4.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea But Has Learning Curve
Published 21 months ago by bsg2004

1.0 out of 5 stars This watch did not last
I purchased this watch in July and stopped working properly in September. The tiny digital window works but not reliable. The actual arms on the watch stopped moving even when it is being worn each day to school.
Published 17 months ago by Annaleah

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea But Has Learning Curve, May 9, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's AQ-S810W-1AV Solar Sport Combination Watch (Watch)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Casio Men's AQ-S810W-1AV solar sports combination watch comes in standard Casio watch packaging which is easy to open with hands, no nails or hardware needed. The watch is covered with a small plastic bag, mounted on the standard Casio watch tree. A red sign points out that this is a self-charging watch. There is a protective sticky on the face of the watch (that I removed).

The instructions are squeezed at the bottom of the watch tree. The diagrams are readable but the text may be too small for some. The guide is 64 pages long in English, followed by the same thing in Spanish. Warranty and City Codes are at the back of the booklet. Additionally there are two separate pieces of paper, a warranty and recharging tips (useful!). From what I can tell, the warranty is one year. The rechargeable battery does not need to be replaced unless it becomes defective or worn out. The Amazon outside packaging has a warning that a rechargeable lithium ion battery is inside.

As worn, the watch weighs 1.5 ounces. The adjustable part of the wrist strap covers 7cm with 11 holes. The watch part (excluding the wrist strap) is about 5cm by 5cm at the longest/widest. At the bottom of the watch, it says "water resistant ten bar".

The watch came with Medium charge out of the box. After two days of wearing it (and not doing anything specific to charge it) it went to High charge and has remained there since. On average I am outside 1-2 hours per day and I don't block the watch by sleeves. But I don't do anything else to charge it.

There is no tick tock sound when you put your ear to it. After you set the time digitally, the analog hands move to the correct time. You can't adjust the hands directly like you can with other watches - there is no crown.

In the dark, the hours/minutes hand along with the 3/6/9/12 numbers are visible. If you are used to analog watches, you should be able to tell time by those.

The digital display seems to have some sort of a power saving mode. If I take off the watch and don't wear it for a few hours, the digital display goes dark. After I put it on again, it comes alive. I don't know if it depends on motion or light exposure. Next to the digital display is a seconds counter. It counts 5 seconds, one at a time by darkening a 5-bar mini display.

I found some practical uses for the extra features: the Timer (TMR) is useful for brewing tea as long as your brewing time is the same every time. It remembers the previous setting, so you don't have to set it up every time. But if you want to use a different duration (eg 5 minutes instead of 3), you have to set up the Timer again. The Stopwatch (STW) is useful for typical stopwatch functions. It counts up to an hour. If the hour passes, it resets to zero but continues counting.

USABILITY ISSUES
There are a few usability issues with the watch itself:

The alarm sounds are very low and too short. Don't count on these to wake you up.

The digital display is fairly small with fairly small numbers.

There are three options for the digital display when it is in time/date mode: Day (eg THU) or Date (eg 5.9) pr Time (3:55). PM is a tiny little "P" on the bottom left corner of the small digital display. Each one of those three options end with the seconds ticking. If you find this irritating, simply switch to a different mode (eg Timer or Stopwatch or Alarm).

The Light (Right Side Top button) only lights up the digital display box, not the face of the watch.

POTENTIAL DEAL KILLER
So far this reads like a digital hippie's dream watch. But there is a problem. There is a learning curve that comes with it. The problem is two fold. The operating steps are cumbersome and the user guide is poorly written. Poorly because it describes the watch's menus and operations. A user guide needs to describe how you - the user - can get things done!

I am used to cumbersome operations, and I never a met a VCR I couldn't program (actually VCRs got a bad reputation, they were not _that bad_ to program). Setting this one up was more frustrating than programming a VCR. So if you get easily irritated by having to follow arcane instructions, this is something to keep in mind.

We are also more spoiled these days. When we have user friendly things like iOS and Android, the expectations increase for other devices as well. And people's patience grows thinner.

