5.0 out of 5 stars Living Messy Lives Through Love
Published 3 months ago by thanh trang

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, it was ok. A little too much God/Jesus talk for me.
Published 23 months ago by MAMOMOF4

5.0 out of 5 stars Living Messy Lives Through Love, November 20, 2014
thanh trang (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews
It's easy to look at our lives and think they are just one big ball of confusion and worry. But, one thing that Glennon Doyle Melton makes clear in Carry On, Warrior is that fact that love shines through regardless of your life's circumstances. It's important to let your love be the focal point of your life rather than the clutter and mess of day-to-day living. In these stories and essays, you're going to find a wide variety of funny, heartwarming, and insightful chunks of wisdom. Doyle Melton's storytelling is some of the most relatable I've ever come across. You feel like you are there with her has she's telling these anecdotes directly to you. Again, the message behind most of these stories is that love will always win out. It's up to you to be on the winning side.

Love is valuable in every aspect of your life, but so is taking charge. I read 27 Quick Life Transformation Tips: Simple & Effective Methods For Making This Your Best Year Ever earlier this year, and I've discovered insights about my life that I never knew existed. This book has helped me make positive transformations throughout this year, and I am so blessed to have found it in my search for greater peace, love, and understanding. The tips in the book are clear-cut and straightforward, but they offer the kind of deep, poignant wisdom that many of us need on a day-to-day basis. This book has helped me with my job, my family, my financial issues, and virtually every area of life that needs to be worked on. In addition to Carry On, Warrior, I take it with me everywhere I go.

Anyhow, if you take anything away from Carry On, Warrior, then it will probably be the beauty of love and acceptance. It is important to take things one day at a time and realize that our lives are never going to be perfect. We can always strive to make ourselves better, and it all starts with letting love into our hearts. I'm glad I came across this book and 27 Quick Life Transformation Tips because they have both been truly transformative.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Read, April 4, 2013
This review is from: Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed (Hardcover)
What a breath of fresh air. I have been reading Momastery for years but I felt that this book reached out to every woman who has had a past that is unconventional or difficult. Glennon's insights on how we can change the world simply by loving more thoughtfully and intentionally, even as a busy mom, made me stop and put into perspective my own life. Her writing is witty, hilarious, and purposeful. The daily antidotes about life with small children, being a believer in Jesus, a wife, sister and friend made me feel like we were kindred spirits. Kudos Glennon

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, it was ok. A little too much God/Jesus talk for me., April 7, 2013
This review is from: Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed (Hardcover)
I love Glennon and Momastery, and have been following her for a while. I was so excited about this book. I read it and there were definitely parts where I laughed and parts where I cried and paragraphs that I underlined and pages I dog eared to read again and again (especially "There You Are"). However, there were two things which overall I was disappointed with-1. vast majority of the book, I had already read on her blog. I found myself skipping many chapters to get to the new ones. 2. Lots of God/Jesus and religion and bible talk. Which is just not for me. FOR ME. I understand this may not be the opinion for anyone else which is why, of course, it's just that; my opinion. OK book. I'd recommend it to certain people, but not to every warrior, everywhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars A blog post does not a chapter make., April 22, 2013
This review is from: Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed (Hardcover)
I really feel that I need to review this is two parts to accurately convey my feelings about this book, so I'm going to start with the nitty gritty here--the writing. I find books written from blogs to be problematic. Writing a book and writing a blog are not the same thing and, taking pieces from a blog and putting them into a book tends to be unsatisfying for me. A blog post does not a chapter make. I'm sure there have been blogs to books that are able to avoid this misstep, but Carry On, Warrior is not one of them.

Melton's writing is entertaining--in small doses. I suppose if I had had the luxury to read one chapter of this book every couple of days I might have found it more satisfying, but that was not the case. While there were passages, and sometimes entire chapters, that I found entertaining, the book as a whole was just too, well, bloggy.

Carry On, Warrior also fell into the chronology trap. On a blog, you can follow whatever timeline your heart desires--it is one of the freedoms a blog allows. However, you cannot apply that same principle in a book. Melton seemed to be all over the place with her chronology. For example, she talked about wanting to adopt. Then she talked about not adopting, then she finished the book with the entire adoption drama. I really just couldn't keep things straight.

Okay, part number two. If you are a fan of Melton's site, Momastery, you will like this book. In fact, I'd be surprised if you didn't absolutely love it. And you should stop reading this review right now.

