4.0 out of 5 stars Good strong adequately padded bag
Published on January 20, 2012 by SAH

இ Fuzzy Wuzzy's Summary:
ѾѾѾ Somewhat recommended, with reservations and only lukewarm fuzzies.

Published on March 13, 2011 by ƒůŽźŸ...

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay basic camera holster, but there are better options in the same price range., March 13, 2011
This review is from: Case Logic DCB-306 SLR Camera Holster (Black) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
இ Fuzzy Wuzzy's Summary:
ѾѾѾ Somewhat recommended, with reservations and only lukewarm fuzzies.

I love using SLR camera holster bags like this for shorter day outings where I do not want to be weighed down more by the bulk of a larger shoulder camera bag, camera backpack, or camera sling bag. As long as you are not needing to carry multiple camera bodies or lenses, camera holsters are perfect for shoot-and-scoot situations like walking tours of a city, hiking in the woods or mountains, and social gatherings with family or friends.

This is a very basic camera holster in very crowded price range filled with better options. The primary reason that I rated this holster only 3 stars is that, in the $20-$30 price range, there are better offerings from Case Logic, Lowepro, and Tamrac, among others. This is a nicely made holster. But once you also consider the other holster options in this price range, this holster looks to be fairly "average". With internal dimensions of 5.7"x4.6"x6.25", I can snugly fit my Canon 7D and 17-55mm f/2.8 lens (without a battery grip, but with a tripod plate attached). So your non-full-frame SLR camera will likely fit inside this, unless you are using a battery grip or require it to hold a 70-200mm lens. There are two zippered pockets on each side of the holster, and another zippered pocket on the inside of the zippered lid. The padding around all sides of this holster is adequate and comparable to other camera holsters. The bottom of the holster is padded thicker than the sides, and that is a good thing since the bulk of the camera weight may be resting on it.

All zippers and stitching are high quality. But the top grab handle is only secured with one line of stitching on each side, and I think that the stitching of this top grab handle could become loose over time with repeated grabbing and lifting by that handle.

The holster comes with a very basic 1-inch wide unpadded shoulder strap. A simple unpadded shoulder strap like this is fine for carrying a compact SLR or point-and-shoot camera. But it becomes more uncomfortable on your shoulder when carrying around a larger, heavier SLR camera for extended periods. This lack of padding and rubbing of the strap can be especially apparent if you are just wearing a thin shirt, blouse, or t-shirt.

The shoulder strap uses plastic clips that secure to the holster's plastic D-rings. While I prefer metal D-rings instead of plastic D-rings for durability, I really dislike these kinds of plastic clips when used on a holster like this where you may be frequently clipping and unclipping the shoulder strap, depending upon whether you want to attach the holster to your belt or sling it around your shoulder. Over time, the plastic clip can fatigue and bend or break with repeated use by pressing down on the plastic. This will not be an issue if you always leave the shoulder strap attached to the holster, but it is something to consider.

Within this price range and staying with the Case Logic brand, I think that their Caselogic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster (Black) is a far better holster than this one. It has a larger internal dimensions of 6.3"x4.7"x6.9" than this holster, and includes a shoulder strap that is generously padded around your shoulder. But on that holster, even though I like its shoulder strap clips better than the totally plastic clips used on this holster, its shoulder strap clips onto fabric loops instead of metal or plastic D-rings. I prefer D-rings over a fabric loop for clipping a shoulder strap onto.

Within this price range and looking at other competing products, you should also consider the Lowepro "Toploader Zoom" line of holsters. I like their designs better than this holster because they offer more useful storage pockets, and their "AW" All-Weather models come with a rain cover that fully protects the holster in case it rains. You will get a temporary amount of rain protection using this Case Logic holster (e.g. for darting across parking lots during a heavy rain), but the water will soak through the zippers and seams. Some people do not think about how rainproof their camera case will be... until they get caught out in the open during a torrential downpour. To protect my investment in three camera bodies and seven lenses, I only buy camera holsters, backpacks, sling bags, and shoulder bags that offer full rain protection for my SLR cameras. If you carry your expensive SLR camera around as much as I do, then you will realize that you do not have to live in the Pacific Northwest to eventually get rained upon unexpectedly.

If you have a SLR camera that costs many hundreds of dollars or more, you may want to go beyond this price range for a better holster. In the $50-$100 price range, I am a big fan of the Think Tank "Digital Holster" and Lowepro "Toploader Pro" holsters. Both of these product lines come with top-notch design and build quality, flexible storage options, heavy-duty comfortably padded shoulder straps with metal snap clips that attach to metal D-rings, rain protection, and an expandable component-based approach that lets you attach various pouches and cases to the holster (for example, to attach a pouch containing your flash, other lens cases, or even attach a travel-sized tripod to the holster).

