5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the SLRC-1Z Zoom Holster
I had originally bought the Case Logic SLR-1Z Zoom Holster to accommodate my D70 with attached Tamron 28-300 lens, however I found that case had too small of an opening for my camera. So I got the SLRC-201 Zoom and it is much better, the differences between the two cases are:

SLRC-201
1) Larger opening, camera slips in and out with ease.
2) Main...
Published on October 3, 2009 by dazzler11

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Compact Case for DSLR But With Quality Issues
Published on September 15, 2011 by PJR - Florida

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the SLRC-1Z Zoom Holster, October 3, 2009

SLRC-201
1) Larger opening, camera slips in and out with ease.
2) Main compartment zipper is easier to operate.
3) Hammock suspension system is a better design.
4) Base is sturdier and made of better material.
5) Strap is a little longer.

SLR-1Z
1) Strap pad is thicker.
2) Extra pocket on inside flap cover.
3) Although the main zipper is difficult to open, it seems to be more water proof.
4) Has option for belt attachment.

Both of these cases are very well made and great for cameras with attached lenses, if you have a smaller SLR then the 1Z will work for you, however the 201 is much better for a larger SLR camera, hope this helps with your decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Solution for small SLR with 18-200mm lens., September 28, 2011
This review is from: Case Logic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster (Black) (Electronics)
Some people keep saying 'Too small'. Please, stop it.
That is not rating the product, but address compatibility issue.
All product may have compatibility issues if YOU don't measure dimensions.

SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster is perfect solution for small SLR with 18-200mm lens.
1) High-density foamed water-resistant bottom protects camera very safe.
2) Scratch-resistant memory foam with cushion on interior lid protects LCD.
3) Hammock System is a wonderful innovation. Camera slips in & out very easely.
4) Planty of storage spaces are good for organizing accessories.

I tried all these all-in-one lens combinations.
They all fited very well in SLRC-201.

-Sony a-55 with 18-250mm lens.
-Nikon D5100 with 18-200mm lens.
-Canon 60D with 18-200mm lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit, November 19, 2009
This review is from: Case Logic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster (Black) (Electronics)
A perfect fit for my Canon Rebel T1i with attached EF 70mm-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the right size, with caveats., January 20, 2010
This review is from: Case Logic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster (Black) (Electronics)
I purchased this holster case for a Canon EOS 7D (with the 18-135mm IS 3.5-5.6 lens) when I purchased it. The bag is just the right size for the camera, I have enough space above it to tuck the strap in and zip it up for carrying it around. The pockets on the sides are slightly cramped, but provide ample space for a remote shutter release, lens cloth, miniature tripod, and lens caps. Thus I feel prepared whenever I am shooting.
Now, the caveats to this case:
The 7D is a larger SLR (not the size of the D3 or the 1D, but still hefty) and when you are using the suspension strap, it holds the camera body very close to the top, thus I undid the velcro holding the suspension strap in place, and used a twist tie to keep it from getting tangled up in things.
The strap works well, but is a little thin, and the padded portion tends to slip and slide around, while you can put on a different strap with ease, this is annoying on a case that is meant to hold relatively hefty cameras.
That being said, the case protects the camera extremely well. I have gone skiing with this bag at my side, and had no worries for the camera while on the mountain. If you have anything larger than a 7D, I would suggest you look elsewhere for a case, though if you have any of the smaller nikons or canons, this will do just fine. Overall, I really like it, It's a good size and feels like it keeps my camera well protected.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Compact Case for DSLR But With Quality Issues, September 15, 2011
This review is from: Case Logic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster (Black) (Electronics)
I bought this case as a compact solution for carrying a Nikon DSLR with a single (18-105) lens. I planned to carry minimum accessories (charger/hood) as well, but not much else. On arrival the case seemed to fit the bill but further experience resulted in my decision to return this item. First, the case was a very good size for carrying the camera, but the side/front storage were really to small to handle the charger and hood. This was because the two side pockets are so small (shallow) that nothing of any size can be stored in them. Additionally, these compartments open in a way that makes it highly likely that items will fall out when opening. Another issue is the camera sling feature that looked great but performed poorly. The idea is excellent - provide a sling that suspends the camera by the face (around the lens), keeping it from hitting/resting on the bottom of the case. Sadly, the material was too weak to hold this camera (D5100) with the lens (18-105) and so it sagged more or less to touch the bottom. And, as there was no effective way to pull the sling higher (there was room above the camera back), the sling was largely an added inconvenience (at best) or an added risk (as the camera/lens was not otherwise secured within the confines of the case. Finally, and the reason for my return, was that a seam around the front storage compartment opened on the 2nd day of use. While it is possible that this was a 1-off defect, it did not bode well for the life-span of an otherwise quality product.
My detail ratings were:
- Quality of Materials - 4 out of 5 - material used on the outside was high quality and the solid base was excellent. Zippers as well were high quality.
- Construction Quality - 3 out of 5 - Seemed good overall, but a seam that separated on day 2 was a bad omen.
- Usability - 3 out of 5 - Design seemed excellent for the purpose, but the weak sling meant that the case was not ideal for protecting this equipment. And, as the storage couldn't handle minimal additional items (charger/hood), the case was somewhat problematic for any extended travel.
- Feature - 4 out of 5 - As stated above - design is great and overall the features seemed ideal for carrying a DSLR with one lens 9attached). However, limitations on usability of storage and performance of the sling feature diminish the results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good slr camera with lens bag, January 3, 2010
W. Ivey (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Case Logic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster (Black) (Electronics)
Usually I carry my cameras around in a cheap insulated soft-side lunchbox - the kind you can get anywhere for less than $10. (They work OK, and they don't look worth stealing which is nice.) Having bought a new DSLR (Nikon D5000) I decided to see if I could find a real camera bag that wasn't too pricey, protected the camera better, had good access and was suitable for moderate exposure to the elements. This one comes very close to all of those requirements.

