5.0 out of 5 stars See a whole new world
I use this for checking gold ore samples in the field as well as general looking at the microscopic world.

The LED light is great but I did have one problem. I left it on and the next time I tried to use it the light would not work.... dead batteries. Unfortunately the batteries cost near $5 each times 3= $15.

All is not lost however. The Rite Aid...
Published on August 9, 2009 by Glenn R. Kangiser

1.0 out of 5 stars Lens Diameter too small - I returned It
As others have noted, this appears to be a nice product until you actually get your hands on it.
Published on October 9, 2011 by Andy S

5.0 out of 5 stars See a whole new world, August 9, 2009
This review is from: Carson 60X-100X MicroMax LED Lighted Pocket Microscope (MM-200) (Camera)

All is not lost however. The Rite Aid (Pharmacy) had hearing aid batteries that, while not the same type as the listed required batteries, were the same physical size but were 1.4 volts instead of 1.5. I did not feel that this would be an issue and decided to try it. They worked just fine and were $16 for 24 of them, so about $.67 each. Much better and I now have 8 changes in case I forget to turn it off again.

The replacement type I found was Size 312, hearing aid batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars lots of fun, March 20, 2011
i actually bought this so i can inspect plant resin on my flowers to see when they are ready to harvest. but i find it's so easy to get carried away with it. wall's, carpet, leaves, pet fur, sugar on the table, bugs, dirt, lol if it was in my house i inspected it. it's lots of fun. i only wish i could see the air on a microscopic level. but we cant have everything. all in all its a great buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice bit of kit., August 29, 2009
The Carson MM-200 is a fantastic bit of equipment. The size is just slightly larger than what the photo shows on the product page. It is TINY!! The product quality, however, is excellent. It has a great LED lamp, and I haven't had it long enough to comment on the battery life. It is WAY better than the previous ones I have owned with regular little bulbs which gives everything an orange hue, or the LED ones which are flimsy as heck.

I use it for various things: from checking out small bug-things on plants to fine details on stamps or even just my arm (for a laugh!). It really is quite versatile and has great magnification!

Now for the bad. It is TINY!!! The knobs are a bit fiddly specially when you're using one hand and need to adjust the focus. The other pocket scopes I have tried usually have a larger gripping area and larger dials. Hopefully it will loosen up with some use.

Other than its size (which I do very much like for convenience, but is a bit fiddly), it is a great scope.

A good alternative, for those with waning coordination, might be a pocket USB microscope, or even one of the larger varieties from Carson!

1.0 out of 5 stars Lens Diameter too small - I returned It, October 9, 2011
Andy S (Washington, DC, USA) - See all my reviews
It has a miniscule lens diameter which makes it extremely frustrating to use: 1) it's almost impossible to find anything; (2) it's a strain on the eye. I strongly advise not buying this unless you really know what you are getting (Amazon charged me 1/3 the price to return it).

If you don't truely need the 100x (which doesn't work anyway), here are some lighted Jeweler's Loupe alternatives on Amazon to consider:

- 30x22mm plus 60x12mm combo (11.99 with free shipping): The 22m lens diameter on the 30x makes it easy to scan an area and inspect it. Then, you can use the 60x12mm lens to look at it really closely. The 60x12mm lens diameter is small but still much bigger than on the Carson. And, it's location adjacent to the 30x22mm makes it relatively easy to switch between the two magnifications.[...]

- 40x 25mm, ($7.99 with free shipping). This has a very nice 40x with an awesome 25mm lens diameter that enables you to scan areas using the eye's peripheral vision. It is shipped directly from China so it took almost two weeks to arrive, but when it did it quickly became my favorite. [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Plant Tissue Analysis, April 29, 2011
Great product, monitoring flower development has never been easier. The optics are plastic so the clarity isn't exactly perfect, but is much better than I was expecting. Zoom/focus nobs are rubberized and are nice and tight and smooth operating, far from "fiddly". The led puts out plenty of light, although it gives a very slight blue caste to the specimen, doesn't distort the color of the image too much. Ambers can be easily differentiated. For the price I'm more than pleased, especially since other identical products sell for twice as much -- just wish it came with a case!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool, January 22, 2010
At this price I wasn't really expecting to get a really high quality tool but I was pleasantly surprised. This thing gives a crystal clear picture of anything you want to look at up close. I used it to clearly read the microprint on a $20 bill and my driver license and discovered that the RGB subpixels on my Samsung LCD TV have an interesting zigzag pattern on them, among other things. I think the LED must have some ultraviolet output as everything seems to have bright white fluorescing specks on it.

I also like the size of it; it's smaller than I expected. It really is a pocket microscope. One drawback to the small size is that it doesn't use AAA batteries, like the description mistakenly claims. It uses the less common and more expensive small button-type batteries. The box claims it uses SG3 (#392) batteries but the instruction sheet says SG7 (#392) whereas the included batteries have SR41 printed on them... so there seems to be a lot of confusion about the battery type. I haven't used it very much yet so I can't comment on battery life but the LED seems very bright so I wouldn't be surprised if it drains the little things pretty quickly.

The zoom and focus knobs are nice and tight to prevent unintentional slippage but not so tight that they're difficult to turn. Overall, I'm very pleased with this item and would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good microscope, October 22, 2009
i will start by saying that the 4 reviews prior to mine are good and accurate. i am very impressed with several features of this item. the best part is the optics. the clarity of the lens is really good and distortion free; something uncommon at this price point and above. the second best feature is the magnification; simply great. the LED light is a big bonus inside or out (it's rare you will have the perfect amount of light to illuminate your subject). Finally, the value is exceptional.

i got this for my wife as part of a set i wanted to build for playful adventure along with a better PC based system that can allow us to use the PC screen to view and even capture images. this almost outshines the other due to the quality and portability. it's new so no word yet on durability but i will try to update this review in a few months. highly recommended! P.S. check out what day-old beard stubble looks like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just call me Mister Butterfingers, October 5, 2009
Let me begin by saying, I love this microscope. For the money it is well worth it. I will always be an inquisitive person and this tool makes the world that much more fascinating.

The light is very bright but the entire unit has enough weight to make it easy to keep track of. Having said that, if you have large hands, like I do, the controls can be a bit difficult to deal with at first. I found myself losing my subject from moving the microscope around while trying to operate the focus and enlarge controls. Once they get a little loosened up and you get more comfortable with them, this problem subsides.

This product coupled with Wikipedia has really opened up my amateur entomology endeavors. Just what I need, another distraction. Thanks Carson!

2.0 out of 5 stars Save Your Money, January 20, 2010
Tat - Ace (Lake Worth, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this for checking edges on barber's razors, also known as straight razors. I sharpen them and use them for shaving. The scope is a pain to focus as other reviewers have mentioned and in my opinion the optics are inferior. There is a learning curve with using the tool because of the inverted image and the difficulty in focusing while maintaining the view of the object. Once that is overcome the optical quality falls short. A 30x eye loupe from Widget Supply was a far better investment for my purposes. You pays your money and you takes your chances. In this instance I ended up a loser. So for me it was a waste of money. Your mileage may vary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carson pocket microscope a hit, December 28, 2009
Robert W. (Duluth, MN USA) - See all my reviews
We gave the Carson MM-200 Micromax Lighted Pocket Microscope as a gift for our 7 yr. old granddaughter. After opening the present, she was delighted in looking at cat hair, different fabrics, etc. The lighted field of vision is remarkably bright and she had no problem in focusing the microscope. Wonderful product.