5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my netbook
Published on June 30, 2010 by Morley Dotes

Published on June 7, 2010 by Brian Connors

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice enough bag, but overpriced given several serious design flaws, June 7, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Now the first thing I need to say is that at least as far as I'm concerned, the standard by which laptop bags should be judged is the Targus OCN1; it's a simple but flexible design that can manage anything from an 11in netbook all the way up to a widescreen 15in MacBook Pro. Although a little small for my taste, the Caselogic PNM-214 measures up to it for the most part; I've been carrying it around for a couple of weeks now. I like some of its design flourishes -- the top-access compartment, for example, is well-padded and split in two to hold cords and the like, and the front pocket is just big enough to comfortably handle standard optical media (I keep my system discs in there). A feature I especially like is the MOLLE-like web loop attachment points on the front and back of the bag; you can easily attach things like camera pouches, or even expand the bag by adding, say, a military surplus map pouch or the like. The styling appears geared towards high school and college students (I guess that's what "a hint of attitude" is supposed to mean in the ad copy), with the front panel being made out of a stiffer nylon than the rest of the bag's construction.

Except... it's got a few flaws. The first is a major facepalm decision -- the front compartment, the one you might put documents or extra cables in, is closed with a magnetic clasp, and a rather weak one at that. In an era where magnetic latches on laptops are somewhat common and almost all exchange media is optical or flash memory, this is not necessarily going to be an issue, but if you carry around a floppy or Zip drive or any other kind of magnetic media, this is a nonnegotiable dealbreaker. Another issue that's more an annoyance than anything else: the total, unfolded length shoulder strap is six inches to a foot too short; I'm 5'8", and I can just about stretch it out to a length that's comfortable for carrying cross-shoulder (for security reasons, as anyone carrying expensive gear through a crowded area should do), and someone significantly taller than me will find the bag crawling up their armpit even at maximum extension. Worse, unlike even Targus' cheapest bags, the shoulder strap is not removable -- the non-extending end is sewn directly into the bag's structure, meaning you're pretty much stuck with it.

Overall, this bag could have been a five-star product -- a longer, removable strap and a snap or velcro closure rather than the magnetic clasp would both have been trivial. It certainly isn't worth the MSRP, and I question whether it's even worth the discounted Amazon price. It's a damn shame -- it's otherwise a stylish, solid product.

UPDATE 12/10: Six months later and I'm still using the bag despite the fact that I stand behind what I said about its limitations. Judge that however you will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my netbook, June 30, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My Dell fits easily in this bag. It is light and nicely padded. I wouldn't let a car run over it, but it feels like the padding is thick enough to save you if you drop it from hip length, though I'm not going to try it ;-). It should certainly protect your netbook if it gets knocked around, especially in a subway, etc. I was very surprised with all of the pockets, especially the one on the flap, it's much larger than I expected and can hold quite a bit. You can easily store an iTouch, camera, batteries, memory cards, documents, and much more. In fact, since most airlines allow you one carry-on AND one personal bag, this can count as a personal bag....and, it is padded so nicely that you can fit it into a carry-on easily enough. The material feels very durable and almost rugged. It is relatively comfortable except the shoulder pad a pretty stiff, and the strap is a little short for me. Nothing terrible, and it would not stop me from buying it, but I wanted to point it out. I am not trying to nit pick, however, I think that it should be noted. I am very happy with it. The Lima Green accent colors are not as bad as I thought they would be and actually do not bother me too much....you get used to it. I probably owuld have preferred black or dark blue, but this is also another minor issue. There are no deal breakers for me here, it is everything I would expect for my netbook and I plan to put it through its paces, as I travel quite a bit, and will update if anything differs from this review. You should note that this is not a weekend bag that also fits a netbook/laptop, rather, it is a netbook bag that has enough room for a few other things. For me, it's perfect!

3.0 out of 5 stars Caselogic Messenger Bag Review - Meh, May 27, 2010
This review is from: Case Logic PNM-217 17-Inch Laptop Messenger Bag (Black) (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got my Caselogic Messenger bag in the mail from Amazon yesterday. Now, I haven't carried a ton of books, papers and laptop around in it for months on end yet, but once I got it, I'm not likely to. I've owned some Caselogic products in the past, mostly CD books and DVD binders. They've always been functional if not aesthetically pleasing. They've also held up over time. I have four big Caselogic books that house my software and DVDs and they have yet to fail me after 10 years of use.

When I saw the Caselogic Messenger bag, I figured it would be good for toting my 'stuff' back and forth to worth everyday. It looked great in the picture (currently on the right side of my screen), a good and functional piece of corporate accessory. All I need it to do is look good on my arm and carry all that 'stuff.'

Unfortunately, the bag itself seems a little flimsy. The material, which looks like either neoprene (the pockets are definitely neoprene) or some kind of heavy duty cloth or canvas. I'm not sure what most of the bag is made out of, but I don't think I can really bring it to work. There are some deep pockets in the bag and it will fit a 17" laptop, but I don't believe it will hold up to much abuse. Some of the stitches already looked a little loose and, wierdly, there is only one handle in the top of the bag. That last one is strange because there doesn't seem to be a way to keep the bag steady. Usually, there's two handles, stitched to either side of the bag. On this one, its one handle stitched to one side and that's it.

