5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent budget digital piano.
We were on a tight budget when we bought this a couple of years ago, at Costco for CDN$799. Our son was 4, and we were getting ready to enrol him in lessons. I did not play piano growing up, but I can play many other instruments, and have played professionally in bars for 23 years.

My main goals were to get something that would:
1) approximate the feel of...
Published on November 9, 2011 by Sixfootnine

2.0 out of 5 stars The value far surpasses the price
Published on June 14, 2012 by Vance

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent budget digital piano., November 9, 2011
Sixfootnine (Guelph, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio AP220 Celviano Digital Piano with Bench (Electronics)

My main goals were to get something that would:
1) approximate the feel of a real piano.
= does a very good job. The weighted keys respond nicely to speed and pressure. You can play loud or soft, with no buzz. There is some mild 'clunking' on some of the keys, but I've noticed that on real pianos. I would NOT say that the touch is the SAME as a real piano, but it's close.
2) approximate the sound of a real piano.
= I think the sound is excellent. One of the only ways I notice a difference is that it's so homogeneous in volume and tone and tuning that it couldn't be real. It's also great to be able to say to my son "Can you turn that down a bit, please? We're trying to talk." or "Turn it up! We can barely hear you!" If I focus, I think I can imagine the slightest synthetic quality to the tone, but I'll take that over wonky individual natural notes (especially at the high end of the keyboard) and paying $100 per year or whatever it is for someone to tune a cheap second-hand acoustic piano. Once again, playing with headphones is a great option for me, and probably for my son some years down the road.
3) have a couple of 'toys' on it to interest my son, but not so many that he'd be distracted from learning to play.
= Casio has struck a great balance here. There is NO LCD or other type of screen. You have lights, buttons, and keys. The buttons for changing the instrument voice are simple to use, and that's what my son does play with. There are 16 instrument voices, including 2 organs, 2 strings, choir, 2 grand pianos, 2 electric pianos, honky-tonk piano, bright piano, vibes, harpsichord, synthesizer, upright bass and bass with ride cymbal. They all sound great, and my son likes to experiment making his own tunes with the spooky sound of the organ or harpsichord, the ethereal synths, or gentle strings. There's a built-in metronome, and a recording function that lets you use right and left hand recording. You can also split the keyboard into two instruments, so you can play a jazzy piano riff on the right and acoustic bass with ride cymbal on the left. There are more toys than we've bothered to figure out in a couple of years, and I can say that the AP220 encourages playing music rather than playing with buttons. There is a built in library of about 50 wonderful famous classical piano pieces, which have been beautifully interpreted using Midi and stored in the piano's memory. It's not hard playing all 50 in a row with an autoplay function, but it would have been nice to have a 'pause' or 'start at # and then continue' option. If you stop it to answer the phone or something, you have to start over at the beginning again. And yes, I do just listen to the piano play it's library sometimes. You can also learn these library songs with the accompanying book of scores, complete with finger numbering on the notes, and you can slow it down or focus on either hand.
4) be maintenance free.
= it looks okay, and we're not embarrassed to have it in our living room. It's dark brown, so needs dusting. That's it! No tuning, no worries about humidity, etc. Turns on and off very quickly. Plenty loud enough, or quiet enough, per your needs. I was pleasantly surprised by the bench. It's solid steel in the legs which attach firmly to the seat. It has held up like new despite being abused by my kid who insists on rocking it forward on two legs. It also holds my 230lbs (I'm 6'9") without a creak.
5) be easy to play at night when others are sleeping (I'm learning, too). Headphones - 2 jacks (one for a teacher, or output to bigger speakers).
6) interface with a computer for recording.
= I also bought an audio interface ($30?) to hook it up to my laptop. Now I can have the piano play any midi I download (name any tune, symphony, concerto, etc., and you can find it in midi on the web). You can do that for free. Or if you want to do some really cool recording, check out Mixcraft 5, and you can increase your instrument voices from 12 to hundreds, and be more selective about which midi tracks play or are muted. Mixcraft allows you to record and mix any number of tracks, using real input (guitar or microphone) or virtual instrument (midi). I've only scratched the surface here, but the Celviano is a fine midi interface.

To sum up, I'm extremely happy with the purchase for the amount of money we spent. My son's piano teacher says he'll need an acoustic piano sometime, but then again, she's very happy with his progress in his lessons, and his 'touch' doesn't seem to have suffered because of our inability to buy an expensive acoustic or digital piano at this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Piano for the Price!, July 11, 2010
I purchased this digital piano because the one I had was out of date. And because I teach piano online and needed something that sounded like a real piano. Well, I wasn't disappointed. The difference between the old Roland and this new Casio is like night and day!

The touch is fantastic. The piano sound is fantastic. And since I really only need the piano sound, that was of primary importance to me.

If you've been wary of buying this because of the 'Casio' name, put your worries to rest. Casio is to digital pianos as to what Samsung now is to television. They're now poised to become the #1 resource.

My recommendation? Buy it before the price goes up.

UPDATE...

It's been more than a year since I purchased this piano. Still sounds great, still works perfectly, and I still highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great digital piano for apartment living, March 24, 2011
lisibug (Portland, ME) - See all my reviews
I missed playing piano since moving into my new apartment, but wanted something that would give me the experience of playing on an acoustic piano - weighted keys, and a more substantial, 'furniture-y' appearance than just a keyboard. This piano was a fantastic deal, with lots of features and the very necessary headphone capability for apartment living. Most importantly, the sound of the piano is very good, even coming from past experiences on grand pianos - it sounds like an acoustic upright. The resonance of the higher notes is better than that of the much lower, but it's not very noticeable when playing.

