5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Practical... but don't be fooled!
This book is exceptional in its ability to communicate difficult concepts in a light and entertaining manner. It seems to me that those who gave this book low ratings seem to think that the book should have magically imparted its knowledge upon them with no effort on their part.
Indeed, although Gonick presents the details via cartoons, that does not change the...
Published on August 3, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Introduction
This book is a good introductory level look at Statistics. The authors cover what the subject of Statistics is, the history of Statistics, some of the theories and terms, and also shows some applications of the subject.

The weakness of the book is that there are a lot of formulas given and not enough discussion of how those formulas are derived, so one would...
Published on May 2, 2004 by Dave_42

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Cartoon Guide Addict now..., March 4, 2001
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Statistics (Paperback)
Have you ever chuckled while reading your mathbook? Ever laughed out loud while crunching numbers? Don't worry--neither had I until I read this book. And any book that makes me smile when I'm doing math has got to be a winner.

Yes, Gonick has done it again. I bought the CG-genetics a while back, and loved it. So when I went hunting for a good 'refresher' stats book, I picked up this one.

I wasn't disappointed. Gonick (et al) has great talent for presenting information in a way that almost fools you into thinking you're not learning, but rather, having fun. And although this book wasn't as "easy" to get into as his Genetics book, I believe it's because I'm less familiar with this subject.

Careful though--as others have mentioned, you can't be fooled into thinking this book is THE way to learn statistics. You have to be pretty comfortable with algebra, and pretty determined to read through the book in order to take anything away from it. And don't try this book as a stand-alone or you'll end up with the same frustration you'd have with a college textbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best stats primer, February 3, 2002
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Statistics (Paperback)
This is one of the best texts for Probability and Statistics that I've ever read (and I've read more than my share). With a light tone and clever illustrations, Gonick & Smith cover about two semesters worth of material. They stop just after introducing regression analysis (which is a pity because I didn't really understand statistics until I learned and used regressions).
I wish I'd found this book back when I was still in school. I would have done much better in my statistics classes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for a refresher on Statistics, May 31, 1999
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Statistics (Paperback)
I graduated with an Engineering Degree having taken three statistics classes in College, getting solid B's in each. Yet after being out of school for a while and needing to brush up, I picked up this book and found it very good at reminding me of the major concepts. Excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Got Me Through College, June 24, 2003
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Statistics (Paperback)
I am math phobic and taking Statistics in college made me wonder if I was one of those people who "wasn't cut-out for college". But I got this book and it made statistics fun and a lot less intimidating. After college, an interviewer asked me about Bayes Theorum and I immediately pictured the illustration from the book! Recently, while studying for the GMAT, I recalled the fun lessons from the book - especially probability and nailed that section of the test.
This would be great for High School or college students or ANYONE who is intimidated by math or stats.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best intro to stats around, January 19, 2004
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Statistics (Paperback)
I read this book because I had to take a Linear Regression stats class, and I lacked the pre-requisite knowledge of basic statistics. After attempting to skim some of the 800 page intro books in the library, I decided to give this one a try.
It contains everything you need to know about introductory statistics. Some things are a little unclear, but this stems from the fact that the author's did not want to burden the reader with the derivations of the basic equations. So at the expense of some clarity, they cut out a lot of junk that you will never need, probably even if your major is statistics.
So even though you may need to supplement this book with a more detailed book, and even though the cartoons are far from funny, I give this book 5 stars because it is simply the best intro that you will find. You could easily get through an introductory college course with this book alone, and its a shame more courses don't try to do that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for me - probably not for everyone, March 26, 2009
A. Bracewell (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Statistics (Paperback)
I'm in love with this book and I feel like it was written with me in mind, so if your math background and goals are anything like mine, I can't recommend it enough.

So, here's my deal: I'm a med student and am about to start a bio statistics course. I wanted to brush up on stat ahead of time over spring break, but I knew I'd never bring myself to read a serious stat book on the beach (especially having ADD). I've never taken a stat course, but my math education got as far as calculus many years ago, and I teach SAT math so I'm not too rusty on algebra. I'm also a general-purpose science nerd and feel pretty comfortable with the fundamentals of probability.

Most of the chapters started out reviewing things I already knew - for example, one of the first chapters goes over the definitions of mean and median and how to calculate them - none of which was news to me. (Ironically, even though the author probably ought to include such basic concepts for the sake of completeness, anyone who doesn't already understand how to calculate an average is probably going to find this book too advanced). But the chapter then went on to explain how to calculate standard deviations and other more advanced concepts I'd long since forgotten at a pretty ideal level.

So, at my present math-nerd rank, some of the book was skimmable review, and most of it was exactly what I was hoping to learn presented in a way that was neither dumbed-down nor confusing.

I was afraid that the gimicky nature of a cartoon math text might go along with sloppy pedagogy, but it's exactly the opposite. I feel like a lot of thought was put into presenting the material in the most logical way possible. It's also ideal for visual learners like myself, since every concept is shown as a picture or graph, sometimes in multiple ways. And, of course, the cartoons make it fun to read. Don't expect the jokes to be hilarious, but they're cute enough to keep my attention, and that's HUGE.

Now, here's who I think shouldn't buy this book: I think if you're a serious math geek you're going to find this book too slow. (On the other hand, a serious math geek probably wouldn't buy a cartoon math book anyway...) While it might be useful to a geek who's just forgotten an equation or two, you'd have to wade through a lot of cutesy stuff to find a specific bit of info.

I also think you shouldn't buy this book if you're a total math-a-phobe. The book assumes a fair amount of math background, and uses scary greek letters. If you're up for a challenge, I think almost anyone can get some use from the book, but if your math skills are really lacking, you'll have to be brave when reading it. It's not going to hold your hand. This book plus a patient math-geek friend to fill in the gaps might get you through, though. I hate to discourage anyone from buying this book, since I think it does such a fantastic job - but you should have fair warning that it does go into moderately advanced concepts.

In short, this is a book for nerds who think math is kinda cool, are already comfortable with the basic concepts of probability, and are looking for a serious but fun crash-course in statistics. It's also ideal for visual learners and those who find it difficult to force themselves to read prose-heavy texts.

I personally feel like I'm going to rock my bio stat class thanks to this book, and I seriously enjoyed reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Students highly recommend this book!, August 27, 2001
Rob Bittick (Houston, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Statistics (Paperback)
As a professor who has taught both undergraduate and graduate level statistics classes, I have recommended this book to students as a supplement to the basic texts I use in class. Several students have told me that this book really helped them understand basic statistical concepts. Let's face it: statistics is a boring subject for most students. Humor can help them make the leap from fear to understanding. This book is a great help!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, Correct, and Fun, May 17, 1998
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Statistics (Paperback)
As a teacher of statistics at the college level, I've recommended Gonick and Smith to many students who were struggling with their traditional textbook. It presents an authoritative body of material in a clear and fun manner. It would be a good text for teaching a college statistics course, except that it lacks practice problem sets and examples on how to work problems. If you have an interest in understanding statistics but don't want to take a formal class, this is an excellent resource.

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to follow, March 8, 1999
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Statistics (Paperback)
Excellent idea but difficult to follow due to the presentation of material. I would not recommend this book for students who are having difficulty understanding basic statistics. Perhaps it would be useful to supplement learning for individuals who possess basic statistical knowledge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay but..., August 1, 2001
Bernice Bernardino (Makati City, -- Philippines) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Statistics (Paperback)
The book is funny and quite helpful - nice material for review purposes. BUT, its merely a supplement to formal statistics study. You must have some working knowledge of the basic concepts.
I recommend BUSINESS STATISTICS (By Ken Black). He explains the concepts quite extensively. This book coupled with the humor of the Cartoon Guide will make Statistics a little but more bearable (especially for non-math majors like me:)

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

The Cartoon Guide to Statistics
The Cartoon Guide to Statistics by Woollcott Smith (Paperback - 1993)
$17.99 $12.46