4.0 out of 5 stars 7 years of good usage
Published on June 6, 2009 by C. Alarcon

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Watch - Bad Warranty
I used to love this watch. In fact, I've owned three of them over the years - all virtually identical. Sure, they only lasted me a few years each, but for the price you shouldn't expect Rolex reliability. When they are working, they are great - a lot of good features, reasonably attractive, very accurate.
HOWEVER, my latest one lasted only long enough to get...
Published 22 months ago by Michael C. Herrington

4.0 out of 5 stars 7 years of good usage, June 6, 2009
This review is from: Casio Men's AW80D-1AVCB 10-Year Battery Ana-Digi Bracelet Watch (Watch)
Well, this coming August is going to be 5 years wearing, using and abusing this watch. No problems so far with it, the battery is still strong (the backligt feature has not dimmed at all) and water resistance is definitively there. I use it at least once a week for swimming in a pool, and I have taken it a few times for short dives in the ocean. Some people dismissed the data bank feature as "useless" or "a thing of the past" just because we have now so many other devices (blackberries, iphones, even regular cellphones). However, I still use my watch to store critical, usually short information such as alarm passwords (like my office's, which is changed monthly), password combinations for banking, websites, etc. I guess I could use my cellphone for that as well, but in terms of retriving, nothing beats a look at the wrist and pressing a couple of buttons! My only big complain with this watch over 5 years is how easily the crystal picks up scratches. I have to admit that I am partly to blame for that. I've used it on several rough camping trips, and I have no pitty on the watch when it comes to using it...just love it. I hope I can give another update in 5 years, possibly with the battery still alive.

- Update, July 1st 2010: Well, now oficially well into the second quinquennium, I can only say that the watch just keep on going, no problems to report, just a few more scratches than a year ago. The 10-year battery life looks more and more like a reality for this little jewel.

-Update, June 2011: OK, this is a good run for the watch. After 7 years, the battery finally died. No complaints; 7 out of 10 years is not bad at all. Highly recommended time piece.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, great appearance and features, December 13, 2006
As the watch band was too large for me, I had to remove one link. It was not difficult as one side of band has 7 links, the other 6. If smaller adjustment is needed, remove one of the links from the side that has 7 links, don't remove the link next to the clasp, remove the one next to it. Look at the back of the band. You will see arrows and below them, a small opening with a round raised nub. To remove a link, insert a small jeweler's type screw driver and PRESSING DOWN, at the same time push on nub in the direction of the arrow and the link will come out part of the way. It can be removed with needle nose pliers or if it's already loose enough, may be able to pull the pin out with your fingers. The watch has many great features. I highly recommend this watch, not only for its appearance but for the sheer number of outstanding features.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good looking, inexpensive watch, September 22, 2007
Kaushik Ghose "kghose" (Hyattsville, MD United States) - See all my reviews
The watch looks sober and stylish.

PROS:
1. Casio make, presumably good quality materials and movement.
2. Nice design

CONS:
1. Light is feeble and does not illuminate the digital panel
2. Case of watch is not completely stainless steel, lower part is resin. In my last casio the resin clasp for the watch band broke. I bought this because I thought it would be stainless steel, but its not really.
3. The mineral dial cover is convex, so it will pick up scratches (like my last casio). I prefer flat watches
4. The watch is thick (say 3/60")

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Casio Men's Ana-Digi Bracelet Watch #AW80D-1AV, January 1, 2008
Excellent product for the price. Great functionality. Time is very easy
to read. Stainless steel bracelet with clasp makes it a robust watch
to wear while working. Day-date and world-time features are a great plus.
Have had the watch for a month and it has been working out really well.
Only downside -- watch mechanism is encased in plastic with steel overlap -- would have preferred this to be complete steel like the band.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Watch - Bad Warranty, September 28, 2012
HOWEVER, my latest one lasted only long enough to get splashed on a log ride at an amusement park. I'm guessing that the seals/gaskets were improperly installed and water leaked inside the case. I know that it was on my wrist for a little less than a month before it got splashed and now it had stopped dead.
No problem, I thought, as it warranted for a year and is supposed to be water resistant to 50 feet. "I'll just send it to Casio for repair or replacement," I said.
So I sent it to Casio's west-of-the-Mississippi warranty repair facility called The Time Machine. They sent me a card saying repairs would be free, but they needed $9.95 for shipping and handling. I sent the $9.95, noting that now the shipping both ways has just about equaled the original cost of the watch. Oh well, it's worth it to get the watch fixed - I really liked the watch.
Imagine my surprise when I received a box from The Time Machine a week later, containing my still-dead watch! A cryptic notation on the invoice said "Physical damage voids the warranty." THERE WAS NO PHYSICAL DAMAGE! I can only surmise that The Time Machine thinks that splashing water on the watch constitutes "physical damage".
A series of email exchanges with Casio yielded no better suggestion than I send it to their east coast facility at my own expense. No thanks, Casio, that would make this experience exceed the cost of a new watch.
So I'll throw this watch away and get a new watch, but not another Casio. Despite my good experiences in the past, Casio's failure to honor their warranty has soured me on their products.
If you buy this watch, enjoy it, but don't get it wet. Most are water resistant; some clearly are not!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing watch for $18, October 10, 2005
ylc (Santa Clara, CA) - See all my reviews
This is a really good watch. Looks and feels solid, has all the functions that I would want from a watch. The telememo is kindof pointless in these days of cell phones, but I like it to store misc information. I got this from Chelsea Watch and I am totally happy with the service. They shipped it really fast. (Their price may be a little bit higher, but the shipping is lower than others)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch for the price, August 13, 2007
Donald Glueck "Don" (Redmond, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
I have worn this watch every-day for the past eighteen months. It is an exceedingly accurate time piece, and has held up through very rough use. I am about to order another one with different color faceing. Changing the digital and analog times is a challenge, follow instructions carefully.

4.0 out of 5 stars TWO IMPORTATNT POINTS!!, May 12, 2008
I really like this watch. Yes, the lense is plastic and it did scratch quickly but I wear it working as a handyman everyday. However!! I did make the lense look new again by using a product called "liquid lense" that I had purchased some time ago to take out scratches from eye glasses (stil available online). Second important point is that of removing a link or two to make the bracelet fit your wrist. Google-"watch band sizing", go to "How to resize the most common bracelets", then go down to "casio" and find out how easy it is to remove a link!! I couldn't have done this without seeing this site. I didn't find this watch to small or large or to thick or thin. It is just right!! and I love the countdown feature!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Steal a watch !!!, October 20, 2005
McBud (Northern Hemisphere) - See all my reviews
"Smart looking watch. Instruction manual requires patience. But what a deal! $18 and change for a watch that looks great and has the bells and whistles! Thanks alot . You'll get my business again. Great gift idea, too!"

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, October 20, 2009
Scott Tabor (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
when I recieved this watch my first impression was it was very sleek looking. After playing with it for a while I realized it was very confusing to set, but not to confusing to where you can not do it if you take the time. The band looks nice but is not easy to re-size so I will have to take it to a jewler as opposed to doing it myself.

Doesnt anyone make a basic watch anymore that just tells time and the date? But is also nice looking?

Rate and Discover Movies