Came with clear instructions. Assembly took two people and over 30 minutes. Once assembled, however, it's difficult to move the piano, so keep that in mind when you're getting it set up. Also, the included bench is built like a rock but is still comfortable.

Overall, I'm thrilled with this purchase. I'm not sure what other extra features you get for the Celviano 420 versus the 220 beyond ivory-type keys, but for my part I'm very satisfied with the 220 and am glad I didn't spend the extra money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, May 18, 2011
M. L. P. (Shrewsbury, Ma) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Casio AP220 about one month ago. My granddaughter had been using a Casio keyboard to practice her lesson, but had reached the point where she needed pedals to continue. Based on what I found online and at local music stores, this piano seemed to be the best in its price range. The Yamaha YDP141 has a slightly better look; however, both pianos have the same sound quality. I purchased the piano for $719 at a local music store that was having a 10% off sale. They charged $25 for delivery and setup.

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't sound quite like a piano, but useful and fun, December 15, 2011
Mark Binnig (Thompson, OH United States) - See all my reviews
After moving to an apartment and giving up my grand, I needed a keyboard. The price was right on this one. It feels like a piano and the sound is pretty good, although when you play it at low volume, it sounds more artificial. It also does tricks that my piano wouldn't do-- built in metronome, recording and other things. I'm having fun with the "pipe organ" and "harpsichord". Its biggest drawback is that the functions are controlled by piano keys and the labels are faintly printed above the keys. I have to get off the bench, kneel, and peer at the board above the keys to figure out which key does what.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio.. "Hits a Home Run", August 29, 2012
I have spent a lot of serious time researching digital pianos. In addition..I have owned a couple of Casio Keyboards and a Yamaha "Portable Grand" (which was very pricey).. I have also owned two baby grands ( 5.0 and 5.6) . I just sold my last Baby Grand .. Wanted to downsize from a large piano.. thus.. started looking at Digital Pianos..

I decide on this model.. Read all the reviews... went online and watched a couple of "promo" videos from other sites.. and "pulled the trigger"..

Well.. this unit is a "jewel".. Build quality is excellent.. the packing is excellent... the assmbly is a snap (need two people..box is huge and unit is heavy)

But... what about the sound quality.. Remember.. it is a digital piano.. it will never match an acoustic.. But this one is very close.. Like the tone selections ( grand, vibes, harpacord, electric, etc) .. and the other feaatures... which I will probably never use.. but they are there.. if I do..

As I just sold my Baby Grand... I have a "real time" comparason of the AP-220's sound.. which is very good.. key board weighting and touch is good.. and the retractable duct cover is a nice touch..... gives the unit a "finished" look.

The unit has a look of "quality".. the brown color tone is subdued and classic. Bench is very sturdy with metal legs and good build quality..

As I am a "Amazon Prime" member.. it was delivered "overnight" by Fedex..for $3.80 extra
The driver said that was a $350.00 plus savings.. because of the weight (over 119lbs) and the oversize box size.. If you buy at lot from Amazon... as I do... YOU must be a "Prme" member..
I also bought a 4 year extened warranty from "Square Trade".. "Mother boards" don't last forever and it is a nice "resale" plus.. I always consdier resale in my purchases.. I am a A/V geek and music lover.. I change/upgrade items.. often

If you are in the market for a digital piano... give this one some serious consideration..

5.0 out of 5 stars Just because it is cheap, that doesn't mean it's bad!, April 22, 2011
I got this digital piano when it was only $600 (WHAT A DEAL!) .. I was thinking about getting a used one as I had a really tight budget (I'm a student). First when I saw Casio AP220 50% off I thought it was refurbished or something (suspicious but I bought it anyway). Now I play beautiful classical pieces whenever I want without bothering other people. It feels like the real piano I used to play. I'm an intermediate-level player and this one is still okay for me. Anyway, that kind of deal is not going to come anytime soon because when I bought it, 50% off deal was gone in a couple of hours or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars No brainer for the price...., August 10, 2012
We bought this piano a year ago from Keyboard Concepts which has a one year trade in policy. Well we traded up to a beautiful Yamaha CLP430 (Clavinova) in polished ebony- but the funny thing is my wife and my daughter who is 8 years old and getting pretty good- both like many aspects of the Casio better. Actually my wife (who has been playing for 19 years ) thinks the Casio sounds more real. Not sure about that- the $3800 Yamaha (retail) certainly looks better- in polished ebony- but this Casio is one helluva deal at anywhere near this price point.

2.0 out of 5 stars The value far surpasses the price, June 14, 2012
This piano was not my first choice since a lot of more expensive brands. However, I chose this great piano because I didn't think it worth for me as a new piano student to buy a acoustic piano. The first time I touched its keyboard and listened closely to the sound, it really amazed me. It is really hard for me to pick a difference between its sound and a real brand piano. This piano changes my thought that money come with value and digital piano may suit many people more than a big brand piano. My question is how can this piano is so cheap while its quality is more than that. However, my only one complaint is that the keyboard is not ivory touch.

Update Ap 9 2013!
i sold this piano due to its lacking durability as time went by. They keyboard became so crappy. All I hear when playing in small volume is clicking noise. One of the key lost completely its sensitivity. Overall, this piano is good for beginner but not for professional and not for me, a power hitting piano player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio AP220 Celviano Digital Piano with Bench, August 17, 2012
What a nice surprise! The piano arrived in plenty of time; was easy to assemble; looks great; and best of all, it has a wonderful sound. But best of all - I still can't believe the price. We are so pleased.

Casio AP220 Celviano Digital Piano with Bench