4.0 out of 5 stars Well designed, but is it durable enough?
The Case Logic DCB-309 SLR Camera Backpack is a well designed backpack that is classy looking and has lots of great features that you want in a camera backpack.

Published on May 2, 2011 by L. Kirk

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange feeling about this backpak
Pros:
- Stylish and lightweight
- Very organized, lots of pockets with zippers, all the stuff can be easily kept in order
- Hidden pocket for wallet is very useful for a traveler
- Rain protection cover

Cons:
Published on August 22, 2011 by Mark Twain

4.0 out of 5 stars Well designed, but is it durable enough?, May 2, 2011
This review is from: Case Logic DCB-309 SLR Camera Backpack -Black (Camera)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Pros: Lots of pockets. Not an overwhelming number of pockets, but enough, and where you want them to be. There are flat pockets on the front (and pockets within those), a couple on the sides, and a sleeve for 14-15" laptops (or smaller). There's also one on the rear that holds a rain cover for the pack. Nice inclusion.

Well designed main compartment. I was able to fit in, unbelievably, a mid-size SLR with 28-85mm zoom, huge 80-200mm zoom, 90mm macro lens, 50 mm normal lens, 12-24mm zoom, extra batteries, hard drive, case with memory cards, right angle viewfinder, small flash with extra batteries, hoods for all the lenses, and an extra camera binoc style harness. Now, it's a *tight* fit, but it all goes in there. There is lots of padding around the perimeter of the compartment and a plethora of detachable dividers. Everything seems protected from outside forces and internal ones.

Cinch straps keep the front-to-back sections taut. This keeps the bag from feeling like it's flopping from the weight of what's inside.

A sternum strap is most appreciated, as are well-padded shoulder straps, and separate tripod fixture.

Cons: No bottom protection. The DCB-309 is well suited as an urban camera backpack, but out on the trail, the ground is often wet. You could use the rain cover to sit it on, then it would get cruddy.

Strap to body joining seems marginal. With my backpack fully loaded, lifting the pack by a strap revealed major stress and strain on the seam between strap and body, with a visible separation. I can see this as an early point of failure.

Under light to moderate weight load and use, this backpack will suffice. It is well designed and of quality materials. Under heavy weight loading and rough use, I believe you will experience reduced life, as the pack does not appear to be designed for rough treatment or extreme loading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange feeling about this backpak, August 22, 2011
This review is from: Case Logic DCB-309 SLR Camera Backpack -Black (Camera)
Pros:
- Stylish and lightweight
- Hidden pocket for wallet is very useful for a traveler
- Rain protection cover

Cons:
- As it was mentioned before, shoulder straps do not have sufficient padding. After a few hours of walking with the backpack full of stuff, the inconvenience becomes evident. I'm comparing it with the comfort of my NorthFace backpack, which is a lot better in this sense.
- Rain protection cover sits well only if the backpack is not on your back, otherwise you need to adjust it frequently, since the construction of shoulder straps prevent the cover to stay on top of the notebook compartment. That's a serious flaw for the backpack.
- Hand strap is pretty useless once backpack is full. Lifting the backpack reveals the weakness of the whole construction.
- There is no hard bottom, so I decided to use extra divider to protect the bottom of my lens.

Bottom line:
- Suites for light DSLR camera, short trips and good weather.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, stylish pack for 6 lens/2 body system and laptop at half the price!, July 8, 2011
Denalijay (Beverly, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Case Logic DCB-309 SLR Camera Backpack -Black (Camera)
I strongly disagree with reviews that question the VALUE of this item - at around $60 this camera pack tops a competitve list including Lowepro, Kata, Tamrac, Mountainsmith, and Clik. Don't get me wrong - these other brands also offer superb, feature-packed products that are well worth the investment. For my needs (read on) this case offers solid protection, elegant (simple, uncluttered) styling, and all the capacity and features I need - it holds my photo system, a laptop, chargers, cables and other kit, tripod, water bottle, a stuffable windbreaker and a snack
- at $40 to $140 or more cheaper than the competition. And yes, it does come with a rain cover!!

What it holds:
1) In main padded compartment: Panasonic Lumix GH2 w/ 14-140 zoom, GF2 w/20 normal in leather case, eye level finder for GF2, 100-300 zoom, 7-14 zoom, 45 macro, 14 normal, 6 spare batteries, two plug-in battery chargers, Tamrac square filter pouch, Panasonic 360 flash, Minolta spotmeter, plus one small cell to spare for other kit or another small lens.

2) In padded computer sleeve next to back: 14" HP Pavillion dm4 with room to spare; slim A/C power adapter, extension cord.

