5.0 out of 5 stars Functional, Ergonomic, Stylish
Published on March 3, 2011 by Dr. Bojan Tunguz

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Bag Design, Shoddy Construction/Materials
Short Review - Great bag design, shoddy construction

Long Review - This bag is great for travelling. It has a main compartment to hold your slr with one lens attached (I have the 28-135mm), two smaller areas to hold two additional lens, a great place to hold your sunglasses/passport as well as a sleeve area to hold a Galaxy 10.1 tablet.

Overall,...
Published on November 10, 2011 by chucelot

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional, Ergonomic, Stylish, March 3, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I bought my first DSLR camera (Canon Rebel XSi) I naturally bought a carrying case for it - those things are not meant to be carried in your pocket. I was very happy with my first camera bag - it was big enough to hold my camera and a couple of other items, but it was still small enough to be unobtrusively carried around to almost any location. However, with time I started acquiring more and more accessories and lenses, and soon enough my little bag was bursting with all the stuff that I had jammed into it. I've been looking for a suitable upgrade for it for a while, and I find that Case Logic DCB-308 SLR Camera Sling perfectly fits my current needs. The sling is much larger than an over the shoulder bag, but not quite as big as a backpack. It is packed with features, some of which I'll outline below.

The sling-strap that will keep your sling on your back is very strong, sturdy, and comfortable. At first I was a bit concerned about having a single strap instead of the usual two on a backpack, but in terms of comfort and the sturdiness I didn't notice that any compromises had been made. The strap is really wide and nicely padded so the whole sling rests comfortably on your back. The strap makes it also possible to take your sling off more easily - you can accomplish this by just unbuckling the front of the strap. In addition, the strap setup allows you to bring your sling from your back to your front without taking it off just by swinging it around your upper body. The front position is actually incredibly convenient if you are changing your lenses on some outdoor location. I usually find myself fumbling with my lenses and looking for a place to put both the lens and the camera bag down while making the switch. This can be very inconvenient. Having the whole camera bag in front of you in a very sturdy position makes this whole procedure incredibly easy to pull off.

The main compartment can hold a DSL camera with an attached lens, plus two more lenses, a lens and a flash, or a similar configuration. The various subdivisions are adjustable and you can configure this compartment in a myriad of different ways. You can also use a compartment at the top of your sling to place another lens, but this is not particularly convenient. So if you need to take more than two additional lenses with you, or are using two DSL cameras for your fieldwork, this sling may turn out to be a bit cramped.

I wish that there were a compartment that could hold a small laptop or a netbook, as these could be useful when you are traveling. I was able to fit my Acer Aspire into the capacious front pocket, but it was a very snug fit and I don't think that it's a good idea to carry your computer in front of your backpack or a sling, even the one that is remarkably well padded.

The sling has two handles: one at the top and one on the side. This helps you can carry it in your hand in several different ways.

There are several smaller pockets that can be used for various camera or traveling accessories. There is a side pocket with a strap at the top, which is meant for a tripod. I have a not-too-large tripod and I would be hard pressed to fit it into this pocket. However, a monopod would almost certainly fit, as would a smaller tripod.

Inside of the top pocket there is a small "raincoat" for your sling. This could come in handy in a case when you get caught in a downpour, but I would not use it to plan a trip to a rainforest.

The overall make of this sling is great. It is built out of very sturdy and durable materials, and I suspect it will last me a really long time. Or at least until I acquire even more lenses and camera accessories than what I currently own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for shooting on the go, may be awkward for lefties. Customer Service ROCKS!, March 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Summary: Super functional camera bag for the mobile photographer. Outstanding ergonomics and very attractive. Even space for an oversized netbook! Straps hold the sling securely for running and jumping. Single strap is not as comfortable for very long hikes, however.

UPDATE: The seam where the strap meets the body of the sling has come open, to the point I can put my pinky through. This was after a week of light hiking. I've contacted Case Logic, which is owned by Thule, and will report back on the warranty experience. UPDATE: Case Logic gets 5 STARS - they replaced it quickly and conveniently at no cost to me. Upon inspection it's clear that they have upped the bar tacking on the inside of the pack in this area. My original pack had a date code of November '10 and this is December '10.

I'm accustomed to lugging tons of 35mm stuff, from extra film, lenses and filters to a Vivitar 285HV flash and a mini tripod / shoulder stock. I'm used to an over the shoulder camera bag to hold all my stuff, and this is the first camera bag I'd consider as a replacement.

