4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, depending on the need
I like:
- general design is clean. Good fit for non fancy business use or just for school.
- the internal mash pockets are pretty comfortable - easy access for your stuff
- internal iPad/tablet padded pocket can fit a MacBook air 13" snugly.
- external laptop compartment is interesting and easy to use
- the bag can easily fit 2 laptops
- the...
Published on May 10, 2012 by M. Morim

3.0 out of 5 stars Replaced a Belkin Slim
Published 4 months ago by CarbonNeu7ral

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, depending on the need, May 10, 2012
This review is from: Case Logic 15.6-Inch Laptop Backpack (Black) (MLBP-115BLK) (Personal Computers)
I like:
- the internal mash pockets are pretty comfortable - easy access for your stuff
- internal iPad/tablet padded pocket can fit a MacBook air 13" snugly.
- external laptop compartment is interesting and easy to use
- the bag can easily fit 2 laptops
- the zipper handles can support a lock
- the bag is comfortable
- the edges of the straps are folded in a way that don't let them dangle, looks less messy
- good size: not too big and bulky and not too small and slim.

I don't like:
- the bag somehow looks a bit simple or cheap, hard to explain why.
- there are no fast access pockets/compartments for stuff like: keys, phone, money, credit card. The external pocket seems to be a better fit for left handed: when I want to reach the pocket, I usually bring it to the front through my right shoulder (since I'm right handed), however the zipper for that external pocket is on the other side - making it hard to get thins out.

So if you are a business traveler - I wouldn't recommend this bag, but if you are looking for a day to day bag for work, or for school - it's a nice looking, nicely sized, bi-sexual backpack.

4.0 out of 5 stars A comfortable and slim backpack that would be ideal for the student (or teacher), May 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very nice-looking, slim and comfortable backpack. I like the sleek black streamlined design, that can pass for almost any use from casual to semi-professional. It works great for carrying my MacBook Pro, along with a few books and papers.

There's a padded laptop sleeve that keeps the laptop snug directly against the back. Then comes a larger compartment, that has room for things like books and various equipment, with two internal mesh pockets and a padded sleeve that fits an iPad nicely. Then there's a thinner compartment, with room for papers or a folder or a thin book, with pockets for things like pens and pencils, calculators, phones or mp3 players. Finally, there another outer pocket where you could keep a notebook or a dayplanner or the like.

This is not a bulky and roomy backpack designed to function as a mobile locker, with room for everything and then some. Rather, it's designed for the student or casual professional who likes to travel light with only a laptop and a few other essential items. It'd be ideal for the bicycle commuter, and it works great for someone like me, a teacher who needs to bring a computer back and forth from home to work, and almost always carries home and back just a book or two and a stack or two of papers to grade. It's well built, and nicely padded, without looking rugged. I like it quite a bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars great backpack, April 23, 2013
I received my backpack 2 days after I ordered, with prime membership...
I was between this one and the Microsoft Rainer, so I ordered both, but the material from Microsoft wasn't as resistant as this one.
I bought it because I was going in a tour to different schools and I needed something were I could fit all my belonging and it wouldn't make me tired when carrying it.
I was able to fit
camera
one notebook
1 folder
magic wand portable scanner
all the respective chargers (camera, phone, nook, scanner, laptop)
wallet
lunch
bottle of water
pen, pencil, whiteout, highlighter, tape, mini stapler, microsd adapter, keys, calculator.
and some extra space was stiil left
material is very resistant and extra comfortable.
the only problem was they only had it in black and gray, but other than that this backpack is amazing!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive quality-This is well worth the money, April 24, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a useful and utilitarian backpack. There is a compartment for the laptop at the rear of the bag. It is separate from the rest of the bag and will hold the laptop safely between the main backpack compartment and the user.

There is also a compartment for an IPad, Kindle, or similarly sized device.

Overall this backpack has four compartments. The laptop area, the pad area, the larger center area, then a smaller compartment that can be use phones, pens, or other small items.

The backpack is sturdy and well made. The material is strong enough that it can withstand quite a bit of weight without worries of loose stitching. In actuality, if used for a laptop, the backpack probably won't be weighted down with other items. However, there is room and capability to do so within reason.

My 15" laptop fit perfectly in the pocket, very safe and snug. My son has a larger laptop and we tried using the backpack with his as well. Of course, it was too bit to fit in the laptop compartment AND have it zipped. But it did fit snugly in the compartment and, in a pinch, it could be carried there. He was able to fit it into the main compartment of the backpack and there was plenty of room for it. He then placed his cords and accessories in the compartment that was made for the laptop without compromising the safety of his machine. This backpack has so much padding and is so sturdy that it would actually work for a slightly larger laptop. The effect wouldn't be as streamline but it is safer than carrying it in a traditional backpack or without any protection at all.

The fit is comfortable and, for being so padded, there isn't a noticeable weighted feeling when using the backpack.

I am so impressed with this backpack that I will be buying my son one for himself. Even at the list price, this is an excellent investment. I am so impressed with the quality of the material and the stitching that my frugal self would pay full price without blinking an eye.

This would be an excellent graduation gift for a high school student going off to college or for anyone of any age who needs to commute anywhere with a laptop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop bag for students, but big., April 13, 2014
Great backpack for carrying multiple items. Great for college students.

Pros:
The bag has multiple compartments enough to hold my 15.4 inch gaming laptop, Wacom tablet, charging cable, mouse pads, pens/notebooks, and all pc accessories. Has a comfortable mesh padding on the back of the bag. The straps has a Velcro strap that keeps it nicely rolled up rather then dangling like normal packs. The inner compartment for tablet is nice and soft, won't scratch the screen up.

Cons:
According to the images and information, the bag looks a lot smaller than the actual product. It's pretty bulky for smaller framed people. I am 5'2 and about 100 lbs. The backpack looks like a turtle shell on my back.

3.0 out of 5 stars Replaced a Belkin Slim, June 30, 2014
On paper, this backpack has great specs, and... truthfully, it's decent. Sadly, the material that was used is not as sturdy as the Belkin's. Less than a week of owning this backpack, the threading at the top of the straps, where they join, busted, exposing the foam material in the straps. I still use the thing, but am a bit upset about the craftsmanship. I will likely go back to the Belkin when this one is worse for wear.

I do like this backpack, overall. The laptop compartment is awesome, but I think a zippered compartment in the main compartment would be better, simply for the fact that it may be easily forgotten to zip all the compartments.

The only reason my Belkin Slim Backpack failed was because I crammed a 17" laptop in there for some time, which caused damage to the zipper, which later failed. So, THAT was my fault. The zippers on the Case Logic bag are much sturdier than the Belkin.

If there was a combination backpack that used the fabric of the Belkin and the zippers and design of the Case Logic, one would have the perfect bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best back pack I've ever had., August 4, 2013
I was seeking to replace an old Belkin backpack I had used for years that was beginning to fall apart. This backpack blows it out of the water. The zippers are very sturdy and they don't feel like they will jam or break, which were problems my old pack had. I carry a laptop, a tablet, power chargers, 2 thick notebooks, and a few pens and there are enough pockets that each has their own designated space. One feature I especially like is the padded sleeve for the laptop. It is on the inside of the straps which helps me feel more secure that it won't fall out if a zipper should slide open.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but for a single purpose, May 3, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this backpack to use on business trips, hoping that it would provide just the right mix of size and capacity. I find it to be very well constructed, somewhat limited in space, comfortable to wear, and with a lot of pockets, but not very useful as a general purpose backpack.

Design:
The backpack is all black, with sturdy seams and material. Directly behind the straps is the main area for a laptop, which zips all the way down one side and only across the top due to the location (actually under the main shoulder straps). Continuing back, one finds the largest compartment containing two zippered mesh areas and a padded slot that will accommodate a 10 inch tablet. Moving towards the back of the pack is a smaller compartment with a large open area along with a single zipper compartment and three pouch locations meant for cell phones (one with pen slots). At the very rear of the backpack is a very shallow area with a side zipper that is meant for boarding passes and other items that are not too thick. The straps have a velcro system that is designed to let you neatly contain any excess strap material when the straps are tightened. Other than a single piece of material on the straps that might be used to clip a cell phone, the exterior has no attachment points (such as would be used to hang something using a carabiner). Dimensions are 13.4 x 5.9 X 19.7 inches exterior and 15.2 x 1.7 x 10.5 inches interior.

What I like:

Because the pack is really only designed for the one use - laptop / tablet and accessories - it is very compact in depth and won't bulk up your back.

The construction is very good, as one would expect from Case Logic. Almost all the seams fold inward; that is to say there are few exposed threads, which bodes well for longevity.

Since the laptop is carried right next to the back, with the entire pack on one side and your body on the other, this pack provides good protection for the laptop.

Mesh is used both where the backpack touches the back, and under the straps. This is meant to improve airflow and make it less hot to carry. I'm not sure it helps much, but it is a nice touch.

All the compartments are near the top of the pack. This is an advantage when one is looking for an item, and it means that anything dropped into the main compartment won't fall out. However, it also means that one cannot unzip the pack wide open for easier packing.

The interior tablet compartment is well sized and has some padding. I think it will protect my tablet well.

The pack has a nice carrying handle on top for those times when you need to carry it, but don't want to put it on your back.