3) In full length x width, padded back "organization" pocket: 2-3 guidebooks and printed matter in a mesh outer slot, wallet & keys in a zip pocket; fabric slots for 3 pens, a large digital phone (Droid Global), and a large PDA (Ipaq).

4) In way-back, padded, outside zip pocket: room for a netbook with charger, or iPad in case+, or large and medium textbooks, or (my favorite) a light stuffable jaket and snack.

5) On left side: Tripod strap with bottom pocket that zips shut when not needed - very low profile/clean design.

6) On right side: Mesh pocket which can hold quart waterbottle or umbrella.

7) In zipper backpad pocket: Storage for rain cover when not in use.

NOTE: This case may not offer the same capacity for your Nikon or Canon DSLR system - Micro 3/4 does have a size advantage - but for the price and feature combination, I would still look carefully at this case. The dividers are fully adjustable and I can fit more kit in the padded camera compartment than I would carry on most outdoor shoots.

NOTE 2: This pack is ideal for travel, around town, short hikes, and hands-free carrying. I use it on my bicycle around town and commuting. The straps and suspension are comfortable and fully adequate for these uses - but this suspension system (2 shoulder straps and a chest strap) is not as sophisticated as a a backcountry pack with a waist belt or an action sports pack for skiing, running,etc. If these are your intended uses, you will probably need to spend more money (LowePro Trekker 300 or 400) or slip this pack into a technical backpack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocks!, July 27, 2011
This review is from: Case Logic DCB-309 SLR Camera Backpack -Black (Camera)
Yes, you could put rocks in it too, but for my DSLR, couple of lens, filters, batts, mics, on cam light, flash, monopod, iPad/MacBook and more, it totally rocks. Tons of thought on how this thing will get used. More pockets than a pack deserves. Extremely well designed, right down to the elastic zipper pull pockets on the inside of the main compartment lid so your gear won't get scratched. Build quality (being made in China, had some doubts) was way better than expected. Only thing I can even remotely think of how to improve it would be some sort of keeper elastic for the chest strap when its not in use. And no, I don't work for the company, just very stoked over this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad backpack, but not the best value, March 4, 2011
This review is from: Case Logic DCB-309 SLR Camera Backpack -Black (Camera)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been on the bag hunt for my DSLR lately and when I saw this Case Logic pop up on the Vine list, I was excited to test it out. The short version is that this bag isn't bad but it's not great either. I've added several pictures of my gear layout, laptop, and mono/tripod support in the customer pics. Hopefully they'll help someone out.

The Good:
Relatively light when empty, easy to travel with.
Stiff body construction, but not overly rigid (will give a bit).
Fits most 15.6" laptops (fit my Latitude E6510 15.6" LED Notebook).
Room for small-to-mid-sized accessories - batteries, chargers, etc.
Decent monopod/tripod support.
Weather hood included (stows easily out of sight when not in use).
Rugged nylon reminiscent of all Case Logic products.

The Bad:
Laptop section made mostly for Macbooks. If you have a 15.6" laptop that's thicker than 1.3" it's going to be very snug. Sometimes you can fit in 17" laptops when the backpack says they're made for 15" laptops. This is not the case with this backpack. There was never a chance for my DELL Inspiron 1720 17" Widescreen Notebook to fit. As SMXSteve noted in his review, the padding is a bit sparse on the bottom - I didn't have a problem with the front and back though, it's plain foam (no rigid support) which was about 0.6" thick, pretty common in laptop bags.
No quick draw option as found in many DSLR backpacks.
No waist support - puts all weight on your shoulders (this may be an issue if you plan on hiking to your photography destination).
Large tripod support feels ungainly, my Gitzo GT2531 Series 2 6X Carbon Fiber 3-Section Tripod with G-Lock felt secure but "floppy" all at the same time.

Conclusion:
The DCB-309 sits in a very odd place for Case Logic in my opinion. There's really not a whole lot of features in this backpack which separates it from the well received Caselogic SLRC-206 SLR Camera and 15.4-Inch Laptop Backpack (Black). It really seems like you're paying an extra twelve dollars for the weather hood (as of this review, the DCB-309 was about a hundred dollars and the SLRC-206 was eighty-eight). Having said that, this isn't a bad backpack by any means if you're planning on packing light and you need your laptop at a quick shoot. The one flaw I would see with this backpack is the low amount of foam on the bottom of the laptop section but that's something that can be easily fixed on your own, but other than that there are no real red flags on this pack. It's simply a solidly built item.

