5.0 out of 5 stars Boutique Bags
This book is not for the beginner sewer or someone who just wants a quick bag that can be made in under two hours time or under $10. This is a 'how-to' on building a bag that can last for a very long time.

Published on December 14, 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars As an experienced bag maker, this book is not for the beginner.
This book features some great styling and detailing that you won't find anywhere else. I love how the bag on the front cover turned out (see photos, mine is the linen.) But the directions were NOT the easiest to follow, so it took a long time. There were a few steps that seemed more difficult than they needed to be, I followed my shortcuts and it turned out fine. The...
Published on November 17, 2011 by G. Dorn

5.0 out of 5 stars Boutique Bags, December 14, 2009
This review is from: Carry Me (Paperback)

Most of the fabrics were bought during the author's trips around the world. But that does not mean you can not find equivalent materials where ever you live. The 'Sidecar Messenger Bag' calls for basic flannel with a rayon lining. If you can not find a suitable rayon fabric, a sturdy quilting cotton that catches your eye can be easily substituted.

Patterns for bags one through three, six through eight and bag ten are included. The two patterns not included are basic squares with detailed schematics. A semi-experienced sewer should have little difficulty following the schematics and a newer sewer can build their skills.

While the hardware can be a bit difficult to find in person, they are easily found online, with resources given on the last page. But if you are near a town or city with big-box craft stores, most will carry the hardware, including straps, grommets, metal feet and the grommeted web strap handles for the 'Urban Travel Trunk'. You may have to look in more than one section of the store, but even in my small town, there are three places to buy nearly all materials and hardware.

One thing to consider when making these bags is price. For example, the 'Small Purse' featured with 'Winter Tweed Boston Bag' could easily cost over $35 to create. But nearly $12-14 of this would be tools that can be used over and over again. The final cost of the bag could cost anywhere between $20-$25. Try finding a bag of higher quality materials for that price in a boutique.

This is a good book for those who are ready to 'build' a bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love It!, December 8, 2009
This review is from: Carry Me (Paperback)
I was drawn to this book because of the bag on the cover. I wasn't sure about it but once I saw it I liked just about every bag in the book. I do agree that it can become a little pricey but remember the book says that these are boutique bags. You should also know that the book is translated from Japanese so the instructions are not crystal clear but you can figure it out.One last thing, the author uses alot of fabrics and supplies that were purchased from overseas but you can find equivalents here in the states and she gives resources in the back of the book.I am an experienced sewer and I love the challenges of this book. This book may not be good for a less experienced sewer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, December 7, 2009
This review is from: Carry Me (Paperback)
I got this book last week and was not disappointed. I found the bags to be very attractive and the instructions are pretty good. In fact, this being a book that was translated, I was impressed to find the directions so clear. Yes, there are some missing patterns but they are for pieces that are squares or rectnagles and the measurements are given. I agree that finding the hardware might be difficult or expensive but I think some can be replaced with other hardware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for the Experienced Sewist, January 24, 2010
R. Green (Bay Area, California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carry Me (Paperback)
I absolutely love this book, and all of the projects inside. The bags are gorgeous and well made, not like the Quick'n'Easy patterns that have become common. They aren't cheap, with all their hardware and classy fabrics, but the end product is well worth the effort and expense. I've made two of the bags so far (the very useful granny bag on the cover, and the tweed purse), and plan to make most of the rest.

The instructions are not very detailed, and although the techniques are fairly simple, I would not recommend this to someone with little sewing experience. Much of the instructions are explained through line drawings instead of text (the text of the book is *very* sparse), and these drawings seem to assume that you know the basics of how a bag goes together. The introduction walks you through this, briefly, and it is sufficient for someone who has experience with sewing.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books for making bags, September 29, 2010
BJ1400 (West Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carry Me (Paperback)
This is the first review I have ever written. But, I've read a lot of books about making bags & this may just be my favorite one. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is the title says it's for 20 bags & it's not really. It's really 10 bags & 10 accessories to go with them. But, even though it's only 10 bags, they are 10 completely different & distinct patterns. The title of the book say "boutique bags", but really the bags are nice, basic bags such as: totes, laptop bag, travel bag, messenger bag, etc. The author does give some basic instructions, but this book is not for beginners. I like the fabrics that are used for the purses, and I love the excellent instructions and lots of illustrations. If you like to make bags, this book is definitely worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Details make this book and its bags extraordinary, October 31, 2010
S. L. Smith "SansSerif" (Cloud Hidden, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Carry Me (Paperback)
Apparently I am a bit late to the party for Yuka Koshizen's "Carry Me" collection of boutique-style bags. I nearly overlooked this little gem because of so many other bag books out there. But this one appealed to me for several reasons:

