5.0 out of 5 stars Quick read, virtual vacation!, November 26, 2010
Kirsten Gilbert Krenicky (Tampa, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casino Caribbean (Oliver Steele Thriller) (Perfect Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading the mystery/thriller Casino Caribbean. Episodic chapters with frequent plot surprises kept my attention so much that I finished it in a day. The main character Oliver Steele was an appealing detective-type: a reluctant fact-finder, a "forensic accountant," which was a new term for me. The bio says the author trained in the world of finance, and that shows in the plot twists and the technical information about the casino in question and international law concerning casinos in general. Some of the best parts of this book are the details of the many locations. I really got the feel that the author had actually been to all the different places in the story - Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Key West, London, Ascot, Antigua, Belize... The details of the restaurants and residents and local customs made it seem real. It was a virtual vacation. I did occasionally find it hard to keep up with the character names, especially since sometimes their first names are used and sometimes their last names are used. But maybe if I hadn't been in such a hurry to get to the next plot revelation or the next bit of treachery I would have had more of a connection to the minor characters. This is a great debut novel - can't wait to see the next one!

4.0 out of 5 stars A timely thriller, December 4, 2010
An action-packed little mystery with a timely plot involving internet gambling. I hope to get to know "freelance sleuth", Oliver Steele more intimately in the next book. I look forward to seeing this new mystery writer develop his own personal style. I wanted more descriptive narrative than Mr. Tempest gave me in his debut novel, but despite the book's minimalist verbage, I was caught up in the adventure and read on to find out what was going to happen in the end. Where will Oliver take us on his next journey into the underworld of intrigue? I'll be looking for the next episode.:)

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting read, February 6, 2011
When putting your investigative mind on the market, you never know who might hire you. "Casino Caribbean" follows freelance sleuth Oliver Steele as he tries to get himself back on his feet by working with entrepreneur Carlton Tisch. Being dragged into the world of Casinos, he finds that gambles aren't made on the tables alone. "Casino Caribbean" is an exciting read that should prove hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars license to audit, February 23, 2011
Oliver Steele, the"forensic accountant" is a Double Oh agent, with a license to audit. Graham Tempest has created a real life persona, in this new age world of intrigue, who tames the bad guys with the review of a spread sheet, instead of a gun. With the advent of carry around computers, the real action has changed from bank heists and armed robbery to wireless money laundering, hacking into bank and government databases, and online scamming. With a cast of characters that includes gun toting accomplices, computer experts, and ace auditors, the hi-tech savvy perpetrators are just as dead, and just as in jail, as if MI6 were on the case.
With Mr. Tempest's credentials as a financial controller and CPA, the intricate descriptions of the corporate apparatus and tax laws governing the different island countries, seemed that much more plausible.
Casino Caribbean was a real page turner and I look forward to the next episode.

5.0 out of 5 stars Attention Grabber, March 24, 2013
Casino Caribbean grabbed my attention and pulled me in instantly. There was enough detail of the places, events and characters to interest me and not so much as to bog me down in details. New action or a thickened plot at every turn of the page. This fictional novel seemed very real to me. I was in such a hurry to find out what the next page held, that I flew through it and will have to revisit it prior to reading the next episode. If this is your first book, I can't wait to read the next one and the next... Kudos!

Casino Caribbean (Oliver Steele Thriller)
Casino Caribbean (Oliver Steele Thriller) by Graham Tempest (Perfect Paperback - November 15, 2010)
$11.99