4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and Attractive Netbook Bag
Published on September 26, 2010 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for ipad. Lightweight case for netbook.
Published on November 7, 2010 by C. Schmidt

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and Attractive Netbook Bag, September 26, 2010
This review is from: Case Logic ULA-110 10.2-Inch Netbook Attaché (Gray) (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been very impressed with Case Logic products in the recent past--both in terms of quality and the remarkably low prices of their products. We purchased two laptop bags--a backpack and a messenger bag--made by Case Logic several months ago. Both have proven exceptionally well designed and durable. So, when I saw this item, I quickly ordered it. I got this for my wife who uses an HP Mini w/ a 10.1 inch screen. When I ordered it I was expecting more of a case, in which her netbook fit snugly. When it arrived, I realized it was more of a shoulder bag that can fit a netbook and more. At first, we were a little disappointed because we were looking at it only as a netbook bag. The netbook fit nicely in terms of height and length. It was depth/thickness that was the issue we had; the bag could actually fit two netbooks it is so wide.

It was only a few days later when my wife actually used the bag for a flight that we realized it was perfect for her needs. It turns out sliding in a book (or two) along with the netbook makes for a snug and secure fit. This turns out to be a big advantage. Before, she put her netbook in a cover and put both in a larger bag that also carried her reading material and a few other things. Now, everything can just slip everything into this light bag. The pocket on the outside is perfect for carrying the power cable for the netbook, a USB thumb drive, and a few pens. Basically, my wife is able to carry everything she needs in a much smaller bag than before. So, in actuality, this bag turns out to do far more than I expected.

The front has some weirdly (seemingly random) angled slits cut into it that expand to show color when the outer pocket is full. These at first seemed odd but my wife really likes them. One other cool feature is velcro straps on the side of the bag that allow you to secure the strap if you want to use this without (or only part of) the shoulder strap (or convert the shoulder strap to more of a handle). In conclusion, if you are simply looking for a sleeve to protect a netbook, this may not be it. If you are looking for a bag to protect and transport your netbook (along with a book or two, power supply, and other things), this is an excellent choice.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for ipad. Lightweight case for netbook., November 7, 2010
C. Schmidt (Colorado Mountains) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this "attache" thinking it sounded perfect for carrying my ipad along with a few additional items when in the car or walking around or boarding an airplane. Unfortunately, this attache is definitely not designed for an ipad. To protect my ipad during everyday use, I have it in the standard Apple ipad case (See Apple iPad Case (CASE-ZML MC361ZM/A) ). The Apple ipad case is very slim and barely adds any width around the dimensions of the ipad. However, I cannot realistically fit my ipad (using its Apple case) into this Case Logic attache. It's a very tight fit, but I can force the ipad into the attache with wiggling. However, getting it out again is very difficult. It makes the attache basically unusable for the ipad+case. And, as other reviewers have pointed out, I wouldn't want to put an ipad with no protective case into this attache. Yes, it would slide in/out a tiny bit better, but then you would be very limited as to what you could put inside the attache with the exposed screen of the ipad for fear of scratching it. The case is approximately 2" deep, so it's not supposed to be for holding only an ipad, with nothing else. I think if you had a netbook of the right size, this would be a nice sized attache for holding it and a book or other small items for your day. Just not an ipad.

As for the other features of this attache...
The description says: "The front pocket expands via color-lined expansion slits to comfortably carry power cords and other accessories". I do not agree. It is not truly an expandable pocket. It's a simple zipper opening into a non-expandable pocket on the front. So, if you had the main compartment full (with your netbook, etc), there is not a lot of room for bulky items in the front pocket. From the description, I thought the color slits would pop out to allow expansion, but, they do not do anything at all. There is simply a layer of color with the slits. Not sure what the purpose of that is, other than "looks".

On the plus side, the strap has a nice velcro system for easily making a longer shoulder strap or shorter hand strap. Also, the padding of the case is thin. This could be a plus or minus, depending on what your are looking for. To me it's a plus, as the super thick padding of many other cases uses up interior space and makes the cases heavy. But, if thick is what you are looking for, this isn't it.

So, in conclusion... Don't buy this for an ipad. If you have a netbook that is narrower than an ipad width, then this case would work for you to carry your netbook, maybe a paperback book and some other items for a day on the go. The padding is very thin, so plan for that. So, a lightweight carry-around case for a netbook.

PS - I was torn about how many stars to rate this attache. Since it's marketed for an ipad, it should get 0 stars for that blatant marketing lie. But, for those who want a lightweight case for a netbook, this may fit the bill, as long is you understand the pros and cons of what you are getting. However, the marketing description is again very misleading about the expanding front pouch. So, I decided to go with 2 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars More for a netbook, than a Kindle or iPad, October 8, 2010
Menthol Rum (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very simple case, with a side zipper pocket and minimal padding. The strap can be used over the shoulder or shortened and be more of a handle. There is plenty of space, about 2" in width, inside the bag. For a netbook, that might be fine, but for a Kindle or iPad, it's not a great fit nor is there any decent padding. I can see this as an alternative to carrying by hand, but I wouldn't recommend this as a travel case. I just don't think it would provide enough protection.

It does appear to be well made, but I think that Case Logic tried to cover too many uses in this product. I'd rather see a more snug fit and more padding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than what it looks in picture, January 23, 2012
I red lots of reviews which in my opinion are VERY misleading and out of context. Why? because this product clearly states the size and what can fit in it. My iPad2 which has a front and back cover fits perfectly fine and I have enough room to put a a small notebook inside of it. Also the front pocket is very useful and it has room for a small external hard drive, couple of pencils and sticky notes. The bag has a very good finishing and for the Price you can't find better than that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent bag but definitely not for an iPad, September 29, 2010
monkuboy (Temple City, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I sent for this case because I wanted to use it for my iPad. While it is a nice case and can come in handy for transporting things (such as a netbook or smaller electronic devices or whatever), it really isn't suited for an iPad and it makes me think whoever wrote the blurb about the product was trying to cash in on as much business as possible and attract iPad owners even though it is an ill-fitting match.

First of all, if you have any sort of protective case or covering on your iPad, that will make it too wide to fit in the case. If you place your naked iPad inside, you have to push it around to make it fit properly, making it rub all over the inside material and I am not comfortable doing that. Once inside, it takes up about 1/3 or 1/4 of the available depth of the case so it really is not a compartment that was designed with an iPad in mind. Being that your iPad is exposed, I wouldn't risk putting anything else in there with it that might scratch or mar the finish on the iPad. In other words, that extra space is pretty much useless unless you want to put a towel or other soft material inside.

Now if you want to carry something else around whose dimensions are more suited to the dimensions of the case, then this is a nicely-made carrier. The quality is good and it is sturdy (typical of Case Logic products). But I really feel it is misleading to call it an "iPad Attache."

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really for iPad - fine for netbook, October 10, 2010
Karl (Bozeman, MT USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've posted a couple of photos for my thousand words. This case, which seems well assembled, is simply too thick for an iPad. Doesn't make sense to stick a thin, stylish iPad into this bulky, unstylish bag. (When the iPad is itself in a flip case, the fit is tight around the edges - with tons of air space above it.)

Someone with a thick netbook would probably like this though. A family member's thick HP netbook fit well. The expandable outside zip pocket easily accomodates power cords, etc., and the velcro used to convert the shoulder strap to a hand strap is clever.

If you have pets, note that the fabric really attracts cat and dog hair and it doesn't easily brush off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Form over function, October 22, 2010
atmj (Rochester, NY USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had the opportunity to get this bag via the Vine program prior to receiving one I had already ordered. As I have a few friends that had ipads and no cases, I figured the one I cared less for, could be given away. Sad to say, but it's this one.

HARDWARE:
Handle design wanting:
This bag touts a unique handle design. Essentially it is a sewn on shoulder strap, that has velcro holders that allow it to be used like a briefcase handle. It takes a bit to convert it in either direction.

Main compartment, has access issues:
Since the opening to this bag is on the short end of the rectagular shape, you have less access to it, than if it were on the long end. You have to drop everything in, between it's wide straps. Then since, the zipper extends from strap to strap; this means if you have the strap over your shoulder and need to unzip the bag, you need to pry the zipper tag, out from the strap and the bag to open it. Also, if you put an ipad in it the lack of access along with tight fit would require you to set the bag down to put the ipad in it.

Secondary compartment has scratchy zipper and only one tiny pocket inside:
The other compartment is a zippered compartment on the front of the bag. It is about 3/4 the length of the ipad/netbook compartment. It has slashes in the cover of the bag that when over full make it look like it is ripping open. I guess that is stylish. This compartment has a heavy metal zipper that is rough to the touch. It scratches the back of my hand whenever I reach in to get anything. In this compartment, there is one small pocket. Maybe a double battery pack would it in this.

Padding: The padding overall is minimal to non-existant.

Color:
Gray is likely to look dirty quickly, if this is left on a floor or any area, that most people leave bags.

FIT:
The ipad in the neoprene sleeve barely fits, but only if you put it in the largest compartment. The whole bag distorts because it must be diagonally in that pocket to fit. You can add the keyboard, but the case can barely be closed, as it is.

