5.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare ~

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy High End Watches on Amazon
Published on May 10, 2010 by K. Leib

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy High End Watches on Amazon, May 10, 2010
K. Leib (Dublin, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cartier Midsize W51011Q3 Tank Francaise Stainless Steel Watch (Watch)
Anyone shopping for a high end watch should avoid Amazon. The item I purchased arrived and was inoperable. I attempted to return the item and it was immediately shipped back with a notice that Amazon would not take it back claiming there were scratches on the band. After numerous calls to customer service and a flurry of emails, Amazon finally informed me the watch was covered under their warranty program. I had to ship the item to their service center (at my own expense, including the intial shipment to try and return the item) and still I have no working watch for my wife to enjoy. To date I am out the cost of a very expensive watch, and the cost of two separate UPS shipments - including insurance coverage.

If you are thinking of purchasing a watch on Amazon, go directly to the manufacturer. Trust me, it will save you a lot of time, frustration and effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare ~, July 17, 2008
Ordered this product online as a special birthday present. I received the item within three working days from Amazon; only to find that this item had been previously sold and reissued again. The watch is absolutely beautiful, but the bracelet clasp was defective (unable to fasten following the vendor's instructions). I received notification back from Amazon, they had received the watch back for a replacement; however, the notification referenced "battery dead" as the reason for the replacement. I wanted desperately to re-order, but I am sure they will simply re-issue the same watch back to me. Warning: do not try to resolve problems with Amazon online; I talked to more than three foreign speaking customer service agents (all very nice); however, it remains all talk and no action! You will NEVER have the opportunity to speak with anyone who has the ability to resolve problems. It is such a shame; the watch is beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars cartier midsize, August 16, 2008
A. Braudis (las vegas, nv) - See all my reviews
i was really happy with my purchase from amazon. i saved approximately $1k off sticker price of this watch and then didn't have to pay tax and/or shipping. i love this classic design and am so glad i was able to get it at a great price and not have to worry about it being real. i took it to my local jeweler and told him where i got it-and said if it came from amazon itself, no worries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cartier is the absolute best., May 8, 2009
My mom bought me a Cartier Santos watch awhile back, and when she wanted a watch for Mother's Day, I decided to return the favor. Amazon had the best price on the Ladies Tank Francaise. I was really nervous about ordering something like this from Amazon because of the warranty issue and the bad review about it arriving broken.

In my opinion, the warranty thing (Amazon warranty replaces manufacturer's warranty) might become a problem, but you're buying a Cartier. I just can't imagine if you got a defective product that Cartier wouldn't back it up. That's part of what you're getting with a well established brand like this.

Mine arrived as scheduled. The outer paper Cartier box looked like it had been opened several times- was pretty creased on the outside. But everything was perfect on the inside, including the actual "jewelry" box. Having bought a Cartier new from an actual jeweler before, it included all the same things. It even comes with some sort of Cartier CD- not sure what's on it.

Also, for anyone who stressed over what size face to get for a woman like I did, there are 2 ladies' sizes- a petite and a midsize. The petite is very small. I have a petite Santos, and it is perfect for me, but I have tiny wrists- like 4.5". My mom is about 5'6, average bone structure, and the midsize tank francaise was the perfect size for her. The petite would have just looked awkward on an average size wrist in my opinion. All of this really comes down to preference, but generally watch faces should be proportional to the wrist/hand size. I was thrilled that I got this one for her.

I hope it continues to work as well as my Cartier watch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful watch, but requires expensive maintenance, August 9, 2012
My husband bought me this watch, not from Amazon, but in Switzerland. I feel the need to tell people about my experience with this watch.

It cost over $4,000 when new, and I had no problems with it for 8 years, when it unexpectedly died. I assumed it needed a new battery. I brought it to Cartier in Manhasset, NY, for a new battery and the problems began. Not only did they charge me $50 for the new battery, but I had to pay a total of almost $450 (before tax) for "maintenance" that I was told the watch needed. This included cleaning, polishing, and other repairs which I was never given specific information on. I was told it included "whatever the watch needed", which could range from a new battery all the way to a new movement if required, plus a 12 month warranty on the work. I stupidly assumed that after paying this, I would not have any more trouble with the watch for another 8 years.

Two years after that, the watch died again. I stupidly brought it back to Cartier. (I assumed that no one but Cartier should touch the watch.) I AGAIN had to pay $450 for another "maintenance." When I told them that I had recently had this done (2 years before), they said "That sounds about right" and that I should expect to do this every 2-3 years. How ridiculous is this? To spend $4,000 on a watch, and then find out you have to spend another $500 on it every 2-3 years? If I knew this originally, I would NOT HAVE BOUGHT THIS WATCH. I think that they assume people will pay this because of the Cartier name, but personally I think it's pretty bad manufacturing to make something that dies every 2-3 years. I could have bought a Longines for LESS money and had no problems at all with it.

Then, after 6 months, the watch died again! I stormed back to Cartier and thankfully, since they guarantee their work for 12 months, they took the watch back and told me that there would be no cost to fix it, which they did, but never told me what they did or what was originally wrong with it.

Next time this watch dies (and I am sure it will), I may go back to Cartier and demand a new watch... wish me luck! If I even bother fixing it, I will bring the watch to my regular jeweler, who told me that they will put in the same battery as Cartier would, and even get a new Cartier movement if necessary and would never charge me the amount of money that Cartier did.

Overall, it is a beautiful watch, and I get lots of compliments on it. Also, lots of people stare with jealosy and never say a word! I do love it, but I am deeply annoyed that the quality is so low, and that the Cartier stores charge so much money for service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cartier francais, June 16, 2008
Absolutely love it! Truly a beautiful classic yet modern piece. Brought to my jeweler to authenticate. It's a real Cartier and arrived within three days. Way to go Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Query Cartier watch authenticity from Amazon, January 7, 2010
Joe (California) - See all my reviews
I purchased the watch directly from Amazon. The watch seems great and seems real; however I took it to Cartier and they told me they wanted to see the certificate of authenticity, stamped by the seller. The watch came without any certificate, and seemingly without any warranty. I am very troubled.

1.0 out of 5 stars big mistake, February 20, 2010
It was a big mistake to buy a Cartier watch through Amazon.com. The watch stopped working less than a month after I received it. I took it to Cartier to see if the problem was a dead battery. It was not the battery; the battery was fine, it was the watch itself. It cost over 400 dollars for repairs.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT TIMEPIECE, January 3, 2006
This watch has gotten me HUNDREDS of comments; it keeps great time and even after 2 years is not scratched at all!!! Overall a BEAUTIFUL piece of craftsmanship

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 2 years, January 24, 2013
Cenk Kamis (Chicago, IL. USA) - See all my reviews
Do not buy this product. It stopped working after 2 years with no reason and it costs 1,000 to send for repair.

Cartier Midsize W51011Q3 Tank Francaise Stainless Steel Watch