4.0 out of 5 stars good watch for a low price
Published on September 13, 2006 by Willy

If you have the least bit of active lifestyle - and by active, I mean that you move around the house, probably step out once or twice a dayhea into public spaces - then avoid this watch.

Published on March 16, 2011 by jessops

4.0 out of 5 stars good watch for a low price, September 13, 2006
Willy (Santa Cruz) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's AW80-1AV Forester Ana-Digi Databank 10-Year Battery Watch (Watch)
I purchased this watch for work and exercising and after using it for a day I'd say it performs admirably; one certainly cannot complain about the price. Shipping wasn't particularly cheap, but Fed Ex 2 day never is. Stopwatch and timer functions work perfectly, but appear limited to 23:59:59 at max. The daylight savings toggle is handy, and Casio allows a one or two button combination to rapidly set the analog dial in increments of about twenty seconds. The alarm is moderately loud, on par with every other Casio I've used. 30 cities to choose from for world time is a nice bonus if you care.

Some annoyances:

The 'illuminator' light ring is VERY poorly designed and appears to consist of two yellow LEDs embedded in a clear plastic ring under the outside edge of the 'crystal'. When in use, analog time is just visible but the recessed LCD screen is totally unusable. If low-light or nighttime use of the stopwatch or timer is important to you buy something with an electroluminescent face instead of this.

The 30 entry data bank function is probably very handy in a pinch, but entering letters and numbers by using the two watch buttons is incredibly slow. Use your cell phone or a little black book.

The numbers on the outside of the dial are redundant with the ticks on the inside of the dial. One or the other would be preferable for aesthetic reasons.

The battery will probably not last nearly ten years if the analog time is adjusted often or the 'illuminator' is used too often.

I prefer leather bands over resin, but that can always be swapped out at a drug store or mega mart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, great price, February 15, 2010
I've long been a fan of casio watches - they're the prefect mix of affordability, quality and durability. I bought this watch to replace my prior casio which after about 7 years had a scratched up crystal and two of the buttons were becoming too difficult to push (one of which was the light).

This watch was very easy to program, and had all the features I wanted. The digital numbers are easy to read, multiple alarms, world times for different cities are a nice feature (we have friends in Europe, and it's always nice to know the time over there prior to calling).

As other reviewers have noted, you cannot see the digital output when you use the light in the dark...you can see the digital numbers on my timex explorer, but you still can't do anything with the digital programming while you're holding down the light button on the timex...so I really don't see this as a problem with the casio. All I ever want to do at night it simply check the time, and the light allows you to read the hands perfectly.

One note on the "notes/memo" function on this watch...I think it's a vestige from the days before cell phones and PDAs. I can't imagine taking the time to program in someone's phone number or a note about something...much easier to do that on my Blackberry. Still, it's there if anyone wants to use it.

As I mentioned earlier in this review, I have a timex expedition which is a digital/analog watch that I never use. If you're curious why I don't use it, it's because the thing is heavy and the ticking sound is too loud and keeps me from wearing the watch at night. I actually use the watch alarm as my daily alarm - it's loud enough to wake me up while not disturbing my wife. However, with the timex, neither of us can get to sleep with that loud, annoying, ticking sound.

The casio is silent, and it's light - almost like not wearing a watch at all. Both of these are huge pluses in my opinion.

Finally, I think this is a nice looking watch. Not gaudy - one I can wear to work or as a casual watch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Scratched glass in a week. Costs more than price of watch to repair, March 16, 2011

The glass scratches very very quickly, in fact so quickly that I am a little stunned. I've worn watches for the past 20 years, and I had a much more active lifestyle as a student for a majority of those years. I was active in sports and theater, and I've never had a watch scratch as quickly as this one. What is the glass made of? Why do I keep calling it glass, when it is clearly cheap plastic.

I asked Casio how much they would take to repair this $18 watch. They said $12 to change the glass, and $9 to ship it back to me.

1.0 out of 5 stars 10 year battery but you'll be lucky if the watch lasts 1 year!, September 14, 2011
Casio = Poor quality and terrible customer service! I am not very hard on my watches yet this watch began to show cosmetic wear after a few short months. I also purchased a similar model at Amazon which ceased to function and Casio did not honor their warranty. Prior to the two Amazon purchases, I bought a Casio watch when on vacation. It died within a few weeks and I thought it must have been a counterfeit. Well I know the two I bought from Amazon are genuine and now I understand that, not only does Casio make a shoddy product, but also that they have terrible customer service and will not honor their own warranty. Shame on you Casio. Needless to say, I will never buy another.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice watch, December 23, 2009
great for my workouts and casual outings. many compliments from friends. Subtle styling and great functionality

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch review, June 7, 2008
It's a good product at a good price, but I don't know why it was billed as a thermometer watch when it has no thermometer. A Casio watch I ealier owned actually had a thermometer. Also the count-down timer has no alarm, which seems unusual. But these problems are not so substantial that I want to return the watch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad experience, December 22, 2011
Though I'm a very loyal customer of Casio but this watch just break my perceptions.
The watch has stopped fucntioning just after two three months. Only digital display giving the correct time.
Scarcity of Authorized Service centre only added pain.Casio Men's AW80D-7A Sports Chronograph Alarm 10-Year Battery Databank Watch

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely cheap, incredibly easy to damage, November 9, 2006
Willy (Santa Cruz) - See all my reviews
The 'crystal' of this watch is in fact made out of plastic, which causes it to become marred and scratched nearly as soon as it's removed from the containing box. The backlight is almost totally worthless and the databank function is unusable with a total of four buttons. The analog dial does not even feature a second hand.

Avoid.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Good, December 25, 2011
This watch is truly a piece of crap. It is not worth a single penny. Very hard to set, not easily read and looks extremely cheap. Don't waist your money on this watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Swiss army knife of a watch, May 1, 2012
Good point - watch has a light. Overkill - watch stores phone numbers, has 3 alarms (2 is more than enough). Keeps time in various world cities. Set analog time with button combinations. Watch has too much and god help you if you lose the owner's manual. Oh did I tell you there is a Daylight Savings Time mode that I also couldn't figure out. So the price is great and you get more than you'll need or probably ever use.

Rate and Discover Movies