Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cars - Xbox
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Platform: Xbox|Change

My 7 year old son and I LOVED the movie Cars. We have several Cars books, the soundrack--my son even has Cars light-up sneakers and wallet!

It was with great anticipation that we got the PS2 Cars game a few days ago.

Let me start off by saying that this game is not very intuitive, and would definitely be problematic for younger children--even experienced racing or platform gamers. My son kept roaming the streets of Radiator Springs and I got to thinking "Man, there's GOT to be more to the game than this!"

So I went about trying to unlock various mini-games and races. (The guidebook wasn't much help.) I finally realized that not only did you need to "collect" (run into) lightning bolts for points, but you had to complete various races and mini-games to unlock more of the same. This isn't unusual, of course, but it's quite confusing. For example, a raceway may look familiar in the menu, but what you don't realize is that you need to race it *several times* to unlock other features.

I also figured out that the circular map on the screen (that you can disable if you want) features green and white dots on it. Green dots indicates a spot you can drive to for racing/games that it's an event you've already done. White dots are new events/games that you've unlocked.

Another confusing aspect is that there is an Arcade Mode and Story Mode--as well as other options. Figuring out what does what can be confusing. For example, let's say you've earned enough points to unlock cool paint jobs for Lightning McQueen. Well, you wouldn't go to Ramones, believe it or not. You have to first go to Bonus Materials, buy your paint job/s, THEN go back to Ramones for him to apply it. (And the load times seems unusually long!)

Other Bonus Material includes unlocking characters (Ramone, Flo, a souped up McQueen that's like a monster truck, Doc, the Sheriff, Sally, Mater, etc.), paint jobs, and movie clips.

Some of the mini-games are very difficult without the circular map. We played a "Find the Postcards" game and only found SIX out of 20 on our own WITHOUT the map. Some mini-games appear to have various levels, too. For example, there's a Tractor Tipping Game where you can be either Mater or Lightning. You must stealthily creep up on sleeping tractors, toot the horn to "tip" them, and avoid Frank's lights. In subsequent levels of this same mini-game, there are other moving searchlights you must avoid (in addition to a roaming Frank), and actions you must perform in order to access trucks in a maze (such as pushing wheeled bridges to cross over gulches.) I believe there are 6 levels to that game, which I've completed.

You can choose various levels of expertise, and Rookie seems to work just fine for me and my son. I'm able to win races in this game, whereas I can't even steer straight in games like Need for Speed! However, my son and I keep placing last in Mater's Rustbucket Race-O-Rama (a dirt track arena complete with hills and rusty car parts!), so I don't know what's up with that.

Other mini-games we've experienced so far (we're at the beginning of Chapter 2 in Story Mode) include Luigi finding tires (we're on Level 3) and racing with Doc while learning how to Power Slide. (This comes in handy for racing, because you earn extra points for tricks, including this Power Slide.)

One of the arena races features a very cool mini-game in the form of a Pit Stop: after exiting the raceway, there are four button games controlling Guido's tire changing. For example, there may be 5 symbols on a tire and you have to press them in order. Or, you may have to quickly toggle between square and circle for him to squeegy the windows in time.

We've already noticed several glitches on this game, including lagging/freezing, bright lights "spiking" from cars, and one level not even opening (black screen). I have a feeling that this game was rushed to coincide with the movie's release. We'll be taking it back to the store tomorrow, telling them it's defective. HOPEFULLY, it's only one game and the next one is fine, but I have a feeling it's a designer flaw...

If you like racing games, there's a lot here for you. You can free roam in an extensive landscape (off-roading, too), race various speedways and town races, and play amusing mini-games. It may be frustrating for younger gamers, as I said, so parents may need to babysit the controls to help unlock games. But if you're little one just likes to race and roam (or crash into other cars, as my son likes to do)--then it's a nice game.
on March 7, 2013
Bought this as a good behavior reward for my son who's 7 years old. He is definitely a little gamer though and working his way up the games. He has finished this several times over but enjoys getting to drive around as his favorite cartoon.

It was easy for him to figure out and to play. Sometimes with other games he has to ask for help but this one he was able to do alone. That's NOT to say it was too easy. It did take him a while to beat it all the first time around and he enjoys the repeat playing in part because he gets to strive for better and better scores.

He's even begun letting his 4 year old sister try her hand at playing it and she loves it as much as he does. We have fun all playing together sometimes, perfect for family time.

I would absolutely recommend this game to anyone with little Car's lovers in their homes.
on December 24, 2013
My son conned me into getting this for him... I turned out not so bad. The stunning graphics and sound effects were made by some really smart folks.... Little Stevie enjoyed it for hours and hours... Highly recommended! - Marj and Mark Tahiliani (jm2)
on November 20, 2013
This is a really fun game. It is a bit challenging for young kids that would normally like Cars, however, it can be learned and advanced as you go. There are ways younger ones can play without feeling defeated right away.
on December 18, 2012
Very nice game. Follows the kid friendly theme of the movies. Voice overs are true and there are a lot of races and interesting things for the little ones to do. The adults can enjoy an outing to the track with their children or grandchildren. Enjoy!
on August 30, 2006
We love the Cars movie and this video game does not disappoint. I bought this for my 4 year old son and he loves it. It is easy enough for him not to become frustrated, yet there are many levels to unlock that also keeps it challenging. His dad and I love to play also.
on December 2, 2010
Mon petit garçon de 5 ans est très fier de son nouveau jeu. Très amusant pour son âge, il est heureux de retrouver ses personnages favoris, Mater, Flash et même Mack!! Bon achat pour vos petits!!!
on August 31, 2007
My 2 year old son loves the movie Cars. I bought this game for a change of pace from the movie. My son will watch me play it and thinks he's just seeing "extras and out-takes" from the movie! Nice little change of pace for a Dad who's really getting tired of seeing the movie...over and over and over! Fun game every now and then...certainly not halo though.
on April 26, 2015
It's great for my kids
on June 7, 2016
Once again it doesn't work keeps freezing already returned it and it looks like the same one came back I would give no stars if possible