5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs
My two sons are archers in the Junior Olympic Archery Development program. I purchased this monocular to allow me to see the target grouping of the arrows down range. Typically, the distance is about 80 feet. This monocular gives me a clear view from that distance and enables me to score each end.

The focuser is operated with two fingers and is very...
Published on March 24, 2007 by David M. Swagler

3.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough
Published 22 months ago by RiverShopper

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs, March 24, 2007
This review is from: Carson Bandit 8x25 Quick-Focus Monocular (BA-825) (Electronics)

The focuser is operated with two fingers and is very accurate. It makes it easy to share with others and quicky refocus.

Great piece of equipment. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for birdwatching, October 26, 2009
I've used this monocular increasingly over the last few years as my birdwatching events have increased, but it was invaluable on a recent driving vacation through several northeastern states. Functioning as the navigator, I was generally able to spot street and highway exchange signs and then actually read them much sooner than otherwise and then to advise the driver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect..., September 21, 2009
A meter readers dream, I LOVE this scope. I use it to read meters from a distance several hundred times a day, 5 days a week. It fits nicely in my shirt pocket, the focus is ETREAMLY FAST! The fact that the scope rests in the palm of your hands steadies the finger shake picked up from barrel scopes. The offset in the optics allows you to invert the scope to give you an extra inch of height when looking over fences, as well as the fact the scope is operated entirely from one hand, which is priceless when standing on your tippy toes to see over something, or are hanging from a wall you've gotta look over. There is only one draw back I have with this thing. It's only available in 8x, if it were a 10x32 it would be absolutely perfect. Although the optics can be easily changed out from most cheap 10x25 binos, but if you do the swap, the objective must be moved forward about 5mm for proper focus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carson Bandit 8x25 Quick-Focus Monocular, September 17, 2012
I am a hunter, and this optic is great for spotting and checking targets. Before, the optic on my rifle is what I would have used, but this is much safer as I can find what I'm looking for without having to point my firearm at it. As an added bonus, being a monocular, it allows you to focus on a far away obect with one eye, and yet still have full peripheral vision with the other eye.

The one handed manipulation is great when carrying a firearm, as setting the weapon down to pick up binoc's is noisy and the motion can attract attention. Being able to simply pull this up to my eye is much quicker an quieter than any sighting system I've had before.

This thing is LIGHT. I almost forget I have it on me. Anyone who spends a lot of time outdoors knows that ounces = pounds and pounds = pain, and the less you have to carry the better. This is the best of both worlds.

No complaints from this sportsman.

I would definitely reccomend to anyone who hunts/hikes/birdwatches/camps.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great spotter for the price, March 17, 2011
Being an extensive backpacker, I'm always on the lookout for something that is practical, and yet a good value. This is one such item. It is smaller than I expected---which, if you're an outdoorsman, is a good thing, as accumulated weight is an issue. It fit right into my hand. The rubberized coating is pleasing to the touch, giving sufficient grip. I found that with a minute of practice, the single-handed focusing lever was easy to get used to. This is important to a hiker, where both hands might not be free. The optics are crystal clear, made even more appealing with the quick-focus system. The case is decent, felt lined faux leather, with a somewhat flimsy belt strap.

The downside is that there is no lens cap, and the construction of the unit is lightweight---take it out for a weekend of hiking, but not for prolonged or professional outings, for which you'd need stronger optics anyway. It is light enough to float, but don't count on it. Since it is so lightweight it probably wouldn't take much damage from a hard fall, but it probably wont take much damage to put it out of calibration at any rate.

All in all, an excellent value for the weekend explorer. My suggestion: go to a reputable camera store and buy a lens cap for it, and you'll have a monocular that will serve your needs for many adventures to come!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough, March 18, 2013
Update: Disappointing after more use. Hard to focus, eye strain. At first I was getting some clear views, but now after a few uses, it's impossible to focus for far away objects. Even when it was working better, the lever is hard to fine tune, just as many people noted. The overall shape is awkward and requires that big case, almost binocular size, and the case belt strap is a joke. It's as thick as a piece of tape and broke immediately. Not great for wearing glasses either. This product may impress at first, but it's flawed and needs improvement. Now I'm back where I started, still looking for a quality monocular. This one doesn't cut it.

Original review: Much nicer than my first pocket monocular. The view is clear and focus is pretty sharp. Also light. I think this is a winner. Only problem is that its unusual shape makes the carrying case larger than it should be. I wish there were a smaller case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably easy to use, April 9, 2009
I found the item to be light and very easy to use. I am legally blind and need to check airline schedules, etc. It works very well and I often do not have 2 hands. I really liked the one hand focus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Monocular, July 29, 2009
Carson Bandit 8x25 Quick-Focus Monocular I think anyone looking for a monocular will be happy with this product. It fits well in my hand including the focus. The focus takes a little practice because it is so sensative. It's really handy to carry and the image is clear. I'm glad I purchased it.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FOR BIRD WATCHING, July 11, 2006
JK "JK'S CASITA" (ST. PETERSBURG, FL) - See all my reviews
FAIRLY EASY TO ADJUST, MUCH EASIER THAN BINOCS. SEE A BIRD, GRAB IT AND SEE. THIS WILL FOCUS ON TREES FAR OUT OR AT THE FEEDER. GREAT BUY.

4.0 out of 5 stars Carson one handed 'Rocker Focus' monocular, August 13, 2012
I purchased this little jewel to satisfy a single task, but since have found it to be the single best solution to anything that requires me to quickly extend my vision.

I now keep it with me all the time for that (information gathering) moment that would have otherwise been lost.

Once you become accustomed to the (Rocker-Focus) feature, you will be amazed at the acquisition speed, and wonder how you managed to get along without this little monocular in the past!

I rarely use binoculars anymore because the 'Carson Bandit' gets the information I need in a fraction of the time.

Some have questioned its durability; To them I say, "I am sure you can break it, if you have a mind too, but DON'T"! I have found the provided (neck-cord) to be a reasonable and secure alternative. :)

Everything considered, the price is so cost effective, what is the concern?

I would recommend The Carson Bandit 8x25 'Quick-Focus' Monocular to my friends.

But I like my term of 'Rocker-Focus' better! :)

bob