Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Color: Black|Change

VINE VOICEon May 9, 2013
Color: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Casio Men's AQ-S810W-1AV solar sports combination watch comes in standard Casio watch packaging which is easy to open with hands, no nails or hardware needed. The watch is covered with a small plastic bag, mounted on the standard Casio watch tree. A red sign points out that this is a self-charging watch. There is a protective sticky on the face of the watch (that I removed).

The instructions are squeezed at the bottom of the watch tree. The diagrams are readable but the text may be too small for some. The guide is 64 pages long in English, followed by the same thing in Spanish. Warranty and City Codes are at the back of the booklet. Additionally there are two separate pieces of paper, a warranty and recharging tips (useful!). From what I can tell, the warranty is one year. The rechargeable battery does not need to be replaced unless it becomes defective or worn out. The Amazon outside packaging has a warning that a rechargeable lithium ion battery is inside.

As worn, the watch weighs 1.5 ounces. The adjustable part of the wrist strap covers 7cm with 11 holes. The watch part (excluding the wrist strap) is about 5cm by 5cm at the longest/widest. At the bottom of the watch, it says "water resistant ten bar".

The watch came with Medium charge out of the box. After two days of wearing it (and not doing anything specific to charge it) it went to High charge and has remained there since. On average I am outside 1-2 hours per day and I don't block the watch by sleeves. But I don't do anything else to charge it.

There is no tick tock sound when you put your ear to it. After you set the time digitally, the analog hands move to the correct time. You can't adjust the hands directly like you can with other watches - there is no crown.

In the dark, the hours/minutes hand along with the 3/6/9/12 numbers are visible. If you are used to analog watches, you should be able to tell time by those.

The digital display seems to have some sort of a power saving mode. If I take off the watch and don't wear it for a few hours, the digital display goes dark. After I put it on again, it comes alive. I don't know if it depends on motion or light exposure. Next to the digital display is a seconds counter. It counts 5 seconds, one at a time by darkening a 5-bar mini display.

I found some practical uses for the extra features: the Timer (TMR) is useful for brewing tea as long as your brewing time is the same every time. It remembers the previous setting, so you don't have to set it up every time. But if you want to use a different duration (eg 5 minutes instead of 3), you have to set up the Timer again. The Stopwatch (STW) is useful for typical stopwatch functions. It counts up to an hour. If the hour passes, it resets to zero but continues counting.

USABILITY ISSUES
There are a few usability issues with the watch itself:

The alarm sounds are very low and too short. Don't count on these to wake you up.

The digital display is fairly small with fairly small numbers.

There are three options for the digital display when it is in time/date mode: Day (eg THU) or Date (eg 5.9) pr Time (3:55). PM is a tiny little "P" on the bottom left corner of the small digital display. Each one of those three options end with the seconds ticking. If you find this irritating, simply switch to a different mode (eg Timer or Stopwatch or Alarm).

The Light (Right Side Top button) only lights up the digital display box, not the face of the watch.

POTENTIAL DEAL KILLER
So far this reads like a digital hippie's dream watch. But there is a problem. There is a learning curve that comes with it. The problem is two fold. The operating steps are cumbersome and the user guide is poorly written. Poorly because it describes the watch's menus and operations. A user guide needs to describe how you - the user - can get things done!

I am used to cumbersome operations, and I never a met a VCR I couldn't program (actually VCRs got a bad reputation, they were not _that bad_ to program). Setting this one up was more frustrating than programming a VCR. So if you get easily irritated by having to follow arcane instructions, this is something to keep in mind.

We are also more spoiled these days. When we have user friendly things like iOS and Android, the expectations increase for other devices as well. And people's patience grows thinner.

After spending a few days with it, I now sort of got the hang of it. Sort of! I had to surrender and submit to the will of the arcane instructions :) In general, the key to operations is the Left Side Bottom button (Mode). That drives the train. The Right Side Bottom button (Search) cycles through the options of each menu. The Left Side Top button (Adjust) is used for setting and resetting. The other button has some uses too. When changing numbers (eg minutes, date, etc), the two Right side buttons are used to increase or decrease the number. A press-and-hold makes the numbers move faster.
1515 comments|300 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 24, 2013
Casio Men's AQ-S810W-1AV Solar Sport Combination Watch

I am going to open this review with a simple bit of advice, DO NOT LOSE THE MANUAL. I've had numerous complicated watches over the years and I've needed to refer back to the manual on occasion. This is one of those types of watches. It is very hard to guess what button to press and how long to hold it for. That said this is a cool watch with only a very few nits to pick.

