Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Shop Now Tikes

VINE VOICEon August 6, 2012
Color: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If I purchased this specifically for my camera and lens, I would be a little disappointed and would probably award it 4 stars because it is a generic fit (but good enough) as opposed to a perfect fit. There are no flaws in the material or workmanship and it was designed for a generic size of body and lens. What you need to know is what kind of camera I used with this baby. Read on.

I have more cases than I care to admit. It was a trial and error process. I now use only three of them. This is one of those three. The first one is a backpack style case. I use it when I want to carry just about all of my gear. The backpack also has a special pocket for a thin laptop or in my case, an iPad. I go fully equipped only when I am not certain what I want to shoot or might come across. I'm fully prepared with that thing.

When I know what lens I want to shoot with and I need room for a few other things, I carry a smaller case that looks like it was made to hold fat binoculars. Finally, when I just want go with the bare minimum, I use this one. When you go bare minimum, you just need something to act as a cover so you don't scratch your camera up. This case will also protect it from minor bumps.

All three of my favorite cases happen to be Case Logic. I own many other brands, but I use the Case Logics most often.

I shoot with a Nikon D7000. This case fits my camera with Nikon's 18-200mm VR lens very snugly. It doesn't slip right it. It takes just a little effort, but I don't have to force it. Of course with smaller lenses, it slips right in.

The only pocket it has is a small pocket to hold the lens cap when you are using the camera. That's actually a nice feature. Many shooters like myself don't like lens cap lanyards.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Color: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been quite used to lugging around a camera bag with my DSLR and lens but for those who want to bring the minimum along with them for street photography or on vacation may want to look into Case Logi's Day Holster, for that added protection from bumps or scratches, especially if you intend to have this inside your back pack or bag and want that peace of mind that your DSLR will be snug and safe.

The holster attaches to your DSLR camera strap via a tether strap connected to the Day Holster and you can fit your DSLR with a small lens and also a pocket for your lens cap.

This particular Day Holster is black and is made in China. With your DSLR lens pointing down, the size can accomodate most DSLR's via 7.5 inches (19cm), width is 5.9" (15 cm) and height from shutter to bottom of camera is 4.6" (11.8 cm).

The Case Logic Day Holster will suit a photographer who likes to carry the basic minimum while in shots. Although I tend to prefer carrying a DSLR bag or having a DSLR backup to hold my multiple lens, the Day Holster is great for those who want easy access without carry much at all.

With that being said, this is not for those who use large lenses and its not for those who have a battery grip. The Day Holster is great if you have a DSLR camera and possibly a smaller lens like a 50 mm or even a kit lens. Something small. But I wish the Day Holster was slightly bigger to accommodate a DSLR with a grip. Otherwise, you will need to carry an extra battery with you, fortunately there is a pocket that is for a lens cap, DSLR cap and can hold a thin battery (or business cards).

The material is quite sturdy to protect from small bumps or scratches if kept in a bag or around your shoulder, but if dropped, I can't tell you that it's that strong, but I'm guessing it isn't.

Overall, the Case Logic DSLR Day Holster is useful. I tend to bang my DSLR quite a bit into things, especially on door knobs. But it helps to have this holster that is slightly sturdy enough to protect your DSLR from scratches and small bumps.

And for street photographers who don't want to carry much with them. Just a DSLR and a small lens and want that added protection for their DSLR, then the Day Holster is worth checking out!
VINE VOICEon July 24, 2012
Color: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I like holster cases because they form fit the lens and you don't have to remove it. This one fits my Canon Ti2 with its 80-200 Tamron lens perfectly. The camera size guide on the insert says it allows 5.9" inches across the back of the camera, 4.6" from the base to the top of the camera and 7.5" for camera + lens length. It attaches to the neck strap with a 1 inch plastic loop and you can crush it under your arm while you shoot if the bulk bothers you. As promised there is an interior pocket for the lens cover which is one of its best features. The material feels like neoprene and gives your camera protection from dust, minor scrapes and bumps. Note that there is NO internal sling or hard bottom to protect your camera lens from being dropped hard on the lens. It did have enough room to slip my extra battery down in the lens area. There are no external pockets for chargers are power cords but then the idea is to have a day case that minimizes bulk. Nice little alternative to my larger holster that has it all.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2012
My brother bought me this for my Canon T3i with an 18-135mm lens. I have to say that for that camera body and for that lens, this product works well. The lens is essentially all the way at the bottom, and the camera body has just a little wiggle room, but is not "skin tight." (My lens also has a CPL filter on it too, and even with that extra length, the lens still has a tiny bit of room.)

I had USA Gear's Camera Sleeve USA Gear DuraNeoprene dSLR FlexArmor Camera Cover - fits Canon EOS 50D / 40D / 30D / 20D / 10D / T3 / T3i / T2i / T1i / XS / XSi / XT / Xti / 400D / 450D / 500D / 550D / 600D / 1000D / 1100D ***Includes Microfiber Cleaning Cloth that housed a Rebel T3 with a 18-55mm lens which I loved. However, when I sold the T3 to upgrade to the T3i with a more versatile lens, the 18-135mm lens was just too long, ergo I bought this.

As mentioned before, this fits the T3i/18-135mm lens much better and the neoprene seems very durable. So why did I knock off a star? I wish that the Velcro closure was replaced by a snap button or real button - I know that in a year the Velcro will gather loose strings and lint, and just will not close well. I feel that with a different closure it would have been more durable. Also, I really loved the shape of USA Gear's sleeve. It looks like a camera, and it was sewn to efficiently fit an SLR, where the Day Holster seems lazily designed. The Day Holster does not hug the lens when it meets the camera body whatsoever and it looks awkward when its holding the camera around your neck. Canon's 18-135mm lens is 67mm in diameter, and there is still room around the lens, so I feel that a 72mm lens would also fit very nicely in here.

All things considered, this is a great sleeve for longer, thicker lenses. If I were to have bought this with an 18-55mm lens I would have returned it in a heartbeat for USA Gear's sleeve. In fact, if you do have an 18-55mm lens, I wouldn't recommend it as there would be way too much room between the end of the lens and the end of the sleeve. Personally, when I buy a neoprene sleeve, I'd like it to fit a little tighter so that it is less bulky. For longer, thicker lenses, this seems to be the best product on the market, however be wary if you have a slimmer lens: it is a bit bulky.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 22, 2012
Color: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This holster is cool, and I'm glad I have it. It is a relatively low-profile way to keep my camera from getting battered. The proportions are wrong for my camera (Panasonic Lumix FZ-150), which I knew ahead of time, but I accepted the tradeoff because I had already bought another bag (Case Logic DCB-304) that didn't work out, and this seemed like a better fit for my needs.

The little hanger on the holster is sort of goofy. It's a plastic "C" on a tether, hanging from the holster. You put the open part of the "C" against your camera strap and push, and it snaps on. It is big and round, so it's big compared to the small part of my camera strap, but it isn't big enough to slide over the thicker part of my camera strap. That means that it hangs in the air a few inches below my camera and is in the way whenever I hold the camera with the strap hanging free. It also means that it could conceivably snap off at some point, but that could be good or bad depending on the situation!

Also, the "lens-cap pocket" inside the holster may be useful for some people, but it isn't for me. I thought it would be a great idea to temporarily put an SD card in there until I had a better spot for it, but that was dumb. Of course the SD card fell out in the middle of a national park. Fortunately it landed in the car and I found it after only a moderate panic attack. The holster would be better if you could close the lens-cap pocket, or if it had another small pocket for miscellaneous stuff like SD cards or lens cloths. I think that would be a good compromise between minimalism and pack rattery.

The velcro closure may stick to other things if you carry it in a bag, and makes noise when you open it. So if you are trying to get photos of animals or are trying to be sneaky for some other reason, you may have trouble here.

The material and quality are excellent! This holster is really well-made.

Basically, this holster is high-quality and works well to protect my camera, but it is noisy, doesn't attach well to my camera strap and would be better with a pocket or two.
on December 26, 2012
Yep, the camera fit pretty nicely and it stays clipped on like it says it does. The one issue I had was that the little pouch inside doesn't stay closed and I lost my lens cap in the woods somewhere. I have 2 lenses for my canon t3i. The 18-55 and the 50-250 telephoto. The telephoto fits tight, but it fits and that is really nice for when you don't want to carry around a huge bag.
on May 15, 2015
I was pretty positive my Canon 70D with a 24mm Pancake lens would fit this case based on measurements but to my surprise the 70D & 18-135MM fit PERFECTLY in this bag. "Like a glove".

Very satisfied with purchase. I just needed something to cover my camera when it's in the passenger seat or I put it in my messenger bag. I have a camera backpack that holds everything and then some but sometimes it is just not practical. This definitely fit the bill as far as being a simple protective layer from scratches/bumps etc

Went with the blue because it was the cheapest at the time and it's pretty nice.

