Case Logic SLRC-205 SLR Camera Sling (Black)
Price:$38.70 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 19, 2009
Verified Purchase
After some extensive research and try-ons, Case Logic SLRC-205 Camera Sling Bag is my current favorite bag to carry my small DSLR (Olympus E-620) and two lenses (one attached to the body).

Case Logic must have a great design team that cares. They seem to put a lot of attention on the design that not only looks good, but also very utilitarian. They keep improving the holder for the camera body with a lens attached in their camera back, the latest hammock design exhibits that. It's a very simple design that will suit various camera configuration. Such effort deserve to be praised.

It's a pleasure to carry this bag. Weight distribution of a sling bag is crucial, as the load is stressed on one shoulder (in this case, left, and there's no right shoulder option as noted by another reviewer). However, Case Logic SLRC-205 feels like feather when I put it on me with the bag fully loaded (~5 lbs. of equipment).

In the main compartment, I have put an Olympus E-620 (around the size of Canon XSi/T1i) with Zuiko 14-45mm II (3.5" long, 3" diam.) attached with hood reversed. It still has some room at the bottom to store my 50mm macro lens if desired. However, I squeezed my Giottos large rocket Blower Giottos in. It's a tight fit for that configuration. A larger camera body may have a hard time getting in without removing the neck strap. I had the quick release plate of my tripod attached to the bottom of the camera and it's a tight fit, but no problem. There is no problem in term of horizontal space.

In the extra lens pocket I was able to put a Zuiko 50-200mm in (6 1/4" long, 3.5" diam.) with its gigantic hood reversed and tripod holder attached, which makes it around 5 1/4" wide, and the pocket still has some room to spare. The nice little touch about that pocket is it has an elastic band near the bottom. I forgot to zip the bag up once, after I changed my lens, and that elastic band held the lens closer to the bag, saved my precious lens from an irreversible disaster (though a smaller lens might have felt through, so don't bet your life on it, but it's a nice contingency design).

There is also a spare pocket for small things like memory cards, battery and trinkets (I also put lens cleaning pens inside). It is more accessible than the side pocket, which is blocked by the tripod holder. My other gripe about that side pocket is it's not deep enough for a standard novel-size camera manual. I just wish there is one non-flat type pocket dedicated for larger item such as the rocket blower, and some pen holders for my lens pens. A cellphone/iPod holder on the shoulder strap would be a nice touch.

There is a filter pocket! I love the design team. They were able to squeeze so many features in a compact bag, and all except the side pocket mentioned are readily accessible when you swing the back to the front, without having to take the bag off (which is the shortcoming of a backpack style bag). The two filter nets inside it hold 67mm filters fine, though the smaller one is better suited for a 58mm filter.

The tripod holder is wonderful. I have a full-size aluminum tripod (Dolica 62" Proline with Ballhead) retracted and stored in its dedicated tripod bag. Using the two Velcro closure, the tripod was piggybacked onto the back and doesn't shift around. The tripod is longer than the sling so I won't carry a tripod that way to a crowded place. However it's nice to free your hand if you're hiking.

The shoulder strap is very comfortable and well padded. The length control is a bit weird. Instead of that plastic thing you would loop around twice, you pull the extra strap to the desired length and then roll it up like an omelet, then fasten it with a Velcro strap. I prefer the traditional plastic loop (when done right, the loop is actually more secure).

The interior padding is okay only. It's not super thick, but should be okay for minor impact. The part I'm more worried about is the spare lens pocket, as it's more exposed. Main compartment should endure concoction more. The interior material is made of high quality nylon. It feels smooth and I don't believe it'll scratch the equipment (just don't rub the lens glass with it).

There are handles tactically placed. I don't feel the content will fall out when using them. While the zippers secure the bags well, but the main compartment's zipper could be smoother when zipped around the corner.

Minor gripe. Though Case Logic team deserves the recognition, but I wish the logo can be a little more low profile. It's not gigantic or hideous, but when I see the sunshine logo, I know who made the bag already. The way it is put now, it looks like a camera bag, which is not something I like to flaunt about (i.e., rob me!). I also wish the side pocket and the main compartment have a more joint look, so it looks more like a regular sling bag. As of now, the main compartment looks alarmingly like a camera holster.... A discreet, understated design is the best attention grabber.

Overall, it's a very well-designed bag for a small DSLR with two lenses. Importantly, it is in a compact design with good ergonomics and holds all the crucial items. I just wish Case Logic design team could add one more pocket for lens cleaning supply, or perhaps one pocket for iPod/cellphone on the shoulder strap. Case Logic team deserves the praise.