First you need to set the LCD display to the time zone you live in. This is the basis for the rest of the time features of the watch. Once that is done you can set the world time to another time zone or match it to yours. There are benefits to either setting. If you set world time to another zone you can use a long press on the Adjust button to have the watch quickly change to that zone. If you set the world time to your time the same button will enable and disable Daylight Savings Time. Another benefit of using the same time zone and having it display in the LCD is you can use the back light to see the time easier that the glowing arms. By the time you read this I'll have uploaded a set of pictures of this watch including fairly good dark shots. I'll note the features in the pictures.

As you can see by the images the face is very large and has nice clear legends. White markings and characters on a black background, some of which glow, dominate the face of the watch. The main part of the background is the solar cell which isn't discernible from the rest of the face. On the lower portion of the face is the small LCD which is how you use the advanced features and setup the watch. There is no crown to set the hands, you need to set the time zone and time and date via the LCD menu system. Then the watch moves the hands in to position and starts keeping time. Also available in the LCD are a stop watch, a timer, alternate time zone, the battery meter, alarms and the day and seconds display. This watch is loaded with features but the LCD is small enough that it makes those features clunky to use. There is also a marker in the LCD for noting if DST is active. The Search button rotates what is always visible in the LCD. You can see the date with seconds, the day with seconds or the alternate time.

The watch has a large 46mm face and if you have a small wrist it may be too large. Although, being made from mostly plastics with a stainless steel back, it's very light. So you may not mind the size. It is, for me, comfortable to wear. There are a lot of notches on the band to make sizing easy. As you can see in my pictures the band does not lie flat. It has a strong curvature and hugs your wrist. It also looks and feels like a quality band.

Overall this is fun sporty watch with a very reasonable price, below $40 as I write this. You won't need batteries as it is solar powered. Don't store this in the dark or you'll have to reset everything if it's in the dark for a long time. My only complaint is I wish the LCD was a little bigger.
review image review image review image review image
0Comment|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2012
I have multiple watches, so I bought this one as a occasional wearer that would display digital time in 24-hour format and not require periodic battery changes (The concurrent analog display was a bonus.) The slimmer design also appealed to me; most other Casio digitals are too thick for my taste. My use of the watch is as a timekeeper only that will automatically adjust to DST; I do not use the alarms, stopwatch, day/date displays, or keep track of time in other locations. The watch meets my expectations for a affordable price.
I was impressed that the watch arrived fully charged despite having spent 5 days in transit. With daily exposure to existing ambient and/or artificial light, it has not discharged past the point where the indicator reads "high" (or as the display abbreviates it, "HI").
Minor complaint is the strap; it seems to be designed to fit lager wrists and wraps around too far on my thinner one. The keeper sometimes lets the strap slip out of its confines and "stick out" too much, just a minor annoyance that requires tucking it back in. I think the strap will work better when it is broken in more. The watch is a real lightweight, so if you like heavy watches, avoid this one. And another caveat, the digital display is blocked when the analog hour hand is at or near the 6 o'clock position, so rely on the analog time reading at that time.
No one watch is perfect nor can meet all our needs, but I can't much fault this one for the price.
33 comments|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2012
Well, this is my first attempt at a video review. I couldn't find any videos on this watch out there when I was considering buying it, so I decided to make my own offering my general views on it. Something I forgot to mention was that the day of the week can be displayed in multiple languages. Also, the calender is self-adjusting accounting for the number of days in a particular month and leap years up to the year 2099.

The review turned out longer than I expected, so if you don't want to listen to me ramble on for 10 minutes and would rather skip ahead:
-I show off the lume at 5:19
-I demonstrate the backlight at 5:59
-I compare the watch face to a quarter for reference at 6:56
-I show what the watch looks like on my wrist at 7:19
77 comments|173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2012
Easy to read, VERY light weight, hence wrist band does not get stuck to skin - you don't even feel it. It's one of those watches that you don't even remember you're wearing it, until you need to check on the time.
Color: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Casio Solar Sport Combination Watch is good looking and works well, without the need for batteries. This is a fairly large watch that fits me nicely, but it might not be the right choice on smaller wrists.