After spending a few days with it, I now sort of got the hang of it. Sort of! I had to surrender and submit to the will of the arcane instructions :) In general, the key to operations is the Left Side Bottom button (Mode). That drives the train. The Right Side Bottom button (Search) cycles through the options of each menu. The Left Side Top button (Adjust) is used for setting and resetting. The other button has some uses too. When changing numbers (eg minutes, date, etc), the two Right side buttons are used to increase or decrease the number. A press-and-hold makes the numbers move faster.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Watch - Recommended, May 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Casio Solar Sport Combination Watch is good looking and works well, without the need for batteries. This is a fairly large watch that fits me nicely, but it might not be the right choice on smaller wrists.

Pros -
+ Solar; never needs to have the batteries replaced and it does charge quickly in direct sunlight
+ Quality; this is a well made watch that will stand up to normal daily abuse
+ Looks; this is a good looking sports watch
+ Functionality; has the features I need, like timers, stopwatch, and alarms

Cons -
- No Second hand; seconds show in the little digital window but I really miss not having an analog second hand
- Small Digital Display; the watch has a lot of cool functions, but most are displayed in the small window that is hard to read without my glasses being on (younger eyes might not have this issue)

I have a nice sized collection of watches and change them to suite the need/occasion, so this watch fits nicely into the outdoor and camping use. The solar functionality is a big win for me, but I really do miss the second hand.

Recommended, with the caveats above!

CFH

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Military-look for a Great Price!, June 16, 2012
I bought this Casio based on seeing it at a local department store (for 2x what I payed here on good old Amazon). I love the semi-military look of the watch. The blackout dial and band with the solid purposely done face markings certainly look the part. I can imagine this watch on a scruffy soldier in some godforsaken desert battlefield.

Okay - enough of my fantasy. The watch arrived in good time, even with Amazon's free shipping option. Setting up the watch was simple - a few hits of the adjust and mode buttons (which are huge and easy to use), and I was in business. The watch arrives fully charged - no need to perch it on a window sill before setting the day/date/time. What's cooler than cool is the way the hands move "phantomly" on their own to the digitally set time. Awesome. Seriously - there's really no need to shell out $100+ at a department store for a cool military styled watch. For under $40, you get multiple alarms, world time, stopwatch, countdown timers... this watch really has it all. I was worried that the digital display might be on the small and hard to see size, but in person it's not a big deal. The graphics on the display make it easy to read at a glance. The fit and finish of this Casio is of the highest quality. I can see many many years of service for this little soldier. A+ buy in my opinion. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch especially for the price, June 29, 2012
Bought this watch about a week ago. I love it! It looks very sharp, gives you a bit of an intellegent look :-). I found this to be a very functional watch. The only thing I didn't like was the LED light on it, only lights up the digital part. However the hands are glow in the dark as well the numbers, and its very good size so easily read. I was very impressed with all the features including the Solar charged battery. Its been a great watch just be sure to read the owner's manual so you understand how the auto saver feature works on the watch and I think you'll enjoy the watch as much as I do. Also I have a swimming pool and have swam several times and the water resistance of 100M has worked great. I would recommend this watch to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome watch, a little big, February 7, 2013
Francis C. (OH / United States) - See all my reviews
I have the Casio Men's AQS800W-1B2VCF Slim Solar Watch And it is truly an awesome watch... except for the ORANGE color. I purchased this watch hoping to find a more versatile and neutral colored version.

The good news is that this watch looks great, and has the same awesome functions of the orange Slim model. Having the analog hands automatically sync up with the digital clock, maintenance free, is AMAZING. Most of casio's other budget minded analog-digital combo watches are set independently, you either have to set it with the standard twist dial, or you have to hold a button down forever and watch the minute hand spin around. The way this watch and it's slimmer orange brother function is just effortless. The digital display is very small, but well positioned easily read.

