5.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasant Surprise
Published on August 26, 2009 by A. D. Lum

3.0 out of 5 stars A very useful bag... with some caveats.
Published on November 9, 2009 by Michael J. Edelman

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasant Surprise, August 26, 2009
A. D. Lum (Honolulu, Hawaii) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Case Logic SLRC-202 Medium SLR Camera Bag (Black) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own a number of cases and here's what I can tell you. Stay away from the backpack style unless you have a specific need for them. It's easier to carry cases with a single shoulder strap and a handle (for when you want to carry it suitcase-style). With backpacks, getting things in an out will require you to place it on a flat surface or balance it precariously on your hand or knee. You more or less have to open the whole thing and if you are doing the balancing act, your stuff can take a spill.

The ones that are shaped like typical gadget bags (kind of boxy) are better. It's easier to get to your stuff than with a backpack, yet they can hold quite a bit depending on the size you get. I personally like Ape Case bags when I want to carry "all my stuff". The one drawback is that sometimes you want to travel as lean as you can, yet still carry the essentials. For me, that means my camera body and three lenses - an 18-55, a 55-200, and a 50 mm prime. I had an 18-200 lens, but I gave it to my wife so I have to carry these three lenses with me. Of course, I would not feel complete without my flash. To be specific, I have a Nikon SB-800. The body with either non-prime lens attached, fits well in the center compartment. On either side of the center compartment, there are somewhat tubular-shaped side compartments. The two extra lenses fit perfectly together in one of the compartments. Their rear caps touch, but they are not in any peril. The SB-800 fits perfectly in the other side compartment. The extra lenses and the flash fit perfectly, but that means "in the raw" - not inside a lens pouch or the flash case. That's just fine, because I don't want to remove the flash from the compartment and then have to remove it from another container, which I would then have to worry about losing. Same with the lenses. I like to be quick on the draw.

That leaves me with a front and rear pocket to put lens cleaning stuff (essential), extra memory, etc..

By the way, the center compartment has a sling, or "hammock" as Caselogic calls it. The lens goes through the hole in the center of the sling. The sling is designed to cradle and support the camera body, suspending it and acting like a shock absorber. The truth is that the sling will only work that way if you have a short lens attached. If you have a zoom attached, then the camera's weight will be supported by the lens resting on the bottom of the case. If you have your filters and your lens cap snug, this shouldn't be a problem. The good thing about the sling is the hole. It has ample give so that it doesn't remove your lens cap when you pull the camera out. That is not true of the Caselogic SLRC-201, which I also own. The 201 by the way, is for when you want to carry ONLY your camera with lens, and maybe a few tiny knick knacks.

The outside bottom of this case is like a solid rubber boot. It acts as a good barrier against rough terrain. It will also keep your stuff dry if you set the bag down on wet grass, etc.. It absorbs shock by distributing an impact.

The pleasant surprise is the shape of this case. It is shaped like a binocular case, which makes it less bulky than a rectangular case. It is also easier to carry at your side because it doesn't protrude as much. If you expect to be shooting on the go, say at an amusement park or while hiking, this case is much easier to tote and stow than a backpack or box-style case. You'll be mobile and quick on the draw.

The case material(s) are sturdy in places that need to be rugged, and softer where a gentle touch is required. Two places where the material is soft are under the lid of the main compartment (doesn't scratch your display screen), and on the side that touches your body when you carry it with the strap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligently designed protection for your SLR camera, August 27, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A nicely thought out hammock system suspends your camera, lens down, in a well protected sling, inside a nicely foam insulated case with a waterproofed bottom. Security with easy access at last.

Finding the right case to carry a bigger-than-your-pocket camera around in (along with its accessories) has been a bit of an issue for enthusiasts for many years. Most of the cases used, even those designed by and marketed by the camera manufacturers themselves, were awkwardly configured. Most required that the camera be placed, lens facing outward, into a case `molded' to that camera's specifications.

Some were well padded and others not. Most left the lens sticking out in the most vulnerable position of being bumped into something - possibly damaging what is, arguably, the cameras most sensitive, precise and important element - its lens.

Cases tended, thus, to be either too stiff, too heavily padded and bulky or simply too difficult to quickly get the camera out for that once-in-a-lifetime shot every photographer has seen and missed. Consequently, many shutterbugs (both amateur and professional) have taken to carrying their cameras uncased, held around their neck by the old reliable strap.

Thanks to the good technical imagination, innovation and skill of the folks at Case-Logic, there is a new and lovely alternative to the imperfect case and the all-too-vulnerable open exposure of the camera and lens. This is the SLRC-202 SLR Camera Bag.

The hammock, which crosses over the top of the opened bag and attaches to the opposite side with a heavy-duty Velcro strip. This allows the camera to be placed into the case lens down with the body of the camera immediately accessible to your hand while the lens is held securely in a suspended position below the hammock. The camera lifts out easily with a single motion. My own Canon EOS Rebel XS1, for which I use a variety of EF and EF-S lenses, is held perfectly with plenty of room for even longer lenses to spare.

In addition to the two medium-size pockets (each 6 X 4 X 3.5 inches) along the narrow sides of this bag that are plenty large enough to hold extra lenses or other accessories, there are also slender zippered compartments on the front and back for extra memory cards, batteries, etc.

Not to be taken for granted, is the waterproof (and self-standing flat EVA bottom. Finding a safe place to put your camera and case down, especially out of doors in wet conditions, is yet another bug-a-boo for many photographers and Case-Logic has taken this into account as well.

