Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Case Logic DCB-308 SLR Camera Sling (Black)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Summary: Super functional camera bag for the mobile photographer. Outstanding ergonomics and very attractive. Even space for an oversized netbook! Straps hold the sling securely for running and jumping. Single strap is not as comfortable for very long hikes, however.

UPDATE: The seam where the strap meets the body of the sling has come open, to the point I can put my pinky through. This was after a week of light hiking. I've contacted Case Logic, which is owned by Thule, and will report back on the warranty experience. UPDATE: Case Logic gets 5 STARS - they replaced it quickly and conveniently at no cost to me. Upon inspection it's clear that they have upped the bar tacking on the inside of the pack in this area. My original pack had a date code of November '10 and this is December '10.

I'm accustomed to lugging tons of 35mm stuff, from extra film, lenses and filters to a Vivitar 285HV flash and a mini tripod / shoulder stock. I'm used to an over the shoulder camera bag to hold all my stuff, and this is the first camera bag I'd consider as a replacement.

Recent outing: Camera body with 18-55mm lens attached, 10-24mm lens, 85mm 1.4 lens, Vivitar 900 shoulder stock, mini tripod, Vivitar 285HV flash. 10.1" Netbook - room to spare.

I received this and the Case Logic DCB-309 SLR Camera Backpack (Black) for a side by side comparison. After a few outings I have the following observations

1) While the DCB309 backpack carries a TON more stuff than the sling (including a 15.6" laptop) the access to the compartments isn't as convenient if you are on location. You basically will need to take the backpack off. The sling, on the other hand, pivots around your torso and allows you to access the main compartment while still on your body. Ideal for shooting in a crowd or in awkward situations like in a subway car. There's an extra handle inconspicuously tucked on this side so you can quickly pull the sling into position. I do a lot of shooting on the run, and if you're in the woods or in a crowd, there's seldom a good place to swap lenses or futz with your flash, etc. This gives you in instant "tummy table" to work on.

2) One shoulder operation feels a little funny - it takes a while to get used to it as it definitely does not feel like a backpack with only one strap. With the second strap in place it's comfortable enough for longer hikes, though if you're really carrying a lot of weight, you'll want a backpack. We had a week long trip in the SF bay area including day hikes in the city and in Muir Woods. This pack was ideal for carrying a single SLR, two lenses, a flash, netbook, maps, etc. I keep the mini-tripod / shoulder stock in a separate pocket and am able to put a skilly botle of water in the tripod pocket, though it did fall out once. Not perfect but it works. I'd still like to see a better way to stow a water bottle since many people who will use this pack will likely be doing a hike of some sort.

3) Both the sling and backpack were very nicely padded. Not that I tried, but I'd think my gear would be fairly well protected from maybe a 3 foot drop onto a hard surface.

4) The interior compartment dividers are both very configurable, and also very secure once in place. This definitely adds to the security factor

5) The interior is a high contrast orange-red. Very nice since it provides a visual reminder to zip up

6) Both the sling and backpack are styled very nicely - my wife wants to use the sling as a purse / travel bag!

The strap and the back of the backpack is a ventilated mesh. Still winter over here so haven't been able to test it for real but will certainly be comfortable for the summer. - UPDATE - It breathes about as well as you would expect, decent but not as good as wearing nothing.

The one potential downside I see is that if you want to leave a super long lens on your SLR, the sling may not be convenient. For reference a 55-200mm on a Nikon D5000 is fine, but I don't think the 70-300 would fit.

I also have a larger netbook, which fits easily in the flat outside pocket of the sling. Very handy for downloading and viewing images in the field. The DCB-209 Backpack fits my wife's 15.6" laptop, but I don't see bringing that out on a hike.

I'm a righty but one thing I noticed is that the sling is designed to come around your torso from the right. This might be a little awkward for lefties but maybe not if you still pulll the camera out with your right hand (Most cameras have the grip on that side anyways)

This also comes with a rain cover - ideal for hiking. If there is one thing I would have added, it would be a way to carry water. For now I'm attaching a SIGG bottle to the tripod loop where it dangles and is raher annoying. I do have room inside but am of course leery of putting a container of water in with electronics!

Disclosure: I received this item through Amazon Vine. If you've found this review helpful or have questions, please let me know!
77 comments|157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2011
Short Review - Great bag design, shoddy construction

Long Review - This bag is great for travelling. It has a main compartment to hold your slr with one lens attached (I have the 28-135mm), two smaller areas to hold two additional lens, a great place to hold your sunglasses/passport as well as a sleeve area to hold a Galaxy 10.1 tablet.

