Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Package Quantity: 1Style Name: BlackChange

VINE VOICEon December 21, 2012
Package Quantity: 1Style Name: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I saw this and imagined that it would be a really good "run and gun" photographer's tool. You know, see something, shoot something: just swing the camera up to your eye and click, click, click. Cool - just like in the movie "Blow Up".

Well, I guess I'm too old a dog to learn new tricks because I realized that without my regular "over the shoulder / round the neck" strap, I had to always have the camera in my hand. When shooting, no problem. For example, I was at a local car show last weekend and learned that having the camera always in my hand was effectve and allowed me to quickly grab a shot that I might not have taken. But as soon as I ran into a friend and wanted to shake his hand, oops!! Is that a camera in your hand or are you just glad to see me???

If you use a camera bag, then this would be a good product for you. Put the camera in the bag when you are not shooting and reach in and grab the strap when you're ready to take pictures. If, however, you don't always use a camera bag then this strap may not be for you.

Positives - it is a well made product that installs easily (although they do not include installation instructions, the picture of it installed on the box is all anyone would need). It fits just fine on my camera and looks like it will be adjustable for yours. It's comfortable - the padding is more than adequate.

Negatives - Very few. As stated, if you are in a session where you are always shooting - e.g., a sporting event, wedding, church service, party - having the camera securely at hand is a good thing - emphasis on SECURELY. But as soon as you morph into non-photographer, what the heck do you do with your camera? If you were on vacation, for example, and after taking a few pictures of the local marketplace you wanted to buy a coffee, what do you do with the camera? You need a bag. Is that a step forward or a step sideways? Finally, you have to decide if this accessory is worth $25.

4 stars for me but could be a fit better for you.
22 comments33 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2013
I was looking for a wrist strap that I could use on my Olympus PEN E-PL3 micro 4/3 camera, as I love using one on my Canon 60D dSLR camera. I needed one that attached to the tripod mount and wasn't so wide (as is the one on my 60D) that it would interfere with the movement of the tilt LCD on the Olympus or with access to the battery/SD card compartment. The Case Logic DHS-101 is perfect with regards to those requirements. HOWEVER, unfortunately, because of the significantly smaller body compared to a larger dSLR it is not possible (for me) to comfortably have my hand in the strap and also access the shutter release button or other rear camera controls. So, though it would be handy for carrying the camera (I only use a wrist strap with my 60D!), I am not able to use it. Only because of this do I give it 4 stars, otherwise, it is a great wrist strap.

One possible negative no matter what camera you are using is the fact that the bottom connector screws into the tripod mount but doesn't, as my other strap does, have a redundant screw mount for mounting on a tripod. This means you have to remove the bottom connector when you want to attach your camera to a tripod. I do like, however, since the mount is a single bolt with strap permanently attached, that it takes up very little space on the camera bottom.
22 comments7 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 23, 2014
I carry my Canon 70D in a Timbuk2 Snoop bag and need to draw the camera quickly when needed. The DHS-101 wraps around the back of my hand and increases extra grip security on the draw and while shooting. It exhibits good fit and finish, with a Cordura-like nylon exterior, nylon air mesh pad backing, soft foam padding, clean stitching, and two plastic buckles. It's on the narrow side at 1.75" width at its widest point, half the size of the Canon E-1 hand strap and, thus, best suited to smaller DSLRs and ILC.

The DHS-101 is simple to install: thread through the camera's top strap loop and attach to the tripod socket via the included screw fastener. The straps are secured by doubling back through the buckles. You can also attach the bottom strap to a quick release plate with strap loop or battery grip with strap loop. I tossed the cheap screw fastener and threaded it through the strap loop on an Arca quick release plate, a SUNWAYFOTO PC-6D QR Plate for Canon EOS 6D Camera Arca Compatible. The benefit of a hand strap/QR combo is the strap doesn't interfere with tripod use, the Arca plate is ready to mount on a tripod (no unscrewing needed) and attachment is very secure.

Once installed on my 6D, I adjusted strap length right for the best fit. I like it slightly loose side so I can shift my hand to comfortably reach camera controls. I have average sized hands for an Asian male (small glove size) and was able to adjust the strap to allow access to controls while maintaining the security of the pad across the back of my hand.

DHS-101 is less expensive than many competing products because it includes a flimsy attachment screw rather than a real QR plate. Nevertheless, the strap pad itself is well made and a better choice than leather wet or dusty conditions as it can be washed. If you want a more secure attachment or use a tripod with Arca-Swiss quick release, there are dozens of plates on the market with hand strap loops, e.g., SUNWAYFOTO 45mm QR Plate DP-39 DP39 Arca Compatible Sunway. Once you add in the cost of an Arca plate, the DHS-101 costs about the same as completing products like the Herringbone Heritage Leather Camera Hand Grip Type 1.

All in all a good product that does what it was designed to do: provide a more secure grip. I recommend the use of an Arca plate to anchor the DHS-101 as the included screw fastener is an accident waiting to happen. Finally, although experienced DSLR shooters probably won't need instructions, Case Logic should include them for first time hand strap users.
on August 4, 2014
The nut that screws into the bottom of my camera (Nikon D5100) does not thread in very far and it ends up sticking out a little bit. I use this same hole for my tripod, so I know the camera is not at fault.

Still, I use the strap, even with that nut sticking out a bit.
on November 26, 2013
Screw didn't work the first time . It came undone and was stuck in the bottom of my camera. Returned it and got another one and it was the defective. Threads were bad. Don't buy
on November 26, 2013
This is a very cheap chinese made product, the screw on the bottom grip is not properly aligned and you have to screw it tight in order to fix it on the camera, that could damage the screw on your camera, I had to use pliers to loosen it again.
11 comment7 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2014
When I am backpacking, I keep my DSLR on my hip belt in a holster style case. I needed something that I could grip my camera securely and not deal with tucking in a neck strap.

This product seems to do the job and do it well. I shoot with a Sony A65 and this fits it perfectly. The thumb screw holds very well. The strap at the top is easy to attach and adjust. The pad is comfortable on your hand and seems very well made.

I can easily slip my hand through the strap and hold my camera. I can work all of the buttons and dials on the camera.

This is a very good grip strap at a fair price.
33 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2014
Product was working ok, but was hard to tighten to the bottom of my camera. Finally it snapped off. I thought they made higher quality products. Very disappointed in the short life of this strap.
on April 4, 2015
I'm a bit disappointed with this grip. I bought it because I'm a fan of case logic, and everything else I've ever bought from them has impressed.
This is a very good hand grip, but it just didn't work for me.
On the positive side, it's easy to adjust and put on, fairly comfortable and not bulky like a lot of others I've seen. In fact it's the lack of bulk that made me buy it.
However, the screw that connects to the camera, while easy to use, makes it so I can't use a tripod or a quick-release plate while this is still attached. And the top connection is the usual cumbersome to use.
Eventually I ended up just sucking it up and buying a 'peak design' hand grip. Now THAT is a good hand grip. I think all manufacturers can take a lesson or two from 'peak design'. And no they didn't pay me to write this, I'm just in love with the straps I bought from them.
But if 'peak design' didn't have such a wonderful hand grip I think this one would still be my next choice.
on June 26, 2015
Used this grip on a trip throughout Europe and it performed great. I carried around my Nikon DSLR + 1 attached lens in a sling type bag and just left this attached the whole time. It was much more convenient than a neck or crossbody strap, especially if we were walking over rough roads or hiking up to see the Parthenon (boy what a hill that was!). I just left the camera in the bag until I needed it, and then the grip made it easier to hold & frame shots without worrying about dropping the camera. It did take a couple minutes to adjust how I like (there are 2 adjustment points - 1 on either end of the grip) but once I figure it out it was great.

Overall, really like this grip & would purchase again.