5.0 out of 5 stars Provocative Title, Wonderful Book!
Published on May 17, 2005 by L. Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems like it was written in the 1960's
Published on September 20, 2008 by Lily

5.0 out of 5 stars Provocative Title, Wonderful Book!, May 17, 2005
Ok, I'll admit I thought that CARNAL INNOCENCE had a very strange title and didn't understand the implied reference until I was actually reading the book. Innocence in this case is actually a town in Mississippi. The main female character, Caroline Waverly, is a famous violinist who decides to go to Innocence, Mississippi to get away from a much-publicized break-up with her fiancé. She retreats to her family's quaintly charming old bayou home and begins to learn to relax and enjoy life, something she has never had the opportunity to do.

What she doesn't know is that this town is full of deceptions and people hell-bent on revenge. When a murder victim is found, she begins to question her decision on moving to Innocence. Is the killer the one she's fallen in love with - charming, handsome Tucker Longstreet (ever notice how romance novels always have charming and handsome characters - no ugly, rude ones!). As Caroline tries to figure out her feelings while keeping out of harms way, many things come to light.

CARNAL INNOCENCE is a very good book and definitely worth the price! It's full of suspense, romance, and unexpected twists and turns. I highly recommend reading this book, but make sure you have plenty of free time, because you won't want to put it down!

4.0 out of 5 stars Carnal Innocence, February 22, 2008
Caroline Waverly is a world-renowned violinist in desperate need of some overdue relaxation. She decides that Innocence, Mississippi is the perfect place to find some peace in the only place she has truly ever felt roots. As she makes her grandmother's old home her own, her serenity is shaken when she finds the body of young woman in the lake, and in to the path of a serial killer.

Tucker Longstreet is a true southern gentleman and appears as easy going as a man can get. He enjoys fast cars and faster women, but Caroline is a challenge for him. Tucker is immediately taken with her, and appoints himself her protector. It is then we learn that the good ole boy surface hides a very smart and sharp-witted man.

As the town lives in the grips of fear, Tucker and Caro must identify the killer to have any chance of a future.

This was very well written with wonderful characters. The secondary characters are especially good - LuLu was a scream! This one kept me guessing till the very end!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Murder, Romance & Southern Hospitality!, June 1, 2004
In a hurry, I picked up "Carnal Innocence" for a light read on a long train trip. Not expecting much, (maybe it was the title?), I was surprised to find this Nora Roberts' novel very entertaining.
Carolyn Waverly, a world-class concert violinist takes a much needed break from her high pressured tours and a romance gone sour. She visits her deceased grandparents' home in Innocence, Mississippi, hoping to find the tranquillity she experienced there as a child. As she begins to settle-in and get to know the friendly locals, a murder victim is found on her property - the third victim in a series of serial killings. Apparently the town's most attractive women are being targeted for death. The sheriff and FBI do not know if the murderer is a stranger lurking in the bayou or a lifelong inhabitant of Innocence. To complicate matters for the lovely Caroline, her new beau, (he works fast!), the irresistibly charming, handsome, Tucker Longstreet, is a suspect.
There are a few surprises in the plot and Ms. Roberts' characters are wonderful. Caroline Waverly, who has lead a lonely life on the road, with constant concert tours, is immediately taken into the bosom of the townsfolk. Many remember her as a child and begin to treat her like extended family. The southern warmth and hospitality, along with some local history and characters' foibles, liven up the novel as much as the mystery and romance. A fun, light read - perfect for long train or plane trips!
JANA

4.0 out of 5 stars A who dun it with a dash of romance., July 6, 2001
Denise Bentley "Kelsana" (The California Redwoods) - See all my reviews
Someone in the sleepy little Mississippi town of Innocence is far from innocent. Women are turning up dead and that is just not healthy. Body number three has just shown up in the pond behind Caroline Waverly's home and she's wondering how much rest she is going to get in this little town off the beaten track.
Caroline is a famous concert violinist and has come to stay in her grandmother's house when she realizes that still waters run deep and more goes on in this backwater town than meets the eye. She is swept off her feet by Tucker Longstreet, one of the town's favored sons, unfortunately he is one of the prime suspects. What is a girl to do?
I thought I had it all figured out as I devoured the pages but was pleasantly surprised by the end when I was completely wrong. A good mystery to fill your summer days. Kelsana 7/6/01

5.0 out of 5 stars No words can explain the extrodinary writing of Nora Roberts, January 2, 1999
This book was the first book in a long time that kept me up all hours of the night trying to finish it. It kept me on the edge of my seat and totally engrosed in the plot. Never before have I read something so extrodinary that i felt like I was living in the story. Thank you Nora Roberts for having such a wonderful talent and sharing it with others.

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't see it coming..., June 23, 2006
I pride myself on being able to figure out the culprit in the first few chapters of a mystery. I was completely surprised as to who the murderer turned out to be in 'Carnal Innocence'. This was the first book I've ever read by Nora Roberts and after reading it I have to say that Nora Roberts is one of my new favorite authors. I just loved the smalltown Southern atmosphere that the book revolved around and the characters were so greatly developed that I actually miss them now that I've finished the novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new Nora Roberts Fan!, October 6, 2000
Marcie "nuts about books" (Carpenter, SD, United States) - See all my reviews
I absolutely loved this book. Nora Roberts managed to write a fantastic romance, which, by itself was great, but then wove in a murder mystery and came up with a real winner. The story takes place in a small town in Mississippi called Innocence. A serial murderer is killing women and they are all connected to the Longstreet family, especially Tucker. He is a laid back, kind of lazy, womanizer who had dated the first 3 women killed. The new girl in town, Caroline, has moved into her grandmother's house to recuperate from her hectic life as a concert violinist. Of course she is right in the thick of things from the time she arrives. The mystery is well written and had me guessing from one person to the next. It is such a good story and Nora Roberts has added lots of humor, and has a good talent for writing southern dialogue. I am anxious to find other books written by her as this was my first. I listened to it on Audio-book and was so impressed with the narrator, he sure had alot of characters to portray and did a fantastic job with all of them. If you happen to get the Recorded Books version on audio there is also a whole tape interviewing Nora Roberts that was fun to listen to. I would recommend this to anyone who likes either romance, mystery or a good combination of both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant get them out of my mind., October 20, 2005
S. Mikesell "bookjunky" (CARLISLE, IA United States) - See all my reviews
I absolutely loved this book. The characters are wonderful, the story is so intense that I could not put the book down. I read this book about 3 weeks ago, and still find myself thinking about the characters. I truly recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems like it was written in the 1960's, September 20, 2008
This review is from: Carnal Innocence (Hardcover)
I do enjoy a good Nora Roberts books now and then. I know what to expect, some romance, some mystery, likable characters and descriptive scenic details. This one did not deviate too much. There is a big BUT coming, though. These characters were not as likable. Tucker was disappointing in his over sexed, under achieving mannerisms. Caroline is dull. I also had to check the publishing date a few times to actually be sure it was not written in the 1960's. It seemed like it was written decades ago with everyone smoking, drinking Jack Daniels, and the whole Black/White race thing being an issue. Her characters were very Dukes of Hazzards-like. They got way too familiar with each other too fast that it became humorous. I guess that is why it has the word "Carnal" in the title!

The good part is that there were so many unlikable characters that I would not have been disappointed if anyone had been the killer or the victim. Ms. Roberts has come a long way and her writing has greatly improved over the years. I would recommend this to a die hard Roberts fan because we will be more understanding and forgiving. If you are new to her, skip this one and try one of her more recent ones such as Montana Sky, Blue Smoke, or Angels Fall. Her Chesapeake Trilogy is excellent also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nora Roberts .........What can I say? She excels again., October 22, 2001
Nora Roberts does it again with another great read.
In "Carnal Innocence" the writer beautifully meshes romance and mystery into a wonderful page-turner from start to finish.It has you constantly guessing who the killer is, with the frequent twists and turns of the plot.

You will fall in love with Caroline and Tucker, and you will absolutely love Cousin Lulu.On the other hand you won't be able to wait to see the back of Austin.
If you have never read a Nora Roberts book before, this is a good one to start with.

As an avid reader of all genres of fiction, I recommend this book and I assure you that you will not be disappointed.