5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient well made Camera Bag
Customer Video Review     Length:: 4:37 Mins
Published 22 months ago by Becky in NOLA

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size and a fairly good product.
Prior to this bag arriving, I already owned the Lowepro 350 sling, so my review is done with that bag in mind.

Published 22 months ago by Sally

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient well made Camera Bag, November 4, 2012
This review is from: Case Logic CPL-107GY Camera Sling for DSLR, Gray (Electronics)
Length:: 4:37 Mins

The Case Logic Sling camera bag is a very convenient carry case for camera and tripod, plus a few extras. The adjustable storage for the camera is a really good idea, we needed to remove both to make our sony A77 fit, but for a smaller camera the velcro shelves can be left in to ensure the camera fits snugly and leave room for extra lenses. There is another large zipper compartment that can easily hold a smaller camera, or a video camera. A slim front space is good for wipes or maybe a driver's license. The camera zip storage area also has a dedicate area for extra memory cards.

The camera case fits comfortably over the shoulder with a wide strap to keep the bag from digging in. The straps are adjustable for larger or smaller frames.

There is a water proof hood that you can put over the case when it starts raining. The case is well padded to keep camera and accessories safe.

*edited, Jim was in no way confused about the bag and found it easy to use. We didn't rehearse and he was sometimes confused with what I wanted him to show, and he totally spaced out about where his shoulder was in the end, which is why we were laughing so hard. He was never "puppy dog" confused about the bag at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size and a fairly good product., November 12, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

My Lowepro bag is completely perfect except in one arena -- which is nothing to do with the bag but rather the one that I chose -- it is too big. I found that while it carried everything I wanted, including my laptop if desired, it was too big to wear to an event because it would be in the way as I tried to navigate a room.

The Case Logic bag is the perfect size and carries everything I need: 1 Canon 5D Mark II with extended battery grip, 1 70-200 2.8, 1 24-70 2.8, 1 580exII flash, 1 Quantum turbo battery pack, 1 Gary Fong light diffuser (secured on the outside with the side strap), 1 monopod and 1 cotton carrier hip holster (secured outside). I am also able to put in all required batteries and memory cards, etc. etc. From that perspective it is perfect.

Also from the sling functionality perspective: I can swing it from my back to the front and access my equipment perfectly. I love the additional sliding/adjustable front strap which accommodates both male and female users (something the Lowepro bag fails at).

For me there are two aspects of it that I don't like. One is a perceived potential flaw, and the other is just a feature I wish it had.

The potential flaw is the strength of the stitching. Having filled the bag with all my kit and zipped it up, wherever things were a bit tight I could start to see the stitching exposed; it was stretching in the same way you would see the seam stitching pull in cheap jeans if they were too tight. This "flexibility" may be intentional but it is not comforting to see. My life experience would lead me to assume that this is an indication of future weakness and failure in the design/materials used.

In contrast, my Lowepro has been to 7 countries around the Middle East, around Europe and all across the US, and the stitching has neither indicated weakness nor displayed weakness and it is still as strong as the day I got it 5 years ago.

The second element which falls into the "I really wish it had that" is an external cell phone pocket in the chest strap -- definitely not a deal breaker but it seems to be an ideal addition.

In closing I would say for light use this is a brilliant bag, and for a subset of my photographer friends I would recommend it without hesitation. For those more like me with my travel requirements and more heavy duty usage, I may display a hesitant recommendation.

Update: 11/21/2012 I have already seen the zipper do that weird thing that zippers do when they don't fully connect around a corner. One of the times was when there was a tight squeeze (not over the top - just a little tight) to get the bag closed, and another time when it wasn't a tight squeeze. My initial thoughts regarding the materials used and the construction standards used during manufacturing, sadly, appear to be true.

This was a 4 star and I just took it to a 3, but really it should probably go to a 2 star because of the zipper issue. Seriously - if I have a $2.5K lens in the bag and it falls out and gets smashed because there were a few pennies saved by going with a cheaper zipper, then that's simply not cool. The manufacturer's source of extra profits becomes the customer's source of extra cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Slim, clean design, yet lots of features and well thought-out., October 26, 2012
Length:: 8:23 Mins

Here's a video showing the sling case. (Sorry it's a bit long and may be boring) I added some pictures in the gallery as well.

At first I really wasn't sure about this sling and the price. However, after I put my camera and lenses in it, I fell in love with it!

I got the gray color and I like it, since it's more of a darker shade.

What I love:
- It's not bulky or dorky looking like other sling bags - takes up less space, yet it's packed with useful compartments and features.
- Strap/Side compartment allows you to easily take out your DSLR while cradling it in front of you; I can swap lenses without putting the bag down; I just swing it around in front of my stomach and take out the camera/swap lenses.

