Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Color: RedChange

VINE VOICEon November 5, 2010
Color: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Overall, this is a quality case. Whether it fits your device well is entirely up to whether your device dimensions fit the dimensions of the case well. There is no foam padding inside, but it has a nice one inch wide elastic strap that runs the length that holds the device fairly well. But without foam, it will not have much shock resistance if you want to throw it around. But you do gain a slim case without a lot of foam padding. The shell is quite firm, not foam, and seems to protect very well. The top is reinforced and is stronger than the bottom half, so I would orient any LCD screens face up. Like any case, the weak point is if compressed in the center you can flex in if you squeeze it. But it seems significantly stronger than foam or some cheaper alternatives. It would have been nice if the bottom was reinforced as much as the top, but the bottom is still quite firm, just not as resistant to compression. I just wouldn't this at the bottom of a suitcase.

The outside dimensions are 6" wide, 4" long, 1.25 " thick, with rounded corners. Inside dimensions are 5.25" wide, 3.25" long, with rounded corners. My Western Digital My Passport Essential 500 GB Portable HD (measures 4.3" x 3.25" x 0.5") fit easily with room to spare width-wise and in thickness. The strap held it in place well thickness wise and fairly well length wise where there were gaps, but you could still shake it end to end if you tried. It was more than enough for tossing in my laptop bag and toting with me. Just for some versatility and other dimensions that might fit, my Magellan RoadMate 3065 4.7-Inch GPS (5.375" x 3.312" x 0.625") just fit with being able to zipper around it without forcing it, but was tight. I would definitely orient my Magellan LCD screen up for better protection. It might be a bit tight for shock absorption, but seemed okay for tossing in a glove compartment or purse.

There is a netted section on the top half to hold accessories with another fairly strong elastic band 0.375" thick and held about 0.25" from the back. You are probably pretty limited to fit something small with your device in here. Maybe you could put a small USB cable or something. But you could also be adding a pressure point that if compressed from outside would transfer to your device through the object held here. I suppose you could put your own piece of foam here for added protection, but it seem unnecessary.
1717 comments184 of 187 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2012
This case was recommended by Amazon to fit the Seagate 1TB portable. Got the case and it really doesn't fit. You can almost force it in but it doesn't fit. I have 2 WD passport essentials and the cases all give plenty of room and work well.
I would NOT buy this to use a Seagate 1TB portable with it will not fit
1313 comments108 of 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2012
I purchased this case along with a 1TB Seagate Portable Hard Drive. I looked at the dimensions of the hard drive (4.8 x 3.2 x 0.6) and compared to the dimensions of the case (5.3 x 3.5 x 1.5) and felt very comfortable that it would be adequately sized to house the hard drive. I was wrong!
While the case is a perfect fit for the length & depth of the hard drive (the 5.3 and 1.5 sides) it falls over 0.5 short on the width. The dimensions given were obviously exterior and not the "usable" space. So beware.

Other than that the case is great with a very handy net compartment on one side and has a very hard & sturdy construction. I'm going to keep it and use for my memory media cards.

UPDATE: I just went online to buy a new case for the hard drive....and saw exactly why I bought this case....it was the "also sold with this product" noted on the amazon page. Urggg. Even more frustrating that it was grouped with a hard drive that it doesn't even fit.
66 comments90 of 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2011
I bought this case to house my Toshiba Canvio 1TB 2.5" external drive, which I use for offsite backups. The case fits the drive perfectly, has a netted pouch for it's cable, and has a hard shell to keep the contents safe. Recommended.
0Comment30 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2012
The case itself is ok but I bought this one over others is because it was a suggested item when I bought Western Digital My Passport Studio 1 TB FireWire 800 External Hard Drive. I thought it would fit since they said other customers who bought the hard drive also bought this case; however, it's too small for the hard drive. The Case Logic PHDC-1 Portable Hard Drive Case (Magenta) would be better size for the hard drive.
33 comments41 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2013
First of all, this is a great case! It's very slim, seems sturdy, and is made of durable fabric. There are two compartments within the case. The main compartment has a strap that goes over the hard drive to keep it in place, while the other compartment has a mesh net for a cable or two and maybe a flash drive. The only problem I had with the case itself is that the zipper pulls a bit more than I'd like. It's very durable, and it seems like it's just going to take some time to wear it down a bit, so no big deal.