1) It is a Japanese translation, and I am always thrilled to have the chance to be exposed to eastern craft books
2) The wide range of fabrics uses: Tweed, denim, linen, flannel, even Kimono silks
3) The pleasing array of unstructured and structured bags

One bag in particular (the #06 Business Class Laptop Bag) turned this book into a must-have for me. Its exterior is made smoothly elegant and sleekly chic by a humble patchwork reminiscent of basket weaving. While basic in construction, it is by no means basic in impact.

Although not a beginner-book on bags, this book should still appeal to all levels of bag makers. You will appreciate how simple details like rivets and studs, a single perfect pleat, or a tweed-covered button can add big style. Ample pattern illustrations, while rather small, provide sufficient information for each bag. You can learn how seemingly unstructured bags have their own unique architecture. From bag lining to zipper-pulls, every detail can make your own bag extraordinary.

Also, Ms. Koshizen supplies very helpful "About The Fabric" notes for each project, so even novice sewers can begin to appreciate clever applications for different types of fabric. The #01 Winter Tweed Boston Bag made me think of recycling material from some old winter coats I have in the attic.

The author writes that "Meeting a fabric is fate". It is a treat to have her book show us how the perfect fabric can speak a universal language to a crafter. She sells her bags professionally in Japan, and has a website which, though not in English, provides that "something more" the reader will be craving. And I do hope we will be treated to more books in the near future.

4.0 out of 5 stars big bag style, January 3, 2010
This review is from: Carry Me (Paperback)
I love the Japanese style, so this is a favourite book for me. The bags are contemporary with some designs and ideas I have not seen elsewhere. If you did not know, you would not immediately think Japanese, there is no sashiko, Japanese fabrics or style in much evidence, yet this is a classic book. Some patterns are included, the other bags are made by measurement alone. You might need to read the instructions more than once. Highly finished techniques for the dedicated bag maker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carry Me: 20 Boutique Bags to Sew by Yuka Koshizen, April 17, 2010
This review is from: Carry Me (Paperback)
Great book, really such a pleasure for anyone who sews to read.
Has wonderful full color photos that will set your mind to thinking.
I think that this book is one of the best purse/bag books I have
purchased in years...and I have purchased MANY.

4.0 out of 5 stars Full Sized Patterns? Yes!, May 7, 2010
This review is from: Carry Me (Paperback)
Loved the full sized patterns attached in the back of the book. I was expecting a little more variety, but because of several bags that were similar I didn't really feel there were 20 bags. Author has a good section on Bag-Making Basics that would be helpful to someone who is just venturing into the world of bag making. There is good discussion on bag parts, describing the patterns, instruction on how to choose fabrics, and interfacing so that will be helpful for someone just trying to make their first bag, but some may be too difficult for a beginner. My favorite bags were the "Left Bank Granny Bag" shown on the front cover, and the "Market Day Canvas Tote", and the "Azuma Bag". I am sure anyone would find at least one bag to make from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bad news is... I need a better wardrobe to go with these bags, June 21, 2011
peg2 (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carry Me (Paperback)
These bags are beautiful. Forget all of those logo bags of not-such-great quality, and make one of these. Even better, make all of these bags; you will even impress your mother. Heck, you'll even impress MY mother. I can't say this enough - these are GORGEOUS.

Carry Me
Carry Me by Yuka Koshizen (Paperback - November 1, 2009)
$19.95 $14.12