Casio Men's AWGM100B-1ACR "G-Shock" Solar Watch
Price:$96.80 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 15, 2012
I've had this for about a month. It's my third G-Shock but my fourth Casio with the Wave Ceptor technology. NOTE: I didn't get this watch because the previous watches failed in any way. I simply got bored with them and wanted something new. Those others are still running just fine.

The watch is solar powered. Mine arrived with the battery on medium charge, but after a few days of exposure to the Florida sun it oscillated between medium and high, then settled on high. It's been on high charge ever since. I didn't do anything special to charge it up, I just wore it as I would any other watch.

This watch syncs with atomic clocks around the world. It hasn't failed to sync a single day since it arrived. Imagine that! My watch keeps perfect time. If there's ever a dispute at work about what time it actually is, my watch settles the matter.

I haven't taken this watch off my wrist since it arrived. I wear it in the shower and make no effort to protect it from moisture, soap or shampoo. I know from experience with previous G-Shocks that I don't have to worry about water resistance.

The watch is relatively small and lightweight, but as my wrist is small I wear it pretty tight anyways (using the second from the last hole in the band). It doesn't shift or roll around or slide up and down my arm that way.

The watch is good-looking but the only thing that's easy to see is the time. By that I mean that the white hands stand out against the black background. However, it can be hard to see the data in the three little circular windows--in part because they're so small, but also because everything is so blacked out. You have to hold the watch just right under a decent amount of light to make out the date, day of the week and seconds count. Also, because this isn't a big flashy watch, you need good eyesight to easily see everything but the time.

The light is adequate for viewing the time but nothing else. Due to the contrast of the white hands against the universally black background, I rarely need to use the light anyway.

I will update this review if anything goes wrong, but based on my previous experience with G-Shocks I doubt I'll need to. I could not recommend this watch more highly. About the only thing it can't do is find my cat.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 26, 2013
Verified Purchase
First off I'm your typical high schooler with some shoddy job at some restaurant. I'm telling you this because the following will appeal to my tastes and I don't want you to buy this watch without doing further research because of my words.

Pros:
1) Its a wear and forget watch. You wear it and don't have to worry about batteries or even adjusting to daylight savings time.
2) The bracelet is extremely comfortable even for my smaller wrists.
3) It's a silent protest against the people with huge g shock watches for show,instead of timekeeping.
4) Full blown chronograph, I use it to keep track of things in the oven and jogging times.
5) It also has a world clock so I usually leave one for China where my grandparents live so when I do call I'd make sure I dont wake them up in the middle of the night.
6) It's different
7) Comes in a sweet tin can that I use to store money.

Cons
1) The 3 smaller dials for keeping the day seconds digital time/ date are kinda hard to read under dim lights.
2) It's different, I don't know but maybe risk becoming the black sheep if you purchase this watch? Everyone has clocks strapped to their wrists and you have a smaller g shock because you're not trying to show off your timepiece but rather be more humble and use it to tell the damn time.
3)The light doesn't really show the 3 smaller dials but you can see the hands just fine.

AFTER 1 YEAR
This g shock still serves her role well losing a total of near 0 seconds since I bought it heheheh (syncs almost every night). After mild abuse it still shows no signs of wear and tear or am I going to soft on her? Anyways every morning when I slap this watch onto my wrist I have a wide grin on my face as I know its worth every single damn cent I spent on her.
on October 22, 2012
Most of the other reviews touch on all the major points of this watch, but there are some that I found to be interesting that haven't yet been mentioned. As the other reviewers state, the watch is a good size - it isn't a giant attention-getter - and is tastefully done in all black with black lettering. This was important to me because I wanted a quality utility gizmo watch, not a giant techie nerd status symbol. Anyway, here's the stuff I like:

1. The watch has an automatic illuminator function that activates when you quickly flick your wrist at the right speed and angle towards your face. That's right, you don't need to hit a button to illuminate the watch face unless you want to. The watch knows when it is dark and only performs this function in the dark. You can also turn this function off. I love this function and discovered it the first night I owned the watch (before I had read the manual) while driving home in the dark. Incidentally, the tips of the hands are luminous also.