The proper way to wear this is the sling goes on your left shoulder (the AmazonBasics Sling Backpack that I also own actually goes on the right shoulder to swing across properly; naturally, I put my backpack on to my left shoulder first. By unclipping the small clip that goes underneath the left side of your armpit, you can then swing the backpack around (obviously make sure the bigger clip that goes on the right side of your body is clipped on the backpack or there won't be anything holding it for you) by bringing the entire bag underneath your right armpit across to the front; then you'll be able to cradle it in front of your stomach securely.

- Multiple handles (one on the top, side, and front) makes it easy to pick it up right away - really has the user in mind!
- Rain cover!
- One more large compartment; you could fit another DSLR body in there or small video camera/light.
- light tripod/monopod support on the side

In the video, I have a 55-250 lens on the left side, T3i with battery grip with 18-135mm attached in the middle, and a Sigma 10-20mm on the right side.

Case Logic makes cases for many cameras at an affordable price. I'm a definite fan of this one from them, so I feel it deserves a 5 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back from a pretty grueling trip, July 6, 2013
Got this from Amazon just before a two week trip first to the Barcelona area then a cruise that took us to Mount Vesuvius/Pompeii, Downtown Rome via the train, Pisa and a Tuscany vineyard, then walking around Palma on Majorca then back to Barcelona. I experienced no problems with the case at all, Zipping remains smooth, Camera access is good, the strap is comfortable and it holds the gear I use.

Here's what I use it for. My camera is a Sony A-37 with a Kit lens and a sigma 28-200. The other lens is kept in the main compartment which I skew to one side using the included Velcro dividers to allow for better fit for the camera. On the other (smaller)side I keep six P series filters for easy access. With either lens attached to the A-37 I can leave the Cokin filter holder on. With the 18-55 lens on I can leave the Cokin hood on in either the inner or outer position. I put it above the filters in the main compartment when the longer lens is attached. For those familiar with this hood you know its not that deep. The main compartment flap has a zippered compartment for small flat stuff like a lens wipe and screen covers. Sewn into the flap there are two SD card holders with Velcro and each holds two of the new BASIC packaging. It also holds a samsung tab 3 7.0 which I eye-fi my pics to but only with a folio cover if I remove the filters.

The Upper compartment I keep several more filters about another 6, two chargers and four batteries in the mesh pocket on the flap. The mesh is perfect for the batteries because they are easy to find. There's a little room left over but not enough for a flash or another lens. Absent the filters and chargers there would be enough room for any of the Sony flashes and a small primary lens.

The front of the case has a gusseted zippered pocket which I kept a spare filter holder (I thought perhaps I might break one because it goes face down in the case but this was unfounded.), dead batteries and yes, a few more filters. I also kept a dust blaster.

The side of the pack opposite the access flap has a hard strap and an adjustable buckled strap. I used this for the small alum tripod that I use. I would have preferred a pocket at the bottom such as on the lowepro but believe me this is the ONLY thing I would change.

We had just about perfect weather during the trip but we did get caught in a thunder storm in Rome on the way back to the train station. It's amazing how fast the street venders change from offering bottled water to umbrellas but we had the pack covered with the built in waterproof cover so no sale for the street vendors. It takes about 15 seconds to deploy and doesn't interfere the pack strap at all. I don't think that it says this anywhere in the literature but this cover is detachable via Velcro inside the slot where it stores. It's not necessary to detach it to use it.

This pack carried and protected my gear through some pretty tough conditions. Lot's of crowds, buses and trains during the trip. Was definitely up to the task.

One little note. On Carrer Princesa in Barcelona there is a little pastry shop. Let's just say you might want to carry the case in front of you. It's comfortable enough that you forget it's there. So please anyone in Barcelona patronize this shop. It's the one with the plexiglass shelving in the window. No one could have been nicer about the breakage. You won't be disappointed with the pastries either.

Update: After several more photo adventures the bag is still going strong.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for me, but maybe not everyone, October 31, 2013
This bag is awesome. I had absolutely no problems out of the package. Adjusting the straps was very easy and it was on and fitting perfectly in less than 5 minutes. The placement of the storage compartments are well configured as I can store everything I need for my camera. I pack along my full cleaning kit, extra batteries, battery charger, and even the cable for transferring pictures to my computer all in the smallest outside compartment.

On the inside main storage area there are two baffle dividers that are Velcro so you can adjust the space to fit pretty much any size camera. I think it's weird that other reviewers question the size of this for some cameras. Unless you are a professional with a massive telephoto lens, you can make it work by simply adjusting the panels. I store my Nikon DSLR with two separate lenses inside this area and I adjusted the panels so that it is nice and snug inside so they don't bang around against each other while walking or hiking.

I use the very top storage compartment for lunch items, and two 16.9 oz plastic water bottles. Everything fits!