Pros:
- Holds many gears in a small package
- Good built material
- Holds weight but doesn't weigh down
- Well thought-out design perks
- Very accessible pockets
- Excellent value

Cons:
- Needs one more pocket for non-flat items
- Exterior design could be slightly more discreet
- No pocket for camera manual
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Hi Everyone,

So, my wife and I are wedding photographers. We've been looking for a good bag for quite a while to carry our camera & lenses. We've checked out the other major brands (including crumpler) and many of the more popular choices ... and then as came across this one (the case logic SLR sling).

I have to say, we really love it. So, to point out a few good things:

1 - It looks pretty good and doesn't scream 'camera in here!' (good when traveling)

2 - It can easily hold 3 lenses at a time, including the Canon 70-200 2.8L IS. The 70-200 can actually fit in the main compartment with another smaller lens (like the 135 f2 or the 100mm 2.8 macro) or it can fit alone in the extra top compartment - with the hood on backwards! To clarify even more, the 135 + 70-200 with hoods on can fit in the main compartment without a problem (it is tight though, but tight is good). Oh, one last note here - it can hold 4 lenses if packing smartly - 70-200 + 135 in main compartment and 14mm 2.8L + 50mm 1.2L in the top compartment.

3 - It works as intended. The sling capability (the ability to bring it to your front) is invaluable. It makes is -very- easy to get out the lens you want without taking off the pack AND it can make you feel secure in areas where you want to keep an eye out for pickpockets.

4 - The quick release clip on the front is just great - hands down, great. If you are just getting to a location, an event is about to happen, you can quickly release the pack, place it on the ground, and be shooting within seconds.

5 - The material is very nice and breathable.

6 - The extra small compartments for cards, etc, are very handy. We found ourselves putting keys/memory cards up front and putting more sensitive items behind the tripod strap (which works very well).

Hands down, we'd recommend this.

Downside: We had ours altered as we are too small for it to fit. We just had the strap moved up where it connects over the chest. Fits like a charm now. Cost us all of $7.

Quick last note - for nearly any lens combination, the bag could fit at least three. Such as the 24-70 2.8L + 85 1.2L. We found ourselves putting one lens below the camera holder/sling inside and one above so that they did not hit each other. And then we'd just have 1-2 lenses in the extra compartment. If you want to store your camera in the bag, a 5D Mk II + 24-70, 85 1.2, 100 2.8, 135 2.0, ... etc fit in the middle compartment without a problem. In fact, we could fit the 5D Mk II + 24-70 (hood backwards) in the middle compartment (not using the internal sling type device) and still have room to put a 580 EX II flash ontop of it. The only lens that doesn't fit with the camera body attached would be the 70-200 2.8L IS or any lens of that length.

For us, we are able to carry 5 lenses, 2 580 EX II's, and a 430 EX II with radio popper stand in two bags at once.

Highly recommended - and also highly recommended to have the strap altered so that the bag fits you properly. Otherwise, it can be a waste of money unless you are 6'5".

Edit: I should say that we just got back from a 2 week trip for a destination wedding in Europe and these bags were invaluable. We kept our passport, IDs, cash & cards in the inner pocket behind the tripod strap and had no problem. In busy areas, we just slung them around for a bit more security. They were comfortable to wear the entire trip without a problem and carried all the lenses + flashes + tripod + modifiers we needed for the wedding. For just sight seeing, etc, they still held everything we needed (had room to even carry personal items with us, like water, etc).
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 10, 2009
I spent a lot of time researching sling-style DSLR cases and this is by far the best I have seen. I've owned one for a few months already and I have no complaints.

Comfort - adjustable, padded strap allows the bag to wrap around your torso for a comfortable fit. Sometimes I even forget that it's there. I cannot say the same for the boxy-style camera bags, they just feel out of palce.

Storage - The main compartment has the hammock suspension system, which I think offers good restraint and easy access to your camera: just unzip the top cover and reach for the camera. The compartment is deep enough to fit a super-tele lens attached to the body, or an attached medium sized prime with room at the bottom for another lens. Another compartment has room for two more medium sized lenses or a lens and a charger. A few more zippered pockets offer room for small gadgets like wireless remote control, USB card reader, some filters, lens cleaning gear.

Protection - there's enough padding to keep your toys safe, though I wouldn't get on crowded bus with it.

Style - This is the only case I have seen that actually looks great, and not really like a camera bag - bonus points for that; last thing you want is to advertise your stash of expensive toys.

