4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and unique with fun characters, definitely worth a read.
I have to admit right off the bat, this book reminded me of Twilight. The way Megan and Adam meet, how they fall for each other, how unreasonably attractive Adam is to everyone, especially Megan; definitely reminiscent of Twilight, albeit, without the epic appeal Twilight gave me.

I didn't know what to expect going into this. The description doesn't really give...
Published on January 31, 2012 by Vi the Vi3tBabe

1,148 of 1,228 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars More like: "Missed the Mark"
Let's play a little game of:

WHO AM I...

-My book starts with me moving to a new location and starting at a new school.

-I live with just my dad, but don't worry about him, he's not important. In fact, you'll barely notice he exists at all!

Published on December 11, 2011 by Steph Sinclair

1,148 of 1,228 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars More like: "Missed the Mark", December 11, 2011
Let's play a little game of:

WHO AM I...

-My book starts with me moving to a new location and starting at a new school.

-I quickly make friends at my new school. I'm not sure why everyone likes me. I'm not remotely interesting.

-I've never had a boyfriend before meeting my love interest and for some reason people at my school find that hard to believe.

-As soon as my love interest catches my eye, I can't get him out of my mind. He's the mysterious type, but he only has eyes for me. He quickly becomes my boyfriend and we fall deeply in love. *swoon*

-My boyfriend happens to have a sibling who simply adores me. How could she not, I'm so awesome! She has a super special sight too. P.S. her name starts with an "A."

-My b-b-boyfriend---sorry that was me swooning again; he's so super howt *giggle*---also has another sibling that doesn't seem to like me at first. They are always glaring at me! It unnerves me. But I can get through anything with my boy toy by my side! Oh, and P.S. their name starts with an "R."

-My boyfriend just happens to save my life with his mysterious powers. At first when I confront him about it, he plays it off. It really upsets me. It just wasn't fair!!!

-He later tells me that he can't stay away from me any longer and soon after he takes me to his home to really introduce me to his family.

-I find out he's been stalking me for a while. But it doesn't bother me. I find it incredibly romantic.

-*Psst*, if my boyfriend and I were to have a baby, it would be some strange half-breed child.

-Randomly out of nowhere I'm kidnapped by a Tracker. I'm not sure where he came from because this book is all about me and my one true love.

-When I'm not hanging out with my boyfriend or getting abducted, I can be found brushing my teeth, eating cereal, doing homework or cooking for my dad. Oh, and I hate being the center of attention. I'm so selfless.

-By the end of my book, I end up in the hospital.

So....who am I?

If you guessed Bella Swan you are correct! But if you guessed Megan Rosenberg, you are also correct! Don't bother looking up to the top of the screen. This is indeed a Carrier of the Mark review or as I like to call it Twilight 2.0 or better yet, Carrier of the Twilight or Twi-remix or Twilight goes to Ireland or, or, or...okay you get the picture. And no, I'm not kidding all the above actually happens in this book.

I feel like I need to start saying how sorry I am to Leigh Fallon. Truly, I am. You see, I'm in the middle of re-reading the Twilight series and as a result, I am hyperaware of the Twi-likeness this book has. I was really eager to get my hands on Carrier of the Mark, but you have no idea how disappointed I am in this book. So, it is with a heavy heart that I review (Twilight) Carrier of the Mark (again).

Seventeen-year-old (Bella Swan) Megan Rosenberg moves to (Forks) Ireland after her dad, (Charlie) Caleb, accepts and new position at a yacht club. On her first day at school she notices a mysterious boy, named (Edward Cullen) Adam DeRis, staring at her. She literally cannot stop thinking about him for the rest of the book. I'm not going to retell the book here, but if you've read Twilight just sprinkle on a little Air Bender, add a pinch of Captain Planet, and toss a creepy baby on top and you pretty much have the recipe for Carrier of the Mark. Instead, I'm going to be pulling a few select quotes with commentary pour moi.

Adam randomly confesses his feelings to Megan after have several staring contests:
They told me from the very beginning that it wasn't safe to `consort,'" he said, slightly wincing at the word, "with you. But I'm not strong enough to stay away."
Now where have I heard that before?

Twilight:
He heard the change in my tone. His eyes tightened. "I don't seem to be strong enough to stay away from you..."

