5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, many examples, easy to read
Published on December 6, 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Kindle edition is not very good
Published on June 16, 2011 by Maev

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Kindle edition is not very good, June 16, 2011
Maev (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
Overall, if I were reading the physical copy of this book I would have rated it with 5 stars. It is well written, clearly explained, and theoretically sound. However, I purchased the Kindle edition. Although I am still receiving some value, there are a large number of issues with the scanning or transcription of this book. One example is this passage: "Within each of have peculiar of case studies, Szanton has illustrated the principle of literal replication." Even with the context around this sentence to provide clues, I don't have a clue what that sentence is saying! This is unfortunately one of MANY such issues with the Kindle edition of this book. So, the book itself is still providing value, but at the expense of having to interpret a large number of unreadable passages like that one, and in some cases, at the expense of being able to discern what the author was saying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, many examples, easy to read, December 6, 2009
This review is from: Case Study Research: Design and Methods (Applied Social Research Methods) (Paperback)
As a doctoral student, I purchased this book when a research professor at my university recommended it. I can see why! Since I am considering using the case study process for my dissertation research, this book helped me visualize how it might work. Yin filled the book with cogent examples from many fields, with references to find the original study. These examples were both relatively current and from decades past; this range of times helped me see the growth in the case study process and its breadth of applicability.

The book is not a follow-the-numbers process by any means, no cookie-cutter here. Instead, it contains a structured process from beginning to end, including analysis and reporting. Along the way, Yin forces the reader to ask questions and consider the applicability of the case study approach to one's own work.

All in all, very helpful and no doubt, it will be a reference for me in years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Yin yet!, June 3, 2009
Michael D. OByrne (Lake Lanier, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This is an expansion on Robert Yin's previous case study methodology textbooks and it included updated research and increased focus on the theoretical grounding of the methodology. Those who are looking for a detailing of the rationale for using case study will find it here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for Case Study Researchers, July 2, 2009
T. Warner (Beaverton, OR United States) - See all my reviews
If you are doing any kind of case study research and do not have this book, you need this. Dr. Yin is a leader in case study research and has valuable information regarding components to a dissertation that are unique to case studies.

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Kindle edition is horribly edited, October 12, 2011
It seems a shame to rate a book based on its presentation and not its content, but in this case, the presentation was very much an obstacle to getting to the content. Yin's work on case study research is invaluable. Unfortunately, I found it very difficult to read. In the Kindle edition, errors are nearly constant. They are abysmal in the example boxes and exercises. There are words missing, sentences and phrases duplicated or cut off, and easy-to-fix typing errors everywhere. I found my reading experience halted and entirely too frustrating. I really enjoy using my Kindle, but not under such conditions. I don't know if it's Amazon or Sage, but it needs to be fixed.

5.0 out of 5 stars harsha`s review, February 4, 2009
I am reading for my MBA at PIM , University of Sri Jayawardanepura , Sri Lanka. As partial fulfilment of the MBA we are required to embark on a case study reaserch on a given Brand. I found this book to be extremely helpful in that there was no other book that provided a structured approach to doing a case study. I recommend this book to anyone who embarks on a case study research.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and practical, March 26, 2011
This text provides a very good overview of case study design, but I didn't find it to have enough detail to answer some questions. Probably not best for the most advanced researcher, but for beginners and intermediates, seems to be very useful. In combination with other texts on qualitative research and case study methods, provides a very good resource for understanding this quite complicated methodology. My background is in quantitative research, so this text was useful in helping to make a new transition to a new method of research.

5.0 out of 5 stars Case Study Design, July 29, 2010
This is an outstanding resource for anyone considering a case study design. It offers more suggestions and clarifies more issues than the other resources that I have read over the last three years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide and approach to the case study methodology (Kindle edition), January 30, 2012
I decided, even after having read the bad reviews of the Kindle edition, to get this ebook. I haven't found any of the errors pointed out by others - maybe the book has been updated since then. It is from cover to cover a great tool for students as well as researchers. There is no doubt in my mind, if you are doing a case study, or even thinking about doing one, you need to read this book! As with research, this book approaches case study methodology from many angles and discusses each angle's positives and negatives. In addition, the book is supplemented by examples and exercises throughout.

I would actually endorse the use of the Kindle edition, as it is much easier to highlight, take notes, and jump between them afterwards. This is a great function which keeps you from using physical objects or coloring in the physical book. In this way the ebook functions as a database of references and comments as well as the book itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Case Study Research book by Robert K. Yin, February 18, 2011
Yin's book of Case Study Research is the best of the subject and can be held as a classic of the field. This fourth edition of 2009 is modern and gives a solid basis for the researchers.

Case Study Research: Design and Methods (Applied Social Research Methods)
Used & New from: $7.90