1,654 Reviews
 (1,014)

5.0 out of 5 stars Back with a vengeance
Published on December 12, 2006 by James Ferguson

3.0 out of 5 stars Can Bond be blond?
The Bond franchise starts over with this film, which stars fair-haired Daniel Craig as an inexperienced rookie earning his "00" status. The plot? To rid an African terrorist group of its funding, Bond takes on its evil banker in a high-stakes poker game at a Bahamas casino. Along the way he learns discipline, patience, and yes, how to judge a good martini.

In...
Published on May 16, 2007 by Julie Neal

5.0 out of 5 stars Back with a vengeance, December 12, 2006
James Ferguson (Vilnius, Lithuania) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I was beginning to wonder if James Bond was dead, but along comes Daniel Craig to breathe new life into the role, giving us a lean, mean 007 that blows previous Bonds away. Martin Campbell went back to the basics, retooling Bond and giving him a much more physical presence, reminiscent of Sean Connery. From the opening sequence we see we are in for a real treat, as Campbell takes nothing for granted. He knows he has to earn the audience's respect, and he does with a thrilling chase scene in the chaotic urban center of an African republic.

Bond really comes across as a rogue agent in Casino Royale, stealing his way into M's apartment to leave her coded messages, taking risks that threaten painstaking operations and getting himself into jams that require MI6 to bail him out. This is a young impetuous Bond, overanxious and thrilling to watch as Craig fills his role with the energy of a stage actor.

There is also one of the best villains in recent years with Mads Mikkelsen as the cold blooded Le Chiffre. He heads an international cartel not so much bent on world destruction as on taking advantage of the chaos in which we live. He is a much more believable villain than Spectre and relies on much simpler methods of getting his piece of flesh from someone.

It is also refreshing to see Bond have a real love interest in Eva Green, not the usual banter that rings hollow. Bond is not afraid to expose himself in this movie, revealing a much more vulnerable figure than we have seen before.

MI6 also finds itself as a much more porous organization, capable of being infiltrated so that Bond doesn't know who to trust in key moments. All he has is the support of M, played to deadpan perfection by Judi Dench.

Everything about this movie is fresh and clean, including the opening credits. Bond hasn't looked this good since the early films in the series with Sean Connery. There is even an amusing scene where Bond wins a 1964 Aston Martin in a poker game, a tip of the hat to Goldfinger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reboot is remarkable!, September 23, 2008
I loved the first Blu-Ray edition. I have not seen the Collector's Edition yet, but they have added so much more to this. I got this from the BluRay.com website....

*Bonus View Picture-in-Picture visual commentary with Director Martin Campbell and Producer Michael G. Wilson (BD Exclusive)
*"Know Your Double-O" - the Ultimate James Bond Trivia Quiz, a BD-Live enabled multi-skill level, multi-player trivia game (BD Exclusive)
Documentaries
*Ian Fleming's Incredible Creation - A remarkable look at the birth and continued success of James Bond, including never-before-revealed information about Bond's creator and the origins of 007.
*The Road to Casino Royale - The story of why it took over 50 years for the Bond filmmakers to bring Ian Fleming's first 007 novel to the big screen, featuring the amazing behind-the-scenes stories of the many attempts to make the film.
*James Bond in the Bahamas - A fascinating examination of the links between the the cinematic Bond and the Bahamas, with never-before-told behind-the-scenes stories from Casino Royale, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, For Your Eyes Only and The World Is Not Enough.
*Ian Fleming: The Secret Road to Paradise - A revealing exploration of the world of James Bond's creator. In this documentary, discover why Ian Fleming was drawn to the Bahamas, and learn the cinematic Casino Royale's unique link to an important chapter in 007's secret history.
*Death in Venice - A break down of one of the key scenes in the film.
*Becoming Bond - An intimate look at how Daniel Craig stepped into the role of James Bond.
*James Bond: For Real - A behind-the-scenes look at the ground-breaking action and the stunts in Casino Royale.
*Bond Girls Are Forever - An extended version of the 2002 AMC television special, with new footage and interviews of the new Bond Girls.