Overall, great design as I'm in love with it as I was able to pack all my travel needs into one area.

Now with reality of using this bag. To make it short, the construction of this bag is shoddy.

For bag #1, I went on a 2 week trip to Japan and on day 2, the main shoulder strap started to tear. It ripped about 3/4 of an inch and it was obviously due to weight. This bag may have all these great pockets and compartments, but it cannot support the weight if you fill the contents. For the remaining days overseas, I emptied out the bag to carry just the SLR (Rebel T3i), 3 batteries, and my passport. The bag did not rip any further but my disappointment with this bag did not end here.

After returning to NY, I called Amazon and they were kind enough to send a replacement bag with 1 day delivery. Great!, I thought. I received the bag yesterday and brought it out with an SLR + 28-135mm, 3 batteries. No issues until I returned home.

As I was opening the main SLR compartment, to my surprise and disgust, the shoelace material that surrounds he main SLR compartment, rips. I spent 15 minutes trying to get the shoelace material reattached to no avail.

I had enough with this bag, it's way too much stress over a bag and I'm just grateful Amazon's customer service is exceptional and allowed me to return this item.

Once again, I reiterate, the design of the bag is well thought out and I absolutely loved it. It is very functional for your SLR and travelling needs; however, the shoddy manufacturing of this bag really disappointed me.

Thank you Amazon, Thank you Case-Logic Design Team, Shame on the manufacturing team.
55 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2011
The design of the bag is great. I especially like how you can rotate the bag around your shoulder and easily get your DSLR camera out. The bag looks like a regular sling bag and does not scream "nice camera inside."

The quality of my bag has been very disappointing. Within two months of ownership the bag is falling apart. A zipper pull has broken and shoulder strap is coming loose from the bag. I have never seen a bag fall apart as fast as this one. If you think I am just tough on my things, consider this,I have a 25 year old Jansport duffle bag I use every few months. I also have a black nylon briefcase that is over 5 years old and I use it most days.

I don't have a lot of experience with Case Logic, so I don't know if I am just unlucky or if others have had problems.

Update: 9/8/2011 Customer Service has been wonderful and has exchanged bag, with no hassles. The new bag has had no issues. Apparently I just got the one odd bag. Customer service has been great, the promptly sent me out a replacement with a shipping label to return my old bag. Good bag, great service!

Update Aug. 2015.
I love the functionality of this bag. It is relatively easy to remove camera with one hand, without taking bag off. (Rotate sling on body and unzip side compartment.) I have had to re-enforce the stitching twice where the sling strap meets the top of the pack. I also had to re-sew part of the equipment loop on the side, in spite of rarely using it. I love design, just wish it was built more ruggedly.
My bag currently holds a Nikon D7000 with 28-200mm zoom in the camera compartment.
I carry a Nikon SB-700 flash kit, a wind breaker, charger with cord in the top compartment with room to spare.
In the compartments on the back I carry a circular polarizer filter, extra battery, extra memory cards, lens cleaning kit, pen, etc.
Bag is my favorite design by far,
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is THE bag if you have an SLR. I really like this. The main compartment can be accessed from the top and through the side. There are velcro dividers that can be infinitely adjusted to set it up however you like. There are also a few small pockets on the outside of the bag. The shoulder strap feels great and has a buckle if you don't want to put it over your head - or want to attach it to something (like a low tree branch). There is also a cross strap to make it even more secure, but the extra strap can be easily folded up with a velcro tab to keep it out of the way.

The bag is very well padded and has grab handles on the top and side. It even has a rain hood that rolls up nicely inside when not needed.

The best part is that it doesn't really look like a camera bag - so you can feel free to carry it with you without drawing too much attention to the thousands of dollars of gear you might be lugging around.
VINE VOICEon April 14, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love this camera bag! It's far less bulky than the original Canon bag we received with the camera and holds the same amount of stuff!

As far as positives go, this has many. It's soft, yet protective. It makes for easy access to all the compartments in the bag, including the most important one-- the one that holds the camera! There is no need to put your camera bag down at all due to the ability to 'twist' this bag to your side. I love the sleek look and the overwhelming amount of pockets this bag has.

My only real gripe about this product is the directions. The camera bag has two different straps and the directions don't make much sense when it comes to how to wear this bag. We have decided the easiest way is to slip one arm through and latch the clip at the waist. Another school of thought is that you are supposed to stick your head and arm through, then latch at the waist, but that doesn't seem to work really well. Clearer instructions would have been nice!