The bad news is that it's noticeably bigger. If you have medium wrists and up, you should be fine. If you have smaller wrists, this watch will probably be a bit big for you, unless that's the look you're going for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun sporty solar watch, April 24, 2013
Joseph Spiegel "Joe" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Casio Men's AQ-S810W-1AV Solar Sport Combination Watch

I am going to open this review with a simple bit of advice, DO NOT LOSE THE MANUAL. I've had numerous complicated watches over the years and I've needed to refer back to the manual on occasion. This is one of those types of watches. It is very hard to guess what button to press and how long to hold it for. That said this is a cool watch with only a very few nits to pick.

First you need to set the LCD display to the time zone you live in. This is the basis for the rest of the time features of the watch. Once that is done you can set the world time to another time zone or match it to yours. There are benefits to either setting. If you set world time to another zone you can use a long press on the Adjust button to have the watch quickly change to that zone. If you set the world time to your time the same button will enable and disable Daylight Savings Time. Another benefit of using the same time zone and having it display in the LCD is you can use the back light to see the time easier that the glowing arms. By the time you read this I'll have uploaded a set of pictures of this watch including fairly good dark shots. I'll note the features in the pictures.

As you can see by the images the face is very large and has nice clear legends. White markings and characters on a black background, some of which glow, dominate the face of the watch. The main part of the background is the solar cell which isn't discernible from the rest of the face. On the lower portion of the face is the small LCD which is how you use the advanced features and setup the watch. There is no crown to set the hands, you need to set the time zone and time and date via the LCD menu system. Then the watch moves the hands in to position and starts keeping time. Also available in the LCD are a stop watch, a timer, alternate time zone, the battery meter, alarms and the day and seconds display. This watch is loaded with features but the LCD is small enough that it makes those features clunky to use. There is also a marker in the LCD for noting if DST is active. The Search button rotates what is always visible in the LCD. You can see the date with seconds, the day with seconds or the alternate time.

The watch has a large 46mm face and if you have a small wrist it may be too large. Although, being made from mostly plastics with a stainless steel back, it's very light. So you may not mind the size. It is, for me, comfortable to wear. There are a lot of notches on the band to make sizing easy. As you can see in my pictures the band does not lie flat. It has a strong curvature and hugs your wrist. It also looks and feels like a quality band.

Overall this is fun sporty watch with a very reasonable price, below $40 as I write this. You won't need batteries as it is solar powered. Don't store this in the dark or you'll have to reset everything if it's in the dark for a long time. My only complaint is I wish the LCD was a little bigger.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want a watch that doesn't require to replace the battery like other watches, then this watch is for you., August 1, 2014
I've had this watch for about a week and had no issues setting the right time and date. I really do love the solar power feature on this watch and there's no need to replace the battery whenever it gets low and the solar power energy will do all the work. I had an Armitron watch back in 2010 and it was my first watch until band broke and the watch died due to the battery. This is my second watch I owned and I've always wanted a watch that has a solar power on it. For $40, it's an awesome watch for that price. Shipping came fast. I received last week on Saturday.

1.0 out of 5 stars This watch did not last, September 17, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch., September 30, 2013
I've had this watch a few weeks now. Solar battery feature seems to work well, and I have yet to see the battery level drop below "HI." Left it in a dark bedroom for awhile and the digital screen turned off, but it woke up upon a key press. Lots of good functions for a watch that costs so little. Multiple alarms, multiple time zones, stopwatch and timer, several other features. Like someone else mentioned, there is not a crown on this watch. You set the time on the digital screen, then the hands spin to where they should be. My only complaint: the face scratches easily. It is sunken in, which should protect it from some scratches, but mine already has several. Overall, though, I am pleased. I love the look of the watch and I would buy it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't count on Casio Warranty., July 11, 2014
The watch stopped working after two months use. It steamed up while I was on the tennis court. Casio refused to honor the warranty, claiming that "The watch had been opened." Right, like I'm going to buy a miniature jewelers' screwdriver to open the watch two months after buying it, if it was working OK.. Then they wanted $45 to repair & ship it to me. I told them that I'd bought it on Amazon for less than that, and their repair cost made no sense. No satisfaction.