Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on November 6, 2004
I like a watch with analog hands, but with digital features. Since they are hard to find these days, I ordered this one.

The good:

The LCD portion of the watch is very easy to read.

The watch seems accurate so far.

The analog portion of the watch is controlled by the digital, so it should stay as accurate as the digital portion. (The minute hand clicks 1/3 of a minute every 20 seconds.)

The bad:

The digital portion of the watch has so many features that it is difficult to use. Do I really need three alarms? The watch can store 30 phone numbers in it. Ten years ago that could have been useful, but now I store all my numbers in my cell phone. To make use of all these features, I'd need to carry around the instruction manual (which is 100 pages long, if you include the English, Spanish, and warrantee--although the pages are small).

The watch has no second hand. Sometimes I like to use one to time short things. Yes, there is a built in stop watch, but it is as hard to use as all the other digital features. (But my guess is the lack of a second hand will extend battery life.)

The band grabbed the hair on my arm. I had to go out and buy a twist-o-flex.

There is no stem to set the analog portion of the watch. Instead, you go into handsetting mode in the digital portion, and push a button and wait for the hands to move forward to the correct time. To set the hands forward 11 hours to go off of DST took several minutes.

The watch has a DST setting. It sets the digital portion of the watch ahead an hour. But it doesn't automatically go back after DST ends. So you still need to adjust the watch. It's not much easier than just resetting the time. And it doesn't affect the analog hands.

The watch has a world time feature. You can quickly find out the time in Bangkok. But don't expect to use this on your vacation to keep track of the local time. Press any button and you will return to your local time.

The ugly:

The analog hands are hard to read. They are a light color on a white background.

There is too much writing on the watch. Not only is it ugly, but it is easy to confuse the "10 YEAR BATTERY" label next to the 3 for a minute hand.

There is a backlight for the analog portion at the push of a button. But it doesn't give quite enough light, and it goes out after a second even if you leave the button pushed in. There is no backlight for the digital portion.
55 comments|159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2005
It says 10 year battery. If it is true, this watch is worth much more. Multiply 3 watch battery changes (what most watches will need in 10 years) times 5 dollars per. I'm on 2 years now and I'm happy with this watch. The crystal scratches easy, but a little car polish makes it like new again. I'm swimming with it often and finding that it holds up well. For a metal band watch, it is light and sometimes one doesn't realize its on. I wish the light was blue tone like my old Casio (this one's light has an orange glow) but that's not a reason not to give it 5 stars. Unlike the other Casio I reviewed, the links on this metal band are easy to remove.
11 comment|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2005
The watch is very good. The only complaint I have is that the gray ring just around the outside face of the watch makes it look cheap. I don't know why Casio included it. I now wear the Casio Edifice Blue EFA110D-2AV instead, which has the exact same functionality but does not have plastic pieces on the front and thus looks much better.
on January 19, 2008
It does not have INDIGLO like mechanism to light up the dial but it has a few lights across the rim. The problem with this is that the digital display area is not lighted enough essentially making the lights useless.

No seconds hand. And one cannot use the digital display to show seconds 'and' date simultaneously.

Adjusting analog time is quite uncomfortable. Since, the dial does not turn anti-clockwise; even if you are off by a few minutes while setting time, you have to go through 12h of adjusting.
on August 11, 2010
This is my second Casio of this style. I like the look of the face, the stainless band, and the dual display. But there are two salient problems in have found in both watches:

--changing the time (both analog and digital) is so unintuitive that I either copied the pages from the manual when I traveled or I waited until I got to an internet cafe to take a look at the manual online. Not a deal breaker for me, I knew this issue when I bought my second watch.
--the back of the case is plastic, and it easily fractures when any stress is applied from the strap spring. This is a major design problem, and both of my watches broke in the same place. Once this happens, the watch is a goner. Of course, a metal back would have prevented this issue and anyone could expect that a major watch manufacturer who bills a watch as a sports model would build a watch so that the spring breaks, not the watch itself.

The first time this happened, I chalked it up to bad luck and ponied up the small change for another watch. The second time it happened, with a watch less than 6 months old, I fumed and sent it back for warranty repair. I just got the repair estimate today, and it is more dollars than a new watch, when the whole deal should have been free.

Looks like a sports watch, is advertised as a sports watch, but don't believe it!
on June 18, 2009
Short version: don't buy this watch!

Slightly longer version: don't buy any Casio if you ever want to replace the battery yourself.

Long version: When I bought this watch, I was happy with it's appearance and function. However, after 1 week the watch died. I bought a new battery, replaced it, and it still didn't work. So, I called Casio support ([...] The woman asked me who replaced the battery. I told her I did. She informed me (very honestly) that since I replaced the battery myself, that it voids the warranty. However, I can try sending it in for repair, and just not tell them I replaced the battery. According to her, "nobody can change the battery except for Casio, not even a jeweler." Then, after I send it back in, they would write me back a quote. If I decided not to take the quote, it would still cost me $10 to ship the non-functioning watch back to me. Add in the $3-$4 to ship it to them in the first place, and it would cost me bare minimum a $3-$4 "disposal fee." Forget that. I'll just throw this $21.00 watch away.
on July 28, 2015
lost a star cause it was so hard for me to resize. when removing links there is this one pin that connects the watch that is really bouncy and shoots out when u remove it sometimes which caused me to lose it. i thought i wouldnt be able to wear but as u can see it still connects so aside from that i really love his watch
review image review image review image
on March 30, 2015
The best economy watch ever. It is my second one. My 1st one is still working, it has a black face, I just wanted a white one too. The battery lasts forever in this thing! Casio promises 10 years, I still have some time left to test that promise. Over time some of the silver color on the case may wear down since it is not a metal (except back side). Cosmetic issue and not that much visible. I scratched the glass in the older one badly, but the new one does not seem to be susceptible to scratches that much. Perhaps the material used for the glass was improved.
Where shall I start? I bought this $20 watch as a bit of a joke and to see if it could possibly be as good and as versatile as the description claimed. I couldn't imagine a cheap watch being able to keep accurate time and do so many other things--a stop watch, time in two zones, a timer, the date, memos, an alarm and a light to illuminate the analog dial. It has some amount of water resistance, but it isn't a diving watch. The darned thing even has a ten year battery, but I haven't been able to check that yet. It even comes with a reputable name (Casio).

Well, it is all true. This watch looks great and the fit and finish is pretty good too. It looks like the watch body is made of stainless steel, but under the metal cover is plastic. That's OK, nobody will notice. In fact, the watch can be an everyday time piece for active play or heavy work. It can also pass the impressive test in a more formal situation. It isn't a dress watch of course, but it does look nice.

If you want a fancy watch to wear to the opera or to a a night out an expensive restaurant this is not the watch you want. Of course you knew that because of the general appearance and function of a sports watch like this one. The AW80D-7A is one heck of a buy and it looks like it cost a lot more than it does.
on July 28, 2013
I bought this watch as a back-up to my all stainless Casio for use when the battery needs changing on it. I wore this for a couple of weeks and it slid down my wrist close to my hand. I flexed my wrist and the plastic on the case broke where the pin holds the band. The warranty doesn't cover the case. The jeweler couldn't fix it, so It's only good as a pocket watch now.