Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Casio Men's AQS800WD-1EV Slim Solar Multi-Function Analog-Digital Watch
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on January 23, 2013
Hi,

Got it after reading all the reviews here. I'll not repeat on what's stated here. Just my experience:
1. The strap size with which the watch gets shipped with - you got to be having a wrist like He-Man! Would have helped if they shipped with a size that fits an average person. That way everyone doesn't have to adjust the strap before using it. Adjusting it is not that easy. The pins in the links come out fine - it's the final step of detaching the link from the rest is tedious. Few of my links have bent permanently - and I still don't know the correct way to do it.

2. The digital display where it shows either mon.date sec or hh:mm sec or day sec should have been mon.date day or hh:mm sec, like most ana/digtal watches. The way that it is, you end up changing the display twice - once to get the day (mon/tue/wed etc.) and once to get the date. Why would anyone continuously need seconds when one wants to see either the day or the date?

3. When you enter the world time mode, you can only 'travel' east. So if you by mistake overstep the required timezone, you have to go all the way across the remaining (30) timezones, till you come back to what you wanted. Pretty tedious. A quicker way would be to use another button to navigate it the other way round.

4. They have used a uni-directional servo motor it seems. While switching the timezones or when toggling the DST, I would have expected the watch move the hands in the shortest way - to conserve batteries. So if you travel west (i.e. need to lose time), the watch ends up pushing the hands in clockwise direction till it reaches the desired timezone. So if you had even moved the time zone by half hour, you'd have the watch moving the hands like mad! I think a simpler way would be to reverse the polarity so that the servo motor gets reversed.

Updated: 29th April '13: Switched of DST on 07th April. The watch to my surprise, moved the hands anti-clock wise direction to lose time! So that means a bi-directional motor *is* being used. Wonder why they didn't activate this, when losing time while switching time zones.

5. Would have preferred a white dial. But didn't see one out for sale.

6. The digital display for 5 sec mark is a total waste.

Apart from that I find my watch has not lost or gained more than a sec in the past 6 months! That pretty much sums it up. It does it's job - show time - perfectly.

I am more than happy with that!
on December 5, 2012
Pros

- Nice looking bezel, dial, hands and band
- Very detailed dial
- Solar battery charging
- Very accurate (about one second per week fast)
- Useful modes (battery level indicator, world time, five alarms, two countdown timers, stopwatch)
- Can show month/date or day of week
- Analog time is very easy to read due to contrast between light hands and dark dial
- Luminous hands and hour markers (some other similar Casio watches omit the luminous markers)
- LED light for digital display works well
- Interesting 5-second counter to right of digital display (seconds 1-5 count in black, seconds 6-10 count in white)
- Functions are relatively easy to use
- Stainless steel band with secure latch
- Thinner than most similar watches
- Inexpensive

Cons

- Case is resin, not stainless steel
- Crystal appears to be acrylic (Amazon says it's mineral glass)
- No second hand (but seconds show in digital display in timekeeping modes)
- Can't show day and date simultaneously
- Can't show seconds in world time mode
- Countdown timer limited to 100 minutes
- Stopwatch limited to 60 minutes
- In world time mode, timezone can only be changed going east, but not west
- Minute hand obscures information when it sweeps past digital display at the bottom of the hour
- Bezel does not rotate (decorative only)
- Band is quite stiff and squeaks a bit in the sections that attach to the case

Notes

- My watch arrived charged to the "Mid" battery level, and was brought up to "Hi" after several hours sitting in a sunny window sill. It remains to be seen how easily the solar charge can be maintained at the "Hi" level.
- Minute hand doesn't align with all markers (some are better aligned when seconds are at zero, others when seconds are at 20; for reading time "at a glance" via the hands, this is of no consequence; to read time more precisely, the digital display can be used)
- Download the PDF manual to get a larger font than with the tiny included manual

Overall

- A very nice, good looking, full featured watch for the money. Highly recommended.

Update #1

- I found the supplied metal band quite uncomfortable to wear, because it pulls arm hairs. I replaced the band with an SK New York 18mm black with white stitching croco leather band (available on eBay for about $13.50). The watch is a lot more comfortable to wear now, so I find myself wearing it much more often.

