Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on October 30, 2009
I like this bag a lot and it has become my everyday camera bag. It is well constructed, light weight, strong material and quality zippers, spacious, and in particular the hammock design in the main compartment keeps the camera suspended, providing extra protection if bag is dropped. The bottom itself is thick for additional protection and is very stable. The strap is long so I can wear it either on my shoulder or across my body comfortably. My other bag which is a back-pack design I now primarily use for times that require long hikes. Comparing the two design, I feel this Caselogic bag offers easier access. Whereas the back-pack provides better weight-distribution when carried on both shoulders.
My only caution for interested buyers is to be careful when selecting between the Case Logic SLRC 202 and 203 for proper size. The latter, which is the content of this review, is in my opinion much more spacious after trying both on for size. I actually ordered the 202 (medium) bag first and found the main compartment interior a little snug for my D90 with kit lens and after-market thick strap, while the side pockets too tight for mid or larger sized lenses. For reference, I have a Tokina 11-16 ultrawide and it does NOT fit in the side pockets when the camera is also housed in the main (on the 202). On the other hand, the 203 side pockets are deep & wide and the zippers go all the way down front to back (NoDrop tm), giving great access. The larger bag looks barely bigger than the medium one and yet it still weighs nothing. When loaded with the camera, a flash and 3 lenses, it feels supremely capable for the job. I have not done any measuring, but I doubt a nikon or canon 70-200 2.8 will fit in the side pockets or the main when connected to the body. Finally 203 can carry a tripod.
A strong yet light bag. Highly recommend.
--------------
It's now Oct 2010 the bag is in great condition - like new. I use it all the time and now occasionally attach a tripod/monopod to it. Solid bag.
77 comments|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2010
This bag, the SLRC-203 is well built. Good quality and all. Having owned a previous Caselogic case, the SLRC2, I chose this case because it seemed similar. I was very happy with the old case, but I upgraded from a small Nikon D40x to a larger Canon 7D.

This case fits the larger camera just fine with a large lens on the body and two lenses on either side in the pockets. Space is not really an issue.

The disappointing areas of the SLRC-203 are these (esp. compared to the SLRC2):

1. The side lens pockets have one zipper slider each that runs all the way up and over the case. This allows the pockets to open wide for big lenses, but it means that you have to almost completely unzip it to remove a lens. Compare this to the zipper on the Caselogic SLRC2 or SLRC-202 which is around the top. It is possible to leave the zipper unzipped on the SLRC2 and SLRC-202 and not have to worry about the lens falling out. With this case, unless the zipper is completely zipped down, you run a little risk of losing the lens. Also, if you store a tripod on the front (which is what the front flap is designed for) then the tripod will block your access to the lens pouch zippers... another annoying design flaw. Two zipper sliders per zipper would have been much nicer.

2. The top handle is attached to the top flap, so unless you have the zipper completely zipped you cannot/should not carry the case by the top handle. The SLRC2 case in comparison has two split handles on the top which can be grasped together regardless of whether the top flap is zipped. This comes in handy when you need to frequently access the contents of bag and are moving it around alot. With the SLRC-203, if the top is unzipped and you hold it by the handle, the flap will open and you could lose some stuff.