The 70D with the 24MM pancake lens has quite a bit of room in the nose of the bag so if you generally use smaller prime lenses I would stuff something in the nose to make it a little more snug. But since I rotate lenses I'm not going to worry about it.
review image review image review image review image
on September 29, 2013
Recently went on a trip to London, and a couple of weeks before leaving I unexpectedly decided it didn't make sense to bring my complete set of camera kit, instead I just wanted to bring my Sony A77 24.3 MP Translucent Mirror Digital SLR With 16-50mm F2.8 lens and one small extra lens (a small 35mm prime which I never used on the trip). Instead of bringing my dedicated camera bag I brought a medium sized day bag (Pacsafe Luggage Venture Safe 25L GII) so I wanted something to protect the camera while it was in the bag. I also wanted something that would protect the camera while it was hanging over my shoulder on its sling.

This case worked well in both situations. The fit is sung for the A77 with the 16-50mm F2.8, but it does fit. Another nice thing about this case v. other similar cases is that both sides are open top to bottom, so it works well with sling style straps as well as normal neck straps that mount to the top of camera bodies. Also found the case's tether (which lets it hang from your camera's strap when the case is off the camera) worked well and didn't get in the way.

My one complaint is that the lens cap pocket inside the case gets caught on the Acra plate I have on the bottom of my camera, but once you know this is a problem it just takes a bit of jockeying to get the camera in.
review image review image
VINE VOICEon July 25, 2012
Color: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Right off the bat -- I received a size "S" -- I see the Day Holster also comes in "M and "L". Since the size "S" case is pretty sizeable, (though quite lightweight) I can only wonder how much bigger the other 2 sizes are. According to the tags enclosed with this case, the size "S" fits cameras with a maximum body width of 5.9" (15 cm), body height of 4.6" (11.8 cm), and a length from back of body to (affixed onto lens) lens cap of 7.5" (19cm).

My Nikon D50 DSLR - just barely fits into this case -- There is only one way I can insert it into the case (with the light meter towards the back of the case)or else it does not fit at all. There is about 1 1/2" of empty space between the end of the (zoom) lens and the bottom of the case, which is nice actually -- I can stuff cotton or other shock-absorbing material into that space just in case I should accidentally drop the DSLR Day Holster.

Once I inserted my camera, I pulled my camera's shoulder strap (still attached to the camera) out of the Day Holster, and secured the Velcro front -- which, in my case, was not too well secured -- as my camera just barely fits into the Day Holster. The camera's shoulder strap is actually meant to be threaded through the tether situated on the Day Holster. When this has been done, the Day Holster should hang nicely from your shoulder, to your side, or down to the small of your back, or the strap can go around your neck, to thwack the case against the front of your body. Taking out the camera and shooting with it means having the Day Holster dangling in front of you-- which could be bulky but with its light weight, is something I suppose one can get used to.

The material appears to be very sturdy, nicely padded but not overly bulky -- and assuming you are not wearing satin or something that makes noise as you move, the Day Holster should not unduly alarm any flora or fauna or birds that you are trying to get close enough to take pictures of. The lens-cap pocket is a nice, welcomed touch.

Case Logic makes great products, BUT I am not too terribly fond of this -- maybe I can expand its physical size a bit with usage. I will also see if I grow fonder of it as I use it more -- out on the street, the field. But in addition to having a Medium size for my particular camera, I REALLY would have liked a separate shoulder strap attached to the Day Holster.
Color: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Case Logic SHC-101-BK DSLR Day Holster is a very nice and well padded DSLR camera bag. The main difference than the traditional camera bag is that this bag is meant to be like a light case/cover for the camera (but still protect the camera nicely). You will need to attach this case to your camera shoulder strap. This case is great when you are traveling or backpacking where you don't want to carry another bulky camera bag. With this case you can put your camera inside your backpack or any carry-on luggage. It also has a lens cap pocket which is nice to have.

I believe this particular model is intended for compact DSLR such as Canon Rebel series or Nikon D40/D60/D3000/D5000 series. For Canon 50D/60D or Nikon D80/D90, it will be tight but still works, but anything bigger than that, I think it won't fit very well and it will be a hassle to put the camera in and out of the case.

I used this with 18-70mm lens attached and it works just fine and it will also fit 18-135mm, 55-200mm, 55-300mm, 18-200mm VR and 70-300mm non VR, but for 70-300mm VR it probably will be too tight (and the bag Velcro might not be easily strapped or strapped securely). Anyway the guide says it fits for camera + lens setup with the following maximum dimension 5.9 * 4.6 * 7.5 (i.e.15cm * 11.8cm * 19cm). So it's safe to check with this dimension guide before buying this case.

Lastly, with the holster connecting to the camera strap so you don't need to put the case down while taking your shot, however should you want to do so, you can just easily remove the case as the holster connector/Tether is very easy to remove.

Sidarta Tanu