...because Eric Gans is an online acquaintance of mine, and a fan of and contributor to my website, For the Love of Opera Gloves. In fact, he even thanks me in the acknowledgment section, so I have to apologize for being so long in getting around to reviewing _Carole Landis: A Most Beautiful Girl_.

I've been anticipating this book for several years now, and...
Published on November 4, 2008 by Joseph A. Admire

1.0 out of 5 stars Not The Real Carole, Just A Fantasy
Published on December 14, 2008 by JeanetteEddy

1.0 out of 5 stars Not The Real Carole, Just A Fantasy, December 14, 2008
This review is from: Carole Landis: A Most Beautiful Girl (Hollywood Legends) (Hardcover)
I had no plans to buy this book because I think this guy's web site was creepy. The site has a stalker feel to it loaded with rambling essays about Carole's body. My daughter passed the book along to me and I honestly can't find anything positive to say about it. He turns Carole into a sexual object and he simply does not understand her. We are told that Carole slept with HUNDREDS of men and there are stories about "graphic" sexual encounters she had as a teen. I laughed out loud when it says hat Carole killed herself because she was being blackmailed over her sexual escapades. The big problem here is the sources for these stories are people who barely knew Carole but cashed in after her death with scandalous articles and books. When the discussion turns to Carole's depression it turned into a psychology textbook and unless you have a master's degree you can't understand most of it. It's painfully obvious that the guy who wrote this does not know anything about bipolar disorder and suicidal tendencies. Otherwise he would understand that bipolar people don't need a reason to get depressed and a broken heart could have easily pushed her over the edge. There is also a ton of speculation about things that may have happened without any facts to back them up. Are we really supposed believe that Carole changed her own birthday and chose the 4th of July to die on because she liked holidays? NO! Another thing that made me so ANGRY was the way Rex Harrison comes off as almost a good guy and we are led to believe that it was the best relationship Carole had. How many healthy relationships start off as an affair and end with one person committing suicide? NONE! When I finished reading I wanted to cry but I was too mad. It's such a shame that 60 years later some men will never see Carole as anything more than a "beautiful girl".

5.0 out of 5 stars A "most interesting" book, and I'm just the tiniest bit biased on this... :), November 4, 2008

I've been anticipating this book for several years now, and it's simultaneously scholarly, well-written and an engaging portrait of a fascinating woman who might have been one of Hollywood's icons if she had, essentially, just had better luck. (As William Goldman famously put it about movie concepts, "nobody knows anything" about who will make it in Tinseltown and who won't.) Eric has meticulously researched Carole Landis' life and career for many years in the writing of this book, and I certainly can't find any errors in it - but then, he knows a lot more about Carole than I do. :) He has tremendous affection and respect for his subject, which drives him to also be exactingly honest about her human frailities; for example, he frankly discusses the playgirl reputation Carole had, which, while in fact rather exaggerated, may have had a negative impact on her career, and also talks affectingly about the effect that her inability to bear children had on her personal life. (It does seem interesting that a lot of Hollywood's sex symbols - Landis, Linda Darnell, Lana Turner, and Marilyn Monroe among others - have either been unable to have children or have had a great deal of difficulty in pregnancy.)

My only quibble, being a picture-oriented kind of guy, is that there aren't enough photos (though those that are present are well-selected and uniformly high-quality). However, Eric has the web's biggest archive of photographs of Carole Landis online at his site, Carole Vivante [...]. Visit it; it's the perfect visual counterpart to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest hollywood biographies, EVER, March 9, 2010
.I think this book is really a first rate piece of scholarship, bolstered by Eric Gans's interaction with a great deal of Landis's family. It is very, very well researched, and while Gans is--understandably--obsessed with Landis's beauty and looks, he is an excellent film historian as well, and, for my money, reveals a lot more about Carole Landis and her career than does the E. J. Fleming book. There have been some savage critical reviews of his book, but if you read them carefully, anyone can see that they are issued from basically the same source(s) since they spout the same disgusting negative comments--"dirty book," "salacious", "only concerned with sex"--which, ironically is far more true of the Fleming book. What IS disgusting is certainly not Eric Gans's book, but the really filthy negativism of these reviews. (There are also some very well-reasoned, intelligent positive ones as well). Eric has a deep love of Carole--her beauty AND her abilities. Any admirer of Landis--the person and the actress--will learn a wealth of information about her and about her career, with wonderful analyses of her movies. It is THE book on Carole Landis.

