5.0 out of 5 stars Epicurean watch
Published on April 12, 2011 by Lucas

3.0 out of 5 stars worth the money
I think the watch will work well. I will mention a few things that are not apparent from the product description.

Two drawbacks:

Published 23 months ago by corlane

5.0 out of 5 stars Epicurean watch, April 12, 2011
This review is from: Casio Men's A168W-1 Electro Luminescence Digital Bracelet Watch (Watch)
Nice, inexpensive watch. Looks very nice on the wrist, a little small, but I don't have huge wrists so it looks fine to me. I'm not a big fan of the "huge watch" craze, anyway. I don't share most other reviewers' sentiments about the band -- it seems as solidly built as the rest of the watch, is relatively easy to adjust without tools, and looks good. Features on the watch are easy to use and easy to set. The price actually went down a few bucks after I ordered it, and even then it was still the lowest price I could find with free shipping (ordered from Amazon). The band pulls a little at the arm hairs, but it's not a huge problem, and no more than any other metal-banded watch I've owned. If you need a nice simple feature-laden watch that looks good and has a cool retro look/feel, get it. They've been making this model for decades now, and it still sells, for a reason.

Also: I ordered this one over the A158W because the backlight is much nicer. The whole thing illuminates, whereas on the A158W theres only a small light on the side and it's not as effective. For a few extra bucks I think it's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio Watch Review, January 23, 2009
This is your bare-bones basic electronic watch. Nothing particularly fancy, not a lot of whistles and bells - just what I was looking for. That being said, this is my second purchase of this particular watch. I bought the first one 6-7 years ago back when I was in construction. I wanted a nicer looking watch with a metal band that would look nicer when dressed up, but I prefer the digital ones because they keep perfect time. I literally wore the old watch out - my fault, not Casios - and have now purchased it again. The new one is just like the old one. It keeps flawless time, looks really nice, and was so inexpensive.

I simply wanted a nice looking digital watch that had a nice slim profile and kept excellent time. I didn't care for all the other fancy frills or features, all I want a watch to do is keep time. I hope this watch is available in another ten years (I no longer do construction) so I can replace this one when it wears out. Maybe I'll just go ahead and purchase another one now just in case.

3.0 out of 5 stars worth the money, October 17, 2012

Two drawbacks:

1. The wristband is adjustable, but the manual doesn't mention how. Eventually I found a YouTube video that shows how, and it is easy. Since part of the purchase decision was planning to replace the band with a flexible metal one, I don't care. The watch shop told me that putting a metal band on a resin watch case would break the watch case in 6-12 months, in their experience, so I need a metal case. I hope the case is steel, the watch says "stainless steel back", but the product info on Amazon says steel case. When the watch dies - in 7 years - I may take a hacksaw to it and find out.

2. The numbers are small and hard to read. The face in 25 mm high, but only 10 mm is used for the display. The time digits are 5 mm high and the day and date characters are about half that. This is the worst feature of this watch.

3. The manual says to replace the water resistant seal every 2-3 years. Probably less expensive to buy a new watch, so I won't bother.

The good stuff:

1. The EL face lighting makes it easy to read the entire face at night.

2. The watch is slim enough to fit under a shirt sleeve. This is a major benefit since the current style is to make watches quite large and bulky.

4.0 out of 5 stars Return the classic, November 5, 2010
I bought the watch for my son. A nice thin classic old style watch. The edge of bracelet is rather sharp or not smooth I guess it is what you get for the price. Things that disappointing is that the electro luminescence doesn't stay on a few second when the light button is pressed, it is only on when it is pressed. The second thing the bip sound when pressing the button can not be turned off which mean my son can not use the stop watch during exams.

5.0 out of 5 stars If it ain't broke, don't fix it., March 23, 2012
If you're debating this purchase, DON'T. Click buy, right now. Hell, use the one-click-purchase if you can. My dad had this exact watch for my entire childhood. It survived everything. If you're looking for a solid, functional, classy timepiece... look no further. It's not fancy, it won't catch the eye of that cute dame you've been eyeballing, and it's not going to tell you how much tip to leave. What it will do is tell you the date and time, relentlessly, forever.