A little PDA action:
I put my hand on Adam's face and felt along his cheek and down along his jaw, reveling in the softness of his skin in comparison to the light stubble. He closed his eyes.
"You have no idea how good that feels," he murmured.
That sounds so familiar...

Twilight:
"Do you mind?" I asked, for he had closed his eyes again.
"No," he said without opening his eyes. "You can't imagine how that feels." He sighed.
I lightly trailed my hand over the perfect muscles of his arm, followed the faint pattern of bluish veins inside the crease at his elbow.

(Rosalie) Rian doesn't like Megan at first:
"Rían has a tough time accepting who we are and our purpose...I think he's just finding it hard to accept that you would opt in when you have the chance to walk away."
Now, who had the same issue?

Twilight:
He sighed deeply. "Rosalie struggles the most with... with what we are. It's hard for her to have someone on the outside know the truth. And she's a little jealous...You're human." He shrugged. "She wishes that she were, too."

There is a Tracker following Megan:
It's been years since we have even seen a tracker in Ireland."
"Is that what the guy in the theater was? A tracker?"
"I think so. We can't be sure at the moment, but he fits the usual profile. There's something different this time, though; he's getting around our defenses. We just don't know how he's doing it."
Funny that's just who was following Bella too.

Twilight:
"He's a tracker, Alice, did you see that? He's a tracker!"

Love interest serching for a way to protect heroine from the Tracker:
"Don't apologize. I hate to see you hurting like that. Please believe me when I tell you that I will make you safe."
Didn't Edward promise the same thing in a very similar situation?

Twilight:
"Soon, as soon as I possibly can. I will make you safe first." His voice was hard.

A bad guy was snooping around Megan's room and house. Adam has his family guarding her, but somehow they manage to slip through:
"Someone was in her room, for Christ's sake. In her room!"
"But I don't think he was still there when Megan got home. If he had been, he would have acted right then and there. I'd say her Mark was sensing that he'd been there earlier."
Rían shook his head. "How is he getting around our senses? We've always known when the Knox are close. This is bad."
Can't seem to put my finger on it..oh wait, I can.

Twilight (Eclipse):
"He was in her room, Alice. He could have still been there -- waiting for her."
"I would have seen that."
Edward threw his hands up in exasperation. "Really? You're sure?" Alice's voice was cold when she answered. "You've already got me watching the Volturis' decisions, watching for Victoria's return, watching Bella's every step. You want to add another? Do I just have to watch Charlie, or Bella's room, or the house, or the whole street, too? Edward, if I try to do too much, things are going to start slipping through the cracks."

Oh, but the similarities don't end there. Right after Adam reveals his feelings to Megan, the very next day he takes her to meet his family. And if you remember that is exactly what Edward did after he revealed all his feelings to Bella in the meadow scene (Confessions, chapter 13). Aline (Alice), Adam's sister also has a "sight." Fionn (Carlisle) is Adam's adoptive father. Adam admitted to stalking Megan just like Edward did to Bella. Megan confides in her best friend, Caitlin, in math class. What do you know? That's the same place Bella confided with Jessica at. Both Adam and Edward's eyes change color (interestingly, both share the same original color: green).

I just couldn't get past all the Twilight references. I'm honestly baffled at how this book got published with all the shocking similarities because Carrier of the Mark reads just like a Twilight Fan-Fic and not a good one. I'd give this book a freakin' "A+" for following the "Twilight book disaster" recipe to the T, but an all around "F" (FAIL) for YA literature. I went though several different emotions while reading this book: shock, disbelief, finally settling on anger. Anger? Yes. Did the author sit with her editor over tea and crumpets with their Twilight copies on their laps pulling plots, quotes, and carbon copies of the characters? Did they really think no one would pick up on the similarities?! Well, I'll tell you something. My Twilight copy is open on my lap right now and I am NOT AMUSED one bit. This is something I expect from the usual offender Cassie Clare, not a debut YA author. And, man, I feel so bad writing this review. I absolutely hate giving a 1 star review to debut authors, but wow. I'm just blown this even saw the light of day.

And what's a Twi-Fan-Fic without insta-love? This book has plenty of that and co-dependency. Keep in mind they have been dating for 2 weeks. Let me count the ways:
"I feel like I could take on the world when I'm with you."