Check out my video review for a clearer idea of what this bag has to offer! Be kind, I'm just getting the hang of these video reviews! Note: Video slightly edited to cut some time and to appease those who keep knocking me for wearing it wrong (said in jest)!
99 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This bag is a god sent!!! The Case Logic Camera Sling fits it all - I can easily fit my Canon 30D with 50mm prime lens, a 430EX flash, a 24-105mm lens, two separate lens filter kits, my battery charger, a spare battery, and still have room to fit an iPad, my wallet, cell phone, sunscreen, and keys with more room to spare. Just for chuckles, I was even able to fit my old Canon PowerShot S5IS in the bag in the top pocket, in addition to my 30D setup.

My husband and I took it with us while we were vacationing in SoCal with the kids - it's not overly huge (I'm 5' and small framed) and I could easily carry it without feeling like I was lugging around a huge mammoth backpack and it's lightweight, which is great considering all the equipment is heavy! It's also comfortable to use - after a week trip, neither one of us had any shoulder pain from carrying the bag for extended periods of time, and it even fit under our stroller (we have a Phil and Ted Sport). If we wanted to, there's even a place where we could attach our tripod to the bag - while we didn't carry our tripod in that pocket, we found that it was perfect to hide our cell phones in! An added bonus is that this bag comes with a rain cover - it came in handy when we went to my cousin's wedding and it started pouring when the festivities were over - we were able to cover the bag and didn't have to worry about it getting too wet on the walk back to the car (even with an umbrella, we got soaked kind of rain)

My one gripe is that the camera bag has to go over your left shoulder - I'm used to wearing slings on my right shoulder, but considering how useful this bag is, I'm willing to convert! Also, there's an added buckle you can fasten to make sure that the bag doesn't shift around while walking. I'm really happy with the Case Logic Camera Sling - this is something I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again! Highly HIGHLY recommended!
review image review image review image
on August 18, 2011
I purchased this bag as an upgrade to my Case Logic SLRC-205 SLR Camera Sling (Black). It's more spacious than the SLRC-205, but still smaller than my Lowepro 35091 Primus AW Premium Backpack (Black).

Pros:
1. I can fit my DSLR with battery grip attached. This was a big point for me, the SLRC-205 wouldn't fit my camera at all, and the Primus would only fit it if I opened the large pocket, which rendered the quick access side pocket useless. I wanted a sling bag that didn't need to be taken off and could also fit a DSLR with grip attached; this bag satisfied all of those requirements.
2. The bag is more spacious overall: in the main pocket, I can fit the camera with grip, alternate battery tray, external flash, three lenses (two primes and a telephoto, one on the camera), two battery chargers, memory cards, cleaning cloths, and spare batteries. In the smaller upper pocket, I can fit a bulb blower, collapsible diffuser, cables, card readers, and random doodads. In the front pocket, filters and many different low profile items. A 10" tablet like an iPad 2 could definitely fit in here, along with the cables and adapters needed to edit/display your photos. The low profile pocket on the front is great also good for thin items like SD cards and filters. The tripod/monopod holder pocket is decent, I use it to hold remote shutters and cables.
3. Not too much larger than the SLRC-205. The problem I had with the Primus is that it was so large and bulky that I rarely wanted to take it anywhere. This bag is only slightly larger than the SLRC-205, so it's still definitely portable, and still good for taking onto a plane as a carry-on.
4. Decent cushioning. I didn't worry too much about anything in my SLRC-205 ever getting broken. I worry even less with the DCB-308, as it's more padded than the former.
5. Rain guard. Always nice to have, even if don't really need it.
6. Zippers are smooth. The problem with the 205 was that the camera pocket used zippers that had to turn almost a sharp 90 degrees. That made the zipper get stuck fairly often when closing it. On the 308, the openings are rounder, so there's less of a chance of the zippers getting caught.