As a medical student entering my clinical years, I needed to buy a watch that I could trust enough to keep my life on schedule, but not worry about getting scratched, broken, or covered with unknown bodily fluids. When I found this for under $15 at the time, the decision was easy. I know next to diddly-squat about watches, but what I do know is that in the past year and a half, this has served as my security blanket to make sure I get up in the morning, get to work on time, and never find myself running late. I've beaten this thing to hell and back, and it barely shows a scratch. I don't know what Casio did when they designed this thing, but I personally hope they never discontinue the model. I'll wear this baby until it dies, then go back and buy two more.

As a side note, to those with legit burgeoning interest in watches, this is a fantastic place to start. Although it's completely nondescript, I can't tell you how many comments I've gotten from people who DO know watches, complementing me on sporting one of the original digital wristwatches. Totally retro, but who doesn't want a watch that works perfectly, has a history to it, goes with every outfit you put on, and will last forever?

Go. Click purchase now.

PS- all those whiny babies complaining about the band and it's "sharp edges" and how it "pulls their hair" need to man up and grow a pair. No, the band is not sharp, it will not scratch you, and it will not make your wrist bald from wearing it. Sure, if you're hairy as a yeti it may be a pain... but at that point ANY watch with a metal link band will do the same. Anyone who complains about this band will likely complain about ANY watch band made from metal links... they should just go back to wearing the cloth band watches they wore as children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute value for money, July 29, 2011
I was using a Casio A158W-1 for the past 4 years (In fact it was a look alike bought for $2). Amazed at the clean, neat and simple design of the watch with a superb easily readable display, I had decided to buy an original one.
The watch has a good finish, better than my earlier look alike for obvious reasons. The strap is extremely easy to adjust.
Basic functions like hourly chime, stop watch is included.
The reason I chose A168W over A158W was the back-light. Unlike 158 which has a small LED on the left hand side of the display, this one has got a display which lit completely from the back. The soft blue light looks Uber cool.
And the watch design is classic .... evergreen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Been using exact same style watch for 27 years, May 30, 2011
I started using this watch after I joined the Army around 1987. I needed something to wake me up when I was in the field and then used it at home in garrison. I liked the alarm better because it doesn't startle me like an alarm clock does. I am 47 years old and a civilian and I still use the exact same style watch. If they could only make the battery last 5 or 6 years or LONGER, it would be a perfect watch. I love this watch and highly recommend it. It is easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars great cheap watch, October 31, 2009
I've had 4 or 5 of these over the years. I'm very tough on watches and it makes no sense to buy an expensive watch. This watch looks great, has nice functions (stopwatch) and I don't worry if I bang it on a tree or get it caught on something in a car engine. I also keep it accurate to the second. It loses a few seconds a month, but it's no big deal to reset it. The only down side is that after a couple of years of wear/tear, the function buttons tends to not want to work. Kind of telling me it's time to get a new one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Updated Review Of Digital Watch, June 28, 2011
***** ORIGINAL REVIEW 07/28/2011 *****
***** REVIEW UPDATED 07/09/2013 SEE BELOW *****

I had a watch very similar to this one a few years ago. I don't recall what happened to it. This one is a good buy for the money.

Features I Like:

1. The band is a perfect fit
2. It has a 24 hour clock
3. Resists water until the battery is changed (That was true of my former watch)
4. The backlighting is bright. Can read it in the dark
5. Looks good

Features I don't like

1. The back of my previous Casio watch could be pried off with a pocket knife. The back of
this one is secured by 4 tiny Phillips screws. Hardware stores don't stock a screwdriver
small enough to turn the screws.

***** Update To Review 07/09/2013 *****

It was time to replace the battery. With other watches it was quite simple. See "Features I don't like" above. With this one it was either take it a jeweler or do it myself; I chose the latter option. I ended up purchasing a Phillips 000 Screwdriver online from wiha.com Including shipping the cost was $10.43 I received the screwdriver yesterday. I removed the screws from the back and removed the back. The battery was tightly secured in a capsule and once I removed it, it was impossible to reassemble the capsule so now I have a disassembled watch on my hands and will probably purchase a new watch. This is a DISPOSABLE watch, which explains why the back is secured with tiny screws. If you intend to replace the battery on a watch after it dies, DON'T BUY THIS WATCH!!! Replacing the battery will most likely be impossible. I changed my review from 4 stars to 2 after this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a Rolex, August 20, 2009
acemeth (Seabrook, NH USA) - See all my reviews
Can't beat this with a stick. Battery lasts forever. I have dove with this watch more than 100ft. on more than one occasion. Less trouble than my Rolex and keeps better time.