Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

Format: PaperbackChange

on November 20, 2014
It's easy to look at our lives and think they are just one big ball of confusion and worry. But, one thing that Glennon Doyle Melton makes clear in Carry On, Warrior is that fact that love shines through regardless of your life's circumstances. It's important to let your love be the focal point of your life rather than the clutter and mess of day-to-day living. In these stories and essays, you're going to find a wide variety of funny, heartwarming, and insightful chunks of wisdom. Doyle Melton's storytelling is some of the most relatable I've ever come across. You feel like you are there with her has she's telling these anecdotes directly to you. Again, the message behind most of these stories is that love will always win out. It's up to you to be on the winning side.

Love is valuable in every aspect of your life, but so is taking charge. I read 27 Quick Life Transformation Tips: Simple & Effective Methods For Making This Your Best Year Ever earlier this year, and I've discovered insights about my life that I never knew existed. This book has helped me make positive transformations throughout this year, and I am so blessed to have found it in my search for greater peace, love, and understanding. The tips in the book are clear-cut and straightforward, but they offer the kind of deep, poignant wisdom that many of us need on a day-to-day basis. This book has helped me with my job, my family, my financial issues, and virtually every area of life that needs to be worked on. In addition to Carry On, Warrior, I take it with me everywhere I go.

Anyhow, if you take anything away from Carry On, Warrior, then it will probably be the beauty of love and acceptance. It is important to take things one day at a time and realize that our lives are never going to be perfect. We can always strive to make ourselves better, and it all starts with letting love into our hearts. I'm glad I came across this book and 27 Quick Life Transformation Tips because they have both been truly transformative.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2013
I love Glennon and Momastery, and have been following her for a while. I was so excited about this book. I read it and there were definitely parts where I laughed and parts where I cried and paragraphs that I underlined and pages I dog eared to read again and again (especially "There You Are"). However, there were two things which overall I was disappointed with-1. vast majority of the book, I had already read on her blog. I found myself skipping many chapters to get to the new ones. 2. Lots of God/Jesus and religion and bible talk. Which is just not for me. FOR ME. I understand this may not be the opinion for anyone else which is why, of course, it's just that; my opinion. OK book. I'd recommend it to certain people, but not to every warrior, everywhere.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2013
What a breath of fresh air. I have been reading Momastery for years but I felt that this book reached out to every woman who has had a past that is unconventional or difficult. Glennon's insights on how we can change the world simply by loving more thoughtfully and intentionally, even as a busy mom, made me stop and put into perspective my own life. Her writing is witty, hilarious, and purposeful. The daily antidotes about life with small children, being a believer in Jesus, a wife, sister and friend made me feel like we were kindred spirits. Kudos Glennon
on April 22, 2013
I really feel that I need to review this is two parts to accurately convey my feelings about this book, so I'm going to start with the nitty gritty here--the writing. I find books written from blogs to be problematic. Writing a book and writing a blog are not the same thing and, taking pieces from a blog and putting them into a book tends to be unsatisfying for me. A blog post does not a chapter make. I'm sure there have been blogs to books that are able to avoid this misstep, but Carry On, Warrior is not one of them.

Melton's writing is entertaining--in small doses. I suppose if I had had the luxury to read one chapter of this book every couple of days I might have found it more satisfying, but that was not the case. While there were passages, and sometimes entire chapters, that I found entertaining, the book as a whole was just too, well, bloggy.

Carry On, Warrior also fell into the chronology trap. On a blog, you can follow whatever timeline your heart desires--it is one of the freedoms a blog allows. However, you cannot apply that same principle in a book. Melton seemed to be all over the place with her chronology. For example, she talked about wanting to adopt. Then she talked about not adopting, then she finished the book with the entire adoption drama. I really just couldn't keep things straight.

Okay, part number two. If you are a fan of Melton's site, Momastery, you will like this book. In fact, I'd be surprised if you didn't absolutely love it. And you should stop reading this review right now.

I will admit that I'm not a regular reader of her blog, but I "like" her on Facebook and sometimes I pop in to see what she's writing about. However, beyond that, I am a pretty clean slate when it comes to Glennon Doyle Melton.

Now that I've said that, you can consider yourselves all warned about what I'm about to write.

The truth of it is that I just didn't like her. Glennon Doyle Melton.

I'm sure she is a very nice person and, yes, she is an entertaining blogger. I know she raises money for needy causes and generally tries to do good. But, she just isn't my cup of tea. After reading her book, I think I'd go batty if I were in her company for more than half an hour.

I tried to pin down what it was that really got under my skin--and that is why I had to divide this review up. Once I got past the blog-like nature of this book, I realized what it was--and I'm sure I'm going to offend more than a few "Monkees" over this.

Melton presents herself as some sort of spiritual leader and, frankly, she is far from having the chops for it. Humor and spirituality can go hand in hand, but glibness and spirituality really don't and, unfortunately, I found her more glib than humorous. As the book went on, I just found her more and more annoying.

To make matters worse, I read some of her recent posts on her site, which contradict (for lack of a better word) what she has written in her book about her family. After that, I just didn't believe her anymore and, sadly, that is the kiss of death for me with a book.

I debated how many stars to give this book and I ended up with 3--while I do feel that my criticisms about the technicalities of the book are fair, I also recognize that my personal feelings about Melton are not shared by everyone.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2014
For two days I have needed to clean my house, cause company is coming next week. All day today I have needed to shower. But I haven't been able to do either, because I couldn't stop reading this book. Even better, this book made me feel okay about this decision. Along the way I have stopped to post numerous quotes from the kindle edition to Facebook, caused it's just that kind of a book. I'm on my own journey with my own questions, and this book didn't exactly answer my questions, but it opened conversations in my head.
on April 3, 2013
I have read this book cover to cover twice in the last 48 hours! I feel like Glennon is speaking directly to me. I especially love her letters to her son, and honesty about her checkered past. A perfect combination of humor, tears, and soul touching words. This book is a gift.
on October 3, 2013
I heard about this book after "liking" Glennon's Facebook page "Momastery". It's a quick read that had me feeling emotional during and after...though to be fair, I read it over the course of a few days during some of my breast pumping sessions at work, so perhaps there were some hormones at play from the beginning.
What I really liked about it, is that even though there is a lot of Jesus talk, the descriptions used to communicate the author's feelings and understanding of Jesus were actually very Eastern. The philosophy that God lives inside each and every soul on Earth is a part of Hinduism as well as Glennon's Christianity. As a college religion professor, I am happy when people outside my profession recognize the common ground among religious beliefs.
on April 2, 2013
Glennon opens up her life and by simply sharing her fears, her failures and her revelations about life, she gives us permission to be ourselves. Her stories remind us that we are all really fighting the same battle and that we are all united despite where we come from.
on April 4, 2013
I have followed Momastery for a long time and this book is a treasure. Wether you've read parts before or not we all need to learn more about love. Read this and love.
on September 5, 2013
I'm a little too in the "holy heck I can't handle life" stage of having kids to have much reading time, so I don't have time to keep up with all of Glennon's blog, but from everything I had read, I figured I would like this book and gave it a chance.

I read some reviews before I read the book. Some called it too "preachy" but to that I would say - maybe the readers who felt it was "preachy" just weren't comfortable with the feeling in their gut during some of her points. The fact is that Glennon is very comfortable acknowledging her imperfections and many people don't have the confidence to do that at, let alone publicly. I, personally, agreed with many of her points, but I also had some gut hitting moments where I knew she was right, but I just didn't want to agree because it would mean that I hadn't been a very good person at one time or another.

I think what I liked most about the book is that it kept me interested. She is a good story teller which pulls you, and the message of the book is a heartfelt, hopeful message. Other reviewers said there was too much "Jesus" talk, which there was definitely a lot of, but I didn't find that it bothered me despite the fact that I'm not currently a church goer.

It was a quick easy read with some life enlightening view points. I would recommend it especially for moms who enjoy candid yet hopeful and uplifting reads.