2. The band and little band holder thingy are engineered to interlock and stay put. Some of my favorite watch bands constantly slide out of their retaining loops and then stick out and become snagged on my pockets or other things. This watch band and stays put.

3. This watch is very lightwieght. I expected a bulkier size and weight, but am pleased.

4. The watch is water resistant to 30 BAR, so you can swim, shower and work in the rain with it with no fear.

Hope this helps! Cheers.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 16, 2012
Verified Purchase
First of all I'm currently stationed in Afghanistan and the watch arrived in six days, which was a pleasant surprise.
I've had it for about a week now and It's had the crap beat out of it and I haven't had any issues yet.
This is my first G-Shock and I can safely say I would buy another one just based on the short time I've had it.
Does everything it was advertised to do, but I highly recommend reading the manual because it can be slightly complicated to figure out all the functions.

The backlight only shines up from the bottom of the face so the digital displays can be somewhat hard to see in the dark, and it can make it slightly tough to read the time also. This is the only inconvenience I have discovered so far, but I can deal with it.
Other than the backlighting the watch is great, It's the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This watch is nothing like most of the Gshocks out there that are big and bulky. This watch has a smart design and it looks good with anything you wear. It's one of those watches that you hope casio stops making because you don't want to see a lot of people wearing it! The watch is thin and very light. The black coated metal is very handsome and the white hands stand out which makes the watch look very cool. I've owned 20+ gshocks in the past and this one is my most favorite. This was is very easy to set-up unlike the GW3000 and other analogue gshocks. Some people may not like that the light is positioned at the 6 o'clock and it doesn't have an afterglow. It has a yellowish light and you can see the time. The white hands lights up as long as it's got sun or light exposure. The watch is multiband 6 so you do not have to set the time. It's also solar power which means you don't have to change batteries.
review image review image
on February 9, 2013
Verified Purchase
Have had this watch now for a week or two. Ignore the issues you have heard from others saying the reverse lcd display is unreadable, yes it is a reverse lcd, yes it requires some light to see, if you have good eyes or nightvision, let alone both, you will have NO problems reading the lcd dials normally. The led illumination does only light up the face, but in low enough light conditions where i need the light, i dont need to see the lcd dials. If the functions on the reverse lcd dials is an issue or concern, just make sure you are able to provide a minimal amount of light of your own and you will be able to read them.

I am not normally a fan of rubber watch bands, but it is comfortable. I also have thin wrists, and was surprised that i did not have to wear the watch as tight as it goes or make another hole... I was able to wear it on the third hole. Also I didnt need to trim the excess off of the watch band to keep it from sticking out.

As expected of a solar watch packed and shipped in a lightness box, the watch arrived on a medium setting, is now on high with no deliberate charging done. This watch for me is a daily wearer, and I needed an almost completely black watch in order for it to be allowed with my tactical gear. This watch can take a beating, last long on its charge, no need to set the time, i've never had a failed receive signal for the atomic, even in areas where i barely even can get cell coverage due to metal and concrete construction in many urban environments. I also don't take it off and have had no problems with it, even having done some snorkeling and even subterranean scuba spelunking

If you want a tactical watch, tough watch, atomic watch, or solar watch. This has all those features and a few others, without going overboard with features you will rarely if ever use. Every feature of this watch I use from world time to the chronometer, countdown timer, and alarm (which is a little faint, but still noticable).