SUMMARY:
Disappointing on many points noted above. Not sized well for the ipad and many of the design features put form over function. Unless you love the way this bag looks; I would opt for Model # VNA210 also made by Caselogic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why do I feel like the guy in the insurance commercials?, September 22, 2010
terpfan1980 "Barry" (Somewhere near Washington DC, United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Some people may remember seeing a certain insurance company commercial where the obviously put-upon guy in the relationship has to accept the fact that his wife had gotten him a "european shoulder bag" or some similar "murse" (Man/male-purse) as he somewhat nods his head in the direction of his spouse while talking to Flo, the insurance sales lady. It's a silly little commercial, and the joke itself goes back even further as an episode of Seinfeld focused on Jerry walking around with his own man-purse that Elaine had encourged him to get and use.

It was with those things in mind that I still opted to request one of these Case Logic Attache's to check out as a possible bag to carry around my iPad in. Would I really want to walk around with a purse hanging from my shoulder, or do I try the more masculine (sorry if I seem to be stereotyping here, but it just seems so natural...) approach of carrying my iPad around like I would a clip board or something similar.

I had long ago (right after buying my iPad) gotten an DMS Deluxe Leather-Like Flip Book Jacket/Folio for Apple iPad 3G (Brown) case for my own iPad. I like that case a lot as it works very well, despite now showing a little wear in areas around some of the seams. (The "pleather" on it has cracked away in a few spots.) That case works well to protect my iPad when I put it in my gym bag and carry it to work each day. It also works well for propping the iPad up when I want to watch content on it such as when I was flying on a plane, and in reality it's very easy to carry around in a manner similar to how I might carry a book. True, it doesn't let me carry other items, such as a screen wipe or cloth to get finger prints off the iPad's screen, or the camera connection accessory for the iPad and such, but given regular use of an iPad, I don't necessarily need those items to be readily available.

Still, given the chance to check out this Case Logic Attache, I figured I'd give it a shot.

As a faily inexpensive case this product does the job. It gives you room to easily slide in an iPad or average sized Netbook. As a Netbook case I imagine it would be more useful than it is (to me) as an iPad carrier, but with that said I was happy to find that I could still fairly easily slide my iPad -- in the DMS case linked above -- into this Case Logic Attache and still have plenty of room for other items to be included in the attache.

Once in the attache though, I go back to question of how I might carry around this attache. I can extend the straps and carry it as a shoulder type bag, or perhaps go across my chest in messenger type fashion (if you've seen bicycle messengers you know what I mean), or the strap can be pulled in so that you carry this attache more like a book or smaller carrier. Unfortunately if you do pull in straps in that manner you block the area of entry for inserting items in the attache.

There is a nice side pocket available for carrying devices (the tag that came on this attache notes that you can use that side pocket to carry around your "USB", apparently forgetting to have translated over the words that should follow, e.g., USB "devices or cables") and cables and such along with you, though you could also use that side pocket to carry around documents such as airline tickets, your passport or other items if you were travelling.

Realistically, my own personal preference would be for something more like this Caselogic VNA210 10.2-Inch Netbook/iPad Attache (Black) as I prefer something with a traditional carrying handles and such, more like a small brief case/attache rather than the shoulder bag look, but for those that want something more in the man-purse style, this product should fit the bill nicely.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for Your iPad, but No Room for Much Else, December 6, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While this case is sold as a netbook attache', I use it for my iPad. I planned on using it for a recent trip on an airplane, but found it too small to put other things I'd need as a carry-on bag, such as headphones, charging cables, AC adapter, newspaper, magazine. With the iPad in it, the case is very snug, but well-protected. But again, I'd still need another case to carry the other things needed.

The overall looks of the bag are very nice. The sides have cut out areas that provide nice detailing with a contrasting color, which makes the bag attractive. The shoulder strap is adjustable and will suit those short and tall.

If you're thinking about this case for your iPad it will do fine if you don't plan on putting anything else along with it. Otherwise, look for something with a little more room.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent quality, but in no way/shape iPad compatible., September 27, 2010
Trevor Goodchild (The City of Angels) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
That's right, this guy is just a *SHADE* too narrow for an iPad in a case. You can jam it in there, but it doesn't fit quite right. If you take the case off, the iPad fits-- but the cavity is far too large, and you wouldn't dare put anything in there with it because-- your iPad is naked. The front-pouch is a tad too narrow for the apple charger was well, so I declare this case to be a failure for an iPad.

Clearly some marketing hack decided to call a netbook case an iPad case, and I imagine it would be fine for a netbook, but this is no iPad case.

Case Logic ULA-110 10.2-Inch Netbook Attaché (Gray)
$24.99 $15.04