Pros: Holds the camera securely without requiring excessive handling to retrieve it for use. Has dual zippers so you don't have to remember which side the zipper is on. Has three handy compartments for accessories. The shape fits nicely into niches a rectangular bag would not. The base has a waterproof "shoe" so you can set it down in almost an inch of water without leaking. (Very nice, that last bit. I was traveling in snow and ice in December and sometimes you just have to set it down - if there was snow I just stamped it flat and set the bag down.) Fit and finish seem excellent: at no time have I felt any insecurity about tugging on any of its zippers, flaps or straps.

Cons: The three flap opening in the "hammock" is a bit tight especially if you have a lens shade on your lens. (You can stretch it some, and it will loosen over time anyway.) Depending on your camera it's a bit tricky finding a grip to easily extract the camera from the compartment without accidentally turning a switch or setting dial. (You can upend the bag and the camera will drop out a bit for easier grabbing; an extra half-inch width might have been nice though.) If you have a full sized DSLR this may be more of an issue, if you have smaller hands than I, probably not. Finally, the compartments are fine for a few extra filters, battery, and memory cards, etc., but might be too small for your charger if it's larger than average. (Nikon supplies a charger with a full-length AC cord which makes it a tight fit in this bag.)

Other: No room for a 2nd lens, but that's not the point of this bag. You also don't want to put a long lens on your camera and try to shove it into this bag either. Most reasonable prime and kit lenses should fit just fine, though. (The 18-105 mm Nikon lens, for example, has plenty of room.) Any lens that's about 4.25" or less from lens cap to camera body should be very happy, and the bottom of the case is well padded if it happens to touch that.) The "hammock" can also be unhitched (it's held on one end by Velcro) which makes grabbing the camera out faster, but sacrifices some security. Nice to have the choice, though.

P.S. I repurposed a lunch bag with some cut foam to hold my extra lens, battery charger and other bits for now, but I'm looking at getting this bag's big brother - the one with lens-suitable side pockets - not as a replacement, but as a supplement for when I need a more inclusive kit to carry around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Case Logic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster (Black), November 25, 2011
D. Matic (Auckland New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Case Logic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster (Black) (Electronics)
I've been making up my mind between this and Lowepro AW55 Toploader bag for a while. What persuaded me to choose Case Logic was online reviews, personal check at the local shop {at twice Amazon's price!) and the quality and features of this bag compared with the Lowepro. Case Logic's case is better and richer padding, more pockets for accessories: spare memory cards, lens pen,lens caps, my cellphone, keys and if you wish you can easily add spare battery and a couple of other small bits. If you like to carry flash than look elsewhere, these pockets are not big enough for that. However, I managed to fit leather case with 67mm lens filters at the bottom of the bag under my Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD and 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens with hood in travel mode.
The quality of build is outstanding and obviously weather proof. However, the shoulder strap is a piece of junk: very tiny with a barely padded shoulder pad. Then again Lowepro bags suffer from the same disease. To fix this issue I've ordered Comfort Air Cell Padded Netbook Notebook Briefcase Bag Shoulder Strap from Amazon. Once it arrives, I'll update this review. The Strap is the reason why I rate this bag 4 stars. Why manufacturers design brilliant bags and than ignore one of the most important components like the shoulder strap is beyond me. Nikon D7000 with lens attached is a heavy camera and while you carry it in the bag with the slim and poorly padded shoulder strap, it can cause quite a bit of discomfort and photography is all about joy and pleasure, not pain and suffering (Ha!Ha!)
Anyway, I am still extremely satisfied with Case Logic SLR 201 and happily recommend it to anyone who needs a toploader bag for a medium to bigger camera, with excellent padding, weather protection and supreme quality of build.

Pros:
- High quality build
- Great price
- Weatherproof
- Excellent padding
- Plenty of pockets
- Size big enough for larger SLR with lens attached
- Hammock suspension system

Cons:
- Strap rather useless
- Pockets could be bigger

Update 3/12/2011
As promised I am updating this review after I've received Comfort Air Cell Padded Netbook Notebook Briefcase Bag Shoulder Strap. This strap makes all other straps supplied with the bags rather ridiculous. It virtually transforms your bag carrying experience. It's a lot wider then strap supplied with the bag , making it a lot more comfortable around your neck, chest and back. Shoulder pad is brilliant: wide, long and sawn in place [eliminating any chance of sliding around] and padded with small bubbly compartments filled with air, making it extremely comfortable on your shoulder. Pad is also made of stretchy material, making it to fill elastic and that way helping in carrying heavy load [in my case camera] with ease.
This strap makes Case Logic SLR-201 case ULTIMATE CAMERA CASE!

update: 20/jan/2013

Zip stitching started to tear on one of the corners, still not alarming enough to claim against 25 year warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great case, January 7, 2010
This review is from: Case Logic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster (Black) (Electronics)
This is a great case - very nicely designed, well built, looks great, very functional. It is my third Caselogic digital SLR case, purchased because I wanted a holster case for my Nikon D50 with a new, longer 50-200mm zoom lens. I searched around a bit and tried other cases at stores like Best Buy, Ritz photo, and Calumet. This case works great, and has improved several features over my earlier cases (which have worked great for me.) The handle is nicely padded, the "hammock" has a nice Y-shaped cutout extending from the circular lens opening making it very easy to insert and remove my camera without snagging, even with the hood attached in the reverse position. The solid, waterproof base is a nice addition, and allows the case to stand up solidly when placed on a flat surface. Very well made, very well padded, classy and sporty looking at the same time. A great purchase, and also a very good value compare to what else is available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Travel, December 10, 2011
This review is from: Case Logic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster (Black) (Electronics)
I purchased this bag so I could take my Nikon D90 with me on vacation. I did not want to take my regular bag because of it's larger size. I wanted something small and easy to carry with me on the airplane and on excursions outside of my hotel. The smaller size even allowed me to put the bag and camera easily into the hotel room safe, which I wouldn't have been able to do with my larger Nikon bag. The generic look of the bag is nice too, because I prefer not to advertise the fact that I'm carrying a Nikon camera when out and about.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great at First - Then Holster Stretched Out, August 15, 2011
This review is from: Case Logic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster (Black) (Electronics)
BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT: Hammock system stretched allowing the camera to slip through and become entangled, ruining the case's usability.

I bought this case from Amazon in November 2010 for my Sony A55 DSLT camera. The A-55 is a little smaller than traditional DLSRs, which could be the problem.

At first, the case worked perfectly. Light and small, it held my camera with the kit lens, any of the primes I owned, or even my 100-200mm lens like a dream. It was convenient, seemed like it protected the camera, and was a great size for all day walking around. I even clipped a small soft-sided lens case to the strap closure when I wanted to carry 2 lenses on me. The case fit a couple of memory cards and the battery charger with no problem while not feeling too big. Even the strap was long enough to wear across my chest, and I am 6'5".

However, the "hammock system" began to stretch out after about 4 months. Occasionally, the camera would fall through the hammock and become tangled in it. This became more and more common place until now it can't go 5 minutes without the camera falling through the sling. After 9 months, I would expect it to perform better than that.

I finally got fed up when I missed a few priceless shots this past weekend while I was fighting to get it out of the holster and decided to write a review. I have never feared that the camera would be damaged (the bag is well padded), it is just a pain to untangle it each time I get it out.

Case Logic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster (Black)
$22.59 $21.99