I will admit that I'm not a regular reader of her blog, but I "like" her on Facebook and sometimes I pop in to see what she's writing about. However, beyond that, I am a pretty clean slate when it comes to Glennon Doyle Melton.

Now that I've said that, you can consider yourselves all warned about what I'm about to write.

The truth of it is that I just didn't like her. Glennon Doyle Melton.

I'm sure she is a very nice person and, yes, she is an entertaining blogger. I know she raises money for needy causes and generally tries to do good. But, she just isn't my cup of tea. After reading her book, I think I'd go batty if I were in her company for more than half an hour.

I tried to pin down what it was that really got under my skin--and that is why I had to divide this review up. Once I got past the blog-like nature of this book, I realized what it was--and I'm sure I'm going to offend more than a few "Monkees" over this.

Melton presents herself as some sort of spiritual leader and, frankly, she is far from having the chops for it. Humor and spirituality can go hand in hand, but glibness and spirituality really don't and, unfortunately, I found her more glib than humorous. As the book went on, I just found her more and more annoying.

To make matters worse, I read some of her recent posts on her site, which contradict (for lack of a better word) what she has written in her book about her family. After that, I just didn't believe her anymore and, sadly, that is the kiss of death for me with a book.

I debated how many stars to give this book and I ended up with 3--while I do feel that my criticisms about the technicalities of the book are fair, I also recognize that my personal feelings about Melton are not shared by everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glennon Doyle Melton, I love you, February 17, 2014
Sharon "wintersky" (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
For two days I have needed to clean my house, cause company is coming next week. All day today I have needed to shower. But I haven't been able to do either, because I couldn't stop reading this book. Even better, this book made me feel okay about this decision. Along the way I have stopped to post numerous quotes from the kindle edition to Facebook, caused it's just that kind of a book. I'm on my own journey with my own questions, and this book didn't exactly answer my questions, but it opened conversations in my head.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and uplifting, October 3, 2013
This review is from: Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed (Hardcover)
I heard about this book after "liking" Glennon's Facebook page "Momastery". It's a quick read that had me feeling emotional during and after...though to be fair, I read it over the course of a few days during some of my breast pumping sessions at work, so perhaps there were some hormones at play from the beginning.
What I really liked about it, is that even though there is a lot of Jesus talk, the descriptions used to communicate the author's feelings and understanding of Jesus were actually very Eastern. The philosophy that God lives inside each and every soul on Earth is a part of Hinduism as well as Glennon's Christianity. As a college religion professor, I am happy when people outside my profession recognize the common ground among religious beliefs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, April 3, 2013
This review is from: Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed (Hardcover)
I have read this book cover to cover twice in the last 48 hours! I feel like Glennon is speaking directly to me. I especially love her letters to her son, and honesty about her checkered past. A perfect combination of humor, tears, and soul touching words. This book is a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get thee to The Momastery!!, October 3, 2013
Triptbishop "Triptbishop" (Bryan, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed (Hardcover)
I don't fit the mold you'd expect for a reader of Glennon Doyle Melton's _Carry On Warrior_. I'm a 50-year-old male whose children are all of out the house. I'm not a mom with toddlers and school children. I don't drive a minivan. I don't pack lunches for kiddos smaller than hobbits. But I do pack me some Glennon--'cuz she writes damn good and with a passion that does her faith credit.

Glennon keeps it completely real in this memoir/reverie/slice-of-life/testimonial to living life brutifully book. Don't read it in one sitting (though you'll be tempted to do so, for her style is that inviting). Instead, read a chapter a day over a cup of coffee or a mellow brew. Pick a quiet time when the world isn't invading your heart, demanding a response. And let your heart and spiritual lungs just breath in this Momastery of Monkees. And you'll need the breath, because you'll be snarfing that coffee at Glennon's humor, forthrightness, and uncommonly poignant common sense.

Glennon is a heart and soul for all ages, but most of all for this one. Let her make you laugh, love, and appreciate your blessings. Her words WILL change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, real and hilarious!, April 2, 2013
Glennon opens up her life and by simply sharing her fears, her failures and her revelations about life, she gives us permission to be ourselves. Her stories remind us that we are all really fighting the same battle and that we are all united despite where we come from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love wins, April 4, 2013
I have followed Momastery for a long time and this book is a treasure. Wether you've read parts before or not we all need to learn more about love. Read this and love.

Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed
Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed by Glennon Doyle Melton (Hardcover - April 2, 2013)
$25.00 $19.28