Those are the two worst parts of an otherwise great bag. Unfortunately, the SLRC2 (my old case) is too small for my Canon 7D and lenses, but there are design features I like more about that case as compared to this item, the SLRC-203.
on January 9, 2011
I bought this case because of the stat sheet and reviews which said it could hold 4 lenses. In fact it will hold four lenses so long as they are the contact variety. This is called the "large" size case as contrasted with the medium one from the same manufacturer. Yes, it's "large" if you use the same ruler that Jenny Craig does when she measures the portions in her frozen dinners. In fact, it's about the size of an oversized lunch pail. All that said, this is a good product for what it is; a safe and protective slr camera case. Good cameras no longer come with hard shell cases as they did in days past and if you're looking to make up for that deficiency, this is a good product for you. Rather than using old time leather as a shock absorber, this new tech case uses a cutout hammock assembly (think, tightee-whitee) that nicely safeguards a camera with an attached lens from dents and damage. I use a canon 20d and this case securely holds it along with an attached 10-22 wide angle lens. I wouldn't recommend using it with any longer lens attached as it will scrape the bottom of the bag and defeat the whole design architecture. At most, you can fit one other lens in a side pocket, but I don't feel comfortable muffin topping an expensive lens into a lightly padded pocket which can only be closed by straining the zipper like calvin klein's jeans. Still, I'm keeping the case as I'll use it, no doubt. It's great for daytrips where you know what you'll be using your camera for and can plan ahead. If you're looking for an actual gear case or portable studio buy a slingshot 302.
55 comments|33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2010
I second pretty much everything the previous reviewer said and, indeed, bought this larger of two bags on his advice. I'm glad I did. Let me add a few numbers. It holds (in the sling) my Nikon D90 which is 5" wide, 4"high, and 2" deep with a 3" diam., 5" long lens attached. Since this lens is a 18-270 I don't carry other lenses so can't comment on space for them. There is space in various compartments for the charger and 2 extra batteries, 5 or 6 77mm filters and a lens hood, carrying strap, a SB400 flash, extra SD cards, and (just in case) a Nikon Coolpix P50. I tried for the kitchen sink but it would not quite fit.
The case itself appears to be quite sturdy but also very light in weight. The hard molded base is quite nice as it keeps the bag upright at all times and would be wonderful if you had to set it down in a mud puddle (up to 1" deep only).
A really well designed unit though, it is, as you no doubt already noticed, a tad expensive. In this case, I think it is well worth the price!
on June 20, 2014
I have tried many different camera bags (we're a two DSLR family), including a Case Logic SLRC-205 SLR Camera Sling (which I love, but it isn't big enough), and a full-on backpack (which I hate, because one person gets to carry all the weight of the two cameras, lenses, and other assorted items). I saw this Case Logic SLRC-203 (and 202), and after watching the video, I figured it would be just what I needed.

Well, for the Canon EOS Rebel T3i with Sigma 18-250mm lens my wife uses, the SLRC-202 provides more than enough room. For some reason, the SLRC-203, which is physically larger, can barely contain my Canon EOS 6D with EF 24-105mm lens, and BG-E13 battery grip in the center compartment. I wish it was possible to lower the sling by just a half inch, or to make the top zippered flap a bit looser, to accommodate this setup. Yes, I did move the sling's velcro attachment lower, but it didn't provide the relief I had hoped it would.

I packed both the 202 and 203 tonight, and wasn't very amused by how little room there is in these. Tomorrow we go on our first photo shoot with these bags, and hopefully things will go well.

I'm planning on picking up two more lenses for the 6D: EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM, and EF 16-35 f/4 IS USM. I don't know if I will be able to get them both in this case. Hopefully so.

Anyway, if you're reading this review, and you use an APS-C or full frame DSLR but don't use a battery grip, you should be ok. I've just gotten used to the extra shooting time and features my battery grip gives me, and wouldn't want to leave it at home.
review image
on April 4, 2011
I saw this bag at an expensive retail store and decided it was 'the one'. Even though I'm a Tamrac / Lowe fam, I really liked this bag. I ordered on Amazon due to their great pricing and service. I really like the handle on the top, and the camera suspension system. I was able to fit my Canon 50D with battery grip and a 17-55 2.8 lens directly downward in the main bag area, along with adding an 80-200 f/4 Canon USM telephoto. There was also room for other items in the main area (hoods etc). Stuck the 430EZ flash in one of the side pockets. Also threw in a Sony Bloggie, various chargers and extra batts into the other side pocket. Also has nice protected zipper pockets for your memory chips. The protected bottom hard shell is great for rugged travel. At various times I would put the bag on the ground while I was shooting and moving around a bit and I would just scoot the bag with my foot to my changing positions to keep it nearby. With the durable bottom, it doesn't put any wear on the bag and it doesn't collect dirt.
VINE VOICEon June 21, 2010
Read my review of the little brother to this bag, the SLRC-202. This bag has all the good properties of its little brother, plus a little more in the central compartment that allows me to store my SB-800 flash.

