5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Read
Published 20 months ago by Chi

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, it was ok. A little too much God/Jesus talk for me.
Published 20 months ago by MAMOMOF4

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Read, April 4, 2013
What a breath of fresh air. I have been reading Momastery for years but I felt that this book reached out to every woman who has had a past that is unconventional or difficult. Glennon's insights on how we can change the world simply by loving more thoughtfully and intentionally, even as a busy mom, made me stop and put into perspective my own life. Her writing is witty, hilarious, and purposeful. The daily antidotes about life with small children, being a believer in Jesus, a wife, sister and friend made me feel like we were kindred spirits. Kudos Glennon

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, it was ok. A little too much God/Jesus talk for me., April 7, 2013
I love Glennon and Momastery, and have been following her for a while. I was so excited about this book. I read it and there were definitely parts where I laughed and parts where I cried and paragraphs that I underlined and pages I dog eared to read again and again (especially "There You Are"). However, there were two things which overall I was disappointed with-1. vast majority of the book, I had already read on her blog. I found myself skipping many chapters to get to the new ones. 2. Lots of God/Jesus and religion and bible talk. Which is just not for me. FOR ME. I understand this may not be the opinion for anyone else which is why, of course, it's just that; my opinion. OK book. I'd recommend it to certain people, but not to every warrior, everywhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars A blog post does not a chapter make., April 22, 2013
I really feel that I need to review this is two parts to accurately convey my feelings about this book, so I'm going to start with the nitty gritty here--the writing. I find books written from blogs to be problematic. Writing a book and writing a blog are not the same thing and, taking pieces from a blog and putting them into a book tends to be unsatisfying for me. A blog post does not a chapter make. I'm sure there have been blogs to books that are able to avoid this misstep, but Carry On, Warrior is not one of them.

Melton's writing is entertaining--in small doses. I suppose if I had had the luxury to read one chapter of this book every couple of days I might have found it more satisfying, but that was not the case. While there were passages, and sometimes entire chapters, that I found entertaining, the book as a whole was just too, well, bloggy.

Carry On, Warrior also fell into the chronology trap. On a blog, you can follow whatever timeline your heart desires--it is one of the freedoms a blog allows. However, you cannot apply that same principle in a book. Melton seemed to be all over the place with her chronology. For example, she talked about wanting to adopt. Then she talked about not adopting, then she finished the book with the entire adoption drama. I really just couldn't keep things straight.

Okay, part number two. If you are a fan of Melton's site, Momastery, you will like this book. In fact, I'd be surprised if you didn't absolutely love it. And you should stop reading this review right now.

I will admit that I'm not a regular reader of her blog, but I "like" her on Facebook and sometimes I pop in to see what she's writing about. However, beyond that, I am a pretty clean slate when it comes to Glennon Doyle Melton.

Now that I've said that, you can consider yourselves all warned about what I'm about to write.

The truth of it is that I just didn't like her. Glennon Doyle Melton.

I'm sure she is a very nice person and, yes, she is an entertaining blogger. I know she raises money for needy causes and generally tries to do good. But, she just isn't my cup of tea. After reading her book, I think I'd go batty if I were in her company for more than half an hour.

I tried to pin down what it was that really got under my skin--and that is why I had to divide this review up. Once I got past the blog-like nature of this book, I realized what it was--and I'm sure I'm going to offend more than a few "Monkees" over this.

Melton presents herself as some sort of spiritual leader and, frankly, she is far from having the chops for it. Humor and spirituality can go hand in hand, but glibness and spirituality really don't and, unfortunately, I found her more glib than humorous. As the book went on, I just found her more and more annoying.

To make matters worse, I read some of her recent posts on her site, which contradict (for lack of a better word) what she has written in her book about her family. After that, I just didn't believe her anymore and, sadly, that is the kiss of death for me with a book.

I debated how many stars to give this book and I ended up with 3--while I do feel that my criticisms about the technicalities of the book are fair, I also recognize that my personal feelings about Melton are not shared by everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and uplifting, October 3, 2013
I heard about this book after "liking" Glennon's Facebook page "Momastery". It's a quick read that had me feeling emotional during and after...though to be fair, I read it over the course of a few days during some of my breast pumping sessions at work, so perhaps there were some hormones at play from the beginning.
What I really liked about it, is that even though there is a lot of Jesus talk, the descriptions used to communicate the author's feelings and understanding of Jesus were actually very Eastern. The philosophy that God lives inside each and every soul on Earth is a part of Hinduism as well as Glennon's Christianity. As a college religion professor, I am happy when people outside my profession recognize the common ground among religious beliefs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, April 3, 2013
I have read this book cover to cover twice in the last 48 hours! I feel like Glennon is speaking directly to me. I especially love her letters to her son, and honesty about her checkered past. A perfect combination of humor, tears, and soul touching words. This book is a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love wins, April 4, 2013
I have followed Momastery for a long time and this book is a treasure. Wether you've read parts before or not we all need to learn more about love. Read this and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glennon Doyle Melton, I love you, February 17, 2014
Sharon "wintersky" (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
For two days I have needed to clean my house, cause company is coming next week. All day today I have needed to shower. But I haven't been able to do either, because I couldn't stop reading this book. Even better, this book made me feel okay about this decision. Along the way I have stopped to post numerous quotes from the kindle edition to Facebook, caused it's just that kind of a book. I'm on my own journey with my own questions, and this book didn't exactly answer my questions, but it opened conversations in my head.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, real and hilarious!, April 2, 2013
Glennon opens up her life and by simply sharing her fears, her failures and her revelations about life, she gives us permission to be ourselves. Her stories remind us that we are all really fighting the same battle and that we are all united despite where we come from.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book For All Women, April 2, 2013
By now any reader looking for a review of this book has realized that Glennon has written a blog for several years called Momastery. Momastery is great as it is, but no reader needs to first delve into the blog in order to enjoy Glennon's book. Carry On, Warrior shares many of the same essays as Momastery; some have been edited/reworked and others are the summary of several years worth of essays. Some are brand new and provide a bridge between essays and themes. Don't feel that you have to do homework before reading the book. You're good to go.

The most important thing to understand about Glennon is that she doesn't write for the stay-at-home mom, or the working-mom, or the home-schooler, or the public-schooler, or the Christian/Muslim/Agnostic/Jew/Athiest, or the addict, or those who love addicts, or those whose lives have never been touched by addiction; she writes for all of them. And all she asks is that as readers we just show up as we are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glennon writes for so many of us..., April 3, 2013
Julie Austin (Willard, MO United States) - See all my reviews
I am a Monkee so I loved Glennon before I ever got the book, but to have all of her thoughts compiled for devouring, so readily available in a single book, is almost too much - in a fantastic, too many presents, kind of way. Glennon's honesty at both the brutal and beautiful nature of life is a breath of fresh air in a world that spends too much time hiding and not enough time revealing.

We can not all live life as openly as what God has gifted Glennon with the courage and strength to do, but we can all live life more openly in line with what God has gifted each of us. I pray that this book transfers that courage out into the world a million times. I pray that everyone takes a moment to soften into life and understand that we are responsible for each other.

Loved it.

Carry On, Warrior: The Power of Embracing Your Messy, Beautiful Life
Carry On, Warrior: The Power of Embracing Your Messy, Beautiful Life by Glennon Doyle Melton (Paperback - April 8, 2014)
$15.00 $10.78