What I don't like:

The main compartment is meant for today's thinner laptops. The documentation says it will contain a Macbook Pro or up to 15.6" PC laptops. I put my old Dell 8200 into it and it barely fit. I think it will suffice if you have a laptop that is fairly new, but definitely won't work for a 17" model.

This is designed as a single use backpack. That means it is really not suitable for a student, for example, because none of the compartments expand very well. If one is looking for just a laptop pack, this is fine, but it could have been designed for multiple use. For example, there is ample room in the pack for more compartments (if the sides unzipped fully).

I like it when manufacturers try new things, but the "strap management system", which is a small piece of velcro that wraps around excess strap, is a bit overkill, simply because I often like to loosen the straps to put the pack on, and then tighten it up. With the pack on my back I'm hardly going to take the time to straighten up the excess straps!

Conclusion:
If you need a pack that is just for carrying your newer laptop, a tablet, and the accessories, this is the one to get. If you need to carry significantly more than this, another design may work better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, sophisticated style, but not for the heavy packer!, April 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This laptop backpack has quite a lot going for it, especially when it comes to the pockets and the streamline design of it. It's exceptionally slim for a backpack, much more so than its competitors, which is both a good and bad thing. Let me say it does look perfectly sophisticated, and I can see using this in a business situation where I only needed my laptop, Ipad, notebook, and writing tools. However, I wouldn't recommend this for college. I don't know about most people, but I walked a lot on campus, and ultimately had to carry at least two pretty thick books, and this backpack is not up to that particular task. I could see carrying one slim textbook, but that's about it. This is basically a straight up laptop backpack.

That being said...it's pretty darn nice. Completely black, slim design, no bulky compartments anywhere, and the zippers are even black and long/slim, which makes for a very stylish, but simple, backpack. It has four zippered openings. The first, and smallest is the very outer compartment that has a zipper sideways. This is perfect for keys, cell phone, gum wrappers, etc. The next compartment can house a smaller notebook, or book, and it has a zippered pouch at the top, plus three pockets, one with two pen holders. These are perfect for your MP3 player, calculator, cell phone, etc. The next to largest compartment has enough room to stick a regular sized notepad, book, etc. in it. It also comes with two mesh zippered compartments, one at the top of each side of the opening, and it has one large pocket that easily fits an Ipad with cover. Very nice touch. The last zippered area is where the laptop goes. Now this is the area that actually gave me pause. The zipper happens to be under the straps. This really makes it difficult for me to get my laptop in and out in a jiffy. Add into the picture that the zipper does not open all the way, but only partially down one side, and it just made it a little more complicated. I, personally, would have preferred the laptop zipper to not be underneath the straps, but it does give the backpack a better appearance as you don't honestly see the zipper from the front. So it gives the illusion that there are only two zippered compartments. (I say two as you don't really see the zipper for the smallest area in the very front of it).

There is also a mesh back to this, which helps vent air plus it adds a nice cushion for your laptop. As a side note the underside of the straps are also mesh. But I do have to say when I first put it on and toted it around; it was very tight on my shoulders. And I'm a very small person. I had to adjust the straps, but even then it still felt tighter than I would like. There isn't a ton of cushion, but it does provide the necessary support to where I feel safe carrying it around. I do recommend this for business use, and some campus life, but if you have to carry around a lot of supplies, then I wouldn't suggest it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slim but highly padded, March 10, 2014
For its slimness, it has more padding than I would have expected. The organization slots are padded. The exterior is padded. The laptop compartment is heavily padded without the bulk. There is an additional pad bar on the bottom interior and exterior of the laptop compartment. The tablet sleeve is made of some sort of soft material. It's not plush soft, however, so there is a chance of minor scratching if the tablet is caseless. The sleeve is padded as well.

Roomy: I was able to fit a huge Glasslock Tupperware in the organizational compartment.
A 24oz Contigo water bottle.
A folder.
Pens and pencils, etc.
Two notebook.
A soft cover textbook.
A padded, leather portfolio.
Keys.
iTouch and headphones(plus carrying case).
First aid pouch.
iPad and charger.
13" laptop + charger and mouse.
Umbrella.
With all this in the bag, it is pretty heavy, but compared to my old Jansport, it is more comfy to carry.
I travel light most of the time, though, so I can maintain the slim profile.

Beware of rough surfaces because you can scratch the nylon exterior and since the exterior is all black, scratches and dust may be visible.

Overall, I recommend the bag. It feel more than it is listed here and has a lot of space for things.

I chose this over equivalent bags from Targus, Incase, Belkins, and North Face (too pricey).

Case Logic 15.6-Inch Laptop Backpack (Black) (MLBP-115BLK)
$69.99 $50.29
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.