Worth mentioning - a hook and loop tripod holder; pretty useful for a light tripod, though the bag will get heavy if you're going on a long hike. Build quality is good, feels like money worth spending.

Kudos to the designer of this case.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 11, 2009
Verified Purchase
I purchased this bag because I was looking for a functional single strap sling bag that would allow me access to my Canon 40d easily and on the go. I got to go to Paris, FR on a biz trip and really hated the bag that I had. Most of the bags I've seen for traveling are either way too big for the type of shooting I do or just plain ugly and scream out "CAMERA BAG!!!" Not only does this bag look good, it was EXTREMELY functional. With a quick slide around the body you could get into the camera compartment easily and it has enough storage for my needs. I carried the camera with a 28-135mm attached (I think you could use up to a 70-300 if you wanted although it might be a bit tight), an 18-55mm in the upper compartment, along with a spare flash card, my usb cable, wall charger and a French phrase book (pocket sized)it packed well. The construction of the bag seems rugged enough (I plan to use it for hiking as well) and the padding and hammock system seem very good at protecting the camera. I have recommended this bag to several family members and I intend to order 3 more to give as gifts :-) No, I don't work for Case Logic, but when I find something of good quality that functions as advertised, I do think it's important to share that info. I don't think you'll be disappointed with this bag particularly for lots of walking and site seeing. As long as you're not some kind of pro who has to have more than 2 lenses and all kinds of gadgets you should be good to go. There is a flap on the outside to carry a tripod around and I do believe it would work, as I put my umbrella in it to see how that would go...no problems. Nice job Case Logic :-)
on August 15, 2011
Verified Purchase
Recently my wife and I were traveling abroad for 3 weeks and I needed a bag to carry some of my camera equipment around with me. I didn't want a full on backpack and a fanny pack was out of the questions. Shoulder bags just looked silly for some reason and I found this bag and the Incase DSLR Sling Pack in Black CL58032. I ordered both as I felt like I needed to see them in person to really decide.

They both go on the same way (one should strap that goes on across your body) and fit just fine. The incase bag was much larger and looked like it would be holding expensive things inside. One of the things I wanted was for this bag to be pretty unassuming - I didn't want to announce to everyone I have a few thousand dollars of camera equipment inside. Both bags were also very well built.

The case logic bag has a very breathable material on the back which made it very comfortable to wear for 10 hours straight when walking around and hiking. To get access to the camera you don't have to take the bag off, it just slides around and opens up to the camera 'hammock' which is great. The two side pockets are also very easy to get to in this position and I keep an extra lens or two in there along with batteries and memory cards. When you are just walking around you also have access to a small pocket in the strap which I keep a cloth in.

To give you an idea of what I can fit in this, I usually carried:
Nikon d5100
WhiBal card
Cleaning brush
Cleaning cloth
Sometimes a gorilla tripod

I don't think there was ever a time where I wished it was bigger or smaller - it always seemed to be the perfect size for what I needed.

I ended up returning the incase bag and keeping this one. If you need something slightly larger then the incase may be for you.

Highly recommended.
on September 12, 2009
Verified Purchase
I spent days looking for a sling bag before I bought this one. I travel light, but have a Canon 5D, plus a 28-135mm lens and a 70-300mm telephoto lens. I wanted a sling pack to slide my small amount of other personal stuff into while traveling in (potentially shady) areas (and non-shady ones).

Verdict: I love this bag. It is so awesome. The hammock is so cool. But there are some other things to consider:

1. It is going to be very annoying to constantly stop, slide the bag around and take photos. The bag needs some breaking in at the beginning; it is very stiff (and that is a GOOD thing). If buying it for a vacation, take it out for a romp BEFORE your trip to soften it up and get used to the maneuvers required to load and unload your camera. I only say that because it has an usual design.

2. The height of my 5D (from the bottom, set down, to the top near where the flash module would hook into) seems uncomfortable fit-wise into the hammock compartment. I am not sure if an EOS 1- or 5D with one of those battery pack grippers would be able to fit into this compartment. My 5d JUST fits. However, a camera with a full telephoto lens might fit in here without disassembly. There is a lot of space in the hammock for a longer lens than my 28-135mm lens.

3. In order to use this, it is really optimal to remove any other protection: ie, camera armor (which I had) and the strap. To keep the strap on while storing the camera in the bag is to add serious and repetitive frustration to your life when you unload- and load the camera back into the bag. There is just not space for the strap in the compartment.

4. There is limited space for much else if you have a telephoto & default lens. The small side pocket has space for my mini tripod, my folded strap and a few lens caps. The flat pocket over the camera hammock fits something flat, like a manual and some papers or whatever. There are a few other nooks and crannies but don't expect this to double as a backpack for personal items if you have a lot of stuff. It will fit a camera, a manual, a mini tripod, some other various doo-dads, 2 lenses (one on, one off), and a small variety of whatever else.

Regardless of the above items, I think this is a fantastic bag and is totally worth the money. I hope it lasts long enough to carry my camera to the Southwestern USA, Denmark, Norway, Bermuda and throughout my winter of snowshoeing and winter sports! The padding is awesome and it is very sturdy. When this bag dies, I hope I can buy another one. Perfect for an on-the-go photographer.
on March 6, 2010
Verified Purchase
I'm a fan of Lowepro but Caselogic really beat them with this one, at least in the sling category. Unfortunately this one can only compete with the 100AW series because of its size. The Caselogic's 205 is only slightly bigger than Lowepro's smallest. (Again the 100AW)

Here are the reasons why.
Feels stronger, the fabric the memory cushions and even the wide band just feel better around your body.
The interior color, you just have to love that bright yellow, it almost seems as it is lit in the inside.
It has a 'suspension' system consisting of a sheet of material that holds your camera within the inside of the bag, preventing it from touching the bottom, unless you have a long lens. I feels at bit flimsy but it feels good to know you have it.
Aesthetically, is just looks cooler than any of the Lowepro's up to date. This thing looks beautiful.
With the two extra handles and the 4 extra compartments on the outside, it is just real well thought out.

I just got it today and I cant wait to get it out on the field. I think I'll sleep next to it tonight. LOL

Beautiful bag. And cheaper too!!!

The two categories where I think the Lowepro's is better are that the inside compartment can be divided to you fit your equipment, the Caselogic's has 1 large compartment. And the Lowepro's comes with a nice weather cover that can protect it against the rain. I have never had to use it though, but once it did help me protect my camera from dust at a rodeo. Other than these two features of the lowepros, Caselogic is better in everyother way.

I forgot to mention the tripod holder, another plus.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 10, 2012
Verified Purchase
When I received this case I was excited, it was designed just the way I wanted and appeared to be the perfect case for a DSLR and an extra lens. But while the design was wonderful, the craftsmanship is poor. Shortly after receiving it I left for a trip to Italy. On the second day the handle began to fray and separate from the case. By the end of the trip it was attached by only a few threads. In addition zippers would slip open, I almost lost a lens in the subway in Rome. While a good design, it is poorly executed. I am returning the product.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 7, 2012
Verified Purchase
I like this bag! After months of looking for a small sling bag for my Canon T2i with two "kit" lenses, I kept coming back to the SLRC-205. I was looking for a bag to travel light with only the Canon kit and a few accessories and with the main compartment sufficiently deep to carry the longer lens mounted (18-250mm EFS, 6.9" total depth w/body). The 205 appeared to be the most compact sling that would fulfill that requirement. The advantage of slings over backpacks is access to your camera without removing the bag. The disadvantage is that weight is borne by one shoulder, making slings less comfortable for heavy loads. Years ago I used a padded backpack for my heavy, film SLR system and found that I seldom used it in the field because of inconvenient access and that there often was no dry place to set it down. I increasingly preferred to select a few items to carry in a much smaller shoulder bag. A sling seems a better compromise.

I was, however, hesitant to buy the SLRC-205 because the Case Logic slings, unlike most others on the market, are "left-handed", i.e. they ride over the right hip making it easiest to reach for the camera with the left hand, as depicted in one of Case Logic's own promotional photos. Unfortunately, all cameras that I know of have right-hand grips and are difficult to grip from the left. The T2i is virtually impossible to grip by the left side, which is shallow, smooth and sloped and offers only the lens release button as a finger hold. In 50 years of photography, I have used shoulder bags of various sizes, always carried on my left side and often slung over my right shoulder with the bag pushed to the back while hiking, somewhat like a sling, although not as comfortable. Ultimately, I decided to try to adapt to a "wrong-handed" sling bag because the desirable characteristics of the SLRC-205 seem unique. After using the 205, I find the left-handed design is not a showstopper, but it does make camera access more awkward than need be, requiring that the bag be rotated fully to the front, which places the top at approximately nipple height. In this position the camera may be reached with the right hand, albeit with an awkwardly raised right elbow. If the bag design were opposite hand, you would not need to rotate as far and could reach across with the right hand as depicted in reverse in the Case Logic photo, avoiding the raised elbow salute.