Update #2

- To give the watch a sportier look, I replaced the band again, this time with a Clockwork Synergy 2-piece 18mm nylon black/khaki band, which is available on Amazon and eBay. The khaki stripes on the band go very well with the brownish yellow color on the bezel and dial of the watch.
on April 12, 2012
Dial is easy to read due to its size, stark black background vs white hands/hr markings and luminescence at night helps. My small wrist required removal of 4 links in the band, which was relatively easily accomplished. The minute hand does temporarily interfere with ability to view date/alarm window, although hr hand does not. One of its best features is the solar 10yr battery life. Thickness with this battery is about maxed out for most. Alarm feature is main reason I bought the watch but it is too soft and only lasts about 10 seconds. It is just inadequate to function as an alarm to awaken one in the morning. That is the reason only 3 stars, other functions work well.
on September 18, 2014
I purchased this watch hoping for it to last a long time with solar power and a metal band. Sadly, the case turns out to be a piece of junk made of cheap plastic that lasted a total of 4 months before it broke - and it did not have hard use. As for the good, it keeps time very well and I love the time zone and daylight saving time features;. It has many other features, such as a stop watch that I do not care about, but are there if you want them. Because of the cheap plastic case, I cannot recommend this watch. Even worse is the case is specifically excluded from the warranty - Casio must have known they were selling junk. The only reason I gave it 2 stars is I was able to repair the case with super glue and it has lasted 2 days so far. But we shall see if the super glued part goes before another part of the case. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS PRODUCT!
UPDATE on 10/3/14: I contacted Casio customer service to give them a change to replace or repair this defective watch. They refused saying because I used super glue as a temporary fix, they would not cover repair of the watch case. With this very poor customer service, I will boycott Casio products in the future.
on January 20, 2012
I really like this watch. It is very elegant looking and very light weight indeed. It does not look very big for my medium sized wrists and I love the fact that it has a solar cell in it and that it will not require a battery change. The only minor negative point about this watch is that the backlight does not illuminate the whole dial like it does in the TIMEX watches
on December 7, 2011
I bought this watch because the price and the solar function. I have to say, after a month of own it, it has been a great buy.
Two Years review:
Still a great watch, still with full battery. Looks like this watch will last forever.
on May 2, 2013
The watch looks good and the alarms work--very helpful re medication timing. But it isn't easy to set the various functions, and it takes a while to learn how to get to the function you want. The watchband is made for someone with a very large wrist and as others have noted, when the analog hands are in the region of 6:30 you can't read what's in the small digital screen. One of the best things about this watch is that it's solar--no need for batteries!
on February 23, 2012
The watch I received was defective and was returned. The minute hand would not correctly synchronize with the digital display clock and was always 2 minutes off. And it's impossible to adjust it manually because it's self-adjusting.

The metal strap on this watch is cheap and terribly stiff and the hairs on my wrist would constantly get caught in between the links making it very painful to wear.

I do not recommend this watch primarily for the cheap metal strap. I own 3 other digital Casio watches with metal straps and never had a problem. I'm a bit disappointed with Casio on this one.
on January 28, 2013
I bought this watch as a 'step up' from the usual sport watches with plastic bands and full digital faces. I've been told by several people that it looks like a much more expensive watch. All the needed digital functions are there and easy to use. The solar charging hasn't been a problem here in Oregon even with all the clouds. I just leave it in a window sill facing the sun for a few hours when it's sunny and it seems to hold the charge well. I would recommend it to anyone looking to get an 'inexpensive' watch that looks like it costs more than it does.
on February 26, 2014
For the price and features you can't go wrong. This watch looks much better in person or on your arm than the picture. I like the analog digital features, I have a few other Casio's that are all digital I am not real happy with a full time digital watch not sure why I guess 50 some odd years with analog will spoil you to a certain type. I will still use the digital watches for weekend causal or what ever just not every day. This one will fit the bill.
I did have to re-sync the hands fresh out of the box, it was not a problem following the instructions and now the hands align perfectly with the marks. I like the fact it's solar hopefully won't ever need a battery, I use the countdown timer and stop watch functions all the time on my digital watches that's one thing I like about them.
The digital display is pretty small on this watch, I wear glasses and have no problem seeing the digits but I can see why some would be bothered by how small it is especially if your on the fence about wearing your glasses, I just wear my glasses all the time so it's not an issue.