Cons:
1. Not quite as low profile as the 205. Even if it's not too much larger, it still juts out from the back quite a bit (understandable, it holds more gear after all). But it's not as easy to sit in a chair with it on; I only needed to lean slightly with the 205, I need to lean forward much more with this one.
2. Body fit not quite as snug as the 205 or even the Primus. When packed to the brim (as I've done), the bag does not sit well on my back quite as nicely as the 205 did. I like to wear my bags and slings tight around my chest (to prevent them from jumping around on my bike), but even when tight, this one does not hug my back at all. It could be remedied by carrying less gear.
3. Tripod holder not as useful as 205 or Primus. Even though the 205 was built for packing light, I still managed to carry a 7lb tripod on the back of it (needless to say, the Primus could easily carry it). It wasn't flawless, but I could do it. I wouldn't even attempt to try and fit my tripod on the 308. Unlike my other two bags, the holder is on the side, so this create severe unbalance on an already asymmetrical bag.
4. No grip on the lower half for moving bag to front. I liked the grip that was located in that region on the 205 as I often used to swing the bag from back to front. I'd figure it would be even more relevant on the 308, being a bigger, heavier bag. But it's not there, and so swinging the bag forward is a little more awkward than before.
5. After a few months, the seam at the top of the strap is starting to fall apart. Hasn't unraveled completely even though it's been that way for a few months now. Most likely due to the weight it's holding.

Despite the cons, I could easily tell that the 308 was a much needed and much welcomed upgrade to my 205.
on December 17, 2011
This was not the first camera bag I purchased. In fact, I started with another Case Logic sling by almost the same exact name: Case Logic SLRC-205 SLR Camera Sling (Black)
That was bad. If you want my full thoughts on that bag, you can read my review of it in full there, but in short, though I thought the build quality was EXCELLENT, the design turned out to be far less so. There was next to no usable storage in the bag, with the only available space being taken up by a tiny compartment for the camera itself, and one huge, wide open, oddly-shaped pocket that I would not want my stuff flopping around in--or worse yet--rubbing together in. I returned that bag to Amazon and sprang for the extra $6 to go with this model, the DCB-308. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. In fact, it boggles the mind that Case Logic makes both these bags. This one is so well thought out, you would honestly think it's from another company entirely. First, the size on this bag is certainly bigger than the other, but not a whole lot bigger. It's still significantly smaller than a regular backpack. The second thing I noticed about it is its ability to stand up on its own. The bottom of the bag is firm and flat, and the camera sits in the bottom of it, giving it a nice firm footing and allowing it to be stored in the most efficient space-saving way possible (the other bag just slumped into an unorganized pile when you set it down--not pretty). Inside the camera compartment, there is a cavernous space with plenty of room for my 7D (which is a big camera) and any relatively large lens attached. The compartment is divided with a system of semi-rigid dividers with velcro strips. These dividers also section off the bag from the other access areas and provide the bag's solid form. It doesn't feel like a plastic box covered in cloth, but it also doesn't just feel like a loose bag. It has a firm feel that inspires confidence that it will protect your gear and hold on to its good looks, but it also has some "give" to remind you that it is, in fact, a bag, and it won't hurt you to carry it around. In the very top of the bag, there is a zippered "door" to access what I call "the trunk." This compartment is roomy, deep, has a solid floor, and just BEGS you to put all your odds and ends in it: battery charger and spares, air puffer, cables, wireless...you name it. This compartment is just plain USEFUL. And it's situated perfectly. There's also a nice stiff handle right above the trunk to carry the bag when you're not going to sling it over your shoulder. Other pockets include a many-layered front flap big enough for an ipad (for size reference--I doubt I'll be carrying mine in there) with several pockets, flaps, zippered compartments, etc., and a small lens cap pocket (clearly designed just for that purpose). If you are a pro with many lenses you need to carry around everywhere, it still probably won't work for you and you will need to go with a full backpack or other bag. But if you're like me and want to be able to carry around a camera with one lens attached and 2-3 other lenses, and also have a convenient place to store all your camera accessories, I don't know if I could design a better bag. I'm that happy with it. --And as someone who has returned another bag in the search, you can trust I'm not one of those "loves whatever he has because he wants to prove to himself that it was a good decision" guys. This bag really is that good.
One last note regarding comfort: This one feels a littel firmer on the back, which isn't a bad thing. Also, the secondary strap on this one seems better thought out than the other. On the other bag, the secondary strap was a belt strap, and it was too short for many people. It also did little/nothing to ease the burden. On this bag, the secondary strap comes up under your left arm and clips to the main strap right below your collarbone. This does two things VERY well: it locks the bag on your body to the point where it almost feels like a safety harness. It's very secure, but still comfortable. Secondly--and this is kind of a big deal--it gently pulls the main strap away from your neck/collarbone and prevents rubbing. I have no doubt I'll use it for that feature alone. Sling bags by design use the area between your shoulder and your neck as a stop to keep them in place. Sometimes after a little wear, that can start to feel a little too much like you're wearing a bag around your neck. This bag offers some relief in that way, where the other never could.
If you happen to be on the fence at all between this bag and the SLRC-205, the choice is clear. Now for the embarrassing part: the biggest factor in choosing the other bag in the first place was looks. How silly is that? Well, as it turns out, pictures don't do this bag justice. It's actually very handsome in person.
on April 9, 2013
This little bag is great!!!