If you're planning on anything longer than a thirty-minute walk, I'd suggest something with a little more weight support. If you're not planning on taking your laptop, getting a "lunch box" or sling style pack would cut down on quite a bit of weight. In the hundred-dollar realm of camera bags, there are quite a few other brands and bags to consider - and your choice of bag really comes down to personal preference.

For reference, I personally ended up with the Mountainsmith Borealis AT Recycled Camera Backpack and a National Geographic NG W5070 Walkabout Medium Rucksack Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME bag., July 6, 2013
This review is from: Case Logic DCB-309 SLR Camera Backpack -Black (Camera)
I love this bag for several reasons:

1. It fits a TON of stuff, way more than it appears to be able to fit.
2. While it fits a ton, you can still cram it under the seat on an airplane unless the plane has foot rests, but I've only been on one plane that had foot rests.
3. It doesn't scream "I have expensive camera gear in here!" Case Logic isn't a company that's known for camera bags, so I feel a little less likely to have it stolen.
4. Super cost effective compared to other bags.
5. I've had it for over a year now and it's still holding up fantastically!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!!, June 4, 2012
This review is from: Case Logic DCB-309 SLR Camera Backpack -Black (Camera)
I was looking a starter bag that would assist my new venture into the world of photography. I had a few different SLR bags and the more I add to my gear the more I find myself needing a bigger bag. I did tons of research and was surprised when I found and tested products like Lowepro and Tamrac, which in my opinion were awkwardly made and for the cost did not support what I was looking for. When I stumbled across this bag I loved the look of it and the reviews were great so for 50 buck I gave it a try. I was able to fit my Canon Rebel T3, canon 7d with attached 24-105mm L, a 50mm, 75-300mm lens, canon 430EX battery grip and scores more. Several pockets and storage compartments. I am very pleased with this purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good organization, horrible to wear on your back., December 11, 2013
This review is from: Case Logic DCB-309 SLR Camera Backpack -Black (Camera)
This backpack is bittersweet.

Its actually the coolest backpack in the world when you aren't wearing it. And its the worse backpack in the world when you wear it. So i figure 5 stars for half of its functionality and 1 star for the other half of its functionality. Therefore the three stars (i know, 2.5 stars would be more accurate).

The pros:
It looks nice, not in an expensive "steal me, whatever is in here is clearly very expensive" kind of way. In a "I like nice things, but whats in here isn't necessarily expensive or worth stealing". It sits right there at good quality, but not screaming that its valuable. I think thats a great place for a bag like this to be.

The pockets are incredible. You can store an entire portable studio in here. I mean it, tripod, flashes, 3-4 lenses, a full size body, etc. It will all fit and the dividers are very customizable and well padded. Aside from the bottom of the pack, I feel like whatever is in there will be safe. Speaking of which, there is no padding on the bottom. So the only thing standing between your gear and the ground is 1/16 of an inch of fabric. So store your lenses higher up in the bag.

The cons:
It is the most UNCOMFORTABLE bag I have ever worn. Now I am biased, my other two backpacks are from The North Face, so they are uber comfortable. But seriously, taking this backpack from the house out to the car makes my back hurt. The straps are super thin, especially considering the price of the pack. They are equivalent to one of those cheap jansport bags (only this bag is still much less comfortable overall).

I have been using it for two weeks, hoping to break it in. It hasn't helped at all! So for that reason, I decided to return it today. As amazing as the insides are, I simply can not wear it, so it defeats the purpose of having it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roomy yet compact, June 24, 2014
This review is from: Case Logic DCB-309 SLR Camera Backpack -Black (Camera)
This thing seems very durable. I'm a petite female and was worried that this bag would be too big for me to easily carry at weddings, not the case at all! This is the perfect size for me; it holds my d700, d5000, two flashes, 70-200mm, 28-75mm, 50mm, 135mm, memory cards, charger, 4 camera batteries, 3 sets of 4-AAs, 2 sets of 4-AAAs, emergency lip gloss & Shout wipes, lens pens, and more.

I love that the storage compartment is secured with both a zipper all around, and clips!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, September 3, 2012
This review is from: Case Logic DCB-309 SLR Camera Backpack -Black (Camera)
Compared this to the case logic Slrc-206 (not physically, but through reviews online). In the end this seemed more versatile, more adaptable, but perhaps of inferior quality. Overall the quality turned out to be quit good - no problems with the straps or handles even with a heavy load. There was some fraying of materials inside the main compartment due to the strength of the Velcro (could pose a problem since the Velcro on all of the various inserts might be pulled out many, many times). The bag got the job done very well, and all of the extra pockets/storage proved to be very valuable. Rain cover also came in handy when a surprise rain shower came out of nowhere.

Case Logic DCB-309 SLR Camera Backpack -Black