" but it's still fun to listen to and sing. Although it sounds slightly like generic HCTM I could see this song as being real big at their concerts with how fun it is to sing. Also, be sure to stick around to the end of the song for a sweet sax solo.

Song 9 is "Creepin" one of the better songs on the album. It starts off with this oriental tune and the lyrics are fun to learn/sing. This will probably be another big hit at their shows. The only weird thing with this song is that the singer sounds a lot like weird al at times. This song also shows that HCTM is willing to experiment with the sound of their songs compared to what we've seen in the past. This is kind of uncharted territory for them in a way and its nice to see them taking risks like this.

After "Creepin" is the song "Ho Heave" which will remind you a lot of "Eternity" from the first album "Terrifying Funk from the Grave". It's a slow funky tune with some goofy fun lyrics. Not one of the better songs on the album you'll be repeating in your head all day but I gotta admit it grows on you the more you hear it. This is also the longest song on the album and might be a tad too long (tons of ho heaving) but my guess is the crowd might get into this song during a concert.

Song 11 is "U Can't B Beat" which another slow love song but filled with some pretty funny sexual innuendos we come to expect with HCTM. This is the 2nd longest song on the album at just over 5 minutes long.

Song 12 is "Jailbait" and it speeds up the tempo a bit after the slow song. It's a song about a girl that's "Jailbait", in other words a young girl that is insanely sexy but of course you're too old to have her haha. There's a pretty sweet piano/keyboard solo in this one and the song picks up a bit at the end.

Song 13 is "The Now". It's technically the last full song of the album and it's not too bad, but it seems more like one of the generic HCTM songs, it doesn't end the album on a strong note like "Everlasting Party" does or "Lucious" but that's ok with how strong the album starts. There is also some awesome solos in this one with the Sax then the Drums which I'm sure will be expanded upon in concert. The only thing I don't get is the 20 seconds at the end of the song that is pretty much no noise at all.

Song 14 is "Carnal Carnival Reprise" and is just a nice little way to close out the album, it's only about 57 second long.

Now that we've summed up all the songs, here's some stuff to wrap things up.

Best songs of this album:

Carnal Carnival
Love Triangle
Splurge
Freak Flag
Creepin
Eye of Horus

Not so great songs of the album:

Hurricanes, Floods, and Fires
The Now
Ho Heave

Although I listed good songs and bad songs (of course you might like the ones I don't so please give them all a chance), that was only to help those not wanting the full album pick a couple of songs because nobody should be without at least some Here Come The Mummies! Overall the album is VERY good, just as good as "Everlasting Party" (maybe better?!) and definitely better than "Single Entendre" and the aging "Terrifying Funk from Beyond the Grave".

Final Word:

Downloading this for $9 is a no-brainer for people who like good music and also for anyone that appreciates bands/artists that write their own music and actually play instruments. This is the kind of music AND TALENT that I think more people need to appreciate and support. This is band is amazing and they deserve a lot more attention than a lot of these "fake" "stars" that don't even write their own music and spend their time at concerts lip synching to their fans that paid ten times more to see them than we do to see the Mummies.

This would be a great album to get if you are new to HCTM but it's also a great addition for anyone like me who has their three previous albums and has been following the Mummies for years. It should also be noted that there is a lot of experimentation in here in terms of some of the sounds we hear (some songs are definitely unique sounding for HCTM, Creepin's oriental tune is a good example) and it's good to see them willing to take this risk and push their music forward and give their fans something new to enjoy. Lastly, the audio quality is superb, HCTM just keeps making their cd's sound better and better.

This album is Here Come The Mummies at their best, I can't recommend it enough.
VINE VOICEon March 6, 2011
I had not heard of this group and bought this on a whim. Do you like funky music with crazy risque lyrics, with tight playing? Really puts you in the Mardi Gras mood. Enjoyable and the happy high does not wear off with repeat listens.
on October 7, 2011
This band has put out another great CD. The music is fun, funky, and sexy. The lyrics are a little risque but incredibly clever and fun to sing with. The talent of the band handling their "instruments" is amazing. These guys have real talent and a quirky sense of humor that really shines through and makes them unforgettable. We've seen them 7 or 8 times, any time they come within driving distance. Super excited to add the new CD Bed, Bath and Behind to my collection.
on June 23, 2013
What can I say? This is one of my favorite "fun" groups to listen to. If you don't know their music, you might want to take a listen before buying, but they never fail to make me smile. Great cd!
on August 15, 2013
There are only two bands whom I would reccomend that someone who has never heard their music should buy on faith, and anything by Here Come The Mummies is one of them. Carnal Carnival, with it's soaring horns and infectious rythyms, is like ear candy. My personal favorite is "Creepin'", especially since it features the incredible tenor vocals of now former member Oozie Mummy. Buy a copy today, you won't be disappointed.
on April 17, 2014
Funky rock with some of the most talented musicians and lyricists I've ever heard. Keep on doing what you do best!
on November 23, 2012
I love the mummies their music is so fun though not appropriate for small children, not that they would probably understand it until later in life
on August 19, 2013
This is an great cd with tons of good funky rockin' music. Great combination of talent and humor. Highly recommended!!!
on December 3, 2013
I got this as a birthday gift, they loved this! Here come the mummies are great to listen too, plus see in concert!
on November 28, 2011
This has become my favorite CD. Here come the Mummies are incredible...I never thought I would like Funk so much!