Cascade ActionPacs Dishwasher Detergent Fresh Scent 60 Count
Flavor: Fresh ScentSize: 60 CountChange
Price:$20.02 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

I'll be the first to tell you that I am the biggest skeptic when it comes to dishwasher detergents. The water in our home is so hard that practically nothing works. Our dishes always have caked on food, water spots, and leftover dishwasher detergent particles on them--gross! I always have to completely pre-scrub the dishes by hand which makes the dishwasher pretty much pointless to use. So when I read about the 24-hour challenge, I thought yeah right. I knew I was just setting myself up for disappointment.

Boy.. was I wrong.

Cascade Complete All-in-1 ActionPacs is the first product I have been truly amazed by in a long time. I baked the messiest casserole I could think of; one that always leaves stuck-on food. After we ate, I left it on the counter overnight. The next day I put it in the dishwasher with a Cascade Complete All-in-1 ActionPac (along with all of our other dishes; i.e. a regular load) and let that sucker run. When the dishwasher finished, I couldn't believe it. The dish was clean. And so were the rest of the dishes. It was a miracle! I am a firm believer in Cascade Complete and will never buy another dishwasher detergent ever again. Seriously.
VINE VOICEon September 1, 2011
I normally use the Electrasol Finish Powerball which were actually included as a sample with my Bosch Dishwasher. These Cascade detergent tabs were on sale so I figured I'd give them a try.

I've used three tablets thus far:
Cycle 1. Tablet didn't dissolve, so I had to re-run the cycle. All dishes clean since it had four hours of water run over them at this point.
Cycle 2. Not all dishes came clean
Cycle 3. Even dishes in the third cycle that were left from the second cycle didn't come entirely clean.

The not-so funny thing is that I had a friend recently post on Facebook about their detergent packets turning into a gooey mess and not dissolving through the cycle. Come to find out that she too was using these tablets. I think that the gel portion of the packets might be a bit too bulbous and causing the release door to not open on dishwashers.

The point of a dishwasher is to reduce water consumption and you're not supposed to pre-rinse all the food particles prior to loading. By doing so, you lose the water savings and might as well be handwashing. Further, it gives the detergents something to foam off of. We didn't change our habits when switching tablets, but the difference was immediately noticeable.
on January 3, 2012
I had been using Cascade powder for years. About 3 years ago, I bought a huge supply of the Cascade powder, and it has worked great all this time. I was happy, and my dishes were always clean and spotless, without even using any rinse aid.

About 3 months ago I finally ran out of the old Cascade, so I bought these. Wow, what a huge disappointment. My dishes and glasses now are completely spotted with white powdery residue. My plastic insulated glasses have developed a white film that won't even come off by hand-washing. I now have to hand-wash all of my glasses or I can't serve them to guests. Yes, it is that bad: my automatic dishwasher is perfectly useless.

I have since found out that the reason for the poor performance of this product is due to the recent (mid-2010) formula change which removed phosphates. I managed to get my hands on some pre-ban Cascade (with phosphate) and it was like a night-and-day difference: my glasses came out crystal clear with no spots whatsoever, just like before. You don't get much more of a smoking gun to find the culprit for something. I couldn't believe the difference until I saw it with my own eyes.

Go here to read about it: [...] Worse, it turns out that the ban has achieved basically nothing, since only 3% of phosphates entering the environment came from dishwashing detergent in the first place. Algae blooms are just as bad as ever, and now my dishes are disgusting too. Thanks a lot!

I'm now hoarding the old Cascade (with phosphates) whenever I find it. It's getting harder to find. Anyway, good luck in your quest to find clean dishes from the dishwasher. You'll need it with the way things are going.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 2, 2011
I use a GE dishwasher, and this was my first time using a detergent other than a liquid- or powder type.
In terms of pricing, it does seem to even out vs. using a liquid type, so it's really not as expensive if you catch this on S&S or w/ a coupon.

Now, I simply use this the same way I would use a liquid detergent; I put it in the detergent cup, lock it in, and voila!
Some dishwashers may have problems using a tablet type, perhaps b/c the cup may not open properly due to the tablet size, and in that case you may be better off using a powder or liquid.
The tablet itself cleans well, but when I fully load the dishwasher, one tablet is definitely not enough to get all the dishes clean.
Of course, this may vary depending on your dishwasher dize & load, but in my case if I fill it about 2/3, the tablets work very well & give a nice polish.
You could hypothetically use two tablets, but in that case the detergent cup won't close properly, and you're probably better off liquid in that case.

So all in all, a very decent detergent, but doesn't seem to clean as well when the dishwasher is completely full.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2012
I have used these Cascade packets (normally orange version) for years, and they're great.
I got this blue one and they don't work!! They don't dissolve in the dish washer and end up a goopy blob, not washing my dishes.
Went to return, and surprise, not eligible for return.
on November 20, 2012
This detergent was horrible! It left a chalky, white residue all over my dishes. My silverware and glassware look cloudy. I gave half of the container away...the person I gave them to had the same results. No thanks! Won't be buying this product again :(
on December 9, 2013
They are very convenient and work well, but leaves a taste of detergent on all plasticware that is washed with it. If I eat out of a plastic container that was previously washed with a Cascare Action Pac, I taste the detergent in every bite of my food. It is even worse if I reheat the food in the dish in the microwave.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 26, 2013
I purchased the 60 pac tub of this product. I didn't notice it was scented with "Gain". The perfume in Gain might be OK for fabric but it is absolutely the worst thing you can do for dishes. The perfume is so strong it lingers for days. Imagine drinking a fresh cup of coffee that smells like someone's strong perfume. I cannot imagine why Procter & Gamble thought adding a strong lingering scent was a good idea. I also wonder why that smell is so hard to get rid of. We are running our final rinse cycle in our Bosch dishwasher twice, and the kitchen still reeks of the smell of Gain perfume. We may be forced to throw out these Cascade pacs and look for an unscented product as perfumed dishwasher detergent is about the worse idea that I can imagine. Eating utensils are not supposed to smell like stale unpleasant perfume.

09/03/2013 Procter and Gamble sent me a coupon to replace the Gain scented packets. The Bosch dishwasher finally smells normal again. I find the plain packets with a little citrus works best for me.
on April 6, 2013
This product disappointed me. It left a powdery residue on all of the dishes and glassware. For reasons unknown, it did not affect the stainless steel flatware.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I really dislike doing dishes, so the less I have to deal with them, the better. I am terrible at pre-washing, and just want to put my dishes in the dishwasher and have them come out clean....the first time. The only thing more annoying than pre-washing the dishes, is putting them through the washer and having some of them not come out clean. I've found it pointless to buy cheaper brands of detergents, since they always leave some of my dishes dirty, and then I just have to run them through again with more soap. So it's not saving my any money when I use twice as much detergent every time. When I use these Cascade ActionPacs, the dishes don't require any major pre-washing, and the vast majority of the time they come out all clean. However there are some occasions where a dish or two needs a second run through the washer. When I use the Cascade Complete All-in-1 ActionPacs on my dishes, they all come out clean every single time, so I prefer using them over these basic Cascade ActionPacs, but will definitely use these when the All-in-1 pacs are not available. These work better than any of the other brands out there I have tried. It's just the All-in-1 version works a little bit better.

See 1 answered question