Recent outing: Camera body with 18-55mm lens attached, 10-24mm lens, 85mm 1.4 lens, Vivitar 900 shoulder stock, mini tripod, Vivitar 285HV flash. 10.1" Netbook - room to spare.

I received this and the Case Logic DCB-309 SLR Camera Backpack (Black) for a side by side comparison. After a few outings I have the following observations

1) While the DCB309 backpack carries a TON more stuff than the sling (including a 15.6" laptop) the access to the compartments isn't as convenient if you are on location. You basically will need to take the backpack off. The sling, on the other hand, pivots around your torso and allows you to access the main compartment while still on your body. Ideal for shooting in a crowd or in awkward situations like in a subway car. There's an extra handle inconspicuously tucked on this side so you can quickly pull the sling into position. I do a lot of shooting on the run, and if you're in the woods or in a crowd, there's seldom a good place to swap lenses or futz with your flash, etc. This gives you in instant "tummy table" to work on.

2) One shoulder operation feels a little funny - it takes a while to get used to it as it definitely does not feel like a backpack with only one strap. With the second strap in place it's comfortable enough for longer hikes, though if you're really carrying a lot of weight, you'll want a backpack. We had a week long trip in the SF bay area including day hikes in the city and in Muir Woods. This pack was ideal for carrying a single SLR, two lenses, a flash, netbook, maps, etc. I keep the mini-tripod / shoulder stock in a separate pocket and am able to put a skilly botle of water in the tripod pocket, though it did fall out once. Not perfect but it works. I'd still like to see a better way to stow a water bottle since many people who will use this pack will likely be doing a hike of some sort.

3) Both the sling and backpack were very nicely padded. Not that I tried, but I'd think my gear would be fairly well protected from maybe a 3 foot drop onto a hard surface.

4) The interior compartment dividers are both very configurable, and also very secure once in place. This definitely adds to the security factor

5) The interior is a high contrast orange-red. Very nice since it provides a visual reminder to zip up

6) Both the sling and backpack are styled very nicely - my wife wants to use the sling as a purse / travel bag!

The strap and the back of the backpack is a ventilated mesh. Still winter over here so haven't been able to test it for real but will certainly be comfortable for the summer. - UPDATE - It breathes about as well as you would expect, decent but not as good as wearing nothing.

The one potential downside I see is that if you want to leave a super long lens on your SLR, the sling may not be convenient. For reference a 55-200mm on a Nikon D5000 is fine, but I don't think the 70-300 would fit.

I also have a larger netbook, which fits easily in the flat outside pocket of the sling. Very handy for downloading and viewing images in the field. The DCB-209 Backpack fits my wife's 15.6" laptop, but I don't see bringing that out on a hike.

I'm a righty but one thing I noticed is that the sling is designed to come around your torso from the right. This might be a little awkward for lefties but maybe not if you still pulll the camera out with your right hand (Most cameras have the grip on that side anyways)

This also comes with a rain cover - ideal for hiking. If there is one thing I would have added, it would be a way to carry water. For now I'm attaching a SIGG bottle to the tripod loop where it dangles and is raher annoying. I do have room inside but am of course leery of putting a container of water in with electronics!

Disclosure: I received this item through Amazon Vine. If you've found this review helpful or have questions, please let me know!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Bag Design, Shoddy Construction/Materials, November 10, 2011
chucelot (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
Short Review - Great bag design, shoddy construction

Overall, great design as I'm in love with it as I was able to pack all my travel needs into one area.

Now with reality of using this bag. To make it short, the construction of this bag is shoddy.

For bag #1, I went on a 2 week trip to Japan and on day 2, the main shoulder strap started to tear. It ripped about 3/4 of an inch and it was obviously due to weight. This bag may have all these great pockets and compartments, but it cannot support the weight if you fill the contents. For the remaining days overseas, I emptied out the bag to carry just the SLR (Rebel T3i), 3 batteries, and my passport. The bag did not rip any further but my disappointment with this bag did not end here.

After returning to NY, I called Amazon and they were kind enough to send a replacement bag with 1 day delivery. Great!, I thought. I received the bag yesterday and brought it out with an SLR + 28-135mm, 3 batteries. No issues until I returned home.

As I was opening the main SLR compartment, to my surprise and disgust, the shoelace material that surrounds he main SLR compartment, rips. I spent 15 minutes trying to get the shoelace material reattached to no avail.

I had enough with this bag, it's way too much stress over a bag and I'm just grateful Amazon's customer service is exceptional and allowed me to return this item.