The one thing that I find disappointing about this bag is the side pockets. They taper down toward the bottom so that they have a narrow base. I think this was done to maintain the overall top-wide narrow bottom shape. But aesthetics should not win out over function. The base of the side pockets is narrow enough so that lenses do not fit well in them. They fit - they just don't fit well. The generous space at the top of the side pockets should have been maintained all the way to the bottom. That would make this a perfect bag. Caselogic, are you listening?
on June 1, 2011
I love this bag! It is extremely well made, holds my Nikon D3100 and lenses (18-55, 70-300 and 35 prime) plus my battery charger, lens hoods, lenspen, microfiber cloth and other small items. The bag is not as big as I thought it would be, but since it holds all my camera equipment I am delighted. Nice solid base and the sling system for protecting the camera is brilliant. Highly recommended.
on May 11, 2012
This is a fantastic bag. It's small, carries well, and fits a moderately sized zoom and a prime or two, along with a mic, a couple of filters, and a couple of granola bars to boot. I very much like the hammock idea, it works surprisingly well. I have even fit a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 in one side, but it was a tight fit. I wouldn't recommend this bag if you want to carry a lens that size regularly.

For general purpose outings with a couple of lenses and even a monopod, I'm extremely pleased with this bag.

I did replace the strap with a high quality strap from SFBags. The strap it comes with is nothing to write home about.

I also hang a water bottle from it, using a small carabiner latched to the bag's strap loop. Works well.
on July 30, 2013
I purchased the Case Logic SLRC-203 Large SLR Camera Bag because I also own the SLRC-202 Medium SLR bag that I have also reviewed and like it very much. I use the medium bag with a (small body) Nikon D3100, a couple of lenses, full size flash, charger and various small accessories.

The Case Logic SLRC-203 Large SLR Camera Bag carries my Nikon D5100 w/grip and attached Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR (hood reversed) lens, a Nikon 35mm 1.8 prime and 18-105 zoom lenses, full size flash, charger and numerous small accessories. This camera/lens combo comes in at a serious length of 9" which just fits the large bag.

The lens does rest on the bag bottom which other reviewers have expressed concern about. I feel the hard molded bottom of the Case Logic bag may actually provide better protection for the lens as it is padded on the inside. Some popular bags that would hold this camera/lens combo include the Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW, and expandable bags VANGUARD UP-Rise II 16Z and Think Tank Digital Holster 20 V2.0. These bags are ideal when you don't want to carry much more than the camera (you can't - no room) however none of them have a hard bottom. Your lens is protected by just some lightly padded nylon. I think if you banged or dropped you camera in those bags the lens will get damaged.

The Case Logic Large bag (like the medium) is very well made and can hold a bunch of stuff including a larger camera/lens combo. There two things that I would like to see changed on this bag. (1) If you have the bag facing you the way the main compartment opens (to me anyway) the zippers for the side compartments are on the wrong side. You have to reach behind the bag (where you cannot see) to open the zippers. I know, big deal--but I would reverse the zipper direction. (2) The front of the bag has a large Velcro closure said to hold a tripod. This is a waste of a large piece of bag Real Estate. There is a small zippered pouch behind the Velcro closure, however that area should really be a large pouch. How many people are going to carry a tripod there? It would have to be a pretty small one. My 4-section tripod folds to 19" and will not fit there. I would have much preferred a storage area to the Velcro "flap".

In all, you just cannot beat these Case Logic SLR bags for the price. The molded bottom allows you to put the bag down in a moist area with no concerns. It will not tip over and the contents will stay dry. Are Case Logic SLR bags for a pro's kit? No, but they will work very well to carry a consumers' gear from here to there.