TLDR this watch is exactly as advertised and expected. The lcd dials are easy to read, but must have some sort of light in order to read. High contrast hands are the only non-dark part of the watch, and amber led illumination does not destroy night vision during critical moments when time is needed in the dark
on February 22, 2013
Verified Purchase
When you consider how much technology is packed into this watch, its size becomes all the more amazing. Unlike all of the other aesthetically challenged offerings in the G-Shock line, this watch is actually good looking. The watch is shrouded in an understated protective armor that actually affords protection to the crystal. Granted, the sub-dials are a bit small, but when you take into account the fact that this is a watch that you will never have to wind, set, or purchase batteries for - this minor design flaw can be overlooked. It's a Bradley - not an Abrams, but it's more watch than most will need.
on July 4, 2012
Verified Purchase
This is a great watch, I needed a analog watch that I could see easily without my reading glasses . This one suits me fine. I travel overseas every month and the multiple time zones are a help. I don't like the large faces on a lot of the watches and this one has a smaller face that looks good. The complaints about the lighting being too dim is true, when you need to see the smaller dials in low light. It illuminates the hands fine. The manual is a good reference to keep.
on October 25, 2012
Verified Purchase
i just received my watch yesterday and am quite pleased with it. i bought this watch for everyday use and wear, so i needed something that would hold up to use in the mountains for climbing,hiking,shooting,biking and all of the rest but still look good and function well for sitting at my desk clicking the keyboard, i think this watch fills that role very nicely! it looks great, i'm not a fan of digital watches and prefer analog as i feel it's more classy and i can actually tell the time quicker with real hands , this is one of the few g-shock type watches that had the analog face, and the others were much more expensive and who really wants to spend $$$ on a watch that is going to get beat up? not this guy! this watch was in my personal sweet spot for what i wanted to spend and the functions i was looking for. Another reason why i decided to settle on this watch is that all of the g-shock watches i saw in the store where big gaudy type things and being of average build engulfed my wrist and I'm also not the bling bling type so none of them worked for me, this one is the size of a regular watch, is sleek,classy and even kind of tactical looking if you want to go that route. in short i'm really happy with the appearance of this watch and will be wearing 98% of the time, only when i dawn a 3 piece suit i might wear something different but even then i *might*.....

functions and such;
i found the watch to arrive fully charged and ready to rock, it did take me about 15 mins to set the thing due to me living in a fairly remote and hilly area, so i was having some signal issues and never having a digital type of watch like this there was a bit of a learning curve, simple enough though if you can read and follow directions, the manual is a bit annoying though as you do have to flip back and forth quite a bit to get things going, but it's all there and easy enough to do, the world time was/is easy to set up and use , it's nice being able to see when my family is awake on the other side of the globe to give them a ring at a twist of the wrist; also the alaram functions work as they should and sounds like the classic digital watch alarm. the functions and the use of this watch are as they should be and have been easy to digest.

i will update this review in the future to comment on the durability, as this is the main reason i bought the watch, i have high hopes and expectation for this time keeping device and won't be afraid to blast it here if it does fail me in anyway. will keep you guys posted!
on September 23, 2012
This watch is elusive in more than one way - not only is it stealth colored, it also took a long time for me to find. I'd been looking for a watch that had to meet some seemingly impossible specifications, but this watch has met most of them.

Pros:
1. Solar powered: So no battery changes. Ever.
2. Analog and Digital (ana-digi): Which means it can be worn on any occasion. Swim with it. Bike with it. Wear it out to dinner.
3. Reasonable size: Compared to a lot of other g-shocks (for instance, the pro-trek series) which are too big for my taste.
4. Light weight: Even though it is reasonably sized, it is not petite. But I hardly feel the weight. Can sleep with it on at night comfortably.
5. World Time: Hit a button and the time and date are automatically adjusted. Great if you travel.
6. Atomic timekeeping: I have an older atomic g-shock that found it very hard to sync with a signal so I was apprehensive of this feature, but this one synced even while on my wrist at night.
7. Other features: It has a stopwatch, timer, and alarms as well. I don't anticipate using them since a cell phone has them all too. Still, it is nice to have this basic set of tools in a watch. Other more expensive watches have a thermometer, altimeter, barometer, compass. I didn't really want any of those, and didn't want to pay for that in terms of cost and size/weight.
8. Price: There are more expensive, more full featured watches as well as less expensive ones. This one seems fairly priced for what you get.
9. It looks as though Batman would wear it!

Cons:
1. Nitpicking here, but the digital display can be a little hard to read in low light. I would have liked the digital lettering to stand out more. Still, for me, I look at a watch mostly to tell the time, and the white hands are clearly visible on the black background - so no issues there. The digital readouts are visible enough when the lighting is adequate.

Overall, I think Casio has done a great job on this one. I'm very happy with it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations