5.0 out of 5 stars Do you understand what you are ordering?
I've read some comments about these receiving blankets which make me wonder whether the reviewers understand what a receiving blanket is.

Published 21 months ago by Oldog_Oltrix

3.0 out of 5 stars Shrinking and pilling issues, but color doesn't fade.
Published on February 24, 2011 by Jennifer Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you understand what you are ordering?, February 18, 2013

A receiving blanket is a thin, lightweight, inexpensive piece of fabric which derives from the simple plain cloth once used to wrap newborn babies. Originally plain white, most are now printed on one side to make them "cute". It's actually a CLOTH, not a BLANKET. But the name is accurate, not misleading advertising. They've been called receiving blankets for decades.

If you think that a RECEIVING BLANKET is the same thing as a CRIB BLANKET, your confusion is probably going to create unrealistic expectations that will cause you to be unfair to Carters, a top-of-the-line provider of infant supplies.

A crib blanket is a much more substantial, much heavier, much thicker, much more elegant, and considerably more expensive critter. It is truly what we usually think of as a blanket.

Now, if you think that somebody is going to sell you 4 crib blankets for 10 or 15 bucks, you are hopelessly misled. For this kind of money, you are going to get exactly what you ordered -- 4 very nice quality receiving blankets.

Some of the comments are sadly clueless -- they read like "I ordered a subcompact and I'm angry that they didn't send me a luxury vehicle."

3.0 out of 5 stars Shrinking and pilling issues, but color doesn't fade., February 24, 2011
This review is from: Carters Wrap Me Up Receiving Blanket, Brown/Sage Circles, 4 Pack (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Baby Product)
Despite the typical receiving blanket size, somehow these have just ended up shrinking. We wash in cold water, and tumble dry on the lowest heat setting. They shrunk to a point where they were not usable to swaddle our baby, he was 5lbs 4 oz at birth, and even at this beginning point it was a struggle. By the time he reached 7lbs, we couldn't use these for this at all anymore.
Luckily, we have found them extremely beneficial for tucking in around him after he's buckled into his car seat for an extra layer of warmth. We also use them for spit up, and to place under him during nursing.
They do have a bit of a pilling problem. It isn't enough so that I wouldn't use them, just disappointing that the flannel isn't of a higher quality.
The colors do stay fairly vibrant, even after many washes.
Though we've had luck with other Carter's receiving blankets, these particular ones, (Brown/Sage Circles) have definitely deterred us from purchasing Carter's brand blankets. We've actually had better luck with the Babies 'R' Us brand, Koala Baby, and they are a bit cheaper as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars best ever, March 17, 2009
Erika Fallin "Erika" (Chesapeake Beach, MD) - See all my reviews
These receiving blankets are perfect for swaddling because of their size. I haven't been able to find other receiving blankets as long as these. Plus, they have really held up after numerous washes as they tend to get used for burp clothes too.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are a MUST HAVE, November 9, 2009
These are large and very useful blankets, perfect for swaddling! They stay fairly soft and end up being all purpose in my household: burp cloth, play mat, swaddle blanket, carseat blanket etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for swaddling, January 10, 2013
I never knew what to do when people give me receiving blankets because they are always too small to swaddle, but then I got a set of these as a gift. They are longer than normal receiving blankets and are perfect for swaddling newborn babies. I ordered some as a gift for a friend. These are a great item for baby showers when you don't know what else to get.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly what I wanted...but ok., March 1, 2013
I bought the yellow bee version of this: Summer Infant 3 Piece SwaddleSquare Muslin Blanket before my son was born (we kept the sex a surprise). I LOVE these blankets, great size (if you swaddle..I don't), but I most love the soft, stretchy, a breathy fabric. I feel safe letting John use them during a nap and I use them for spit up cloths. I wanted some more blankets just like my yellow bee Summer Infant blankets that were boy themed now that I know I have a boy, but I didn't really like the patterns on the linked item so I looked at these blankets. Like my bee blankets they say 100% cotton (but don't say muslin...that must be the missing link) and they are almost as big as my bee blankets.

When I first received them I almost boxed them up for return immediately, they feel stiff and are not breathy and stretchy at all. I decided to give them a chance to soften up with a wash. I washed per instructions and they stayed the same size and got a little softer, but they still feel stiffer than I want and they look really dull and lint bally...after just ONE wash!!

They are soft enough to use as spit clothes and I can use them as a car seat blanket but I don't LOVE them like my other blankets. I'm on the fence about using them or returning them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for newborns, September 27, 2013
So useful when you have a newborn! Burp cloth, swaddle blanket, play mat, blanket, changing pad... we just kept these around the house and used them constantly. Still keep one in my diaper bag at all times (6 months old now) and use them as car seat blankets too. Love love love the print with the roses. I nostalgically look at these and remember the newborn days!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE, April 26, 2014
Bought about 4 packs of these. They are simple: flannel fabric with surged edges.
My infant son didn't like to sleep on the cotton bassinet sheet - so I used these as sheets (just tucked them in around the edges of the bassinet mattress). They worked great. Super soft, wash up great. They also work great as burp cloths.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute designs, great size, but looked fairly worn after 1st pre-use wash, December 11, 2010
We really liked these blankets - we got them at a carters outlet for a very discounted price, I was surprised to see the amazon price for these. GIven the price i paid i was very happy with the purchase, with the biggest (and really only) disappointing aspect being the color fade and slight pilling after the 1st preuse wash. What i like: size is awesome - perfect for swaddling a newborn, was big enough to use as an extra warm layer onto of my Arms Reach co-sleeper sheet, but could also be used as burp clothe or to drape over the car seat when baby's sleeping. Very versatile blankets. I really liked the patterns/design/print - very cute. Have gotten comments and inquiries multiple times when I've use the monkey one out. It's fairly soft and perfect for layering.

3.0 out of 5 stars okay but there are better options, February 1, 2011
These blankets are just okay. They are only finished with a serged edge, which I think makes them look cheap. They either shrank unevenly, or were never even to begin with, as they are quite obviously not a rectangle. The print is nice, but fades, and they are soft. There are much nicer blankets available that cost about the same. I was disappointed- normally I'm a huge Carter's fan!