Once again, I reiterate, the design of the bag is well thought out and I absolutely loved it. It is very functional for your SLR and travelling needs; however, the shoddy manufacturing of this bag really disappointed me.

Thank you Amazon, Thank you Case-Logic Design Team, Shame on the manufacturing team.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bag - very well designed, March 3, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is THE bag if you have an SLR. I really like this. The main compartment can be accessed from the top and through the side. There are velcro dividers that can be infinitely adjusted to set it up however you like. There are also a few small pockets on the outside of the bag. The shoulder strap feels great and has a buckle if you don't want to put it over your head - or want to attach it to something (like a low tree branch). There is also a cross strap to make it even more secure, but the extra strap can be easily folded up with a velcro tab to keep it out of the way.

The bag is very well padded and has grab handles on the top and side. It even has a rain hood that rolls up nicely inside when not needed.

The best part is that it doesn't really look like a camera bag - so you can feel free to carry it with you without drawing too much attention to the thousands of dollars of gear you might be lugging around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, April 14, 2011
Fritosgirl (Here, There, and Everywhere...) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Length:: 1:50 Mins

I love this camera bag! It's far less bulky than the original Canon bag we received with the camera and holds the same amount of stuff!

As far as positives go, this has many. It's soft, yet protective. It makes for easy access to all the compartments in the bag, including the most important one-- the one that holds the camera! There is no need to put your camera bag down at all due to the ability to 'twist' this bag to your side. I love the sleek look and the overwhelming amount of pockets this bag has.

My only real gripe about this product is the directions. The camera bag has two different straps and the directions don't make much sense when it comes to how to wear this bag. We have decided the easiest way is to slip one arm through and latch the clip at the waist. Another school of thought is that you are supposed to stick your head and arm through, then latch at the waist, but that doesn't seem to work really well. Clearer instructions would have been nice!

Check out my video review for a clearer idea of what this bag has to offer! Be kind, I'm just getting the hang of these video reviews! Note: Video slightly edited to cut some time and to appease those who keep knocking me for wearing it wrong (said in jest)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Design - My bag is falling apart at months age., replacemnet bag has no problems!, July 7, 2011
This review is from: Case Logic DCB-308 SLR Camera Sling (Black) (Electronics)
The design of the bag is great. I especially like how you can rotate the bag around your shoulder and easily get your DSLR camera out. The bag looks like a regular sling bag and does not scream "nice camera inside."

The quality of my bag has been very disappointing. Within two months of ownership the bag is falling apart. A zipper pull has broken and shoulder strap is coming loose from the bag. I have never seen a bag fall apart as fast as this one. If you think I am just tough on my things, consider this,I have a 25 year old Jansport duffle bag I use every few months. I also have a black nylon briefcase that is over 5 years old and I use it most days.

I don't have a lot of experience with Case Logic, so I don't know if I am just unlucky or if others have had problems.

Update: 9/8/2011 Customer Service has been wonderful and has exchanged bag, with no hassles. The new bag has had no issues. Apparently I just got the one odd bag. Customer service has been great, the promptly sent me out a replacement with a shipping label to return my old bag. Good bag, great service!

4.0 out of 5 stars More spacious, more awkward than SLRC-205, August 18, 2011
D. Santos (Napa Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Case Logic DCB-308 SLR Camera Sling (Black) (Electronics)
I purchased this bag as an upgrade to my Case Logic SLRC-205 SLR Camera Sling (Black). It's more spacious than the SLRC-205, but still smaller than my Lowepro 35091 Primus AW Premium Backpack (Black).

Pros:
1. I can fit my DSLR with battery grip attached. This was a big point for me, the SLRC-205 wouldn't fit my camera at all, and the Primus would only fit it if I opened the large pocket, which rendered the quick access side pocket useless. I wanted a sling bag that didn't need to be taken off and could also fit a DSLR with grip attached; this bag satisfied all of those requirements.
2. The bag is more spacious overall: in the main pocket, I can fit the camera with grip, alternate battery tray, external flash, three lenses (two primes and a telephoto, one on the camera), two battery chargers, memory cards, cleaning cloths, and spare batteries. In the smaller upper pocket, I can fit a bulb blower, collapsible diffuser, cables, card readers, and random doodads. In the front pocket, filters and many different low profile items. A 10" tablet like an iPad 2 could definitely fit in here, along with the cables and adapters needed to edit/display your photos. The low profile pocket on the front is great also good for thin items like SD cards and filters. The tripod/monopod holder pocket is decent, I use it to hold remote shutters and cables.
3. Not too much larger than the SLRC-205. The problem I had with the Primus is that it was so large and bulky that I rarely wanted to take it anywhere. This bag is only slightly larger than the SLRC-205, so it's still definitely portable, and still good for taking onto a plane as a carry-on.
4. Decent cushioning. I didn't worry too much about anything in my SLRC-205 ever getting broken. I worry even less with the DCB-308, as it's more padded than the former.
5. Rain guard. Always nice to have, even if don't really need it.
6. Zippers are smooth. The problem with the 205 was that the camera pocket used zippers that had to turn almost a sharp 90 degrees. That made the zipper get stuck fairly often when closing it. On the 308, the openings are rounder, so there's less of a chance of the zippers getting caught.