I felt a new confidence building. I could take on the world with him by my side.

This felt so real. It seemed like my future was suddenly very clear. I had a whole new purpose--and it all revolved around this boy by my side.

Everything else paled in significance. I could not live without him. As much as it upset me to hurt the others, it was nothing compared to the stabbing pain I felt when I thought of being parted from him.

And the more time that went by, the more I realized I could not live without Adam.

I'm so tired of co-dependent relationships! Is it a wonder why young girls think they need a boyfriend to survive? Are these the ideals we want our youth to grow up learning? I don't take issue with Megan being in love, but reading the statements above disturbs me. The entire book revolves around how in love she is with Adam, so don't expect much of a plot in this book. The major conflict in the story comes out of nowhere and ends before it even begins, just as it did in Twilight.

And, OMG the mythology. It will make your head spin. We learn most of the world through god awful info-dumps. I read those pages over a few times and I still don't understand. Perhaps if the author showed the reader instead of telling us, maybe I would have been able to keep up. The only thing I think I understood was that Megan is Carrier of a specific gene that would enable her to produce children to bear the Mark. Since Carrier's are rare the Order (a society that "looks after" the Marked) specially selects the Carrier's mates. I suppose being gay is out if you are a Carrier, because you have a duty to produce babies! Anyway, apparently it is forbidden for Adam and Megan to be together because if they have a child it could destroy the world. Yeah...I don't get it either. Once finding that out, Megan decides she doesn't want to be a Marked one anymore and help save the world. She wants to be with her Romeo. 'Cause being in love is more important than the safety of the world, donchaknow. And, please don't get me started on the whole 25-year-old pregnancy. I can't even.

Fallon, you had all this potential. The setting was perfect: Ireland! And you wasted your descriptions on Megan eating her wheaties and putting on her red Converses? *points to face* This is me not caring.

I'll leave you with a definition from Webster:

o*rig*i*nal
' '[uh-rij-uh-nl]
Adjective
1. Belonging or pertaining to the origin or beginning of something, or to a thing at its beginning: The book still has its original binding.

2. New; fresh; inventive; novel: an original way of advertising.

3. Arising or proceeding independently of anything else: an original view of history.

4. Capable of or given to thinking or acting in an independent, creative, or individual manner: an original thinker.

5. Created, undertaken, or presented for the first time: to give the original performance of a string quartet.

Originality: THIS BOOK HAS NONE.

And to think this book was on my "really looking forward to this book" shelf.

OK, I'm done.

/end rant \(-_-)/

More reviews at my blog Book Catching: [...]

1.0 out of 5 stars Started off promising, but ended up terrible, December 12, 2011
This review is from: Carrier of the Mark (Paperback)
I bought this book for my Kindle after sampling the first chapter. The first chapter was fantastic, and I thought that I could relate to the main character. However, from about chapter four on, the entire story went downhill. The plot jumped around and didn't make sense, and I hate insta-love. I also agree with other reviewers that it's a Twilight rip-off, hardcore, but at least Stephanie Meyer knows how to show and not tell. Leigh Fallon does not. I will not be reading anymore books in this series. Don't waste your money on this book. It's not worth it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Was going to leave my own review, but the "More like ....Missed the Mark" review said it all, December 28, 2011
This review is from: Carrier of the Mark (Paperback)
I was going to leave a scathing review, but then I read the review "More like.. missed the mark," and it said everything I had to say. I only gave this book a 2 star (instead of a 1 star) because it provided me with something to make fun of for a little while. I can't even say "If you liked Twilight, you'll love Carrier of the Mark," because this wasn't nearly as good as Twilight, DESPITE the fact that it is practically the EXACT SAME STORY.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to Recommned With This YA (D Grade), October 4, 2011
This review is from: Carrier of the Mark (Paperback)
The Carrier of the Mark (Carrier Trilogy #1) by Leigh Fallon was one of the much buzzed YA books at this year's BEA. The cover is striking and it takes place in Ireland. Also, Leigh was published by posting the original Carrier of the Mark on a writing site called Inkpop. Unfortunately I DNFed this 100 pages in. Yet another example of what's wrong with the YA genre. If Carrier was well received at Inkpop, so much so that Harper Teen wanted it, it makes me wonder what other entries are up on there because Carrier has nothing to recommend for it.

