5.0 out of 5 stars Mine just died
Published on January 27, 2005 by Randall Black

3.0 out of 5 stars The Duckman
Watch is beautiful and looks good in an adventurous or casual environment with it's gold face. It is a bit heavier than many sport watches (i.e. Casio, Suunto, etc.) with resin bands. As far as the resin band, it tends to split after months of use necessitating replacement. I've owned two of these watches in five years and have cycled through 6 watchbands...
Published on July 24, 2004 by C. Garred

5.0 out of 5 stars Mine just died, January 27, 2005
After about seven years of great service, my wrist now bears a dead AMW320D (great name, eh, really trips off the tongue). I went in for my third battery replacement and the jeweler told me that corrosion had eaten away at the movement. The first time I replaced the battery I learned that the seal had to be broken and the watch might no longer resist water. The soft rubbery plastic strap died long ago, replaced by a superior twist-o-flex-style metal wrist band.

Now you might think I'm dissatisfied. But I intend to order another the minute (or so -- I don't have a working watch) I finish writing this review. Why? It has been a great watch. Analog plus digital gives me easy-to-read intuitive time checking, along with all the bells and whistles of silicon: multiple times, alarm, stop watch, and calendar. The outer ring on the face lets me rotate the "north" arrow to a future time, say 45 minutes from now, and I know time's up when the minute hand gets there. (I have no idea why the face ring has compass points and degrees marked on it -- to fool one's friends?) The watch has been rugged, holding up to the shock of using hoes and axes, although I didn't push my luck if I remembered to take it off.

I'm looking at my old friend, now motionless and blank, and figure he had a pretty good run. Time's up for this timepiece, at a cost of a little more than $10 per year. Since I bought the last one on display at Mervyn's, I didn't get a box or manual and didn't even know what it was called AMW320D until looking it up on the web just now. AMW320D I didn't even know your name all these great years together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Men's Casio Divers Watch, October 11, 2005
This is my third purchase of this same watch in the past ten years. I am very hard on watches and beat the heck out of them. I keep forgetting to remove them when working on Airplanes and auto engines etc. I dropped one and the second hand fell off which jammed the works. The other two still work but look like heck. Bands are lousey and break in short order so get a new band to replace it and keep it handy. Price from Target was $20 cheaper than Wally world and that included shipping. Some complain of not getting a good seal when replacing the battery and that will allow moisture into the watch and fog up the crystal. If you are VERY carefull and use the tinniest bit of vasoline to hold the O-ring in place when reinstalling the back it will seal just fine. Also, don't open it up on a wet and humid day.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 Years, March 1, 2006
I have had this watch for ten years.

When I was in military service, it is the only watch I trust. It wakes me up, withstands lots of abuse, and never lets me down.

What can you say?

A 60 dollar something watch for 10 years?

I will purchse this watch again.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've had two, May 3, 2004
J. Whealton (Central Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
After replacing the battery for the second time (they last about 3-4 years), my watch had a moisture problem and I couldn't get the fog out of it... the o-ring probably wasn't sealed well. So I gave that one up and bought another just like it. I've had this one for about 4 years now and still think its the perfect watch. It has the digital window with dates, alternate times, and stop watch yet still has an attractive traditional watch style. The only drawback to the standard features is the band... I've found that it lasts only about a year and a half before it breaks... you will definitely want to get a fabric sports band when the stock one gives out.

- edit 9feb06 - Just wanted to edit this post (nearly two years later) to let readers know I am now on my third one! My second one is now about 6 years old I guess and had some scratches on the glass and bezel and was looking a bit too beat up to be wearing out on the town. My wife was looking for another Christmas gift for me and saw that I had this on my Amazon wish list so she got it for me. I noticed when she gave it to me that it had a slightly more dark golden face with significantly more luminescent hour markers than my old one. I don't know if this was a tweak by Casio or because my old one just faded. Either way, I really like the new look. So now I have one for the field and one for the town. I still think its a great watch.

