Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage GNO Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

on September 29, 2007
My previous Casio analog / digital watch was wearing out. Its digital screen was so tiny that it was nearly unreadable.

This watch met and exceeded my expectations. It is easy to set and operate. I like its non-gaudy and stylish appearance. Its digital display is easy to read. The promise that it could run for 10 years without adjustment based upon its perpetual calendar and lithium battery is also attractive.

There are minor problems, but they don't really detract from the overall rating (5 stars).
- If you insist on checking the time in the dark several times a day using the internal light, the battery won't last the full 10 years. (The 10 years is based upon one 1.5 second check per day.)
- The rated accuracy of +/- 30 seconds per month is not so great, but I'm expecting it will exceed that as my last Casio watch did.
- One can only go forward, not backward when setting the analog time, which means that if you overshoot the time, you have to watch the minute hand go 'round again almost 12 times.
- There is no second hand.

I wasn't expecting perfection for under $20; I am certainly very pleased.
on April 29, 2007
I have had this watch for @ 2 months now. I say for under 20 dollars it's a pretty good watch. It has kept perfect time over 2 months. It is lightweight and the band is very comfortable. I like having the analog hands and being able to display the digital date/time.

Now in no way do I expect this watch to be anywhere near the quality of my Citizens Chronograph, my Invicta Diver or my Swiss Army Officers watch. The Casio is a watch I bought for bumming around.

On the negative side, the light does not do a very good job of illumination. Additionally, setting the time is really cumbersome. Setting the anaog time is not too bad, but setting the digital date and time is really a pain. Keep the instructions handy, you will need it when you have to change the time.

All in all, for @ 15 dollars, it is a nice decent watch. A good value purchase
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Casio Men's World Time Watch (Model AW80-7AV) has a couple of compelling good points: first, it is very cheap and does have numerous features (though many of them are of questionable value); second, it seems to be reasonably accurate. If this is all you care about, this could be a good watch for you.

The watch has several cons to be wary of, however. It is very light (which is actually a plus) but the band is extremely thin and flimsy. In other words, it is cheap and looks it. More annoying though is the very dim light for use in low light: it is completely inadequate and makes the functionality in the inset digital portion of the face next to worthless; the lack of contrast between the hands and watch face also contribute to the legibility issue. Most irritatingly, though, is that it doesn't have a set knob, even for the analog hands. I fly for a living and frequently cross back and forth between time zones. I had read that the watch could only be set in a forward direction, which was annoying but not a deal breaker. What is not evident is the lack of a setting knob, which means that each time you need to change the time (or do anything else, for that matter) you have to use an array of complex inputs with the four buttons which is not only very time consuming (the watch advances in 20 second increments), but also requires consultation with the ridiculously complex and thick instruction manual.

While this watch may be suitable for people who don't cross time zones frequently, use it in daylight, and don't mind referring to the manual frequently (or memorizing a huge quantity of mundane, unintuitive minutiae), for anyone else, and especially for frequent travelers, I recommend finding another watch.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I like analog watches, but occasionally need a stop watch, timer, alarm, etc. This one fits the bill almost perfectly. It's also inexpensive enough to not worry about.

However... the crystal is pretty soft, and it scratches easily. If you work in an office and move papers and a mouse, it'll probably be fine. However, I work with tools and am fairly hard on the things I wear. The band is plastic, and when you sweat, it gets a litle slippery.

For the price, it suits me just fine - I'll just throw it away in a few years when it's all beat up.
!
Got this watch to replace another CASIO watch that was similar and had finally become too expendable due to wear to justify the repair of a minute hand that had become detached from the shaft.

That watch was a FORESTER ILLUMINATOR model that had outlasted two previous bands and was over 10 years old. Yeah, I believe that CASIO is the only way to go in these low-cost "work" watches.

So when I saw this watch's features, feedback, and sales rank it looked like my new work watch. While I can't attest to its long-term service, I can say that it is very accurate. [I check both it's digital and analog time against my cellphone which is always dead-on accurate compliments of Verizon]

I suspect it will last a long, long time like my last CASIO.

A NOTE ABOUT THE DATABANK FEATURE: At first I was not going to use this function at all but then I reconsidered, thinking to myself:

"Well what if the Neocon Newtster from Jawja is right and the Tal-ee-ban does blow up a "nukular" in Dallas? Won't everything go to Hades in a handbasket and me - I might just get caught somewhere without my cellphone and all the numbers and contacts that I have in it?"

So, anyway, you get my drift, I decided to use the DATABANK to store important numbers that I don't have memorized etc. - and a few that I do - just in case I get hit by a train and have amnesia! Ha! [And in that I find it to be extremely useful - potentially]

PROS:

-Nice looking and clear, uncluttered analog face.
-DATABANK feature is great back-up storage for important numbers.
-Buttons work better than any similar watch I have used to date.
-Fairly intuitive set-up and usage of the watch's many features.
-Outstanding "bang for your buck".

CONS:

-Black rubber band is pretty pedestrian but should be hypo-allegenic.
-Crystal may scratch easily like my last CASIO.
on February 17, 2011
I basically agree with other reviewers, this is a good watch, good functionality & quality for the price.
I've had it a year and a half now and just had to change the battery - not exactly 10 years as advertised...
After you change the CR2025 battery, you'll need to reset it (first watch I've had that needs this). There's a little label inside that tells you about it but I couldn't quite figure out what to do. So I googled the label wording, and this is the "critical step" that needed done:
Perform a reset by touching the AC contact with one part of the tweezers and the back of the battery with the other part. Hold for a few seconds. Lift the watch carefully and look up at the front to make sure the watch is working. Do not turn the watch over. (in the absence of very sharp tweezers, I used an unbent paper clip instead)
This is actually my now 8-year old son's watch, and he still loves it. It looks huge on him but he likes having a "real" watch with a stop watch and timer, and we - the parents - likes that it has hands so he learned how to read an analog watch. Plus, it's water proof which is a must for a kids watch.
I'd buy it again anytime.
on April 15, 2008
I bought 2 of these when local WM was clearing this model out. I have owned digital, analog and digi/ana. The reason I bought 2 was, besides liking the style, had 2 concerns about durability. One was the plastic band. I usually try to stick with metal bands because I have a habit of catching bands on things and breaking them (or the pins that hold them.) That's why I generally buy inexpensive watches for work so I can just buy another when the band breaks. The second concern was that the face is made of plastic and has no bands or raised ridges for protection. I figured that, even if the band held up, I would have the face pretty scratched up in no time.

I'm happy to report that after more than a year, the wristband and pins are very solid and flexible. Also the face, even though it does have a few small scratches, still looks so good that I don't feel uncomfortable wearing it "out on the town."

I used the telememo feature a couple of times in the beginning, but it's a little time-consuming so I wouldn't recommend buying the watch on the basis of that feature. I have used the world time feature on a couple of trips and it's pretty handy. The countdown timer is awesome for everything from cooking to remembering to turn off the sprinklers. I had that feature on a couple of G-Shocks I've owned and it's hard to realize the convenience of not having to check a stopwatch 1000 times while you're waiting on something to complete if you've never had one. I shower in it almost every day and have been swimming with it many times, and the face has never fogged up. The backlight surprised me at first, in that it lights up the analog part of the watch and not the digital readout, but I quickly got used to that.

Overall, it's a great watch. It's very accurate and durable, as I've sort of come to expect from Casio. I'm also happy with the fairly neutral styling that's welcomed in most any situation. If you're looking for bling, you must have missed the picture on the way to this review lol. I have a Movado for that, but don't use it as much as I used to since I got this Casio.

I almost forgot to mention that the 2nd AW80-7AV I bought is still in the original package, which boasts a 10-year battery life, so it should be ready to take over when I need it to.

Update: my concerns about the plastic band and plastic face were both justified. I don't take my watch off much at all, but time and wear has now claimed both bands. Plan on replacing this watch after no more than 6-12 mos for that reason. Both faces are also pretty scuffed up, but if you think you can avoid scratching the face you might want to invest in one of the metal band versions of this watch AW80D-7AV AW80D-2AV or AW80D-1AV which should last for years.
on May 1, 2012
Awesome look and feel. Has the right look for everyday use, and not bad for the price, also just right for someone with a small (or even larger) wrist. Not bulky looking at all, tho not slim or slinky but sharp and did I say, a great deal?! Even if the battery lasted less than 5 years, as I like to push the buttons, that wont be a bad thing. This port subject to my update as I reach that time frame. I would trade 1 expensive watch for 3 others of this thing -alternate color for different occasions.

One gripe is that you can't see too well the sunken LCD display even with the ample amber lighting within the circumference of the watch. I've set analog hands to tell me the local time and left the digital display for other use or function. This is why it is only a 4 star rating. Always, a room for improvement, but perfectly satisfied, otherwise.
on February 15, 2011
It was the type of display I was looking for especially with the date display. A little difficult to set up at first but not to bad. Easy to read and very clear. I bought 2 watches on Amazon for less than I could find one in the store. I could not find this type of display in any of the local stores. I will recommend them to others.
on July 1, 2013
UPDATE TO PRIOR REVIEW: Battery just went out on this product. Had it 7 months, so I guess we're short of the 10-year battery by 9 years and 5 months. Cost to send back and get work done is not even worth it. I'll buy a watch at a Big Box. When you spend less than $20 on a watch, you get what you paid for.

--------------------------------------

I just bought this and I really like this watch, but to have this as an Alarm or adjusting it is laborious. Just look at the Owners Manual and you have to click 4x here to get 5 adjustments there....a pain, but for $20 and to see a plastic banded watch that looks like a good business watch and can be used for casual events, I really like it. I just want to see how long this battery lasts as most expensive watches have a disappointing 1-2 year life and I'd really love to see this last more than 2 years. Heck, I bought a watch at a cheap department store 7 years ago and that watch still is ticking.....