This case was a recommended item when I purchased my Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB External, but I DO NOT recommend getting it. The inside of the case has rounded corners, whereas the drive itself is a rectangle. It was hard to put the drive in/take it out, and the case fit extremely tight around the drive. I heard the removable dock on the drive pop and shift a few times while trying to take the drive out. If you are buying this case for the Backup Plus drive, I'd recommend the "Case Logic PHDC-1 Compact Portable Hard Drive Case (Black". It's a much thicker case, but it fits the drive a lot better. Oddly enough, the PHDC-1 Case is a recommended item for the SeaGate FreeAgent GoFlex 500 GB External Drive, which I also have. All I had to do was switch the cases for a much better fit.

So, to wrap up:
If you're looking for a case for a SeaGate Backup Plus 1 TB: get the "Case Logic PHDC-1 Compact Portable Hard Drive Case (Black)".
If you're looking for a case for a SeaGate FreeAgent GoFlex 500 GB, get this case.

They're both excellent cases, but getting the above cases will provide a better fit for your drive.
22 comments20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2012
This was sold as a set with a Seagate 1tb external hard drive. Problem is the hard drive doesnt even remotely fit in it. How does this happen? I am totally not satisfied with something that was offered as a combo sale to protect something else. Please check your demensions before buying!!!!!!
VINE VOICEon November 15, 2010
Color: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this case, and the WD official case for the passport (I have a few digital passports and they were in need of case).

Right now, as far as I can tell you have 2 options, this or the WD case.

Let me compare and contrast the 2 and maybe you can make a better decision.

Pros This Case:
Nice looking outercase, looks sleek and professional (minus the yellow caselogic tag)
The inside is the best, it has a spot for your cord (like the WD case), but where it shines is the small strap it has to keep your drive stationary.

This is important because if you have a hard time getting the zipper open (which I haven't experienced on any case) the drive won't drop to the floor, or if you open it upside down.

I'm saying you can be more careless with this case.

The outershell is harder than the WD, and it may offer more protection.

Pros on the WD Case

The WD case looks a bit better, has no design (other than the WD logo which doesn't stand out), the only con is they only offer it in gray and blue (but the case logic is only offered in black so I can't knock a point off for that!

The inside of the case on the WD is nicer, it's smoother to the touch and feels like it offers more cushion for the drive.

The outer shell is thicker and has more spring, it looks like it may protect it more than the case logic case.

The real con for the WD case is no little slip to keep the HD in place that the case logic has.

Bottom line, both cases are great (maybe pick one from each so you can tell which drive is which!), personally I'd go with the WD case, but I'm not adverse to this one. The WD seems to cost less right now so that's another point in it's favor.

But there is nothing wrong with this case, and the slip does offer more piece of mind which may warrant picking this over WD's.
on August 23, 2012
Recently bought this case to protect a "WD My passport 1TB HD". FITS GREAT, not to tight; extra space for a cable and other small accesory, may be SD cards. It looks and feels sturdy, materials are excellent.
review image
VINE VOICEon November 7, 2010
Color: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This discreet, unassuming case has a hard shell covered in a durable poly/nylon fabric. There's no padding inside, but it's a snug fit with my Western Digital Passport. It feels very secure; the hard drive isn't going to slide around inside the case. The zipper is fairly heavy-duty: the teeth are plastic, and the pull tab is metal. It feels like a zipper you would find on top-quality camping gear, and it's actually a little tough to zip open/closed. This case wouldn't survive a fall from a 10-story building, but it would definitely protect your hard drive enough if it were to fall from your desk onto the floor. So far I've used it back and forth to the office for two weeks and on a business trip to the West Coast, and it's held up nicely.

Inside, there are two compartments. On the left (or the "top" panel when zipped shut) is a mesh pocket with an elastic band. I put my WD Passport's USB cable in this pocket, but I could also easily fit in a flash drive or a pair of earbuds. On the right (or the "bottom" panel when zipped) is an open compartment with a sturdy, 1"-thick elastic band running vertically -- this is obviously where your hard drive goes. I like that the strap is positioned this way because it's easier to slip your fingers underneath the hard drive and extract it from the case than if the strap were positioned horizontally.

The only downside is that the zipper is kind of tough to open/close, but that's pretty minor. This case would easily hold an iPhone, a GPS navigator, an mp3 player, or a slim digital camera. Overall, I'd rate this case five stars and would definitely recommend it if you're looking for a sturdy way to protect your small electronics -- especially your portable hard drive.