Pros -
+ Solar; never needs to have the batteries replaced and it does charge quickly in direct sunlight
+ Quality; this is a well made watch that will stand up to normal daily abuse
+ Looks; this is a good looking sports watch
+ Functionality; has the features I need, like timers, stopwatch, and alarms

Cons -
- No Second hand; seconds show in the little digital window but I really miss not having an analog second hand
- Small Digital Display; the watch has a lot of cool functions, but most are displayed in the small window that is hard to read without my glasses being on (younger eyes might not have this issue)

I have a nice sized collection of watches and change them to suite the need/occasion, so this watch fits nicely into the outdoor and camping use. The solar functionality is a big win for me, but I really do miss the second hand.

Recommended, with the caveats above!

CFH
33 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2012
I got this watch as a graduation present and have had it for a few months now. My friend really knew me well to pick a watch like this because it's pretty much perfect for what I wanted.

Pros:
-Lightweight
-Solar panel constantly recharges battery when it's in the light
-It's analog (which looks very sleek) and digital (for functions, adjusting settings)
-Very rugged (I work at a chemical plant and have it on at all times; it isn't even that scratched after rugged daily use).
-The light feature is PERFECT. You can see the time and/or date in complete darkness yet it doesn't illuminate the whole watch face very brightly
-Water resistant to pretty much everything but deep diving

Overall this is a great watch and I probably would have paid about twice what it costs. It has everything I want in a watch (analog time, date, backlight, comfortable rubber strap) and nothing I don't. It's lightweight and rugged too. I give it 5 stars.
on June 16, 2012
I bought this Casio based on seeing it at a local department store (for 2x what I payed here on good old Amazon). I love the semi-military look of the watch. The blackout dial and band with the solid purposely done face markings certainly look the part. I can imagine this watch on a scruffy soldier in some godforsaken desert battlefield.

Okay - enough of my fantasy. The watch arrived in good time, even with Amazon's free shipping option. Setting up the watch was simple - a few hits of the adjust and mode buttons (which are huge and easy to use), and I was in business. The watch arrives fully charged - no need to perch it on a window sill before setting the day/date/time. What's cooler than cool is the way the hands move "phantomly" on their own to the digitally set time. Awesome. Seriously - there's really no need to shell out $100+ at a department store for a cool military styled watch. For under $40, you get multiple alarms, world time, stopwatch, countdown timers... this watch really has it all. I was worried that the digital display might be on the small and hard to see size, but in person it's not a big deal. The graphics on the display make it easy to read at a glance. The fit and finish of this Casio is of the highest quality. I can see many many years of service for this little soldier. A+ buy in my opinion. Love it!
11 comment|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2012
I've been an avid wearer of Citizen eco-drive watches for a couple of years but never wanted to wear them when working outside in the yard. This watch solves my problems. This Casio is very lightweight and easy to read and solar to boot. No more replacing batteries. I only have two issues with the watch. I have myself to blame for one. The resin / plastic / rubber watch band is uncomfortable on my skinny hairy wrists. So I replaced with an aftermarket Hadley-Roma leather band that I've had for a couple of years. Hadley-Roma Men's MSM890RA-200 20-mm Black Waterproof Leather Watch Strap It makes the watch much more comfortable for me. My other issue and the only reason it didn't get 5 stars is that indoors or in low-light situations, the face is a little difficult to read. It's not that you can't see the numbers or hands. They just don't stand out much. The luminous on the watch is hands only and they fade pretty quickly. I would recommend this watch.
review image review image
on January 12, 2012
Great Watch- totally worth its value and then some. Being in the military requires something that can take a beating and this watch is it. The analog works perfectly and keeps great time. As a caveat to one of the previous reviews this is made of the same material as the g-shock watches, its just not as thick. I owned a g-shock and another casio watch prior to this, the g-shock broke after about 4 years of taking a beating (chipped the face of it on a rock and eventually the crack grew and the face was ruined). I hope to get at least 4 years out of this watch. Had a luminox for about 2 years and the hands fell off. For the price of a luminox or top-of-the-line g-shock you could buy 4 of these. Plus- ITS SOLAR POWERED.

Overall, another great product from Casio. Buy it, you won't regret it.