One reviewer commented that the SLRC-205 was little more than a SLR holster with an attached storage bag - exactly what I had been looking for, but the 205 is more than that. The well-designed shoulder strap & hip pad fit comfortably and the waist strap helps to hold it in position. The strap padding extends under the buckle and belt attachments keeping hard parts away from skin. The bag resides in the hollow of the lower back and projects only about 6" from your body. That low profile coupled with a comparatively wide footprint and strap prevents the bag from twisting as you move and distributes the load well. The contents are readily accessible by disconnecting the waist belt and sliding the bag to the front, facilitated by well placed handles. The hammock holds the camera body securely and my lenses, with hoods attached, pass easily through the cutout. This hammock is a particularly attractive feature of the Case Logic bags as it suspends the camera so that weight is not borne by the lens front element. This is particularly important for the Canon kit (and other) lenses that have a moveable/rotating front element for focusing, which are relatively delicate and the focusing mechanism easily damaged if auto-focus is not disengaged and the front element fully retracted before stowing.

The main compartment is shaped like a SLR holster and is deep enough to accommodate a camera + lens total of about 8.5". The height is about 4.5", not enough for a battery grip, which would be inconsistent with light travel anyway, but adequate to accommodate an attached wrist strap with bottom plate (Opteka). The width (at top) of about 8" leaves ample room to slide a camera strap down one side with space left on the other for the wrist strap. Unfortunately, only soft items can be stowed with the camera in this space since there are no separators. The utility of the extra space could be improved if the hammock were attached on both sides with Velcro, allowing you to position the camera fully to one side, and if a separator were provided, but that's nitpicking.

The secondary compartment is an irregular wedge, difficult to dimension accurately but suffice it to say that a lens of about 8.5" long and 3.5-4" diameter should fit. I can fit (snugly) my 55-250mm (in a lens bag) along with a large flash unit (Vivitar 285), with room for the flash remote sensor housing and cable. The lens shade will also fit if placed over the lens bag. There are no pockets or separators in this compartment so if multiple items are stowed, they should be in lens bags or otherwise separated.

There are three external pockets: one under the tripod flap which is trapezoidal, about 6" deep, 7" wide at the top and 4.5" wide at the bottom and suitable for thin items (e.g. gray card, color chart, manual etc.); a 7" x 2.75" pocket on the side of the main compartment that includes two mesh holders suitable for memory cards and which fits my 1" thick PDA phone (see photo); a compartment on the hip pad that covers the irregularly shaped area between the hip handle and the strap attachments, which is a handy repository for lens caps or a small (flip) cell phone. This last compartment is curious since the zipper does not encompass the entire length of the compartment, leaving the forward portion nearly useless. If the zipper were merely moved about 1.5" toward the front, the compartment would be effectively much larger.

The space between the Main compartment and the handle on the hip pad would seem to be prime real estate due to its low position and ready access, but it is unused. It is a roughly triangular area of about 15 sq in. I recognize that this is an area that must remain flexible but it would be nice if it at least had a mesh pocket or straps to mount a small lens pouch, or other accessory. This is a minor gripe, but the bag is so good that minor deficiencies stand out.

As comfortable and innocuous as the bag is when worn, it is somewhat ungainly when off the body, due to the wide shoulder strap and irregularly shaped hip pad that make it so comfortable to wear. It is obviously optimized for wearing, not carrying, but I've found that if the shoulder strap is tucked under the tripod flaps and folded back to reconnect with the hip pad strap wrapped behind the main compartment (see photos), it is quite manageable and reasonably compact to carry by the handle atop the main compartment. I can't speak to the efficacy of the tripod flaps/strap for their intended purpose since my tripod is too large and heavy, but a compact mono-pod (Manfroto) stows nicely and is innocuous to carry.

The quality of materials and workmanship appears high and I've not found any loose threads or missed stitches. I expect it to last a long time.

If you need to carry the "kitchen sink" on every outing, there are more capacious bags available, but if you want to carry the photographic essentials in comfort and readily accessible, the SLRC-205 is a great choice, I only wish there was a right-handed version. I do like this bag!
review image review image review image
on February 12, 2010
Verified Purchase
I use this for a Nikon D90 and this sling bag is fantastic. The design is convenient and comfortable. One complain I have is to alter the velcro because it'll catch on easily to your clothes etc. Otherwise it's perfect for traveling and the size is just right to fit roughly 2 lenses amongst other compartments for little things. It's a nice move away from the traditional camera bags and aesthetically, my opinion is that it beats anything else out on the current market. In a sea of dull, boring camera bags, this sling wins in both comfort, convenience, price, utility, and aesthetic design.