Case Logic makes a wide variety of great protective cases, and I have bought various Case Logic cases over the years, including their cassette tape carrying cases during the 1980s. But if you had to buy just one holster for your SLR camera, I do think that there are better options for about the same price as this one. An expensive SLR camera deserves a better holster or carrying case than a $100 point-and-shoot camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good strong adequately padded bag, January 20, 2012
My Nikon D3100 fits very well in this bag with room to spare in the main compartment. Extra room is a little too much though. Main compartment is bigger than the camera with the kit lens fitted. I use some air-bags to fill the gaps and they work excellent (amazon sends air-bags in the packing and they are STRONG). The two pockets on both sides are enough to keep the charger, data cable, extra bits like lens cover etc and still there is room to spare. Strap is large enough and the bag never shows a sign of being weak. It is a strong bag and should last long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits long range zoom perfectly with room to spare., June 10, 2013
I have a Fuji film HS50EXR, which has a 24mm to 1000mm zoom lens and this holster fits perfectly.
Pros: Highest quality
Has extra zippered pockets for extra lenses, cords, cleaning cloths etc.
Has shoulder strap, belt strap and handle so you can carry as you will
Has adequate cushioning to protect the camera
Cons: NONE

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SLR case when you want to travel light, April 2, 2013
TronixSage (Greater Chicago Area) - See all my reviews
Normally, I take my ThinkTank Urban Disguise 60 V2.0 when I go away on business because it can hold my SLR, a bunch of lenses, some paperwork and my laptop, but when I go away for pleasure I really don't need much more than my SLR with 17-50mm lens, spare battery, charger and a few SD cards.

This case securely fit my Sony A57 with Tamron SP 17-50mm lens, ThinkTank Camera Strap and 2 packets of silica desiccant in the main compartment. I was able to fit a cushy SanDisk SD card wallet (1.5" x 1.5") with 2 spare SD cards in their plastic case in the zippered pocket located inside the case on the flap. The one outside zippered compartment housed my spare battery and charger and the other was home to some Zeiss lens wipes and spare lens caps.

I believe this case will do a very good job protecting your gear from the occasional bumps of everyday life, but I am not sure it would keep anything from breaking if the case were to fall off your shoulder and land on concrete or other hard surface. There just isn't that much padding on the bottom.

Overall, this case is perfect when you don't want to lug all your gear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit perfectly!!!, May 18, 2013
I have a Nikon D3100 and fits my DSLR, the charger, among another things...Highly recomended!!!

I couldn't expect something better for the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy/Durable Case. Exactly what we needed for our DSLR Cameras, October 7, 2013
Really sturdy camera case, we are using this case for our Canon EOS 70D DSLR camera and it fits perfect. We also put the battery pack inside and it fits well too. There are two zipper pockets on each side with room for cables and instruction manual. Zippers are sturdy and the fabric is nice and protective.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect holster for the price, October 3, 2013
Trying to find the right holster for my camera and overwhelmed by the priciest ones, the experience with the Case Logic brand of good quality inclined me for this one. I don't regret my decision.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still not a small bag, but smaller than most, January 9, 2014
I got a new D3200 SLR and it came with a pretty big bag (enough room to store an extra lens & other accessories), but I was looking for something lighter and smaller to carry around with me hiking/snow shoeing/camping etc. This case fits my D3200 with either a 18-55mm or a 55-200mm lens. There are also little pockets that you could store an extra SD card and battery, which is nice. It's a good bag, I was just hoping it'd still be a little smaller (not that a smaller bag would actually fit the camera, so I think my hopes are a little unfair!). I would recommend this to someone looking to easily carry their SLR around without too many other accessories on them.

Feel free to leave questions and I will gladly answer them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits perfectly, April 18, 2013
We purchased this bag for our Nikon D5100, and it fits the camera and some accessories perfectly. We don't have extra lenses so we didn't need the bulk of a bigger bag, and so far we have been very happy with the purchase. Good quality, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Case for my Panasonic Lumix Camera, July 5, 2013
This couldn't be designed any better!! My Panasonic Lumix Camera fits perfectly, there's room for extra batteries, room for extra SD cards, room for extra lens caps, and nothing gets crushed! Wear it across your body, or thread your belt through the loop in the back. I've used it both ways!! Well made, high quality, protects the camera and is priced right!

Case Logic DCB-306 SLR Camera Holster (Black)
$34.99 $22.99