With all of these features, including an effective memory-foam interior on the inner side of the top to give additional protection to the LCD screen of your camera, the Case-Logic SLRC-202 bag is surprisingly compact and light. Made of nylon and EVA, it weighs in at one pound even and measures only 9.5 X 5 X 12 inches externally and 7.5 X 4.3 X 5.5 inched internally.

It comes with a padded, removable, shoulder strap and is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for 25 years.

For the photographer who has tired of trying too many cases that were never just right and whose neck is a tad worn from carrying a fully loaded and long-lens camera around his/her neck, this Case-Logis SLRC-202 is something we have been waiting for.

3.0 out of 5 stars A very useful bag... with some caveats., November 9, 2009
I've been using this bag, on and off, for a few years, with two different D-SLRs. On the plus side, it's deep enough to carry most of the current range of consumer and "prosumer" D-SLRs with an attached zoom, along with spare batteries, cables, media cards, filters, and a small flash unit. Padding is excellent, and access to the camera inside is very good. I've even shoved a small water bottle in one of the side pockets. As a hand-carried bag I think it's an good value.

What I don't like is how the bag hangs. The supplied strap is too narrow, and keeps slipping off my shoulder. For use as a shoulder bag you really need to replace the strap with a wide, non-slip strap. Even with a wide strap the bag doesn't really hang well, compared to my old, flexible Domke bags. On a couple of long day hikes I found it clumsy and difficult to use and to hang on to.

Still, for the money it's hard to beat. I have a huge Lowepro case for traveling with a lot of gear, and I'm getting a small Lowepro backpack for hikes, but for short trips in the car or scooter, this case still has a lot of utility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bag, September 17, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I absolutely loved this bag, it is perfect formy Nikon SLR. It is very sturdy, specially the bottom. The inside is the best part of it, it has a "suspension system" that virtually keeps your camera "floating" inside. this means that the lens does not touch the bottom and neither the sides of the camera. AND the only part that is actually touched (the screen of the camera) is protected by a memory foam pad.
My only complaint are the side compartments. The extra lenses fit very tight inside and they go in with a little bit of difficulty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Compact Bag, June 21, 2011
The SLRC-202 camera bag is a nice, compact bag to store equipment and travel lean. It holds my D5100 with 55-200mm attached, 18-55mm lens, battery charger, shoulder strap, Giottos AA1920 Rocket Air Blaster Small (Black), LensPen, and a few other small accessories. I should be able to fit my 35mm f/1.8G AF-S lens as well, once received. However, if I had one of the small lens attached to camera and 55-200mm stored, I don't know where I'd put the 3rd lens.

The hammock system works great, as the D5100 w/ 55-200mm lens attached measures roughly 6 1/2 inches in length. It leaves about 3/4 inch below lens to inside bottom of bag and about 1/2 inch from back of D5100 body to top of bag...meaning, you could probably fit a larger camera body with ease. You may also be able to fit it with a longer lens (such as 55-300mm), but it would probably be a tight fit with the 55-300mm lens touching the bottom of the bag, defeating the primary purpose of the hammock system.

This bag was hanging on wall while doing review and I accidentally knocked it off the wall hook when measuring for this review! With the top flap open (camera exposed), the bag landed on its base and camera stayed contained in hammock system. What great protection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, January 14, 2010
I was nervous about buying this site unseen. Should I go with the medium or the large? I have a Canon XSi. It easily fits in the main section - with the standard lens. My zoom lens [55-250mm] fits in one of the side compartments. I was nervous about this part, but was really happy with the fit. The other side compartment swallows up the battery charger, small tripod and lens filters. I don't even use the front pouch.
One thing to point out. This is a pretty big bag [IMO]. I was debating going with the large or the medium and am very glad I bought this one. If you plan to carry only one or two extra lenses and have a camera similar in size to mine, go with this bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but Very Small!, April 21, 2011
P. Smith (Oklahoma City, OK USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great little camera bag, well designed and well built. However, it is much smaller
than it looks on screen. It's a tight fit for my Nikon D7000 with 18-105 lens, maybe a little
too tight. Same thing on the side pocket that holds my 55-200 zoom. I wish now I had gone
with SLRC-203 instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, performs poorly., November 16, 2012
AJ*Mee (Hollywood, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Shoulder strap loop broke on the third or fourth day I used it. I love the suspension hammock and formed bottom but when the loop broke my $2000 camera dropped to the concrete sidewalk. Luckily all that broke was a lens cap and the Lens hood on my 300mm zoom. Not what you want when you buy a Camera Bag for a nice dSLR. If this had a secure metal strap loop I'd buy it in a second but the present one-stitch cloth strap loop was designed by a cheap, penny-pinching bean counter or an imbecile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for and great value, May 30, 2010
It holds and protects my Canon T1i perfectly with that hammock system. It holds the battery charger and cord, couple of SD cards and best of all I can store my 55-250mm lens attached with no problems with this bag. I store the kit lens 18-55 on one of the side pockets. Im a casual shooter and this bag makes my small setup portable and light. Great value and exactly what i was looking for.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's smaller than you think, March 19, 2012
Amazon Customer (Ponca City, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This is a really nice, well built and designed bag. But it's too small for me and I'm returning it. I've got a Canon Rebel T2i/550d and the 18-135mm zoom lens. This setup will fit in the bag, and hang in the hammock, it's a close fit across the top. But when I put a hood on the lens the hammock becomes unused and the bag is pretty tight to close with not much room to spare; I could remove the lens hood for a perfect fit, but then there's no place in the bag to fit the hood. The front and rear pockets are very small, and won't even fit the manual. I really want to like this bag, especially because of the rubber bottom, but I think I'll have to step up to the large.

Case Logic SLRC-202 Medium SLR Camera Bag (Black)
$59.99 $34.09