5.0 out of 5 stars Carolina's Sacrifice, January 11, 2000
This review is from: Carolina's Courage (Paperback)
This is a gentle, moving story about a young pioneer girl who courageously goes west to Nebraska with her family. Each family member leaves behind things he or she cherishes but each gets to take something as well. Carolina takes her precious china doll, like the one that has been passed down in my own family for generations. Carolina ends up sacrificing her doll for the good of her family and others.
Elizabeth Yates' stories are well-written, are sensitive to the feelings of children, have strong family values, and are gently faith-promoting.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this book ., October 12, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Carolina's Courage (Paperback)
In the story Carolina's Courage, the family moved west.The family moved because their farmland was hard and small. Carolina wanted to take her doll,Lyddya Lou, and her cherry wood chair. But her Dad said she could only take one thing.So she took Lyddya Lou. On their journey alot of things happened. She learned the true meaning of courage. We liked this story because it had alot of details and interesting parts.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Book - About the Good Old Days, June 17, 2013
This review is from: Carolina's Courage (Kindle Edition)
I homeschool my great niece (10) and great nephew (13). History was a subject I didn't like during my school years and now here I am teaching it to another generation. In studying the "good old days" these kids tend to think in terms of westerns or dates they've been forced to learn. As soon as I started incorporating little items like my grandmother coming west on a wagon train, their attention perked up. And then I started scouring for books to read as we move through our history. Carolina's Courage was one of those books. I read it and enjoyed it very much. My great niece is now reading it for an assignment. When she reads stories, she gets right into the story. Carolina is a friend and she travels with her, picking which of her possessions she would take on a wagon train move, gaining an awareness of the price pioneers paid to see the west and the perils they faced.

These type of books make history come alive. They show a way of life that our children will never know. This is a good book...good for young and old.

5.0 out of 5 stars We liked this book, October 12, 2000
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Carolina's Courage (Paperback)
Carolina and her family went on a journey. They saw some Indians. Some were mean and some were nice. I liked it beause it had both sad and happy parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars We liked this book, October 12, 2000