The Carrier of the Mark is an example of how to use info dumping in conversations as a sneaky way to not get caught using it the old fashioned way, usually as internal monologues from the characters. Leigh's info dumping is so dry and formal as if her characters are robots, much like the animatronic ones found at Disney World. How else would the reader find out that there's something rotten in the state of some back water town, literally near the water, in Ireland? Our timid, not so plucky heroine Megan has a world of woe. Not only does she move from place to place almost every year because of her father's wanderlust, but she's stuck wearing an unattractive uniform at her new school where she doesn't know anyone. This American girl is a fish out of water, or rather a black crow that can't fly (the crow reference is explained later on). Her first day of school doesn't start out well at all because when she notices a tall boy leaning against the lamppost, who stares at her as if she has two heads, her hands tingle where they feel frostbitten. They're now connected and Megan can't stop thinking of him. He's Adam DeRis of the freaky DeRis clan who everyone warns her to stay away from. But Megan just can't. Why? Because she and Adam are connected due to their oogily eyes stares.

A black crow begins following Megan around, she meets Adam's sister Aine, who has a moth and insect fetish and can make dead flowers live again, plus some dark force is causing mayhem for no reason. Adam and Megan go from oogly eye stares to actually bumping into one another and talking. And at that point I stopped because I was so bored.

Leigh again is very sneaky. She's trying very hard not to make this a copycat of Twilight or like Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush because when all is said and done, Adam isn't bad boy material. Everyone around Megan tells her that he is. Again more info dumping, but he's shown as the complete opposite. If only the writing had been stronger, than perhaps The Carrier of the Mark could have stood a chance. Weak writing and lackadaisical characters with no real motivation leaves the reader uninterested and not involved. I raise my hand as one of these readers.

Katiebabs

1.0 out of 5 stars Already read this book -- it was called 'Twilight', January 17, 2012
Parajunkee (Jefferson, LA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Carrier of the Mark (Paperback)
I am honestly just at a loss for the epic failure of this book. The sad thing about it was how well it started. I was immediately sucked in and excited and then after I had gotten my feet wet I just kept reading and going `what?' `huh?' and `I think I might have read this before?' And I had read it before in a book that you might be familiar with, called `Twilight'. I really hate comparing books to `Twilight' because basically you can probably do this to a lot of young adults books from love triangles to the paranormal elements, but the more you look into `Carrier of the Mark' the resemblances between the books are so very similar that you really wonder how the author got this one past the publisher.

REVIEW:

A girl named Megan moves to a new, small town, well really a new country. She doesn't know anyone and it is like a whole other world. Being an American and living in a variety of places makes her a novelty so she is quickly sucked in by a popular group. Megan lost her mother at an early age, so her father is her sole guardian. Sometimes in the relationship you have a hard time figuring out who is in charge and making the rules.

At school Megan is instantly drawn to the absolutely mind-blowing gorgeous, yet withdrawn Adam DeRis, but everyone says don't even try because he is a jerk and not interested in anyone at the school. Adam though is also drawn to Megan and his obvious interest surprises everyone at the school. Yet, even though he seems interested, he stays away and makes cryptic statements. Adam also has a carefree and pixie like sister named Aine who seems like she wants to befriend Bella, I mean Megan, but something is keeping Alice, I mean Aine, back. Then there is another sibling, Rian, who if looks could kill, Megan would be cold in the ground...Rosalie, I mean Rian is standoffish and makes rude statements to Megan at first, but then warms to her.

Through a freak accident because of her friends carelessness Megan almost dies, but Adam flies to the rescue and saves her through seemingly supernatural means and gets Megan thinking that something might not be human about the über-hot Adam DeRis but she's still insta-attracted to him no matter what. Are you starting to get the picture here?

The comparisons go on and on and on (spoilers beware).