I currently carry my Canon t4i with kit and zoom lens (55-250), attached battery grip, huge goitos bulb, Otpech utility sling, battery charger, and cables in the camera compartment. I still have enough room to add a nifty-fifty or the 40mm pancake whenever I get it. Removing the bulb will allow for a flash, and maybe another stubby lens.

The upper compartment (which was my main point of hesitation) is actually quite large and adjustable. you can move up or down into the camera bay. I found this rather interesting as I am able to expand the lower camera section about an inch or less depending on the configuration.

The front pocket is rather tight and flat, so don't plan in putting lost of things here....it does carry a tablet (Asus TF101) perfectly as well as a notebook, a pen, and cleaning pen as well.

Tripod, or more likely mono-pod configuration is ok at best. It maybe too cumbersome to carry anything given the size of the bag, but I'm chucking this to personal preference....I don't like to lug too many things.

Most importantly it's very easy to carry and non-intrusive. I also have a Vivitar DKS-20, which can fit a 15.4 laptop, and a few more gadgets comfortably, but it is a big bag....you can't always get away without hitting things or people as you try to squeeze into tight places with it...the DCB-308 is quite slim for the amount it can carry.

The only negative that I can raise is that the sling can only go over the left shoulder, which is the same shoulder I sling my Optech utility sling. I think it's a matter of getting used to it. My previous bag I could do either shoulder, I would use the bag on the right shoulder and the camera sling on the left, but again this is not a deal breaker.

I will be posting pictures of my configuration soon. Overall very satisfied with the purchase!

I would highly recommend this bag!!!!

05/09/13 UPDATE______________________________________________________________________________

I took the bag on my first trip since I got it and worked like a charm. I did find a flaw with the bag...the top compartment zipper opens from the "bottom" when you have the bag slung in front of you. Basically once you are wearing the bag on your back and you bring it forward to access the camera compartment (which should be facing up right now), the top compartment, which opens in a "c" form, opens from the bottoms side of the bag. This could be a problem if the top compartment is loaded. I was carrying ND filter kit in the mesh pocket on the top compartment, so I felt the need to be extra cautious when getting snacks out of the bag.

This alone is not enough to take a star down, but maybe enough to deduct 1/2.

I was able to carry everything that I needed and more form my trip in the Bahamas, and felt that the gear was well protected at all times while riding a scooter through the city.

7/10/13 UPDATE____________________________________________________________________________
I have to say that I really like the versatility of this bag. I use it several times a week, and still holding strong. I have to say that I am very impressed with the construction and weather proofing. We took our daughter to the zoo, and it rained 4 of the 5 hours we were there. I packed everything in the bag and put the weather cover on it, and during the 4 hour rain, the bag and all of it's contents remained dry.

Recently took it to Disney World for the weekend with 9 lbs worth of gear (Canon T4i, 50mm f1.4, 35mm f2.0, Rokinon 8mm f3.5, and some misc gear in the top compartment) and as a person with lower back issues, I can honestly say this bag did not hurt my shoulders nor back during the two days were there.

Overall you cannot get a better value than this bag!
review image review image review image
on May 31, 2011
We have many different bags we use to carry our Canon 40D - a large "media" backpack that carries ALL my gear (40D, lenses, video camera, laptop, etc); a small traditional square camera bag that fits the 40d and lenses only (not a good "hiking" or "walk around" case); and a "V"-shaped Lowepro chest-pack that carries the camera with lens affixed only.

This bag fits very nicely among all those bags - and it is far and away my favorite to carry when I hike or just go for a walk on the beach. I love the way it easily moves around from your back to your chest so you can quickly access your gear! No more having to remove the bag, and find a place to set it to get to your camera and gear. With this bag, you simply slide it from your back, under your arm, to your chest, then you can easily remove your camera, add or change a lens, and/or add or change a filter, all without having to put down the bag! It's absolutely fantastic!

It is well constructed and attractive, well padded, and comfortable for both my husband and me to carry. What more can I say? I really, really recommend this bag.