4.0 out of 5 stars very interesting story about a tragic star, October 24, 2008
It was an interesting book. It tended to be quite linear but jumps around a bit within periods. I thought her life was quite tragic and sad.
It was good that Mr. Gans was able to flesh out some parts of her early life and it was a solid, quick read.
She made interesting movies and was never really given a chance after the early 1940's to be a leading actress. It is really our loss that we missed out on her in being a leading player!

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book as an introduction to Carole Landis, December 1, 2008
My knowledge of Carole Landis'life was rather limited, so I was pleased that this book has been written. All in all, I think it is worth the read, especially since that aren't an abundance of books on her. My main complaint is the author's detailed plot explanation of each of her movies and the analysis of the characters. He seems to be trying to draw parallels between the parts she played and her real life. It didn't work for me. The only movie of hers that I have seen was "Orchestra Wives". She was conniving, cynical,and beautiful.though her screen time seemed to be limited to the first half of the movie. I agree with another reviewer as far as the limited number of photos. Regardless, I'm glad I read it and would recommend it for anyone wanting to know more about her.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent biography, December 24, 2013
this is a literate, perceptive and generally well-written biography about one of the most gifted and underappreciated hollywood stars of the 1940s. i'm baffled by some of the negative comments posted about it, as it approaches miss landis' life story with great sensitivity and insight. it's a far better read than the other, more fanzined and shallow book about her. it's a shame that both books were written long after most of those who knew and loved carole landis had passed on, so there is unfortunately a dearth of first hand interviews about her. but it's well researched and insightful. and most importantly, this gifted, beautiful woman, so bright, so ahead of her time, and so tragically mishandled by the people around her - comes to life here. how sad that she wasn't given more opportunities to shine in first rate films, but she was truly special. and she certainly lived a remarkable life, filled with ups and downs, in her 29 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars CAROLE LANDIS, February 3, 2010
This is an outstanding book on the very patriotic 1940's movie star CAROLE LANDIS.
Miss Landis was very outgoing and should have made it as a bigger star then her career allowed.
I highly recommend this book to any fan of classic 40's movies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad Life, February 3, 2014
N. Faltisek (San Leandro, Ca USA) - See all my reviews
Carol Landis died at such a young, impressionable age. She tried to make it big, but made many wrong choices.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, September 15, 2014
I did not care for this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars CAROLE LANDIS, November 12, 2008
SAM MINUK (WINNIPEG /MANITOBA/CANADA) - See all my reviews
THIS BOOK IS WITHOUT DOUBT THE WORST BIOGRAPHY,OR EVEN AUTOBIOGRAPHY, OF A FILM STAR I`VE EVER HAD THE DISPLEASURE OF READING.THE LITERARY COMPONENT IS SUBSTANDARD BECAUSE THE AUTHOR WRITES LIKE AN "EGG HEAD" ACADEMIC.THE BOOK HAS ABSOLUTELY NO WHIMSICAL CHARM,HUMOUR,OR ARTISTIC MERIT.IF I HAD TO RATE THIS BOOK FOR CONSUMERS,I`D GIVE IT A 1 OUT OF 10 ASSESSMENT.I`VE BEEN A FILM STUDIES INSTRUCTOR UP HERE IN CANADA FOR THE PAST ELEVEN YEARS,AND READ MANY WONDERFUL AND FASCINATING FILM STAR BIOGRAPHIES DURING THE COURSE OF MY RESEARCH.THIS ONE IS EASILY THE WORST OF THEM ALL! SAM

Carole Landis: A Most Beautiful Girl (Hollywood Legends)
Carole Landis: A Most Beautiful Girl (Hollywood Legends) by Eric Lawrence Gans (Hardcover - June 1, 2008)
$30.00 $23.93