Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

Price:$49.99+ $6.99 shipping

on December 29, 2011
I bought this toy on sale recently as a Christmas present for my 3-year old son, and was lucky to have got it almost 66% off the list-price. We had seen it at the Petersen Automotive Museum the day before and he was taken in by the Allinol gasoline pump that comes with the toy. The Lightning McQueen model that comes with this is plastic with painted on logos (no stickers) and measures about 3 inches or so in length... its smaller than the diecast Lightning McQueen that my son already has. Setting this up was very simple. The gasoline pump needs 6 AA batteries, and Lightning McQueen has a rechargeable battery. Off the box, it took about 15 minutes for the car to be charged.

The actions of the car are very realistic... especially, the mouth movements when the car talks seem straight out of the movie. Its also very fast. However, its actions do become a little repetitive. There are three modes with 7 separate actions each in the first two, and one in the third (long range driving).

For me, the main drawback is that although I bought it for my son, I'm not confident enough of its sturdiness to let him play with it unsupervised. So, whenever he wants to play with it (which is about once or twice a day at this point), I end up playing with him. Its kept out of his reach at other times. Having said that, it has run into our dining table a couple of times, and was none the worse for the wear. Overall, I would consider this is a good toy for an older kid, adults, or collectors (I must admit I enjoy playing with it).

UPDATE

So its now been about 15 months since I first got this. Still works great. My son is now almost 5 and now can operate it independently without a problem.
on January 3, 2012
This 'toy' is not for toddlers.

It really is amazing, but not for toddlers.

It is a 1:55 scale robot car. It takes roughly 20 minutes to fully charge. Once charged, Lightning McQueen comes alive.
There are three modes to this robot car. In mode one, there are seven animations. In mode two, there are four animations.
In mode three, there is one animation. You need space to play with this. The car is extremely fast and will drive away on you.

The play is fun, but this is not the same as the other Cars toys.

This will not stand up to kid play. It really is a delicate robot.
That being said, perfect gift for a big kid.
on June 9, 2012
My grandson loves all the Cars characters especially Lightning McQueen and Mater. I saw a short video from Mattel on building this toy and was curious as to availability and price. At $25.00 this toy is a steal. The mouth moves while it talks as do the eyes. It has about a dozen or so pre-programmed movements and sayings. The movements are pretty incredible for a toy like this. It combines several moves at a time. It races in curves, circles, and other moves. Lightning will say what he is about to do, then does the move and says a few more words and will do another move or two. I am not sure how they can make any money on this toy at this price. From the Mattel video it sounded like they borrowed some technology from other toys they have worked on, but this is one polished product. My grandson wouldn't let it out of his hands for the first day, but on day two he wanted me to run it so he could get close to the floor and watch Lightning talk. When the Allinol fuel charger was running my grandson eagerly checked the charger until the "Red" light turned out meaning Lightning was re-charged. Once my daughter saw this car and how it worked she immediately bought one too.
on July 16, 2014
i bought it for my son who is 1 half years old, it is a must for collectors that i bought an extra one incase this gets damaged. it moves and makes sounds, it is more for adults and not kids as a collector's piece. but work the price and the buy
on April 8, 2012
Of course my grandson loves this car. The racing motor sounds are exciting and the tires squeeling as he spins around is lots of fun, even for us adults. Lightning's voice is the real thing too! I think this toy teaches my grandson to have a gentle touch with his toys as you only have to tap the roof lightly to make the car go. It also teaches children to have patience while they stand back and watch McQueen race around, it really goes pretty fast! Great toy!
on February 24, 2013
My son loves this toy. He has always been a big fan of Ligthning McQueen, but this toy with its interactive talking, movement and likeness to the original movie has my son plaing with it all the time.
on January 22, 2013
my son loved it i got 2 more for my nephews and will send overseas! it's fun for kids and adults
on May 24, 2013
This little car is amazing. You charge it up with the included battery operated charger. Then lightning is off! Zooming around, spinning, talking. So much fun for kids and adults.
on January 5, 2013
It is fabulously entertaining but not sure how durable it will be with my 2yr old. It seems a little delicate. For the discount price I paid I would be willing to buy a spare.
on January 2, 2013
at first this toy was so cool and entertaining but it didn't last. After the first day of use he doesn't want to GO! The animation and voice is amazing though!

See 1 answered question