Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing

Style Name: Single Pack|Change

on June 18, 2009
This magnifying glass may be fun for kids. The packaging seems to have been designed with kids in mind as well. The blister pack packaging has an insect background and lots of brightly colored foilage.

I would not recommend this product for adults. It isn't a serious magnifying glass. The magnification level is quite weak, maybe 2X at best although I have my doubts about even that. The overall size (w/5" lens) is a bit unwieldy although that is clearly indicated in the actual listing. The lens is plastic as described which makes it highly susceptable to scratching in a drawer and especially so with kids to be certain. Consider it to be a cheap toy and you'll probably be satisfied with it.

I would probably have returned it except the cost of doing so would have been nearly equal to it's cost. I ended up purchasing a replacement at a local office supply chain at a little more than double the price, but it works.

Two stars for the potential kid value v.s. the cost but otherwise I would recommend that you keep looking if you are looking for a truly functional product.
99 comments|142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2010
Bought this for my almost-4 yr old grandson who loves bugs. He loved it, but after not much use the glass kept falling out of the frame. I don't think he abused it at all.
I'm going to buy a smaller one for him with a sturdier rim. I'm going to try some super glue on this one to see if it'll keep the glass in the frame.
on September 6, 2011
I checked for a loose lens..it was solidly in there. I looked closer and it was glued in spots. I think they read comments and tweeked the product. This is a truly big lens, and it does a lot well. As plastic lenses go, the distortion on this one is light, does not appear until you push the power, and happens in a way that still lets you see some detail. This acrylic lens is lighter than a 5" glass, and much brighter than the typical window-glass magnifier. For reading tiny type or little computer characters or details, it's handy, and quicker to bring to bear on the problem with the big view. Holding it 2-3 inches from the eyes and getting close in is really amazing, like those magnifier-visors. You get more power with it by
your eyes, and the 5" size gives you the view in stereo. To those who want more power: the bigger the lens the less power before bad distortion sets in. That's just the way it works. 5x or 10x will push you to 2 inches or 1 inch diameter. At 2x this will let you see a lot more detail with comfort than without it. I found a sandwich bag ziploc makes a perfect dust cover. Good for kids+bugs, crafts, electronic hook-ups, fine print, or someone with vision issues on regular print. As a toy it's actually quite usable. Other toy magnifiers are worse than nothing at all. Looming over a bug with eyes near the thing works quite well.
on May 13, 2012
I bought this for my 6 year-old granddaughter who just happens to love bugs. It's very sturdy and she loves it, so we'll keep it. The overall quality is much better than I expected, after reading the reviews. I'm sure she'll have hours of fun with it. So what's the problems, you ask? The listing says nothing about the magnification level. I was expecting maybe 3-5x. The packaging says 2X. I don't think so.... Doesn't magnify hardly at all. She wants to be able to count the number of legs on her pill bugs, centipedes and bees. She'll have to find some other way. I'll get her a "10X" magnifier and hope for 5X. Her friends can use this one.
on December 4, 2009
This size magnifier with handle is just great. It seems to be lightweight enough to hold for awhile without getting weary holding it & it covers an area so much better than the one I have been using,which is about 3" x 3". I also have one of the 8" x 10" but you have to hold it up & away from the page & without a handle, it is awkward. So I am glad I ordered this.
on February 5, 2010
This is probably the best magnifier I have used, in a very long time. I read maps with it and finally, I have a glass that is large enough to see surronding areas without moving the glass all around.
on February 9, 2011
This is the second one of these I've bought. Now I keep one in the living room and one beside the computer in my office. The large size lets me read whole sentences and paragraphs when the type is too small for aging eyes. Like this type!
on April 16, 2012
Provides sufficient magnification for my needs and was what I expected to get. Reading the miriad of reviews for magnifiers it is boggling that any reviews would actually be useful. There seem to be just as many people satisfied with a particular product as the next and many distractors that get fully into the technical aspects of diopters and true measurements of X-magnification specified in the product description compared with what they experience. This product for the price and the size was what I needed. A large field of view (only slightly distorded at the edges): Check. A focal length that allows me to work on painting fine detail at a distance that is comfortable and unobstructed: Check. A price that I was happy with: Check. This magnifier is acrylic and provides a clear view. It is not glass and so I will have to be very careful with dust and scratches. Overall I can't find any fault in the product that would warrant less than 5 stars. If you are a technical nut that needs to have a VERY specific level of magnification, buying online may be a less than ideal approach as you cannot validate before you get it in your hands.
on September 14, 2009
There is little I can say. I recived it quickly in 2 days of ordering it. I am very happy with my magnifier. It is not Glass, and I wish it had a sleeve to keep it from getting any stray dust on it. However I just use a soft glass cloth that came with my Camera, and so it's also easy to keep clean. The handle was a little light, so it is not heavy duty. Overall however it was a good buy, I can read again now.
VINE VOICEon May 8, 2012
I like the idea of a big magnifier, and one that is 5" fits the bill perfectly. Unfortunately, the magnification power wass not stated anywhere on the product page when I purchased it. It's merely 2 times magnification. For me, it has limited usefulness.

At least Amazon has corrected the problem.