* Adam comes to the rescue of Megan when she is accosted by horny, drunk men as she is walking alone
* The siblings are raised by a non-related hot guardian named Fionn that could have been Carlise
* The insta-attraction that Adam and Megan share is looked at with trepidation by his family but after only 2 weeks they can see the super-love they share and know there is no separating these two
* There is an all-powerful ruling Order that monitors people like them and might have the power to pull them apart
* There are evil versions of people like them and they could potentially hurt Megan
* An evil version, who considers himself someone that tracks people, kidnaps Megan
* Adam and the rest of the family come to the rescue at the last minute and they destroy the evil guy

The book was a rewritten Twilight, just substitute Ireland for Forks and elemental powers for vampire powers. The good thing though was Megan had some kick-ass powers herself instead of being a bumbling, self-sacrificing weakling. I also know that a lot of people think that Twilight was badly written, even though I'm not of that opinion and I didn't think `Carrier of the Mark' was even better written. Don't waste your time with this one. There is so many more, well-written and original stories out there that you shouldn't sully your reading-time with blatant rip-offs and novels that are just written because paranormal young adult is a hot seller.

Like this Like That Better

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) by Stephenie Meyer
Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) by Maggie Stiefvater

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Twilight-y, January 9, 2012
This review is from: Carrier of the Mark (Paperback)
The first chapter was great! The story had so much potential, then it turned into Twilight..... If I could give a 0 star I WOULD! I was so annoyed and bored with it I never finished it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Juvenile., January 6, 2012
This review is from: Carrier of the Mark (Paperback)
Carrier of the Mark got me frowning from beginning to end. The characters were unimpressive, the writing is terrible, and the dialogues are sooo cheesy. You would think that for a book cover so stunning, the story will follow through. But no. Have you been waiting for this book? Please stop waiting. It's not worth the hype, at least to me.

Megan reminded me of Luce from the Fallen series. Co-dependent, always swooning over the male lead. C'mon! How many times do i have to read about Megan falling into Adam's arms, going into Adam's arms, wanting Adam's arms around her?!?!! I can only take a little sappiness, thank you very much. Heroines like her makes me want to hurl big time. Adam is no different. He's kissing Megan the first time he acknowledged her after weeks of ignoring her. Then, it's `let's make out' or `come here, beautiful' or `i can't take my eyes off you'. Ugh.

One thing i can say for the story: Too Much Information. I got lost in the neutral gene/royal blood/marked One talk. Can we just simplify things, Ms Leigh Fallon? The mythology and elements are interesting; too bad it doesn't get better.

Carrier of the Mark reminded me of Twilight (which i liked) and Starcrossed (which i don't). =( I think i'm better off reading fanfic than this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Twilight rip off, January 7, 2012
This review is from: Carrier of the Mark (Paperback)
Not that Twilight is a literary achievement at all, but...REALLY Leigh Fallon? You couldn't bother to, you know, come up with your own original story?

Seriously, this is a BLATANT TWILIGHT RIP OFF. It's obvious from over a hundred different quotes and characters that Leigh Fallon basically read Twilight and decided to copy it.

Oh, and Fallon's desperate and INSULTING attempt to call out another reviewer here who is from GoodReads smacks of desperation and immaturity. You can read Fallon's belittling, condescending, childish response here: [...]

I advise anyone who is interested in reading Twilight rip offs to pass on this amateur attempt and find someone better. Someone who can write and someone who won't throw a temper tantrum when she doesn't like a negative review.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Dissapointing, January 18, 2012
This review is from: Carrier of the Mark (Paperback)
Oh Carrier of the Mark. Your cover is so good, but you are sadly, oh so bad. You aren't TERRIBLE, I've certainly read worse things, but I was sorely disappointed with this one. I'm not really going to go into details on the plot, but basically I found everything was rushed. The romance was rushed, Megan's acceptance of her gift was rushed, character development was rushed, back stories and histories rushed, everything. The writing was choppy and at no point was I truly aching to learn more about the story. I'm not even done yet, I have 30% to go (thanks to my Goodreads status tracker) but I can already just say that I highly doubt there'll be anything that could make give this another star.

Own it for the cover, it'll look fabulous on a bookshelf, but skip the whole reading part.

1.0 out of 5 stars twilight poser, January 6, 2012
This review is from: Carrier of the Mark (Paperback)
I don't read books where the author copies another book. This author to me is sloppy, way too many similarities to twilight. Very lazy!

Don't waste your time with this one. If you wanna read it id suggest you just go reread twilight.

Carrier of the Mark
Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon (Paperback - October 4, 2011)
$8.99 $8.89