Cons:
1. Not quite as low profile as the 205. Even if it's not too much larger, it still juts out from the back quite a bit (understandable, it holds more gear after all). But it's not as easy to sit in a chair with it on; I only needed to lean slightly with the 205, I need to lean forward much more with this one.
2. Body fit not quite as snug as the 205 or even the Primus. When packed to the brim (as I've done), the bag does not sit well on my back quite as nicely as the 205 did. I like to wear my bags and slings tight around my chest (to prevent them from jumping around on my bike), but even when tight, this one does not hug my back at all. It could be remedied by carrying less gear.
3. Tripod holder not as useful as 205 or Primus. Even though the 205 was built for packing light, I still managed to carry a 7lb tripod on the back of it (needless to say, the Primus could easily carry it). It wasn't flawless, but I could do it. I wouldn't even attempt to try and fit my tripod on the 308. Unlike my other two bags, the holder is on the side, so this create severe unbalance on an already asymmetrical bag.
4. No grip on the lower half for moving bag to front. I liked the grip that was located in that region on the 205 as I often used to swing the bag from back to front. I'd figure it would be even more relevant on the 308, being a bigger, heavier bag. But it's not there, and so swinging the bag forward is a little more awkward than before.
5. After a few months, the seam at the top of the strap is starting to fall apart. Hasn't unraveled completely even though it's been that way for a few months now. Most likely due to the weight it's holding.

Despite the cons, I could easily tell that the 308 was a much needed and much welcomed upgrade to my 205.