Don't get me wrong, its not awful. If you're a student or a light traveler (I'm neither) you would probably do fine with this at least for a while. Its now become a book bag for my son. But for the professional businessman, not so much. That's a shame. Now I know what their ad copy means by 'professionally oriented.' Professional probably won't be interested.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really well designed, inexpensive bag -for SMALLER laptops, June 13, 2010
Atomicwasteland (Rockville, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This bag is a beauty. The price is very reasonable and it is a good buy for smaller laptops.

Pro: The top center of the strap is padded, so it is comfortable.

Pro: The material is high quality and seems very durable.

Pro: It has a lot of pockets -1 zipper on the outside, big enough to hold some CDs in hard cases, 1 zipper on the inside(where the laptop goes), 2 zippers on the inside which could also hold cds in cases (but only soft paper cases this time), and another large zippered compartment -completely separate from the laptop compartment, but about as big.

Pro: the laptop can be removed without opening the rest of the bag. Its compartment is separate.

Pro: the laptop compartment is well padded.

Con: It doesn't have a latch to lock the secondary compartment closed -instead it just uses two magnets. These seem to work fine, but it is slightly strange.

Be aware. This is the ideal size for a netbook or a smallish laptop. I don't think anything longer than 14 inches would fit. If your computer meets this criteria this is a great buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only so-so impressed with this bag., May 27, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm only so-so impressed with this bag. I acquired it to replace another Case Logic bag that I have and was less than fully impressed with, and had high hopes for it. Unfortunately, though, there are several features the bag has which lower its impression for me.

Cons:
* I find there is too much superfluous padding in some places on the bag, which makes it more "puffy" than I would hope for in what I was hoping to be a sleek laptop bag.
* There is no latch on the front flap of the bag. As such, it flaps a little when you walk and when there is a gust of wind from the back. I'd prefer to have something to secure it.
* I don't like the neon green zipper casings and detail.
* I don't like the layout of the pockets and laptop holder. I also find them very thin - which is also a problem with the other Case Logic laptop bag that I own.
* The strap is a pain to adjust.
* Overall, it feels more on the small side than I'd prefer.
* Can't unhook the strap to change it into a briefcase-only style bag.
* Not professional looking enough to use as your laptop bag when meeting with clients (in my opinion).

Pros:
* Having the pouch on the outside of the front flap is great for easy access to small items. It's also a good size -- not too big or small.
* Seems really well padded. I listed this as a con previously, but that's my choice - some might want the additional fluff.
* Fits my laptops well.
* I like the quick-key holder on the inside pocket which allows the user to attach and detach their keys to other small items quickly. Nice addition.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst customer service ever by a manufacturer!, September 9, 2012
I want to be clear, the vendor that I purchased this hunk of junk from stood up for it and supplied a perfect replacement at no extra charge. As far as the Case Logic bag though I was severely disappointed. I researched for a long time to find what I thougt would be a good bag for my needs. This bag was it until I received it. It came in with a defective zipper and I tried twice to contact the manufacturer Case Logic, and they never even responded. This from a consumer standpoint really turned me off from even considering a Case Logic in the future. I will also never recommend their product to anyone. I will however say the Samsonite replacement that the vendor sent me was great and it worked really well on my trip. Quality was the factor and the zippers on the Case Logic were substandard, so be careful when considering their product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Strap ripped after only 3 months, October 24, 2011
I started using this bag in July to carry my laptop to and from work. Three months later and the strap ripped. I only carry the laptop and a few papers, I can't understand how a laptop bag could be so cheaply made. It's a good thing that it has good padding, otherwise, it would've damaged the computer. Very dissappointed.

I've contacted Case Logic, we'll see what happens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, especially for the price, December 13, 2010
This bag has it all! I love how slim a design it is. I hate to rummage for things and this bag has so many pockets that everything has its own home and I can find it easily. Of all the bags I looked at, this one had by far more pockets than any others. The pocket for the power brick is genius and keeps it neatly tucked away, other bags you have to put it in with everything else and it makes the bag more bulky but the brick is underneath and not in the way. It seems very well constructed, lays flat against your body while commuting and doesn't swing around on your back like others I have had. I am very happy with the bag and would recommend to anyone. If you are looking to use this for carrying school books and laptop it might be too small. I am a teacher and carry laptop, planner, and papers to grade so it is perfect for that.

1.0 out of 5 stars My Bag, March 29, 2011
I would definitely not buy this bag again. I have only had the bags for a few weeks and take good care of it, and the strap has broken off. My laptop was inside of it, but luckily the actual padding is good and let them laptop unharmed. However it is very bulky, but cannot carry many things inside. If you are a college student and need to carry anything besides your laptop and an mp3 I would not recommend this bag. I could have gotten a better deal, for something that would not break on me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very simple, practical and sturdy bag, July 17, 2012
I have a 15" laptop and this bag is perfect for it. While it technically might fit a 17" computer, doing so might be a bit awkward and impractical, especially if you have other items to pack in there such as power adapter, headset, phone, mouse, etc. But it is a great bag of high quality. Looks good too!

Case Logic PNM-217 17-Inch Laptop Messenger Bag (Black)
$49.99 $36.68