The very best thing about this bag is that because it fits across my back, all I need to do is swing the bag around under my right arm and it rests horizontally across my stomach without taking it off. Just like a guitar strapped over your neck and shoulder. This puts the main compartment door directly on top and I can open it up and pull out the camera using the bag as a sort of table strapped around me. I made sure it was very secure and tight so that it won't slip causing me to drop my camera or lens while I use it to hold everything while I change out the lens. It also works great as a platform to rest my elbows on for stability while taking pictures. Oh, I would highly recommend if you use it like I do this way, that you purchase a nice wrist strap so that you don't have to fight with a long tangled neck strap when you just want to snap a quick picture right out of the bag. I now feel like a gunslinger in an old western throwing the bag around my side and pulling out the camera in a fluid maneuver.

Like I said, it is the perfect bag for me, and the only reason why I gave it 4 stars instead of five is the fact that it may not work for everyone. I am a man, so the strap going across my chest while the bag is on my back doesn't bother me a bit. However, for a woman who may have more real estate up front, it may be a bit cumbersome. So I guess you would have to determine if you were wearing something (that is meant to be snug) with a 2 inch strap that runs diagonally from your left shoulder to your lower right rib cage, whether this bag would work for you or not.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of three options by a casual photographer, June 23, 2013
L.A.B. (Rhode Island, USA) - See all my reviews
This review will include the Case Logic CPL-107GY, the Lowepro Passport Sling Camera Bag and the Lowepro Fastpack 100. In the end, I went with the Lowepro Fastpack 100 and returned the other 2. I am a casual photographer. Basically, a mom who likes to have my camera with me to shoot cute shots of my kids - or occassionally travel shots. I am not a professional photographer and do not carry a tripod.

The first bag I tried was the Lowepro Passport Sling. Two problems: first, my husband felt it looked too purse-like for him to enjoy carrying. Second, there was only one compartment (unless you count the outer pockets which are useless since there is no zipper nor velcro closure). I was looking for a second compartment to throw in a few things - wallet, sunglasses, perhaps an extra diaper.

I then tried the Case Logic CPK-107GY Sling. My main problem with it was the actual sling. The shape of the Lowepro sling was fine. However, the shape of the Case Logic CPL sling made me feel uncomfortable. It seemed to really separate my chest and accentuate it. Obviously not an issue if you are a man. It seemed sturdy - but a bit too sturdy to be across a woman's chest. Just my experience. Otherwise the bag seemed very well made and had great compartments.

I settled on the Lowepro Fastpack 100. It solved both of the above issues. Both husband and I are happy to carry it. Very easy to access the camera by just slipping one arm out of the backpack and sliding it around to the front of your body - without taking off the backpack. I am able to fit: Nikon D3200 with 18-55 attached, separate 55-300 lens, separate flash, SD card, USB cable and lens caps in the lower section. It is a tight fit and took some maneuvering, but I guess that means nothing is sliding around. In the top section, I put a few essentials. For example, if we are on a family outing, I throw in my wallet, keys, cell phone, sunglasses, a small snack for my children and leave the purse at home. Water bottle holder on the side fits a smaller water bottle. Cell phone holder in the strap is useless if you have a smart phone. The bag feels very sturdy and the padding seems adequate. Overall, both my husband and I are very happy with this purchase. If you are a serious photographer with lots of gear, this might not be the best option - but perfect for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT bag!, January 13, 2013
This bag is great! Fits my Rebel camera with 300mm lens (barely, but securely), AND the standard lens, and various close-up filters and travel battery charger in the main compartment, pockets for batteries and memory cards, and it would ALSO fit a flash attachment in the top compartment but we use that for sunglasses, sunscreen... the pull-out rain shell is a handy addition! It is a low profile bag without extra width or depth but still holding enough stuff. the single sling is comfortable and the added clip strap will hold it securely. Access is rapid for quick shots. Well done, case logic!

3.0 out of 5 stars Case Logic :Gray" bag, May 3, 2014
The gray bag is 8.1 x 7.9 x 13.2 inches. The bag is a little smaller than I expected as far as what I could put in it.
I put in the side opening a Canon 5d with a 24-105 lens which then leaves room for a small size lens,making it hard to zip.
The top front pouch i put my 150mm sideways leaving a little room on top of it. I need a top padding but din't come with one so borrowed from another bag. I had a little difficulty trying to figure out how to wear it over my shoulder. I would have liked a place for my phone. No instructions etc.
I haven't gone out with it yet, will update, only cons. Overall for the price it seems like a good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera Case, March 16, 2014
I needed a smaller camera case for my Nikon D200, lenses, flash and chargers. This bag has all of the space that I need and is definitely the right size for travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case for my T3i, February 1, 2014
I bought this case for my T3i, and being new to DSLRs I didn't want a huge bag or backpack and the size of the 107 is perfect. If you have a million lenses you want to carry around, it may be small. I have 2 lenses and could easily carry another in the camera compartment. The way the sling goes around is perfect as well. I also looked at Lowepro slings and while comparable, the slings were all situated so that you put it over your left side, which I didn't like. All in all very happy with this case.

Case Logic CPL-107GY Camera Sling for DSLR, Gray