And to answer a comment by another reviewer about the compass dial, it can be used with the sun and your hour hand to help find direction. Point your hour hand at the sun and half way between the hour hand and 12:00 is, roughly, south (in the northern hemisphere). The compass dial can be used from there to get approximate bearings. Google "survival and finding direction" and you'll get a better explanation than I can give I'm sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars i am buying my second, September 12, 2005
too funny that the other reviews were much like my own opinions.

i own a $6000 rolex, but my casio died recently when the time adjust went awry. i wore this watch for essentially 14 years, and wore it on all sorts of different occasions.

for the price, and for the value, it is second to none. you need a big wrist tho, as its a big watch. i have looked at hundreds of watches since then, but keep coming back to this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just picked one up, May 10, 2006
I just bought one of these watches. It is a nice watch and feels solid and is well-built. The rubber-type strap is decent and I can't see anything bad in it. I like all the functions on this watch (date, alarm, chronograph, diver bezel, etc., etc.). Has it all. The metal base or housing piece is solid too. All-in-all a nice, solid watch (you can't of course tell from the web site how heavy the watch is, but it feels more solid than the image might suggest, and to me feels similar to my $ 250 Casio dive watch, albeit a not quite as heavy. In other words: perfect for summer, when you want something a bit lighter on your wrist. One thing I noticed is how BRIGHT it is in the dark. I pulled into the parking garage and literally said, "Wow !" out loud the first time I saw it in the dark. It has a luminosity that rivals that of my Luminox tritium watches. Very impressed by that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this watch., September 27, 2005
MK (Trinidad) - See all my reviews
I bought this watch about 10 years ago and it has been on my hand about 99.99% of the time - including in rivers and in the ocean. It recently started to give me some problems with the digital display fading out from time to time.

I was amazed that this model is still available and I am gong to buy a new one.

The analog display looks good and the digital window allows me to display the date all of the time. Unlike mechanical watches that only have a date/day display this watch does not have to be reset every month that does not have 31 days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good water sports watch (man's sizeing), April 22, 2004
By A Customer
My only hesitation is that I'm on my second watch. The way it died was that the second hand appeared to "stick" and with in one day I had to reset it 3 times. They are inexpensive, which is why I didn't opt to repair it, and the first watch lasted about 2 years which is pretty good value considering what I paid for it. If you'd rather have a metal band you can order one from one of the casio watch suppliers on the web if you can't find it here.

The watch originally came in three faces, white, black and gold. The gold face is by far the prettiest. The plastic band is very high quality. Normally I would have expected it to not last for those two years, but it was showing no signs of wear. (Plastic watch bands nearly all break at the spot where the clasp goes through the band eventually)

The only real complaint is that the symbol for daily alarm vs the hourly alarm are confusing. The hourly alarm is the "alarm bell" and the daily alarm is a "dotted bar" But once I read the manual it was clear which was which.

The dual time feature is also cool. In fact you can have 3 time's on the watch, if you set the analog face to a different time zone than the digital time, however the digitial time is the one that controls the alarms.

So the fact I bought a second watch says something about it. Nice watch, good value.

:Update!
I've gone through 2 of these. They are a good value. The battery does last about a year or so if you use the alarm occasionally. But when it fails, both failed the same way, the second hand just stops. Then you'll look at the analog time and it will be off by a 1/2 hr or so. But by now the watch is running again. First time it happened I replaced the battery thinking that was it, and it ran for 6 months then did it again. So I bought the second watch and put the first in a cabinate. Well I looked at it a year later and it was perfectly on time, so I started wearing it again. Lasted another 3 years, with more replacement batteries. Then the second one quit and I've switched away to another watch.

It's not that I don't like this watch, I do, but I can't have it just "losing" a 1/2 randomly so I always wore it so I could see both digital time and analog time. And of course it kept perfect time for a long time...

Still I'm considering getting another for the weekend when I won't mind so much if I knock it about.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Duckman, July 24, 2004

Overall, the watch is a good value, and even after battery replacements waterproof integrity has not been compromised.

Give us a more durable band Casio. If you did this, the AMW320D-9EV Analog/Digital Watch would be a superlative watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars bottom of a nuclear silo, August 24, 2006
This watch was great. I really loved the digital feature residing in the analog face.

I don't know about others out there but analog watches are the only way to go. I love the fact that I can visually see what time it is in a graphical representation, but I love having the digital features such as the alarm, timer, stopwatch, and date feature.

I wore the watch 24/7 and it never ever gave me a problem, however, when I was filming an independent film within a west texas silo I lost the watch climbing the ladder out. I was climbing a straight vertical steel pipe ladder and as I reached the top hatch, which lead to the top landing, my watch face caught on the side of the steel ladder and the band pins broke. Next thing I knew I heard a "plop" and new my wonderful watch was on its way to the bottom of a 120 foot watery depth!!

I will probably get another one but I really would love one with a metal band!

Rate and Discover Movies