5.0 out of 5 stars We have a winner..., December 17, 2011
This review is from: Case Logic DCB-308 SLR Camera Sling (Black) (Electronics)
This was not the first camera bag I purchased. In fact, I started with another Case Logic sling by almost the same exact name: Case Logic SLRC-205 SLR Camera Sling (Black)
That was bad. If you want my full thoughts on that bag, you can read my review of it in full there, but in short, though I thought the build quality was EXCELLENT, the design turned out to be far less so. There was next to no usable storage in the bag, with the only available space being taken up by a tiny compartment for the camera itself, and one huge, wide open, oddly-shaped pocket that I would not want my stuff flopping around in--or worse yet--rubbing together in. I returned that bag to Amazon and sprang for the extra $6 to go with this model, the DCB-308. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. In fact, it boggles the mind that Case Logic makes both these bags. This one is so well thought out, you would honestly think it's from another company entirely. First, the size on this bag is certainly bigger than the other, but not a whole lot bigger. It's still significantly smaller than a regular backpack. The second thing I noticed about it is its ability to stand up on its own. The bottom of the bag is firm and flat, and the camera sits in the bottom of it, giving it a nice firm footing and allowing it to be stored in the most efficient space-saving way possible (the other bag just slumped into an unorganized pile when you set it down--not pretty). Inside the camera compartment, there is a cavernous space with plenty of room for my 7D (which is a big camera) and any relatively large lens attached. The compartment is divided with a system of semi-rigid dividers with velcro strips. These dividers also section off the bag from the other access areas and provide the bag's solid form. It doesn't feel like a plastic box covered in cloth, but it also doesn't just feel like a loose bag. It has a firm feel that inspires confidence that it will protect your gear and hold on to its good looks, but it also has some "give" to remind you that it is, in fact, a bag, and it won't hurt you to carry it around. In the very top of the bag, there is a zippered "door" to access what I call "the trunk." This compartment is roomy, deep, has a solid floor, and just BEGS you to put all your odds and ends in it: battery charger and spares, air puffer, cables, wireless...you name it. This compartment is just plain USEFUL. And it's situated perfectly. There's also a nice stiff handle right above the trunk to carry the bag when you're not going to sling it over your shoulder. Other pockets include a many-layered front flap big enough for an ipad (for size reference--I doubt I'll be carrying mine in there) with several pockets, flaps, zippered compartments, etc., and a small lens cap pocket (clearly designed just for that purpose). If you are a pro with many lenses you need to carry around everywhere, it still probably won't work for you and you will need to go with a full backpack or other bag. But if you're like me and want to be able to carry around a camera with one lens attached and 2-3 other lenses, and also have a convenient place to store all your camera accessories, I don't know if I could design a better bag. I'm that happy with it. --And as someone who has returned another bag in the search, you can trust I'm not one of those "loves whatever he has because he wants to prove to himself that it was a good decision" guys. This bag really is that good.
One last note regarding comfort: This one feels a littel firmer on the back, which isn't a bad thing. Also, the secondary strap on this one seems better thought out than the other. On the other bag, the secondary strap was a belt strap, and it was too short for many people. It also did little/nothing to ease the burden. On this bag, the secondary strap comes up under your left arm and clips to the main strap right below your collarbone. This does two things VERY well: it locks the bag on your body to the point where it almost feels like a safety harness. It's very secure, but still comfortable. Secondly--and this is kind of a big deal--it gently pulls the main strap away from your neck/collarbone and prevents rubbing. I have no doubt I'll use it for that feature alone. Sling bags by design use the area between your shoulder and your neck as a stop to keep them in place. Sometimes after a little wear, that can start to feel a little too much like you're wearing a bag around your neck. This bag offers some relief in that way, where the other never could.
If you happen to be on the fence at all between this bag and the SLRC-205, the choice is clear. Now for the embarrassing part: the biggest factor in choosing the other bag in the first place was looks. How silly is that? Well, as it turns out, pictures don't do this bag justice. It's actually very handsome in person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Camera Bag!, March 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This bag is a god sent!!! The Case Logic Camera Sling fits it all - I can easily fit my Canon 30D with 50mm prime lens, a 430EX flash, a 24-105mm lens, two separate lens filter kits, my battery charger, a spare battery, and still have room to fit an iPad, my wallet, cell phone, sunscreen, and keys with more room to spare. Just for chuckles, I was even able to fit my old Canon PowerShot S5IS in the bag in the top pocket, in addition to my 30D setup.

My husband and I took it with us while we were vacationing in SoCal with the kids - it's not overly huge (I'm 5' and small framed) and I could easily carry it without feeling like I was lugging around a huge mammoth backpack and it's lightweight, which is great considering all the equipment is heavy! It's also comfortable to use - after a week trip, neither one of us had any shoulder pain from carrying the bag for extended periods of time, and it even fit under our stroller (we have a Phil and Ted Sport). If we wanted to, there's even a place where we could attach our tripod to the bag - while we didn't carry our tripod in that pocket, we found that it was perfect to hide our cell phones in! An added bonus is that this bag comes with a rain cover - it came in handy when we went to my cousin's wedding and it started pouring when the festivities were over - we were able to cover the bag and didn't have to worry about it getting too wet on the walk back to the car (even with an umbrella, we got soaked kind of rain)

My one gripe is that the camera bag has to go over your left shoulder - I'm used to wearing slings on my right shoulder, but considering how useful this bag is, I'm willing to convert! Also, there's an added buckle you can fasten to make sure that the bag doesn't shift around while walking. I'm really happy with the Case Logic Camera Sling - this is something I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again! Highly HIGHLY recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a sling pack that will carry everything I need!, March 3, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For the last two years I have been using a Lowepro 100 series camera slingpack. It's a good pack but it just doesn't have much room. In addition, changing around the interior dividers to try and fit my camera (Rebel t2i and a long lens) has always been extremely awkward.

This pack is larger and it will fit both my Rebel XT with the 70-300mm lens, and my new Rebel t2i with a 18-200 lens at the same time! In addition, the other large pockets have plenty of room for the manual, battery charger, extra batteries, polarizing filter, etc. I can easily fit a 6 x 9 inch sketchbook in the large flat pocket on the exterior surface. And, for the times I don't want to have to carry a purse as well--I can fit my wallet in this as well!

I will miss the convenient memory card pocket on my Lowepro slingpack--but I think that is the only thing I will miss! The interior pocket of this pack is much easier to rearrange for the equipment I have.

As for the overall quality between the Case Logic and the Lowepro? They both are made extremely well.

Case Logic DCB-308 SLR Camera Sling (Black)
$99.99 $43.95