---Featurettes---
*The Art of Freerunning - An in-depth look at the freerunning chase and the freerunning technique with the sport's founder, Sebastien Foucan.

---Filmmaker Profiles: in-depth conversations with key creative forces behind Casino Royale, including never-before-seen behind-the-scenes footage:
*Martin Campbell, Director

---Deleted/Extended Scenes---
"Rescue & Recovery"
"Squandering Government Funds"
"Cricket Pavilion"
"Gettler Raises Bond's Suspicions"

---Storyboard Sequence---
Freerunning Chase -- Watch the storyboards presented in animatic form, or view them in comparison to the finished film sequence.

---Scene Deconstruction---
Catching a Plane: From Storyboard to Screen, featuring outtakes and never-before-seen footage.

---Music Video: Chris Cornell "You Know My Name"

---Crew Commentary: Audio Commentary with scene-specific comments and observations from many of Casino Royale's creative team.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bond Reinvigorated With Real Ruthlessness And Genuine Romance--Craig Disproves His Harshest Critics, January 23, 2007
This review is from: Casino Royale (Two-Disc Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
I like James Bond as much as the next guy. I've read a couple of Ian Fleming's novels, have seen all the films (many in the theater), and have all the box set DVDs. I don't consider myself obsessive, however, Bond to me has always been a bit of a lark--adrenaline style entertainment. From the serious Bond to the cheesy Bond, there's always some action or outrageousness to admire. So I was mystified when so many people were absolutely indignant that Daniel Craig was signed for the role. I'm not saying I supported the ouster of Brosnan, I'm just saying I was pleased that a talented actor was taking his place. And the idea of rebooting the series wasn't controversial to me, but an ingenious way to reinvigorate the franchise.

Now having seen "Casino Royale," I stand firm in my opinion that Craig makes an excellent 007 (even though he's blonde and not Clive Owen). He demonstrates a real brashness as the newly promoted Bond--defiant, cocky and tough as nails. But the character has many shadings which Craig pulls off effortlessly. The flirtatious womanizer, the tender romantic, the brutal killer, and the betrayed lover are all well played and believable. He inhabits Bond with a realness, a personality--it's more than the casual quip, there's something going on in his brain. But maybe Craig's strongest asset is his physicality. Not only has he given Bond emotional resonance, but his physical presence make his action scenes and tough guy performance much more realistic.

The movie's plot is somewhat superfluous to me--it's a pretty standard setup. The film kicks off with a tremendously staged chase, however. The stunts and choreography are excellent--it's exciting when necessary and amusing where appropriate. You know instantly that you're in for a thrill ride. As we settle in for the main story, Bond meets with Vesper Lynd--played by Eva Green. Green is a good match for Craig, and her character is written well--their relationship can be surprisingly sweet. The major plot point revolves around a poker game which Bond must win. Within this card game, an interesting psychological contest is developed with the villain. I liked the blend of action and cunning gameplay.

The third act for me, while necessary to the development of Bond's character, did play on a little long and held no real surprises. But that said, it was particularly well acted. Overall, I found the Bond reboot amazingly successful. Craig makes Bond human again and ruthless, too. Recommended as a solid action picture, and one of the stronger entries in the series! KGHarris, 11/06.

4.0 out of 5 stars Here's what you need to know if you bought this on DVD., November 30, 2009
Usually Amazon's reviews are helpful but not so much in this case -- a lot of people gushing about the film and not so much about the product. The film deserves the praise, sure, but I wanted to know whether this Blu-Ray release would contain all the special features from the DVD version of Casino Royale: Collector's Edition, which came in a 3-disc DVD set packed with features and had very nice packaging and a full-color, glossy booklet.

This Blu-Ray release includes every single special feature from the DVD version of Casino Royale: Collector's Edition, and includes some Blu-Ray exclusive special features including BD-Live and a trivia quiz, which to be honest isn't that big a deal.

As for appearance, the packaging is not the same and the glossy booklet is not included. The DVD version of the Collector's Edition is much nicer in presentation, but I'm only buying this so I can see this film and features in 1080p. However, I'll be keeping the DVD version of this because I really do love how that version was packaged. I hope this helps you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu-Ray Bond is Unbeatable!, March 24, 2007
This review is from: Casino Royale [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I saw this movie in the cinema and was eagerly awaiting the Blu-Ray release. After viewing the disc played back on my Panasonic BD Player and viewing on a 50" Pioneer plasma along with the 5.1 LPCM soundtrack I can say that this movie blew me away. Not only is this the best Bond movie to date but the transfer on Blu-Ray disc is top notch. The picture is STUNNING to say the least with every possible detail replayed in crystal clear HD and the sound is unbelievable... If you are a fan of this movie and you have a Blu-Ray set-up then I recommend you order this title today if you don't already have it in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daniel Craig is Bond, November 19, 2006
MICHAEL ACUNA (Southern California United States) - See all my reviews
There was never any doubt in my mind that Daniel Craig would make a sterling James Bond as I have seen most of his edgy, out of the box film roles in "Layer Cake," The Mother," Sylvia," "Munich," "Road to Perdition" to name several. Craig is and has always had weight, focus and importance on the screen. And as James Bond he brings all of these qualities to bear and "Casino Royale" is the better for it.
Many actors were rumored to have been considered for the re-inventing of James Bond and Daniel Craig was not a popular choice but his interpretation here should put all the naysayers at bay for Craig more than re-invents...he makes this part his own.
Martin Campbell ("Goldeneye," "Beyond Borders") stays clear of all the wham-bam, thank you M'am special effects of all the former James Bond films and concentrates on the things that make all films important: character, relationships and emotional commitment.
The James Bond of "Casino Royale" (it was the first in Ian Fleming's series of books on Bond) has just been given the so-called honor of the "007" impranteur and, though he has been an operative for a time, he is still considered the odd man out, the dangerous one, the one who will stop at nothing to solves his cases. On the surface this would seem like the ideal government spy but the operative word here is "government," the biggest block of bureaucracy there ever is or was and as such "it" requires Bond to follow procedure as M (Judi Dench) reminds him time and again.
The Bond of "Casino Royale"is physical, violent, without too much conscience, sexy, fit: more likely to kick you in the groin than serve you a glass of White Burgundy. But this Bond also has a heart and, though he has a couple of dalliances with women, he makes a real connection to one in particular, Eva Green as Vesper Lynd. Though I would have liked somone with a warmer, cushier screen presence than Green, this romance also sets up what is to become of Bond, romance-wise for the rest of the Bond series of novels and, I assume....films.
The action sequences are personal and physical (the kind that you never saw Brosnan do) as well as excitingly staged and produced. "Casino Royale" marks a change of direction and focus of the Bond franchise and from the evidence on the screen, I would have to say it looks like the producers have a winner in Daniel Craig and a homerun in their first outing with him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bond Reinvigorated With Real Ruthlessness And Genuine Romance: Craig Disproved His Harshest Critics In His Debut, December 20, 2012
This review is from: Casino Royale (DVD)
I like James Bond as much as the next guy. I've read a couple of Ian Fleming's novels, have seen all the films (many in the theater), and have all the box set DVDs. I don't consider myself obsessive, however. Bond to me has always been a bit of a lark, an adrenaline style entertainment. From the serious Bond to the cheesy Bond, there's always some action or outrageousness to admire. So I was mystified when so many people were absolutely indignant when Daniel Craig was signed for the role. It seems hard to imagine a few year later that this was ever a bone of contention, but people were absolutely set on Clive Owen (who I love) after Pierce Brosnan was sent packing. I'm not saying I supported the ouster of Brosnan, I'm just saying I was pleased that a talented actor was taking his place. And the idea of rebooting the series wasn't controversial to me, but an ingenious way to reinvigorate the franchise. And that it has!

Now having seen "Casino Royale" and its successors, I stand firm in my opinion that Craig makes an excellent 007 (even though he's blonde and not Clive Owen). He demonstrates a real brashness in this episode as the newly promoted Bond: defiant, arrogant and tough as nails. But the character also has many shadings which Craig pulls off effortlessly. The flirtatious womanizer, the tender romantic, the brutal killer, and the betrayed lover are all well played and believable. He inhabits Bond with a realness, a personality. It's more than the casual quip, there's something going on in his brain. But maybe Craig's strongest asset is his physicality. Not only has he given Bond emotional resonance, but his physical presence make his action scenes and tough guy performance much more realistic.

The movie's plot is somewhat superfluous to me, it's a pretty standard setup. The film kicks off with a tremendously staged chase, however. The stunts and choreography are excellent. It's exciting when necessary and amusing where appropriate. You know instantly that you're in for a thrill ride. As we settle in for the main story, Bond meets with Vesper Lynd, played by Eva Green. Green is a good match for Craig. Her character is written well and their relationship can be surprisingly sweet. The major plot point revolves around a poker game which Bond must win. Within this card game, an interesting psychological contest is developed with the villain. I really liked the blend of action and cunning game play.

The third act for me, while necessary to the development of Bond's character, did play on a little long and held no real surprises. But that said, it was particularly well acted. Overall, I found the Bond reboot amazingly successful. Craig makes Bond human again and ruthless, too. Recommended as a solid action picture, and one of the stronger entries in the series! KGHarris, 12/12.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Reintroduction to Our Old Friend, March 22, 2007
This review is from: Casino Royale (Two-Disc Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
All is well in 007 land, long live Daniel Craig as Bond, James Bond. This was the only Bond I can remember without a super car and laser watch and it was great. The level of energy, the brutal efficiency of the fights, and having Dame Judy Dench reprise her role as "M" all contributed to a fine new start to the series. I hope that they keep the energy up and the number of gadgets down.

The reason I refrain from giving 5 stars is that it simply does not rise to that level. Nothing specific, it just did not inspire me the way a 5 does, nor will it be part of my watch it every year collection. It was greatly entertaining but that is all. The only thing that I can point to is the ending. The ending is a little rushed or unnecessarily complicated; I am not sure which or maybe both.

In the final evaluation I highly recommend this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casino Royale brings much needed life in to a franchise that had lost its edge, March 19, 2007
Porfie Medina "Porfie Jr. Medina" (Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casino Royale [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I just finished watching the new James Bond Movie Casino Royale and I can say it was one of the best James Bond movies to come out in years. After watching the horrible Die Another Day I was a little afraid to watch Casino Royale. I took a risk and I'm glad I did because I really enjoyed this movie. This latest movie brings much needed life in to the James Bond Franchise which over the past few years had lost its edge. This is a new and improved Bond played by Daniel Craig. Daniel gives a great performance as 007, and his character actually has emotions and is not portrayed as this one dimensional robot like the previous films. The action scenes in this movie are great, and to see James Bond fall in love just adds to the drama of this movie. I don't want to give the movie away so I will say no more. This movie has some slow moments in it, but for the most part it is a good, entertaining, action packed movie. The Blu-ray disc picture looks amazing in true 1080p HD, and the sound is top notch as well if you choose the linear PCM 5.1 soundtrack. This is another one of the best looking Blu-ray discs (along with Crank, The Departed, and Babel) to come out. Check out Casino Royale and discover how cool James Bond is once again!

The Special Features:

Becoming Bond

James Bond: For Real

Bond Girls Are Forever (2006)

Chris Cornell Music Video

4.0 out of 5 stars New Brand of 'Bond', March 22, 2007
This review is from: Casino Royale (Two-Disc Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
This is a new brand of Bond, more shaken than stirred, as he portrays a more human 007. He's more edgy and realistic in my opinion. I slightly miss the larger than life 'super-suave' Bond, but I finally admitted that the more human hero is refreshing. So happy that they were wise enough to cast Judi Dench again as 'M'. I don't believe a Bond movie would be as good without her screen dominating personality. There's a few 'near-death' scenes that I especially liked this time around.

Chrissy K. McVay - Author

Casino Royale (Two-Disc Widescreen Edition)
Casino Royale (Two-Disc Widescreen Edition) by Martin Campbell (DVD - 2007)
$14.99 $11.35